Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Disappointed this wasn't Redtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Dreamzle posted:

Not really - there are two games which have a bug that makes them not show the price on the confirmation dialogue (The Ball and Canabalt), but to my knowledge every other game shows the price on that screen (and if a game is done right, it has a screen before the confirmation that tells you the price and asking if you want to buy the game, though that's unfortunately not required by OUYA).

You're kind of missing the point that purchasing information should not be implemented in-game.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Uh Oh ...

Google Building Android Game Console

Google Inc. is developing a videogame console and wristwatch powered by its Android operating system. WSJ's Amir Efrati reports.

Google Inc. GOOG is developing a videogame console and wristwatch powered by its Android operating system, according to people familiar with the matter, as the Internet company seeks to spread the software beyond smartphones and tablets.

With the game machine and digital watch, Google is hoping to combat similar devices that Apple Inc. AAPL may release in the future, according to the people.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Libluini posted:

In our old company we often joked about how McAfee resembled a virus itself. Around that time I learned anti-virus companies would actually send you removal tools for removing a shittily programmed anti-virus program if something went wrong after uninstalling it. I'm not joking: You could send in a request and they would ship you a CD with the tool on it. Only for the removal of what was left of their naturally always lovely competitors, mind you. McAfee is the only case I know of were a anti-virus company needed a removal tool for its own product.

Not only McAfee. AVG needed it, Avast would gently caress you and wouldn't uninstall using their app (same for Panda), Kaspersky had it as well (bear in mind I'm talking it about these in 2007-2010).
The worst of all and a dredge for me was Norton though (hogs 100% resources, doesn't do poo poo); McAfee comes in close second (doesn't do poo poo). I apologize for the derail, though having had my share of "being the IT guy in the dorm" I get flashbacks about these sort of things.

I'm currently amazed with OUYA incompetence in terms of payment transactions. You can input an incorrect credit card number, and it's all fine (they should spin this around as a good thing - if something goes wrong your credit card is fine!) - maybe that's what causing these "security scan" errors. I only hope you can still buy stuff with such an account, but alas, a man can only dream :allears:

By the way - does anybody know which provider are they using in terms of payments?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
To be fair to Dreamzle, remember that Sonic fan game that appeared to contain a Trojan?
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/fan-made-sonic-game-triggers-anti-virus-warnings-190514162.html

It turned out to be an over zealous programmer being a bit of an idiot, not actually a virus.

I'd say that is more likely than him being malicious, although I would like to know more even just for the potential comedy.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

SO basically the OUYA is useful for emulating old games and playing phone games. Seems like I could replicate the functionality of an OUYA, plus a lot more, by just hooking up my pc to my tv. I'm still trying to understand what it is about the OUYA that made people think it was a worthwhile thing to back on kickstarter in the first place.

Console fetishism, perhaps?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Cordyceps Headache posted:

I'm still trying to understand what it is about the OUYA that made people think it was a worthwhile thing to back on kickstarter in the first place.

Smoke, mirrors, snake oil, that sort of thing.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

SO basically the OUYA is useful for emulating old games and playing phone games. Seems like I could replicate the functionality of an OUYA, plus a lot more, by just hooking up my pc to my tv. I'm still trying to understand what it is about the OUYA that made people think it was a worthwhile thing to back on kickstarter in the first place.

PC is big, ouya is small. Take on the big 3 yada yada.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

The misconception that indies are being held back by the big guys.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

theflyingorc posted:

The misconception that indies are being held back by the big guys.

It doesn't help when you have developers like Brian Fargo talking about how it will revolutionize indie gaming because Wasteland 2 was held back by the big bad publishers, and from what we've publicly seen, the Ouya couldn't handle running Wasteland 2 at all.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Yes - but your PC wouldn't be designed by a guy that had his hand on dildos (production).

My best guess currently is "I'm one of 66k people that has an OUYA - +1 to cool". Just like a fedora.

edit: drat... this thread moves fast

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I had a friend over during the weekend and we played a bunch of the co-op games. Hidden in Plain Sight is pretty cool. Sky Arena is disappointingly dull, though perhaps it'd be better with 4 players.

Towerfall, meanwhile, is singlehandedly good enough to own an OUYA for. It's kinda like a much more technical and fast-paced Smash Bros. My friend - who has a gaming PC, 360, PSP, and had a PS3 at one point but sold it - was extremely pleased with it and was pretty much sold on the system just because of Towerfall. Then again, he didn't think there was anything wrong with the controller so he's probably a bad person.

Two funny anecdotes for you guys: I have four LE controllers, which are the newer "fixed" versions. Even so, the first controller I was letting my friend use was having some occasional button sticking problems on one of the buttons. I gave him a different controller and that one worked fine. So apparently, even among the new pads there may be some with holes small enough to cause stickage. I'm probably just going to fix mine, but obviously you can't expect every consumer to do that. Or hell who knows, maybe it's only a problem with the LE faceplates and all the new ones work fine. First I've heard of stickage on the new pads.

Second story, I saw a cousin recently that I hadn't in years and he has an OUYA as well. He also ordered a LE model from the Kickstarter, and got an extra controller. He's enjoying it pretty well and he thinks Bomb Squad is pretty fun. I guess it must be genetic.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

XboxPants posted:

I guess it must be genetic.

That was my guess also.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

XboxPants posted:

Towerfall, meanwhile, is singlehandedly good enough to own an OUYA for. It's kinda like a much more technical and fast-paced Smash Bros. My friend - who has a gaming PC, 360, PSP, and had a PS3 at one point but sold it - was extremely pleased with it and was pretty much sold on the system just because of Towerfall. Then again, he didn't think there was anything wrong with the controller so he's probably a bad person.
First off, Smash Brothers is incredibly technical, and towerfall doesn't focus on ringouts. The "find an opening or trap the other guy in a bad situation to kill him" nature of it actually reminds me more of a fast-paced Bomberman in execution.

Secondly, who pays $100 for a single videogame.

Thirdly, the developer has flat out said it is only a temporary exclusive.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

First off, Smash Brothers is incredibly technical, and towerfall doesn't focus on ringouts. The "find an opening or trap the other guy in a bad situation to kill him" nature of it actually reminds me more of a fast-paced Bomberman in execution.

You might think you're cornering him here, but XboxPants isn't done backpedaling here, he's just gone so far that he's looped around the Earth and back again

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

XboxPants posted:

Towerfall, meanwhile, is singlehandedly good enough to own an OUYA for.

Towerfall is good but since it's not an OUYA exclusive there's no need to own an OUYA to play it. It'd be like saying that Switzerland is a great country because they have these metal boxes with wheels called "cars".

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Cippalippus posted:

Towerfall is good but since it's not an OUYA exclusive there's no need to own an OUYA to play it. It'd be like saying that Switzerland is a great country because they have these metal boxes with wheels called "cars".

It is currently exclusive, with plans to port because the man who made it isn't an idiot.

I wonder how many of these "it has great couch games!" fanatics were harsh on the WiiU at launch, with the obviously superior couch multiplayer of NintendoLand (which is awesome).

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

I wonder how many of these "it has great couch games!" fanatics were harsh on the WiiU at launch, with the obviously superior couch multiplayer of NintendoLand (which is awesome).

To be fair there is a $200 price difference between the two, so, expectations aren't exactly identical.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah, the Smash Brothers comparison is certainly only a very general one in that they're both arena-based 2D fighting games.

Smash Brothers certainly can be pretty technical, and I'm a big fan, I've played the various versions a hell of a lot. I still say Towerfall is more technical, though. Button-mashing is a much more viable tactic in Smash Brothers, for one thing. It won't help you against a skilled player, but a total beginner can play like that and do okay against a medium-level player, get a few ringouts, etc. In Towerfall a total beginner is at a much larger disadvantage, even if they're only playing against someone that just knows the basics.

Towerfall is also much less forgiving. If you make a technical error in Smash Brothers, it's not that big of a deal. You might get hit a few times, but you should be able to recover. If you make a technical error in Towerfall it's very likely going to cost you the match.

theflyingorc posted:

I chose my words carefully - I didn't say it was worth buying an OUYA for. It's only a temporary exclusive, but it'll be a while before it hits PC. The dev says he doesn't want to put it out on that platform unless it has a worthwhile single-player experience. He is working on that, but it's not a trivial addition.

theflyingorc posted:

I would love to play NL, it looks pretty awesome. Actually I think that friend ha a WiiU too, maybe I'll check it out.

edit:
Oh, and I don't think I ever chimed in on Halleouya. Those lyrics were inspired, and the performance was very well done too. Also whoever coined the term "JOULYA" recently that is great.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 1, 2013

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

It is currently exclusive, with plans to port because the man who made it isn't an idiot.

Yes, thanks for clarifying it.

It might be a publicity stunt, "that great game that came out for the console that no one bought", like a few games for the 3DO.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

XboxPants, you have no shame and you disgust me, I'm not even joking.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Myron posted:

XboxPants, you have no shame and you disgust me, I'm not even joking.

Sorry. :)

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

XboxPants posted:

I chose my words carefully - I didn't say it was worth buying an OUYA for.

XboxPants posted:

I mean I guess you didn't use those words but you used a sentence that means the EXACT SAME loving THING.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
/\Damnit/\

XboxPants posted:

I chose my words carefully - I didn't say it was worth buying an OUYA for.

XboxPants posted:

What the gently caress man?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Nikaer Drekin posted:

I mean I guess you didn't use those words but you used a sentence that means the EXACT SAME loving THING.

Well I guess in theory Towerfall wouldn't be worth buying an OUYA for, but if one happened to, say, "fall off a truck" then Towerfall would be your go-to game.

The only advantage to shoplifting an OUYA is the storeowner probably wouldn't care enough to chase you down or file charges. Hell, they might even thank you for clearing up shelf space.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Nikear Drekin beat me to it, so I'll just say this: xboxpants you are utterly ridiculous. All I can think of when you post is a court jester prancing around.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Well, what he meant is that if you found an OUYA in a trash bin you might take it and play towerfall. You'd own an OUYA but technically you didn't buy it.

edit: poo poo

Cippalippus fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 1, 2013

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

OatmealRaisin posted:

Well I guess in theory Towerfall wouldn't be worth buying an OUYA for, but if one happened to, say, "fall off a truck" then Towerfall would be your go-to game.

If an OUYA fell off a truck I'd probably take it because I'm pretty sure that's the equivalent of jumping on a grenade. I'd be a hero.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

XboxPants posted:

Smash Brothers certainly can be pretty technical, and I'm a big fan, I've played the various versions a hell of a lot. I still say Towerfall is more technical, though.

@joulya
Stop wasting your time practicing wavedashing and ice climber infinites, Smash Bros confirmed being replaced by Towerfall on Ouya @ Evo 2013! #thankyouforbelieving

Dec 26, 2012

OUYAs falling off trucks is a very theoretical circumstance, because it would have to be shipping in the first place and we've already seen how rare that is :V

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
You have to think of it from Xboxpants' perspective. He already got the OUYA, he can't undo that mistake. What he *can* do, is constantly look for ways to justify this decision.

So sure, Towerfall isn't worth buying an OUYA for, but as someone who is racked with the guilt and shame of having done so, it makes life bearable, at least for one more day :unsmith:.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

este posted:

You have to think of it from Xboxpants' perspective. He already got the OUYA, he can't undo that mistake. What he *can* do, is constantly look for ways to justify this decision.

I can think of plenty of ways to rectify that mistake, dude still has ten fingats.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Cippalippus posted:

Well, what he meant is that if you found an OUYA in a trash bin you might take it and play towerfall. You'd own an OUYA but technically you didn't buy it.

Yeah. :) I think it'd make more sense if I said that it's worth keeping an OUYA for. Or worth using an OUYA for.

Stalagflight is also fun enough to be an excellent value (at $0). One thing that was interesting was I noticed there is now a screen where he credits where that music comes from, haha.

You Don't Know Jack is You Don't Know Jack, which means it's a lot of fun. The YDKJ people on both have published an app for both iOS & the Play store that lets you use your phone as a controller for the OUYA game, which is cool. Unfortunately they're asking for $10 for 20 episodes, pretty pricey.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

theflyingorc posted:

Australians

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

XboxPants posted:

Yeah. :) I think it'd make more sense if I said that it's worth keeping an OUYA for. Or worth using an OUYA for.

Stalagflight is also fun enough to be an excellent value (at $0). One thing that was interesting was I noticed there is now a screen where he credits where that music comes from, haha.

You Don't Know Jack is You Don't Know Jack, which means it's a lot of fun. The YDKJ people on both have published an app for both iOS & the Play store that lets you use your phone as a controller for the OUYA game, which is cool. Unfortunately they're asking for $10 for 20 episodes, pretty pricey.

Xpants please respond to

TheStampede posted:

/\Damnit/\

What the gently caress man?

And

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Thank you.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Xpants please respond to

And

Thank you.

He's an autist who spends so much time poring over his words that he misses their actual meaning in lieu of something that only makes sense if you stare at it for an hour and interpret English as code.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Xpants please respond to

And

Thank you.

Simply put, "worth owning" and "worth buying" don't mean the same thing no matter how much you want them to. I know I'm an especially literal & pedantic person but those two phrases have a meaningful difference.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You're a lovely communicator. That's just what it is.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

XboxPants posted:

Simply put, "worth owning" and "worth buying" don't mean the same thing no matter how much you want them to. I know I'm an especially literal & pedantic person but those two phrases have a meaningful difference.

Yeah the meaningful difference comes from context, and your post didn't have the right context for it to be meaningful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

XboxPants posted:

So a OUYA is worth having but not buying? Is that what you're saying?

It's worth it if it's free?

• Locked thread