Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I dunno, the bit where Warwick Davis was making short jokes about Hammond was pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Clarkson driving through that guy's fence and across his farm was really funny.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Yeah, I thought that was a great one. Hot hatch reviews are always good, if only because I might actually own one some day. The SIARPC was fun, and seeing the America Cup boat was really cool. I enjoyed watching Jeremy beat the crap out of the rental car too.

I'm really surprised people didn't like it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I for one enjoy when they don't just review the latest super car that's now a thousand pounds more expensive because it's two pounds lighter. I was expecting to hear that it was boring or something. I didn't expect someone to say it was downright horrible. I like hatch reviews because it's useful consumer advice even if I will never buy one. They look fun to drive. It was also fun to watch Jeremy destroy that car while making fun of rental cars. If he had picked a new BMW or Mercedes, it would just be "let's drive fast for a bit and then get there."

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I quite liked the episode. SIARPC section was quite funny and the hot hatch section was interesting (for me atleast). The race was pretty good just to see May get smashed over and over again and to see Jeremy smash a car so gleefully.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I don't know anything about cars but I've been watching this show for the last few years (including about ten million reruns) with my boyfriend. Tonight I realized that the word they pronounce "Perjo" is the word that's spelled "Peugeot".

I would listen to Richard Hammond's terrible small talk all day :allears:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I liked the whole thing but in particular using a rental for the race was perfect. Most of the cars they use for races are completely useless at the job because they have to stop for fuel every 100 miles can't go fast/do anything interesting because of speed limits and lawyers. loving rented shitbox though? Hammer down and do some off roading because why the gently caress not!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Propaniac posted:

I don't know anything about cars but I've been watching this show for the last few years (including about ten million reruns) with my boyfriend. Tonight I realized that the word they pronounce "Perjo" is the word that's spelled "Peugeot".

I would love to know how you have been pronouncing Peugeot all this time.

Pew-ghee-ot?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
If you're like most Americans, you never pronounce it, because we don't have them here.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"Poo-shoe" :france:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 1, 2013

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Here in Germany it's Pew-joe, with a soft j.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The peu is pronounced peuh, like un petit peu, s'il vous plait. In British English that ends up coming out a bit like 'peur' or 'purr' (or more accurately, puhh, because brits don't voice their r's (non-rhotic)). Geot is like joh, with a soft j sound (closest I can think of in English is 'Hajj', but some people probably pronounce that like 'Hadje')
the British pronunciation is probably closest to the French, as imagined by a British speaker. The main difference is that the Brits put the emphasis on the "Peu", whereas the French put the emphasis on the "Geot".

http://translate.google.com/#auto/en/peugeot

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Drakkel posted:

I dunno, the bit where Warwick Davis was making short jokes about Hammond was pretty good.

Jimmy Carr's "Now, I don't know what superpowers you people have" when he was trying to get Davies to be a jack and lift the car just floored me.

I liked the rental car abuse because I heard all the complaints when Top Gear were filming across the Tasman and mucking about making a mess. Good to see it was all worth while.

Also, if all SIARPC segments were half a dozen celebrities pissfarting about while having a BBQ I'd watch every one.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Grumpwagon posted:

Yeah, I thought that was a great one. Hot hatch reviews are always good, if only because I might actually own one some day. The SIARPC was fun, and seeing the America Cup boat was really cool. I enjoyed watching Jeremy beat the crap out of the rental car too.

I'm really surprised people didn't like it.
Takeaway: the Toyota Corolla hatch is badass.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

Cakefool posted:

I would love to know how you have been pronouncing Peugeot all this time.

Pew-ghee-ot?

I'm an American and never had reason to pronounce it. But yeah, that's how I said it in my head. Never thought about it.

Propaniac fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 1, 2013

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Nee-son
High-un-die
Al-loo-mini-um

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Top Gear Series 20 - It's pronounced "pew-gee-ot"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Se-LEE-ka
Im-PRET-sa
PRY-us

And my favorite: everything is a certain number of MILEzaway :allears:

E: Peugeots were sold here in the US until the 80s, so I was around them a far bit in my youth. But I always pronounced it "pew-goat" because I was five and I thought it was funny. Plus I don't think I ever tried to say it right.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 1, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

Also, if all SIARPC segments were half a dozen celebrities pissfarting about while having a BBQ I'd watch every one.

Agreed. Unless it's some big international star, I don't really care who it is. Yet, I didn't know who half the people were in that segment but I still watched it because it's hilarious. I even looked up who Joss Stone was.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I even looked up who Joss Stone was.
I don't even understand this. She was an indie darling before achieving some mainstream success, so wherever you fall on the music fan spectrum, you should know her. :confused:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Sorry, I don't really follow mainstream music. Last I checked, the rock station on my radio stopped getting new music in the late 2000s. It's weird, and I don't know where kids get their latest rock music in this city, but I like it.

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013
As someone from Ireland, I'm always fascinated by how they pronounce kilometer with an M at the beginning.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I enjoyed that episode, trashing the rental car was funny and the SIARPC had some good bits.

echomadman fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 1, 2013

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Glad to see they kept the same cinematographers on board for this series. I want to go to New Zealand now and drive on their 90 mile beach that is 54 miles long.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"When was the last time you took your car to the redline? Or you drove it flat out?"

I believe that was this afternoon, Jeremy, as I was coming home from work :colbert:

I get the "rental cars are the fastest in the world" thing, but I also hate it because it drives prices for rental cars up.

E: HOLY poo poo IT'S CHARLES DANCE :swoon:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 1, 2013

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Data Graham posted:

Se-LEE-ka
Im-PRET-sa
PRY-us

And my favorite: everything is a certain number of MILEzaway :allears:

E: Peugeots were sold here in the US until the 80s, so I was around them a far bit in my youth. But I always pronounced it "pew-goat" because I was five and I thought it was funny. Plus I don't think I ever tried to say it right.

They sold a hell of a lot of 10-speed bikes as well.

Also: Cries-ler.

You can argue some, but its an American nameplate, damnit. Say it our way.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mighty Horse posted:

They sold a hell of a lot of 10-speed bikes as well.

Also: Cries-ler.

You can argue some, but its an American nameplate, damnit. Say it our way.

Wait, how should I pronounce this?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The rental car could have used a few more neutral drops, but I liked the majority of the episode.

Cakefool posted:

Wait, how should I pronounce this?

Christ-ler

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I really enjoyed the episode, Clarkson filling out the damage form on the hood of his car had me rolling.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

kylej posted:

All the people who say "Top Gear needs to be more about real cars"... please no. That hot hatch comparison at the start was awfully boring.

Part of the problem also stems from hot hatches just being really boring cars to review in general.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

coolskillrex remix posted:

Part of the problem also stems from hot hatches just being really boring cars to review in general.

I don't know, that review kinda made me want a fiesta ST, i just wish it was priced a little more reasonably here, i mean, for $400 more you can get a fusion with the same drivetrain.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Powershift posted:

I don't know, that review kinda made me want a fiesta ST, i just wish it was priced a little more reasonably here, i mean, for $400 more you can get a fusion with the same drivetrain.
You don't buy cars by the pound. Leave the "It is more biggerer for the same money, and therefore better value" logic for "normal" people (and my mate's metal-merchant dad, who weighs in his cars after he ruins them with neglect). I can get the same drivetrain in a Mondeo for the money here, too, but it doesn't mean anything.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

coolskillrex remix posted:

I think they're ok when they do more than just drive around the track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwAasSkZ7pA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e7R3y-qwZ0

Then again I think that applies to all the reviews, doesn't have to be wacky like those, just drive around somewhere (or in James' case, drive around and get lost in the process).

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

MechPlasma posted:

As someone from Ireland, I'm always fascinated by how they pronounce kilometer with an M at the beginning.

Jesus christ I shouldn't have spent so much time trying to understand this joke.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I thought it was a pretty good episode all up - the NZ film was really nice, and the SIARPC segment was hilarious. I don't think I'll ever think of Charles Dance as anything other than Tywin Lannister again, so watching Tywin drive around the track and get lovely over his slow time was awesome.

I found the hot hatch part quite boring; they might be nice cars but I just can't get excited about seeing them on Top Gear. Like someone else said, I think it's the track more than anything, since they've done much more interesting hatch reviews in the past. But those reviews involved more than "Hammond drives a car around the airfield for an hour".

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I don't know why but I just don't ever think a hatchback looks cool.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

OldPueblo posted:

I don't know why but I just don't ever think a hatchback looks cool.

While I generally agree with that, the new Mazda3 is making me rethink things:

Granted, it's a 4-door and not a "hot" hatch (which is a loving hideous expression), but I'm sure there will be a Mazdaspeed3 at some point.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

webmeister posted:

I thought it was a pretty good episode all up - the NZ film was really nice, and the SIARPC segment was hilarious. I don't think I'll ever think of Charles Dance as anything other than Tywin Lannister again, so watching Tywin drive around the track and get lovely over his slow time was awesome.

He'll always be Sardo Numspa to me.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
It was an ok episode, but listening to Clarkson rag on alternative energy for the thousandth time is getting really old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

High-un-die

There was an ad in Australia "All day, every day, high oon day"