Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Stultus Maximus posted:

"heh, chair force pussies. I wanna be hardcore"
*joines Marines during drawdown to peacetime*

Well he'll get just as beat up as being deployed, just without the sweet Mustang GT or Raptor to show for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

i think if everyone in GiP could do it over again, we'd all join the coast guard

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That's eerily accurate.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

DRONES CURE HAJI posted:

i think if everyone in GiP could do it over again, we'd all join the coast guard

As long as my tour is on one of those small boats that doesn't go far away from land or deploy heh

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I don't know OGA I got over pretty good. I didn't hurt too badly, I got to be all :smug: about deploying, and I still got a good job after I got out. I'd just pay more attention.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

DRONES CURE HAJI posted:

98X -> 35P -> 35Q if I wanted to stay in

98G? ->35F -> contractor

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

All source guys really don't make that much money as contractors, and neither do linguists outside super rare like Pashto. The jobs are actually relatively uncommon. You're much better off going into one of the specialized intel fields. 35G pretty much the greatest job.

I mean I had an incredibly easy time in the Army, and have had no shortage of well paying jobs since I got out, but still...the Coast Guard. Just seems like the life.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Army 35T is pretty drat awesome for playing with electronics. I mean, Army, so yeah....but the MOS itself kicks major rear end. Penn State ended up accepting a total of 48 credits towards an electronics engineering degree when I transferred in because of my MOS training. It requires a year of TRADOC though so be warned.

Promotion potential is non existent as a 35T so don't even think of trying to go career if you start as 35T. Hit it and quit it, soak in the GI Bill bennies, roll around in certifications you get as a part of your MOS then get a good job and laugh at all the moto-tarded numbskulls that stay in.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

jwang posted:

Pretty set. I know some navy folks, and it doesn't seem like that's for me. Air force just have really bad rep all around it seems, what with nicknames like "cheer force" and such.

You are gonna be the loving best Devil Dawg you can be and don't let any of these pussy Air Force faggots talk you out of it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I don't know why anyone would ever join the Marine Corps set on being a pog. So you can be a hard and tough pog with a gay haircut and wear marpat and dress blues and poo poo gently caress yeah. Then again I don't know why anyone would ever go combat arms.

Disband the Corps!

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Forgive me father for I have sinned

Pandasmores posted:

Have they ever been distant from each other for extended periods of time? Marriage before knowing what military life is like for a couple is the bigger difficulty. Also, is he enlisting or commissioning?

They've been from time to time apart, but obviously never that long of a difference. He's enlisted - he's in his mid 20s and doesn't like the college game, and wants a bit more than his other options. His MOS is 94F,Computer Systems Repair. I guess its 5 months at school.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

DRONES CURE HAJI posted:

All source guys really don't make that much money as contractors, and neither do linguists outside super rare like Pashto. The jobs are actually relatively uncommon. You're much better off going into one of the specialized intel fields. 35G pretty much the greatest job.

I mean I had an incredibly easy time in the Army, and have had no shortage of well paying jobs since I got out, but still...the Coast Guard. Just seems like the life.

Yeah I think I got confused. I was talking about the imagery ones and didn't have the MOS listing handy. I couldn't remember if it was G or F that was imagery.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

the only other imagery analyst on this forum is renraku/fwf. makes us all look bad :(

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

jwang posted:

Pretty set. I know some navy folks, and it doesn't seem like that's for me. Air force just have really bad rep all around it seems, what with nicknames like "cheer force" and such.

It's been said but this is a dumb reason to not pick a branch. The Air Force has great work experience for when you get out. Unless you know for sure that you're going career (and you don't know this yet no matter what anyone tells you) you need to do what is best in the long term. Yeah the military is an adventure and all of that other bullshit that gets shoved down your throat, but you truly have no idea what you're getting into unless you have first hand knowledge. And that goes for all branches.

I'm army and the general consensus is that the Air Force has it made compared to us. Had I joined the Air Force I may not think that I have it made. It's all perspective. Don't let anyone who has never been in the Air Force tell you how awesome it is unless they have served directly in an Air Force unit on an Air Force post.

I'm infantry and the army has given me a lot. But it's also taken a lot from me as well. My mental stability plummeted during and after my tour in Afghanistan. I thought it would be all fun and shooting people and poo poo. Yeah there was a bit of that but the toll it took on me, while not immediately visible, was a very VERY heavy one that I still deal with to this day, and I got back from combat two loving years ago.

Talk to some other guys who did the same thing I did and they will tell you a different story. Nobody goes through the same poo poo in the military even if you literally go through the same poo poo.

The last few things I've said are aimed toward everyone who is thinking about joining. Seriously, don't let a single person skew your perceptions, and don't buy in to the propaganda you get from commercials and video games and movies. Admittedly, just reading GiP may not be the place to get an accurate idea of military life since we are all a very cynical bunch, but if you talk to us one on one I'm sure you could get a better idea of what's in store for you. Get a big sample size of what military life is like and don't put all of your trust in the advice from Dave who lives down the street who loved it.

The military can be a GREAT thing for a lot of people. But it seriously isn't for everyone. I wish I could go back five years and follow my own advice.

Do the most thorough investigation you can ever imagine someone ever doing. Pretend like you're an overprotective dad and your daughter is about to go on her first date. You'd want to know everything about the motherfucker who is trying to deflower your precious little girl right? The military is that motherfucker. Learn everything you can.

Cole fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 2, 2013

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I look around at work and all I see are miserable tired Lance corporals who can't get promoted and live in the barracks even though they are on their second tour already, and Navy second classes living off base with enough cash for booze to make the pain go away. This is a technical job.

Join the Marines. Great idea.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

but who wants to get associated with a branch that is called the chairforce LOL

Marines have history and tradition man!

Oh yeah and USMC doesn't get BAH until e-6 btw. It's funny how many dudes are married. I've seen 1 single E-5 out of like 30

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 2, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Ya, upon being promoted to E-4, I was given a 30 days to vacate notice to find a place while stationed in Germany. The Air Force is so stupid. Don't join it ever.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

but who wants to get associated with a branch that is called the chairforce LOL

Marines have history and tradition man!

The Marine Corps is the only branch of the U.S. Armed Forces that recruits people specifically to Fight. The Army emphasizes personal development (an Army of One), the Navy promises fun (let the journey begin), the Air Force offers security (its a great way of life).Missing from all the advertisements is the hard fact that a soldier's life is to suffer and perhaps to die for his people and take lives at the risk of his/her own.Even the thematic music of the services reflects this evasion. The Army's Caisson Song describes a pleasant country outing. Over hill and dale, lacking only a picnic basket. Anchors Aweigh...the Navy's celebration of the joys of sailing could have been penned by Jimmy Buffet. The Air Force song is a lyric poem of blue skies and engine thrust. All is joyful, and invigorating, and safe. There are no land mines in the dales nor snipers behind the hills, no submarines or cruise missiles threaten the ocean jaunt, no bandits are lurking in the wild blue yonder.The Marines' Hymn, by contrast, is all combat. "We fight our Country's battles," "First to fight for right and freedom," "We have fought in every clime and place where we could take a gun," "In many a strife we have fought for life and never lost our nerve."The choice is made clear. You may join the Army to go to adventure training, or join the Navy to go to Bangkok, or join the Air Force to go to computer school.You join the Marine Corps to go to War!

Stop a soldier on the street and ask him to name a battle of World War One. Pick a sailor at random and ask for a description of the epic fight of the Bon Homme Richard. Ask an airman who Major Thomas McGuire was and what is named after him. I am not carping and there is no sheer in this criticism. All of the services have glorious traditions but no one teaches the young soldier, sailor or airman what his uniform means and why he should be proud of it.But...ask a Marine about World War One and you will hear of the wheat field at Belleau Wood and the courage of the Fourth Marine Brigade comprised of the Fifth and Sixth Marines. Faced with an enemy of superior numbers entrenched in tangled forest undergrowth the Marines received an order to attack that even the charitable cannot call ill-advised. It was insane. Artillery support was absent and air support hadn't been invented yet. Even so the Brigade charged German machine guns with only bayonets, grenades, and an indomitable fighting spirit. A bandy-legged little barrel of a Gunnery Sergeant, Daniel J. Daly, rallied his company with a shout, "Come on you sons a *****es, do you want to live forever?" He took out three machine guns himself.French liaison-officers hardened though they were by four years of trench bound slaughter were shocked as the Marines charged across the open wheat field under a blazing sun directly into the teeth of enemy fire. Their action was so anachronistic on the twentieth-century field of battle that they might as well have been swinging cutlasses. But the enemy was only human. The Boche could not stand up to the onslought.So the Marines took Belleau Wood. The Germans, those that survived, thereafter referred to the Marines as "Tuefel Hunden" (Devil Dogs) and the French in tribute renamed the woods "Bois de la Brigade de Marine" (Woods of the Brigade of Marines).Every Marine knows this story and dozens more. We are taught them in boot camp as a regular part of the curriculum. Every Marine will always be taught them! You can learn to don a gas mask anytime, even on the plane in route to the war zone, but before you can wear the Eagle, Globe and Anchor and claim the title United States Marine you must first know about the Marines who made that emblem and title meaningful. So long as you can march and shoot and revere the legacy of the Corps you can take your place in line.

A soldier wears branch of service insignia on his collar, metal shoulder pins and cloth sleeve patches to identify his unit. Sailors wear a rating badge that identifies what they do for the Navy. Marines wear only the Eagle, Globe and Anchor together with personal ribbons and their CHERISHED marksmanship badges. They know why the uniforms are the colors they are and what each color means. There is nothing on a Marine's uniform to indicate what he or she does nor what unit the Marine belongs to. You cannot tell by looking at a Marine whether you are seeing a truck driver, a computer programmer or a machine gunner or a cook or a baker. The Marine is amorphous, even anonymous, by conscious design. The Marine is a Marine.Every Marine is a rifleman first and foremost, a Marine first, last and Always!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

troll or not :stare:

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 2, 2013

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Stultus Maximus posted:

The Marine Corps is the only branch of the U.S. Armed Forces that recruits people specifically to Fight. The Army emphasizes personal development (an Army of One), the Navy promises fun (let the journey begin), the Air Force offers security (its a great way of life).Missing from all the advertisements is the hard fact that a soldier's life is to suffer and perhaps to die for his people and take lives at the risk of his/her own.Even the thematic music of the services reflects this evasion. The Army's Caisson Song describes a pleasant country outing. Over hill and dale, lacking only a picnic basket. Anchors Aweigh...the Navy's celebration of the joys of sailing could have been penned by Jimmy Buffet. The Air Force song is a lyric poem of blue skies and engine thrust. All is joyful, and invigorating, and safe. There are no land mines in the dales nor snipers behind the hills, no submarines or cruise missiles threaten the ocean jaunt, no bandits are lurking in the wild blue yonder.The Marines' Hymn, by contrast, is all combat. "We fight our Country's battles," "First to fight for right and freedom," "We have fought in every clime and place where we could take a gun," "In many a strife we have fought for life and never lost our nerve."The choice is made clear. You may join the Army to go to adventure training, or join the Navy to go to Bangkok, or join the Air Force to go to computer school.You join the Marine Corps to go to War!

Stop a soldier on the street and ask him to name a battle of World War One. Pick a sailor at random and ask for a description of the epic fight of the Bon Homme Richard. Ask an airman who Major Thomas McGuire was and what is named after him. I am not carping and there is no sheer in this criticism. All of the services have glorious traditions but no one teaches the young soldier, sailor or airman what his uniform means and why he should be proud of it.But...ask a Marine about World War One and you will hear of the wheat field at Belleau Wood and the courage of the Fourth Marine Brigade comprised of the Fifth and Sixth Marines. Faced with an enemy of superior numbers entrenched in tangled forest undergrowth the Marines received an order to attack that even the charitable cannot call ill-advised. It was insane. Artillery support was absent and air support hadn't been invented yet. Even so the Brigade charged German machine guns with only bayonets, grenades, and an indomitable fighting spirit. A bandy-legged little barrel of a Gunnery Sergeant, Daniel J. Daly, rallied his company with a shout, "Come on you sons a *****es, do you want to live forever?" He took out three machine guns himself.French liaison-officers hardened though they were by four years of trench bound slaughter were shocked as the Marines charged across the open wheat field under a blazing sun directly into the teeth of enemy fire. Their action was so anachronistic on the twentieth-century field of battle that they might as well have been swinging cutlasses. But the enemy was only human. The Boche could not stand up to the onslought.So the Marines took Belleau Wood. The Germans, those that survived, thereafter referred to the Marines as "Tuefel Hunden" (Devil Dogs) and the French in tribute renamed the woods "Bois de la Brigade de Marine" (Woods of the Brigade of Marines).Every Marine knows this story and dozens more. We are taught them in boot camp as a regular part of the curriculum. Every Marine will always be taught them! You can learn to don a gas mask anytime, even on the plane in route to the war zone, but before you can wear the Eagle, Globe and Anchor and claim the title United States Marine you must first know about the Marines who made that emblem and title meaningful. So long as you can march and shoot and revere the legacy of the Corps you can take your place in line.

A soldier wears branch of service insignia on his collar, metal shoulder pins and cloth sleeve patches to identify his unit. Sailors wear a rating badge that identifies what they do for the Navy. Marines wear only the Eagle, Globe and Anchor together with personal ribbons and their CHERISHED marksmanship badges. They know why the uniforms are the colors they are and what each color means. There is nothing on a Marine's uniform to indicate what he or she does nor what unit the Marine belongs to. You cannot tell by looking at a Marine whether you are seeing a truck driver, a computer programmer or a machine gunner or a cook or a baker. The Marine is amorphous, even anonymous, by conscious design. The Marine is a Marine.Every Marine is a rifleman first and foremost, a Marine first, last and Always!

This is the best thing I've ever read in this thread.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That is like the once in a while crazy posts I make whilst on a bender, but PRO service.

...I'm not sure what is going on here, my mind is broken.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
But seriously if you're joining the military to join the military why wouldn't you go Marine Corps Infantry?

You're going to hate yourself no matter what, might as well go full retard.

If you're enlisting for a security clearance or to learn those IN DEMAND TECHNICAL SKILLS or whatever I guess good luck with that.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
It's a copy/paste from somewhere else. I don't know who the quote should be attributed to.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

haha yeah that poo poo is all over google

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Hell, the only reason I'm a Corpsman is because when I walked into the recruiting office for the Marines they had told me that all the infantry jobs were taken, and even though I qualified physically for the spec ops poo poo later on in DEP, I'd still be denied a contract into it because I was too blind. 'Rah, Kill, live in moldy barracks.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I thought a lot of stuff about Marines were exagerations. Then I watched their SAPR video and got knife handed by a 4 star with intense music playing in the background. Marines.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OALilbKNSYI

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

jwang posted:

So, I'm joining the Marines. Horrible decision, etc., yeah I know. Somewhere down the line, I'll hate myself for even thinking about doing this. However, what I want to know at the moment is what MOS is least likely to make me hate myself even more. I would like something dealing with electronics, but from what I've dug up on Google it seems that the promotion rate of the 59 MOS would make me terribly depressed. What options are there for me?

If you are dead set on being a Marine POG go into the logistics field. The promotion rates are pretty fast. A lot of former grunts lat move into the field because you can hang out with infantry dudes without having to actually do infantry bullshit. Also, though I hear it's kind of boring, there are plenty of logistics jobs in the civilian sector that experience embarking troops and gear will help you get.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Hekk posted:

Also, though I hear it's kind of boring, there are plenty of logistics jobs in the civilian sector that experience embarking troops and gear will help you get.

eh. I don't know about that. If a Marine 04xx applied for a job with my company, they wouldn't get any extra consideration for being a logistics guy. An officer/SNCO would but they're involved in the actual decision making process, not LCpl Showershoe running a forklift.

Almost anything to do with aircraft is like a guaranteed ticket to a job. My buddy works for an aerospace staffing firm and he always has way more openings than qualified applicants.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Veins McGee posted:

Almost anything to do with aircraft is like a guaranteed ticket to a job. My buddy works for an aerospace staffing firm and he always has way more openings than qualified applicants.

This. The helicopter mech for the medical bird based at the little podunk local airport I used to work at was pulling down like 60k and not having to work all that hard for it, either. Airplanes and helicopters aren't going away anytime soon.

Duskfiend
Apr 5, 2011

Awwwk! Awwwk!
Hello thread, I'm 19 and I have Crohn's Disease. Cursory Googling leads me to believe that the Navy will not waive me in. Is there really nothing at all I can do? With medication my symptoms are gone, but the meds require about 4 hours of IV every 8 weeks, plus daily pills.

I want to join the Navy and I hope you guys can give some answers. I've read the OP and I am probably just being ignorant on purpose so I don't have to hear what I know will disappoint me :(

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Duskfiend posted:

Hello thread, I'm 19 and I have Crohn's Disease. Cursory Googling leads me to believe that the Navy will not waive me in. Is there really nothing at all I can do? With medication my symptoms are gone, but the meds require about 4 hours of IV every 8 weeks, plus daily pills.

I want to join the Navy and I hope you guys can give some answers. I've read the OP and I am probably just being ignorant on purpose so I don't have to hear what I know will disappoint me :(

Forget it. Sorry.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Victor Vermis posted:

But seriously if you're joining the military to join the military why wouldn't you go Marine Corps Infantry?

You're going to hate yourself no matter what, might as well go full retard.

If you're enlisting for a security clearance or to learn those IN DEMAND TECHNICAL SKILLS or whatever I guess good luck with that.

Army Infantry gets better gear. v:shobon:v

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Duskfiend posted:

Out of the question. There was a guy in my A-school who they thought had Crohn's, separation paperwork started the next day (turns out he was misdiagnosed, but that's a sign).

Duskfiend
Apr 5, 2011

Awwwk! Awwwk!

Pandasmores posted:

Out of the question. There was a guy in my A-school who they thought had Crohn's, separation paperwork started the next day (turns out he was misdiagnosed, but that's a sign).

Vasudus posted:

Forget it. Sorry.

Ok. :(
Thank you for this. Back to school for me.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Duskfiend posted:

It's ok the military sucks.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Duskfiend posted:

Read the civvie thread to laugh at how many of us wish we were in your position (young and in college).

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

Army Infantry gets better gear. v:shobon:v

(fart)

I dunno. Sure, it would be nice to have nice things, but I can't think of anything that would absolutely increase my quality of life in the infantry gear-wise. An automated turret vice getting launched from the top of a truck when it hits an IED is the only thing that comes to mind, but I don't know how widespread those are/were in the Army while I was in.

Fancier compass, fancier GPS, fancier mortar ballistic computer.. meh. The amount of use those things get varies as wildly as any given individual's experience while in the infantry, I imagine. And it's not like there's a lot of room for improvement on those things, anyways. We always trained with older beat-up stuff but ultimately had decent gear on deployments.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Victor Vermis posted:

(fart)

I dunno. Sure, it would be nice to have nice things, but I can't think of anything that would absolutely increase my quality of life in the infantry gear-wise. An automated turret vice getting launched from the top of a truck when it hits an IED is the only thing that comes to mind, but I don't know how widespread those are/were in the Army while I was in.

Fancier compass, fancier GPS, fancier mortar ballistic computer.. meh. The amount of use those things get varies as wildly as any given individual's experience while in the infantry, I imagine. And it's not like there's a lot of room for improvement on those things, anyways. We always trained with older beat-up stuff but ultimately had decent gear on deployments.

I dunno, honestly gear was about the only thing different I saw between Army and Marine Infantry. Worked with lots of Marines in Al-Anbar and yeah didn't seem like one services Infantry was more capable than the other or anything. I'm sure there's more difference in garrison life or something but I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloudy McPouty
Jun 12, 2013

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

I dunno, honestly gear was about the only thing different I saw between Army and Marine Infantry. Worked with lots of Marines in Al-Anbar and yeah didn't seem like one services Infantry was more capable than the other or anything. I'm sure there's more difference in garrison life or something but I dunno.

In any of the modern militaries in the world, a grunt is a grunt is a grunt. There are only so many battledrills, it takes all of a few months a year of training to become proficient at the Fireteam through Battalion level.

The rest of any grunt's time is spent wondering why you are even at work. So yeah, no difference in Army vs Marine infantry anywhere really.

• Locked thread