Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rockopolis posted:

Actually, here's another question; if I'm the Norse Doge of Venice, I have a Catholic bishop for my Chaplain; if I assign him to conversions, will he try to make people Norse or Catholic? If I send him to my province, will I get a message that I sent him to convert myself, thus giving me another sacrifice for the next blot?

He will try to convert people to Catholicism. But I don't know if the "foreign missionary" event will fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone know where to tweak the chances of holdings getting razed when you go a-raiding? I just noticed that it happens a lot more in CK2+, particularly when the holding has no upgrades whatsoever, and I'm curious to see how it works exactly.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Major Isoor posted:

Oh really? I was actually just thinking about removing the male-only requirement for it, but you wouldn't by any chance mind sharing your alterations to the adventures text file, would you? :shobon:
Sure. I commented out the #only_men = yes, and to the trigger conditions, added

code:
		OR = {
			is_female = no
			trait = genius
			trait = quick
			trait = strong
			trait = elusive_shadow
			trait = grey_eminence
			trait = brilliant_strategist
		}
I also did some other stuff to severely limit people raising a host against you from within your own realm, but that'd be trickier to just paste in.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Pimpmust posted:

Personally I love the Norse "Dude is gathering an army of adventurers to take your loving Kingdom" event that spawns 30 000 guys INSIDE YOUR KINGDOM.

Oh, arrest him? Dude that would be like, totally tyrannical and non-good man :downs:

I want the next DLC to add the ability to play a landless courtier, so you can go on your own adventures. It would also get rid of the game over for having no provinces, you'd have to have your last dude die in order to fully lose. Although with no land, you'd have no court, so you'd be completely at the mercy of your liege.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

DrSunshine posted:

I'll add in a CB that allows people who belong to the Cult of the Elders of the Abyss to wage wars of conversion by spending 500 piety. It's sort of like a Crusade, except instead of absorbing territory, it just forces the ruler and their vassals to convert.

Sonendar Stuff

Well that's cool! Question: do the Daxians in your game show up with the default Westerngfx's? I've been tooling around with the cultures files/gfxs to bring more graphical diversity to the island (like making the Reapers use the Russian portrait pack, the Greenmen use the celtic portrait pack, etc., simple poo poo really), but for the freaking life of me I cannot get the Daxians to use the byzantinegfx. I mean, by default they use that, or so the culture file says.

edit: Also, who are the Daxians. :v:

edit2: Also, what, if any, base-game improvements have you incorporated from other mods? Insofar as I can tell a lot of the base mechanics are still vanilla, right?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 1, 2013

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I'm new to the game and totally confused about succession and most other aspects of this game but I find myself loving it regardless. I've been reading through this thread for tips but it seems most of you get way further along in your games so I'm now looking for some "sons/daughters/marriage" tips.

Specifically, I'm reading this Advanced marriage guide and I'm a little unsure of how to identify some of the potential spouses to which this guide refers. Under the Males aka sperm bombs section we have:

quote:

if you are king-level or above then basically the sons which are heir and pretender (first 3) will be able to marry just about any landed female and this can easily be done just via the normal marriage rings
How do I find these landed females? Is this info still valid? (I am using TOG, no mods)

Basically I can crank out kids but then I start to get overwhelmed trying to find the most perfect spouse for them and either give up and marry them to some random lustful nobody or lose the game in the meantime and restart and the cycle repeats.

I'm picturing all of Ireland (and eventually THE WORLD!) controlled by my kinsmen, I'm just not sure how to get there.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

repost for this page -

For those of you who do massive, sprawling empires, what do you do with kingdoms that you can't create? Like the Hungarian empire, I can't seem to Usurp it (as a Scandinavian) and I can't create the Holland empire at all, as it was never created.

Any recommendations?

I don't want all these freaking vassals heh

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

A rival patrician had a Genius heir which was awful, so I bribed the Patriarch and he excommunicated the heir, then I imprisoned and executed him. Not so smart now you are dead HAHAHA! :twisted:

Republic question:
Every now and again a rival Patrician plots to seize my trade posts. Is there anyway I can plot to do the same?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

crm posted:

repost for this page -

For those of you who do massive, sprawling empires, what do you do with kingdoms that you can't create? Like the Hungarian empire, I can't seem to Usurp it (as a Scandinavian) and I can't create the Holland empire at all, as it was never created.

Any recommendations?

Give the vassals to other kingdoms.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Give the vassals to other kingdoms.

I do not like this solution.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

crm posted:

I do not like this solution.

Unfortunately it's pretty much the only one unless you want to manage them. I just kinda split them up between the neighboring kingdoms.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Have a person of the right culture educate someone of your dynasty, give him/her all the de-jure land of the empire/kingdom, grant them independence and enough money for them to create the kingdom/empire, wait until they get enough piety and create the kingdom/empire, then stab your way down the line until you inherit the kingdom/empire. Easy. :v:

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Has anyone had issues with the Norse Portrait pack? My game crashes any time it has to load any of the portraits from the DLC which although I'm nowhere near Scandinavia renders the character finder unusable. Clean installs of the game and then a clean install of the DLC both failed to fix it, Steam version, if it makes any difference. I can play my save without it, so worst-case scenario I just leave it disabled.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

crm posted:

repost for this page -

Any recommendations?

Honestly? I modded the game. I wanted the restrictions to still mean something, so I reconfigured it: the religious and cultural restrictions are still in place, but you can bypass them if you control every single part of the de jure kingdom, down to the last barony.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

TheDK posted:

How do I find these landed females? Is this info still valid? (I am using TOG, no mods)

Go to your son's page, click the marriage rings, then sort by rank is probably the best way. You can use the find characters menu in the bottom right and set ruler: yes, gender: female, married: no,etc. but it's a bit unwieldy for me.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Geokinesis posted:

A rival patrician had a Genius heir which was awful, so I bribed the Patriarch and he excommunicated the heir, then I imprisoned and executed him. Not so smart now you are dead HAHAHA! :twisted:

Republic question:
Every now and again a rival Patrician plots to seize my trade posts. Is there anyway I can plot to do the same?

Only if you have less trade posts than the other guy.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Domattee posted:

Only if you have less trade posts than the other guy.

Ahh.

Well no chance I guess, as I've got 10 and the other families at most have 3. Mainly as they have never had a family member become Doge.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

I just realized that I can play as the Aztecs with Sunset Invasion and The Old Gods installed. Is there a console command for triggering the Aztecs' arrival so I can have them come at an earlier start date? I found one, event ss.1, that's supposed to do it but all that does is bring up a blank alert that I can't dismiss.

druthers
Oct 12, 2012
I've got a question.
I managed to get one of my daughters a matrilinieal betrothal to some bloke with a strong claim on Scotland. By the time he hit sixteen he'd somehow managed to become the heir, even more surprisingly, the AI still accepted the marriage.
So now this guy is matrilinealy married to my daughter, heir to Scotland, and heir a good few counties in Scotland. Which in my eyes makes him a prime candidate for any spare baronies I might have lying around.
So I give him a barony and then plot to kill the current King of Scotland. (I do this rather than press his claim because this way he'll get some land as well as the title, which should help him to hold onto my grandchild's birthright).
When the ghost of the former king discovers that he should have chosen a more loyal spy-master, and my favourite son in law takes the throne, said son in law is not my vassal.
I am playing the Byzantine emperor by the way.
Now my question is how come I didn't get Scotland as a vassal?
Is it because I didn't press the claim?
Is it because Scotland has AC seniority succession(I can't see why this would matter, but I cant remember ever taking a kingdom with seniority before)?
Is it something else I haven't thought of?
(for what its worth, Scotland had medium crown authority and my Empire had high)

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I started a game where I don't have a lot of kinsmen hanging around (to make matters worse, one of them died without fathering a child). If I marry off the 3rd + sons of my kinsmen who have strong claims (so these children should have weak claims) and they have children, shouldn't that eventually create kinsmen without claims to my title?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

tadashi posted:

I started a game where I don't have a lot of kinsmen hanging around (to make matters worse, one of them died without fathering a child). If I marry off the 3rd + sons of my kinsmen who have strong claims (so these children should have weak claims) and they have children, shouldn't that eventually create kinsmen without claims to my title?

Eventually yes. Do you not let your first 3 sons marry or do stuff? As long as they stay inside the realm I generally let my strong claimants chill out as minor dukes/counts/barons. Even if you get usurped for a while, it's still your dynasty in charge anyway and the ruler they replaced was probably lovely anyways considering there was a successful independence revolt.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Nightblade posted:

Have a person of the right culture educate someone of your dynasty, give him/her all the de-jure land of the empire/kingdom, grant them independence and enough money for them to create the kingdom/empire, wait until they get enough piety and create the kingdom/empire, then stab your way down the line until you inherit the kingdom/empire. Easy. :v:

Can I not give a dude two duchies and some cash in the du jure area and let him create it himself?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Yeah, it will eventually stop being inherited. However, note the "will not be inherited unless pressed in a war" -- if they go to war to claim the title, it'll refresh whether it can be inherited or not. It won't change whether it's a weak/strong claim, though.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nolanar posted:

Honestly? I modded the game. I wanted the restrictions to still mean something, so I reconfigured it: the religious and cultural restrictions are still in place, but you can bypass them if you control every single part of the de jure kingdom, down to the last barony.

Mind sharing with the class? That sounds useful.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

nutranurse posted:

Well that's cool! Question: do the Daxians in your game show up with the default Westerngfx's? I've been tooling around with the cultures files/gfxs to bring more graphical diversity to the island (like making the Reapers use the Russian portrait pack, the Greenmen use the celtic portrait pack, etc., simple poo poo really), but for the freaking life of me I cannot get the Daxians to use the byzantinegfx. I mean, by default they use that, or so the culture file says.

Yup, they use typical Western GFX's. I like the idea of adding a little bit more graphical diversity! I think that'll be in the next version. I haven't really tinkered with them at all besides making the various dominant ethnic groups. I'll definitely be looking into the Daxians and seeing why they won't use the byzantine gfxs like they should. It could just be that it's not included in the /gfx/ file, in which case I could simply just copy them over from the base game.

quote:

edit: Also, who are the Daxians. :v:

v:shobon:v

I didn't know what to put in the space between Ghanipur and The Barrier, so I just decided to stick some Greek-ish people in there. I haven't really thought about it very much, but perhaps I should. They may just have come from one of the southern islands that I haven't elaborated on yet, some sort of cultural offshoot of one of the groups there.

Sonendar is a very attractive island, as it's blessed with mostly fertile, flat land and a central location, which is why it is such a patchwork of cultures, having been subject to so many invasions over the millennia. The original inhabitants of Sonendar were the Pachas, who have been pushed back to their mountain fastness on the Barrier, and the Ockchaws, who have taken refuge in the misty forests and swamps of the northwest.

quote:

edit2: Also, what, if any, base-game improvements have you incorporated from other mods? Insofar as I can tell a lot of the base mechanics are still vanilla, right?

None at all. I think that the vanilla gameplay is fine, but if there's any recommendations, I'd be happy to look at them. I just don't like having to sort through a lot of dependencies. Would it be a good idea to incorporate Better Armies?

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

druthers posted:

I've got a question.
I managed to get one of my daughters a matrilinieal betrothal to some bloke with a strong claim on Scotland. By the time he hit sixteen he'd somehow managed to become the heir, even more surprisingly, the AI still accepted the marriage.
So now this guy is matrilinealy married to my daughter, heir to Scotland, and heir a good few counties in Scotland. Which in my eyes makes him a prime candidate for any spare baronies I might have lying around.
So I give him a barony and then plot to kill the current King of Scotland. (I do this rather than press his claim because this way he'll get some land as well as the title, which should help him to hold onto my grandchild's birthright).
When the ghost of the former king discovers that he should have chosen a more loyal spy-master, and my favourite son in law takes the throne, said son in law is not my vassal.
I am playing the Byzantine emperor by the way.
Now my question is how come I didn't get Scotland as a vassal?
Is it because I didn't press the claim?
Is it because Scotland has AC seniority succession(I can't see why this would matter, but I cant remember ever taking a kingdom with seniority before)?
Is it something else I haven't thought of?
(for what its worth, Scotland had medium crown authority and my Empire had high)

In order for him to have become your vassal on inheritance, you would have needed to give him a kingdom-level title in your empire first. As it stands though your relatives will rule in Scotland as long as they don't get deposed, which would let you invite a random kinsman with a claim to your court in a couple generations and press it to add Scotland to your realm.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there a limit on how many living children you can have at any given time? It seems that my character just stops having children the moment he has 10 living ones, but as soon as one of them dies, he can have more.

Edit: VVVVVVVV Thanks, glad to have cleared that up.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 1, 2013

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Broken Cog posted:

Is there a limit on how many living children you can have at any given time? It seems that my character just stops having children the moment he has 10 living ones, but as soon as one of them dies, he can have more.

Yes, there is a hard limit on the maximum number of living children you can have.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I used to think the Russian Portrait pack wasn't that bad but now I'm getting tired of it. The men are fine but the women all have that weird angular chin/cheek thing and it's kind of making them look all the same. I don't think I've seen a pretty Russian woman while I've had it.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Speaking of portraits, i hope one day they release Turkish or Persian ones.

Oh and the Russian ones, the women always look like potatoes in my games. I think the African ones or Norse are the best ones yet. The celts seem good too.
I only keep Mediterranean ones on so i can have a good laugh. :v:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Are any of the portrait packs non-hideous? Just wondering for when stuff goes on sale next.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The Norse, African and Celtic ones all seem fine to me.

Honestly, the only truly awful one is the Mediterranian one, but by god is it awful.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 2, 2013

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

DrSunshine posted:

Would it be a good idea to incorporate Better Armies?

It would be a ridiculously good idea to incorporate Better Armies. :v:

What I like most about that mod is that it makes each province ~~*unique*~~ depending on what you build and also makes armies reflect their cultures. Heck, once I noticed that the retinue system used the vanilla retinues I started to make retinues for each culture, but somewhere I hosed up and everyone just built archers ohgodwhydoIsuckatmodding. :negative:

If there is one thing, only one thing that I would ask of you it would be to include CK2+'s ability to actually plan feasts/fairs/hunts, i.e. be able to plan a feast in the middle of summer and have it fire once November rolls around. It's super useful.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I haven't seen very many screenshots of the infamous Mediterranean Portraits. What makes them so bad?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Sure. I commented out the #only_men = yes, and to the trigger conditions, added

code:
		OR = {
			is_female = no
			trait = genius
			trait = quick
			trait = strong
			trait = elusive_shadow
			trait = grey_eminence
		}
I also did some other stuff to severely limit people raising a host against you from within your own realm, but that'd be trickier to just paste in.

Alright cool, thanks! Just another quick question/confirmation on the topic: Does the placement of the added conditions matter at all? (providing it's within the trigger tags, that is) Since I've dumped it all here:

code:
	trigger = {
		has_dlc = "The Old Gods"

is_ruler = no

any_claim = {
			has_holder = yes
			holder_scope = {
				independent = yes # Only do this vs independent rulers
			}
			OR = {
				tier = KING
				holder_scope = { tier = PREV }
			}
		}

OR = {
			is_female = no
			trait = genius
			trait = quick
			trait = strong
			trait = elusive_shadow
			trait = grey_eminence
		}

NOT = { # Somewhat clunky way of checking that the character does not stand to inherit any titles
			any_heir_title = {
				always = yes
			}
		}
So should that be fine, or should I be placing it elsewhere, like at the very start or end, in this situation? (I've only done a small amount of modifications to CK2's events and decisions, so I just thought I should make I don't do anything wrong, heh) Thanks

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Lareine posted:

I haven't seen very many screenshots of the infamous Mediterranean Portraits. What makes them so bad?
They look a bit leathery, a bit orange, but not too bad?

Hey, got another question(s).

If I grant my character's wife (or concubines) temples, they leave the court. Is it still possible to sire children? Some kind of complicated carrier pigeon arrangement is involved, I assume.
I require heirs, I've only got one daughter after three years of trying with a wife and three concubines. Two of them are pregnant, so, fingers crossed.
Was there some downside to having lots of kids as a Patrician? I don't even know if Pagan Gavelkind

Everyone hates my character, so I've been slowly handing out baronies and such to content characters and the like. I've been conquering the Mediterranean islands, and I'm going to need to start shrinking my demesne; lot of baronies to hand out, though I'm hoping to hang onto the major titles.

Assuming I get a pile of progeny, is it a good idea to give them lands while they're young? They leave my court when I do. I'm probably going to want to hand out my excess baronies and temples to them, to at least keep that in the dynasty.

I've had a plot running for two or three years now, with one co-plotter (on and off again), at about 80-110% power, and I haven't heard a thing from it. I'm trying to assassinate one of the barons of Venice because he has no heirs.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
The Mongolian portraits are also fairly good.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Major Isoor posted:

Alright cool, thanks! Just another quick question/confirmation on the topic: Does the placement of the added conditions matter at all? (providing it's within the trigger tags, that is)
No, placement doesn't matter, as long as it's not within some other OR block or something.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
I've only seen a few screenshots of the celtic portraits myself but the men look like halflings and/or adolescent hobbits to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
IIRC the guy who did the original Caucasian and Middle Eastern face pack as well as the Mongol and African face packs peaced out due to a contractual issue and they hired on a different guy to do the rest of them. Which explains why the first three are great and then suddenly get massively lovely with the Mediterranean and Russian ones. At least the Norse/Aztec/Celtic ones look reasonably good.

Also, the guy who did the original portraits is doing his own mod that will add better portraits all around as well as incorporate traits like ugly/attractive.

• Locked thread