Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I just wish they'd add the new events to the PC version somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I wish someone would do another LP.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Sharmat posted:

I just wish they'd add the new events to the PC version somehow.

They can't, they don't have the dev environment any more.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

VisAbsoluta posted:

drat, started playing yesterday and I don't have the slightest loving idea of what I'm doing, even after reading the manual and the first few updates of both LPs. :shepface:
Don't worry about running your first couple of clans into the ground. The game has a lot of poo poo that's best learned by experience, particularly the Orlanthi culture stuff that informs your decisions in events. The most unintuitive things are farming(increase farmland beyond what your advisors say, ignore their whining) and understanding how disposable/useful particular nobles are based on stats - high leadership is important on your clan leader & on your warleader but nobody else really needs it(and it can actually be a bad thing if someone has higher leadership than your leader), high combat is important on warleader(and used in exploration, but exploratory nobles are disposable by default), you'll want at least two solid bargainers(one to go do trades, one to give trade advice in events), high magic is useful on everybody, plants and animals are nice to have but not really important, and you only need one person with high custom.

Other than that, just remember to never piss off the ducks. They have friends that can wreck your poo poo.

freebooter posted:

I wish someone would do another LP.
:ssh: (There may be plans.)

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

VisAbsoluta posted:

drat, started playing yesterday and I don't have the slightest loving idea of what I'm doing, even after reading the manual and the first few updates of both LPs. :shepface:
Quite alright, some of us have been playing quite awhile, and STILL don't have a drat clue, even after the Walktopus calmly explains to us things are going to hell in a basket. :haw:

Haifisch posted:

:ssh: (There may be plans.)

Clan Chaos Cultist and the Bland King will rise once more? :haw:

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I want someone to LP the iOS version for once.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It would be a pain in the rear end to keep screenshotting from a phone and exporting it onto a computer, though.

I'd like a new LP because the actual LP archive doesn't record the comments of anybody in the thread except the guy running the show, and the whole point is that it's a communal thing.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

freebooter posted:

It would be a pain in the rear end to keep screenshotting from a phone and exporting it onto a computer, though.

I'd like a new LP because the actual LP archive doesn't record the comments of anybody in the thread except the guy running the show, and the whole point is that it's a communal thing.

I think it does link to the thread, though.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Dauntasa posted:

I think it does link to the thread, though.

Also, for the most recent one, Haifisch was really good about getting the lore posts and such archived as well.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Haifisch: I've got a clan leader right now that's mediocre except for a pretty good bargaining stat and I think it's actually being put to use. I'm doing surprisingly well at resolving events in terms of "Convince them that they're wrong" than I've done in the past, which compensates for a lot of his other issues. But maybe it's just luck and my imagination.

Which is something I love about this game. They put so much behind the curtain. It's done masterfully and really aids your immersion. I'm sure the stuff going on under the hood isn't nearly as complex as it seems, but it really forces the player to weave stories from the events that simply may not even be there.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

freebooter posted:

I don't think it would be as hard as you think to do that. You can set up an iphone or iPad to automatically dump new photos to dropbox and screenshots are trivial to take.

That being said I really wish it would get ported to android cause I don't have an ios device anymore.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Speaking of which, had a new event today I've never seen before:

I like the fact that they're colouring them now - all the other new events I've had for ios, when they weren't recycling old images, were in black and white. Although I think they always had to do with dreams so maybe that was deliberate. You can tell it's not the same artist, but it still looks pretty neat.

It's a shame that so far all the new events are of the fairly mundane variety, though; I'd love to see some more that are just really unique and weird, and some more that spark off event chains (like that insanely long multi-generational feud about the horse).

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ugh, that loving horse event-chain.

I mean, don't get me wrong. It's loving amazing the first time you see it, and it has some okay replay value.

But jesus nothing else has ever made me hate old ladies as much as that loving horse.

Get over it, you old biddies!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I thought at least Odalya was gone from the iOS shrines - is that not accurate?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Coolguye posted:

Nope, still there.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Haifisch posted:

The most unintuitive things are farming(increase farmland beyond what your advisors say, ignore their whining)

How exactly would I do this?

Coolguye posted:

As in not being able to build a temple for him, etc? Because I just checked and you can.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

andrew smash posted:

That being said I really wish it would get ported to android cause I don't have an ios device anymore.

"Android users are all pirates", or words to that effect.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It's not piracy. It's a licensing raid.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Project1 posted:

Two years ago he might have had a point about it not being worth it but people are making money off of gplay now. Still won't ever happen.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Project1 posted:

As massive a pirate i may be, i would like to give them my :10bux:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

This game is amazing to me as an academic. That detail about gay Humaktis makes so much sense in the context of "The Future is Kids Stuff" by Edelman (basically Queer Ethics is about destroying reproduction and death and poo poo), the Pharaoh is a fantastic example of a Sahlinsian Stranger King, it's all so fantastic.

I'd consider doing a KODP LP but i'd really want to show off a MAX HUNTING clan and that would basically require making GBS threads all over the participation element since voters are all basically grayn-lyfe.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's easy to see that the setting was written by an Anthropologist, not just a fantasy fan.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

andrew smash posted:

I don't think it would be as hard as you think to do that. You can set up an iphone or iPad to automatically dump new photos to dropbox and screenshots are trivial to take.

Same here. I don't have an iOS device, but KODP on android would ensure I never got anything done at work again. :v:

VisAbsoluta posted:

How exactly would I do this?
This screen lets you adjust the proportion of cropland(used for crops), pasture(used for cattle), and forest(used for hunting & keeping elves happy; also makes it harder to see incoming invaders in time) - I don't know exactly what it looks like on iOS, but it should be similar. Your nobles will tell you a rough estimate of how much cropland & pasture you need, but they tend to underestimate pasture requirements and their cropland numbers are really just what you can have while keeping your carls happiest and healthiest(but it's not a huge penalty if you go over that number, which is why you should ignore it).

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tulip posted:

This game is amazing to me as an academic. That detail about gay Humaktis makes so much sense in the context of "The Future is Kids Stuff" by Edelman (basically Queer Ethics is about destroying reproduction and death and poo poo), the Pharaoh is a fantastic example of a Sahlinsian Stranger King, it's all so fantastic.

I'd consider doing a KODP LP but i'd really want to show off a MAX HUNTING clan and that would basically require making GBS threads all over the participation element since voters are all basically grayn-lyfe.

Just do it as an anthropological study LP, I'd seriously love to watch someone explain all the cool additional details you see in Glorantha from that sort of perspective.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Josef bugman posted:

Just do it as an anthropological study LP, I'd seriously love to watch someone explain all the cool additional details you see in Glorantha from that sort of perspective.

I second this. There's some serious lore in this setting, and we already have two goon-run clan LPs

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Yeah, this would be great. It's not just anthropology - Sandy Petersen trained as a biologist (or ecologist?) which influenced how the tribes of Prax and the trolls developed.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Josef bugman posted:

You can go right to the source and pick up the Stafford Library books of Gloranthan documents, like King of Sartar, the Glorious Re-Ascent of Yelm, the Entekosiad, and the like (especially The Book of Heortling Mythology). Greg's not a formal anthropologist, but he is a tremendous nerd for mythology and shamanism and the like, and it really shows in his world-design and his writing (which is miles away from the pseudo-Greek/Norse/Egyptian pantheons of opposed good and evil gods who fight like the Superfriends vs. the Legion of Doom that you find in most other fantasy settings).

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

Tulip you must do this. I was just thinking today that I really really wish there was a Glorantha lore thread going on.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Penguingo posted:

Tulip you must do this. I was just thinking today that I really really wish there was a Glorantha lore thread going on.

Goddammit dude i was just musing. I also am not remotely a Glorantha lore expert, since that requires having physical copies of books that are not typically found in university libraries.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Yeah but a Glorantha thread attracts Glorantha spergs, like moths to a flame.

In other news,

freebooter posted:

Speaking of which, had a new event today I've never seen before:

I don't think I've ever explored other tulas. Am I missing out by not doing this?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Tulip posted:

Goddammit dude i was just musing. I also am not remotely a Glorantha lore expert, since that requires having physical copies of books that are not typically found in university libraries.

Not necessarily glorantha lore, you could do real world lore so that it all fits together and then get the various Goon proffesors of glorantha studies to come in and do a quick slide show.

Plus all of the Glorious re-ascent of Yelm and the Heortling stuff is on Drive thru RPG for quite cheap.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Here are the best resources for Gloranthan lore:

The Official Guide to Glorantha: http://moondesignpublications.com/page/guide-glorantha.
Every good book published about Glorantha is available in PDF here: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=79
This page and subsequent links is really great as well: http://moondesignpublications.com/page/glorantha
In fact digging through all of the Moon Design Publications website is great for lore tidbits.
Plus there's a really active Google+ site about Glorantha which includes a lot of detail from the guide: http://plus.google.com/communities/102577244714186267235

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 1, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I just got over 50 magic from a random event that killed my 18-year old Renowned Combat Vingan warleader. I have no idea how to feel right now :psyduck:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Random event? What the hell was it "vinga shows up and asks the lady if she wants to join up and gives you a gently caress tonne of magic for it?"

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

freebooter posted:

Wait - really? How does that work? That's awesome, though.

Edit- although it kind of sucks if they have made it blind accessible but leaving out critical stuff like clan colour on the map. That stuff's important!

Preaching to the choir, I'm afraid. I've been asking David about this kind of stuff since before the game was officially accessible. He claims the coloration is not as precise a measurement as all that, and internally is a composite of a number of factors.

I don't know, I just use the knowing god and gifts galore as often as I can. But yeah, over all I'm ridiculously pleased with the game.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

Random event? What the hell was it "vinga shows up and asks the lady if she wants to join up and gives you a gently caress tonne of magic for it?"

She got a terrible curse-sickness and with her last breath asked us to recite some poem to nearby clans so that her kids wouldn't get the same curse. Disregarding the fact that an eighteen year old Vingan probably has less kids than most Humatki, I went ahead and spread her poem about.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
Double post: I had a new scene, though am not sure if it was in this update or an earlier one.

Someone came to sell me duck eggs. I bought them, and the ducks came demanding them back. We refused, and attacked the weird duck Humakti who wounded everybody before being struck down by our chief. The ducks turned the eggs into giant unhatched stink bombs.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Penguingo posted:

She got a terrible curse-sickness and with her last breath asked us to recite some poem to nearby clans so that her kids wouldn't get the same curse. Disregarding the fact that an eighteen year old Vingan probably has less kids than most Humatki, I went ahead and spread her poem about.

Ohhhhh that is a bad/good event. It shows up when you have someone who is fantastically good at something but the game needs to get rid of them. The amount of magic is always massive.

Also speaking of this has made me by the Heortling mythology book and I still can't help but smile when it describes how trickster seduces "A century old virgin priestess, 12 leper women and a grizzly bear".

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Penguingo posted:

I got this very same event with an Ernalda worshiper, but I didn't get any magic out of it. The poem just impressed the poo poo out of the other clans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

BlindGuy posted:

Double post: I had a new scene, though am not sure if it was in this update or an earlier one.

Someone came to sell me duck eggs. I bought them, and the ducks came demanding them back. We refused, and attacked the weird duck Humakti who wounded everybody before being struck down by our chief. The ducks turned the eggs into giant unhatched stink bombs.

Oh my god that's fantastic.

• Locked thread