Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Googling information relevant to the task at hand (ISBNs, circuit info, etc) isn't cheating and is how the game is meant to be played.

Googling the exact solution IS cheating and there's really no need for it.
:goonsay:

Except that I have a full time job, and limited gaming hours. So I prefer to spend my TSW time killing zombies and demons, rather than learning latin, music composition and a bunch of poo poo I only need to get through for a huge XP boost to help me kill zombies and demons faster. Guess I am just non-repenting cheater scum.

I do the quest steps that are straight forward, find an abandoned car, follow a GPS, follow a map using a monocle, etc. But I sure as hell am not going to spend hours trying to figure out circuits, glyphs and obscure secret access codes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

JayJay posted:

Guess I am just non-repenting cheater scum.

I'm right there with ya. I believe that if your not cheating, your not trying.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

JayJay posted:

:goonsay:

Except that I have a full time job, and limited gaming hours. So I prefer to spend my TSW time killing zombies and demons, rather than learning latin, music composition and a bunch of poo poo I only need to get through for a huge XP boost to help me kill zombies and demons faster. Guess I am just non-repenting cheater scum.

I do the quest steps that are straight forward, find an abandoned car, follow a GPS, follow a map using a monocle, etc. But I sure as hell am not going to spend hours trying to figure out circuits, glyphs and obscure secret access codes.

To me the stuff you do is the bog-standard filler and the stuff you skip past is what sets the game apart. The investigations, along with the lore, are what make the game for me.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I dunno.

If the clues can be found in game, I'll likely sit around trying to puzzle it out. As guppy said, that's the strength of the game, using my head. I'm willing to puzzle out latin, try to figure out what a poem means in the context of the area, or try to figure out what the tip of the pyramid really is.

But there are points it stops being fun, and becomes busywork. I'm not going to download an app in real life on my phone to translate morse code. I'm not going to translate a fake demonic language off scraps of paper to write out phrases. I never learned musical notes in school, and I'm not doing it now to solve a puzzle for half a levels worth of exp.

I'm willing to look up a bible online to find a specific passage to figure out what they are talking about. I'm willing to fuddle with latin. I'm willing to stand around for over an hour trying to figure out what a phrase could mean. I'm not going to bother learning new work skills for a game. I play it to get away from work, not work more.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 1, 2013

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009
Let's be clear - there are a number of good, interesting investigation missions in The Secret World. These missions legitimately require some critical thought or a seeking of some new and interesting piece of information. These ones, I think it's best that you at least try and puzzle out on your own. They are what make TSW special. That said, if you want to Google past them, that's your choice: maybe you're drawn to something else in the game, and that's ok. I, personally, like doing these.

Then there are a whole bunch of crappy ones. Hell and Bach is one of those, as is Singing Stones. (Singing Stones throws an extra gently caress you in there by making the entire thing a musical puzzle-cum-stealth mission among Fata Padurii.) They're better than a lot of MMO quests in that you have to at least somehow engage with the game, but they're generally just long and tedious. Hell and Bach is basically just one grinding substitution cipher, for gently caress's sake - not to mention at the second and third circles you have to trial and error your way to finding out what the correspondences for some of the letters are. These kinds of quests aren't what make the game fun, really. If you want to sit there for god-knows however long and map it all out, great. If that's fun for you, I'm delighted - I legitimately liked the Egypt investigation quest where you had to puzzle out the hieroglyphs, since I had taken a very short open course on Middle Egyptian when I was younger and I was happy I finally got to use that crap. But if it's law now that you can only face these sorts of quests with pen and paper at your hand and a little bit of Google for details, then you're going to burn people out on the legitimately good missions.

Not to mention, it's a drat game, and if someone finds the investigation missions tedious and other parts enticing, then that's their prerogative. Just have fun, man. :smith:

Nombres fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 1, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I cheated through about half the investigations and still thought they were pretty fun. Even if I cheated it's still cool seeing how it all played it out.

Frindevil
Jul 4, 2006
Haggis Keeper
If anyone has a trial key that would be great thanks, I'd love to try it. Even though it's only $10 I want to see :)

frindevil at gmail dot com or PM or message if you can help.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is it worth throwing my tokens at these bag of ethereal gambits? Particularly the eqypt ones, if it makes a difference.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Nombres posted:

If that's fun for you, I'm delighted - I legitimately liked the Egypt investigation quest where you had to puzzle out the hieroglyphs, since I had taken a very short open course on Middle Egyptian when I was younger and I was happy I finally got to use that crap.
:hfive: useless knowledge buddy!

Basically yeah, that's my original point. Don't feel bad about having to look poo poo up or use guides. That's it, really.

My least favourite investigation mission is The Red Thread in the Carpathians, because the puzzles themselves were kind of poo poo and tied together extremely loosely, while the payoff was just dumping large amounts of exposition on you lazily with emo diary entries. Plus the title doesn't make sense in context because it's a Japanese saying. :spergin:

Frindevil posted:

If anyone has a trial key that would be great thanks, I'd love to try it. Even though it's only $10 I want to see :)

2YBD2XGMNDCN2DN2K25S

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
What QL should i be for Savage Coast? Im at about 2-3.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Frindevil posted:

Sent it to your email, should arrive in a few.

Edit.
Well, beaten, sorry then. Oh hey got it.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 1, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is it worth throwing my tokens at these bag of ethereal gambits? Particularly the eqypt ones, if it makes a difference.

The bags of ethereal gambit are more of an end game thing for spending the hundreds of sequins that have accumulated. With that said, the real only use for sequins I have found is the Soloman Island ones, to buy a cheap QL 6 weapon.

Anyways, to answer your question: Go ahead and buy the bags, not much else to spend them on.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I like the new teaser. It doesn't actually start until fifteen seconds in because :logos:

Talkc posted:

You should be fine. In general, gear you get from mission completions in one zone are baseline for the next.

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009

Zephonith posted:

My least favourite investigation mission is The Red Thread in the Carpathians, because the puzzles themselves were kind of poo poo and tied together extremely loosely, while the payoff was just dumping large amounts of exposition on you lazily with emo diary entries. Plus the title doesn't make sense in context because it's a Japanese saying. :spergin:

I honestly barely count The Red Thread as an investigation mission. The puzzles were so sparse and there was so much combat - especially in the last tier at the chapel - that it was pretty much a normal red mission. I have no idea why they called it one.

Frindevil
Jul 4, 2006
Haggis Keeper

xanthan posted:

Sent it to your email, should arrive in a few.

Got the email, thanks so much for that!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nombres posted:

I honestly barely count The Red Thread as an investigation mission. The puzzles were so sparse and there was so much combat - especially in the last tier at the chapel - that it was pretty much a normal red mission. I have no idea why they called it one.
Yeah that's one of the reasons I don't like current Transylvania. There are so few of them, and then they consist of crap like Red Thread and Singing Stones. Singing Stones isn't really terrible but I've done that sort of quest too many times in Ogri'la back in 2007.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Talkc posted:

Just a warning though, both the Overlook Motel and the Akab mission ( League of Monster Slayers ) come in play much much further. Go run down to John Wolf and do the two Sabotage missions, then go to the Academy and do their missions, then come back up and do the Akab/Overlook missions.

Bursk
Nov 12, 2007

Bank of Bursk

orcane posted:

Heads up: Due to their digital summer sale, TSW is currently :10bux: on Amazon.

If a US buddy buys this and sends me the key (I'm in the UK) will I be able to use it okay? And are there Euro servers for the game, and if so, could I go on them if I use the US-bought key?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bursk posted:

If a US buddy buys this and sends me the key (I'm in the UK) will I be able to use it okay? And are there Euro servers for the game, and if so, could I go on them if I use the US-bought key?
The servers are global (actually they're in the US), there's only one game version and I think your billing address/location only determines what currency they charge you for their funbux/subscriptions.

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...

Killsion posted:

New Letter indicates July 8th.

Anniversary Event from July 3-7.

To quote the newsletter:

"We are excited to invite you to celebrate the one year anniversary of The Secret World! Starting on Wednesday the 3rd of July at 12:00 CET / 6 AM EST and lasting until the 8th of July at 12:00 CET / 6 AM EST"

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

alfheimwanderer posted:

To quote the newsletter:

"We are excited to invite you to celebrate the one year anniversary of The Secret World! Starting on Wednesday the 3rd of July at 12:00 CET / 6 AM EST and lasting until the 8th of July at 12:00 CET / 6 AM EST"

wow that really sucks. I'll be out of town that entire weekend. First event I'll be missing too.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

fullTimeLurker posted:

wow that really sucks. I'll be out of town that entire weekend. First event I'll be missing too.

It starts before the weekend! We can do everything Thursday nigh- oh.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

It starts before the weekend! We can do everything Thursday nigh- oh.

Do it Wednesday. Skip out on the raid to instead kill all the special bosses and blow through content.

Hugs McBunches
Aug 19, 2009
Had the pleasure to group with a bunch of fine folks in 18s today. I want to thank 'em again for putting up with me being completely in the dark about basic NM functions and DPS stuffs, they had the patience of saints.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
"There's a raid Wednesday? What?" said the QL3 character still in Kingsmouth.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
So, we got the tactical earpiece, and I think they made the best possible choice.

We actually get two: One right earpiece ripped straight off of the Orochi field agents (this was actually the one I was championing), and a reasonably bigger left earpiece modeled after military equipment. Sadly, we aren't seeing a car phone taped to the head and strapped to the hip, although I did want that.

Frankly, I'm just happy that it's visible without having to squint.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Cleretic posted:

Sadly, we aren't seeing a car phone taped to the head and strapped to the hip, although I did want that.

If they're smart, they'll add that to the cash shop. And let you wear it with the horsemask.

calranthe
Jul 2, 2009
I have been playing since beta but it has been solo play, even though the game is coming to its one year anniversary I have never done a nightmare dungeon and only completed the first dungeon on normal, this probably means that I am set in some very bad habits having done 90 percent of the solo content using a tweaked blade chaos survival build I press all of the buttons automated heal and things die.

I do have a damage build but having never really grouped no idea if it will do any good probably shotgun pistol.

Gear is basic Q10 pvp purple from early pvp play.

Will set up my mumble later today and look for anyone willing to group up, I do not really mind what content we end up doing, it is just for fun anyway when it comes down to it.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

Reverend Dr posted:

If they're smart, they'll add that to the cash shop. And let you wear it with the horsemask.

I would spend points on that.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Cleretic posted:

So, we got the tactical earpiece, and I think they made the best possible choice.

We actually get two: One right earpiece ripped straight off of the Orochi field agents (this was actually the one I was championing), and a reasonably bigger left earpiece modeled after military equipment. Sadly, we aren't seeing a car phone taped to the head and strapped to the hip, although I did want that.

Frankly, I'm just happy that it's visible without having to squint.

I'm going to transfer all my hatred to you as a representation of the rest of the RPers.

EDIT: whoops wrong thread, thanks Frankie

guppy fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 2, 2013

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
[edit]

Nevermind. Clearly accidentally in the wrong thread. ^^^^^^^

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

guppy posted:

I'm going to transfer all my hatred to you as a representation of the rest of the RPers.

Invariably, the majority of an RP community needs a good, solid punch in the mouth. The question is what they did to deserve it, and on TSW it's usually taking things way too loving seriously.

EDIT: Actually no, the TSW RP community needs a punch in the mouth because of their enforcing of their own views onto others. The tactical earpiece is a solid personification of that, but way too often they misinterpret things and just force their own misinterpretation on everybody else. I did painstaking research to ensure that my character has 'correct' opinions, grounded in established lore, and people will assue she's just talking vitriolic poo poo because that lore doesn't exactly paint anyone in a good light.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 2, 2013

calranthe
Jul 2, 2009
Had fun this morning after I made the mistake of pressing update instead of load for my dps build, thank you to for being so helpful, the builds given to me are probably a lot better than what I originally had.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

Invariably, the majority of an RP community needs a good, solid punch in the mouth. The question is what they did to deserve it, and on TSW it's usually taking things way too loving seriously.

EDIT: Actually no, the TSW RP community needs a punch in the mouth because of their enforcing of their own views onto others. The tactical earpiece is a solid personification of that, but way too often they misinterpret things and just force their own misinterpretation on everybody else. I did painstaking research to ensure that my character has 'correct' opinions, grounded in established lore, and people will assue she's just talking vitriolic poo poo because that lore doesn't exactly paint anyone in a good light.
Is your character called Lilith? If not you can't call yourself RPer, sorry.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Cleretic posted:

EDIT: Actually no, the TSW RP community needs a punch in the mouth because of their enforcing of their own views onto other. The tactical earpiece is a solid personification of that, but way too often they misinterpret things and just force their own misinterpretation on everybody else. I did painstaking research to ensure that my character has 'correct' opinions, grounded in established lore, and people will assue she's just talking vitriolic poo poo because that lore doesn't exactly paint anyone in a good light.

The best way to annoy RPers in this game that I've found is to trash talk Templars. ( which it sounds like you've had experience with. )

The entire RP community seems to have taken the "humanities savior lol" thing a bit far, and refuses to admit the Templars might want a horrible police state with them big brothering us to safety. Even though Sonnac says this upfront several times during their storyline, he sugarcoats it enough they think it's a fantastic idea. And any pointing out of this is replied to with insults, nu uhs, and a total blocking out of the "lying Illuminati trying to lie about my faction."

This is just panned down as it goes honestly. Apparently according to "RP" the Illuminati are pure evil/greed/ineptness and basically Bond Villains. So they get RPed as such. But ingame, they are probably the best of the faction when it comes to humanities future, since they really don't give a gently caress what people do, as long as they follow the Illuminati grand plan ( which seems to be get hosed evil ). And the Dragon chaos leads to balance stuff seems to be interpreted as libertarian fygming.

It's odd.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So basically ban RP and PvP. Got cha.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Len posted:

So basically ban RP and PvP. Got cha.

The only way to save TSW is to ban the 20% of it that makes 80% of the noise.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

GEMorris posted:

The only way to save TSW is to ban the 20% of it that makes 80% of the noise.

The irony of this post and who you are quoting threatens to overwhelm all of creation.

PLEASE STOP.

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...
More from the Anniversary:http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/the_secret_worlds_first_anniversary

quote:

-Double XP: For the first two days of the event everyone can claim a potion in the Item Store which doubles XP from monsters for 8 hours. The potions can be claimed once per account every 24 hours.

- Double Ability Points: For the next two days every time you earn an Ability Point you also get an additional one as a bonus! This stacks with the bonus from Timed Ability Point boosts from the Item Store.

-Double Skill Points: For the last two days every time you earn a Skill Point you also get an additional one as a bonus! This stacks with the bonus from Timed Skill Point boosts from the Item store available to those who have defeated the Gatekeeper.

Also...Gatekeeper leaving Agartha to activate Guardians? Time to kill the golden man...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

Rookersh posted:

The best way to annoy RPers in this game that I've found is to trash talk Templars. ( which it sounds like you've had experience with. )

The entire RP community seems to have taken the "humanities savior lol" thing a bit far, and refuses to admit the Templars might want a horrible police state with them big brothering us to safety. Even though Sonnac says this upfront several times during their storyline, he sugarcoats it enough they think it's a fantastic idea. And any pointing out of this is replied to with insults, nu uhs, and a total blocking out of the "lying Illuminati trying to lie about my faction."

This is just panned down as it goes honestly. Apparently according to "RP" the Illuminati are pure evil/greed/ineptness and basically Bond Villains. So they get RPed as such. But ingame, they are probably the best of the faction when it comes to humanities future, since they really don't give a gently caress what people do, as long as they follow the Illuminati grand plan ( which seems to be get hosed evil ). And the Dragon chaos leads to balance stuff seems to be interpreted as libertarian fygming.

It's odd.

This is literally exactly how I play it.

My character's not a very nice person face-to-face, she by default hates pretty much everybody, but she's also entirely about helping out humanity, not herself; she runs a charity devoted to providing education supplies to the masses, because she thinks that proper education would solve most of the world's problems.

She's with the Illuminati for exactly this reason: They're by far the most open to actually not being a lovely person, which I admit is surprising. The trick is knowing that 'profiteering' and 'beneficial for most people' aren't actually mutually exclusive. The Illuminati are totally on board with altruistic plans, just as long as they can sneak in something they can use to some capacity in the sixth paragraph of section 17. The Templars have a vested interest in keeping everyone as far under their bootheel as possible, so they're sure as gently caress not going to help a single goddamn person out of the kindness of their hearts; the only reason they're seen as 'the good guys' is because they're the only ones with the sense to lie about it.

The Dragon are hard to work with both in and out of character. Their methodology is so profoundly hosed up and overly complicated that it's hard to get a read on them in any capacity. I actually consider it a bit fortunate that they just come right out in their introduction and mark themselves as kidnapping rapists, so if all else fails there's some pretty sound evidence to hate them right there.

• Locked thread