Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011
I added pages for The Litany of the Jewels, The Passage to the New World, and a stub for Cask.

The connection between cultures and gemstones was something I put a little time into the other day, and I'm going to put together a page associating each culture/gemstone with each painting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Meat Street posted:

I've stubbed out pages for each cask on the wiki, and added them to a category that's linked from the front page. More to come... feel free to jump in, getting things copy/pasted is going to be the first order of business.
Infoboxes would be really helpful, you need to installa couple of MediaWiki extensions to get them working, though.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Importing_Wikipedia_infoboxes_tutorial

Bloke
May 22, 2004

Very Nice Eraser posted:

I added pages for The Litany of the Jewels, The Passage to the New World, and a stub for Cask.

The connection between cultures and gemstones was something I put a little time into the other day, and I'm going to put together a page associating each culture/gemstone with each painting.

That's interesting, particularly mention of the loup garoux and fays of france for new orleans.

Meat Street
Oct 17, 2004

knowin' nothin' in life but to be legit
Yep, I found that link earlier, and I'm going to look into getting them set up soon. We'll definitely have enough categories/page types to justify them.

e: The template for Infoboxes has been imported along with the requisite extension, but I don't have time to mess with it any more right now. Feel free to give it a shot!

Meat Street fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 1, 2013

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011
I'd appreciate some feedback on the content on my page. I went through each painting, identifying gemstones, flowers, times, and cultural themes, and tried to tie each one to a gemstone and fairy nation (as described in the Litany of the Jewels) and a month. The first few are really clear and easy, but they get pretty vague near the end.

Edit: I think it would be good if we started discussing the paintings separate from the cask numbers. For example, say "verse 1" instead of "cask 1", since I don't think we really know how the casks are numbered.

Specifically I see a problem with the Chicago discovery. Painting 4 (in book order) + verse 5 (in book order) = cask 5 (labeled with a clock pointing to 5) and supposedly an emerald (birthstone for the fifth month: May). The Litany of the Jewels clearly associates the Celtic fairies with the emerald, which would point to painting 11 and its clear Irish themes. If, instead, cask 5 resulted in a peridot (also a green gem) then things make more sense, since the Litany associates Italy with the peridot and painting 5 has somewhat Italian themes.

Knowing that the author screwed up the gem/cask association at least once (with the 2004 discovery of the cask corresponding to painting 4, for which he rewarded the sapphire instead of the aquamarine) I think it would be good to be clear which verse/painting/gemstone we're talking about, regardless of what might be written on the cask.

Very Nice Eraser fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 1, 2013

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm working on the Cask 12 page right now and transcribing my breakdown of the image from earlier in the thread. For the image files I uploaded, I tagged them [[Category:Cask12]] and used the naming convention C##Element.xxx (for example: C12Bird.png) for the individual elements. I right-justified the picture for now until we have an infobox module installed. I'd appreciate any feedback on the way I'm laying out the page. I'll finish up the Cask 12 page in a few hours, I have to leave in a few minutes to catch a train. Here's the Cask12 category, it's just media for now http://secretwiki.tomburns.net/index.php?title=Category:Cask12

edit: also, I want an "Urban Smurf Fan Club" userbox for my user page.

double edit:

Very Nice Eraser posted:

Edit: I think it would be good if we started discussing the paintings separate from the cask numbers. For example, say "verse 1" instead of "cask 1", since I don't think we really know how the casks are numbered.
It seems like we've been determining Cask number by the order in which the painting appears in the book, I'd stick with that.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 1, 2013

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

GWBBQ posted:

It seems like we've been determining Cask number by the order in which the painting appears in the book, I'd stick with that.

That's fine, except that the actual casks have clocks painted on them which indicate a number not necessarily equal to either the painting or the verse or the birthstone month. My current efforts are to tie these three pieces of information together; so long as we're clear that we're not concerned with the number painted on the cask, I guess it doesn't matter.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Very Nice Eraser posted:

That's fine, except that the actual casks have clocks painted on them which indicate a number not necessarily equal to either the painting or the verse or the birthstone month. My current efforts are to tie these three pieces of information together; so long as we're clear that we're not concerned with the number painted on the cask, I guess it doesn't matter.
Let's put a note for it in the info box when we get one made. If we get to the point that we see the number on the cask, who cares what we're calling it? :buddy:

Also, here's my work so far on Cask 12, I'd appreciate any feedback http://secretwiki.tomburns.net/index.php?title=Cask_12

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Neutrino posted:

I would be willing to bet my left nut sack that this artist was no different in his use of the tool.

You have more than one nut sack? :haw:

allta
Mar 28, 2011
Added a link to the wiki in the op and I'll probably start contributing to the pages on it when I get more free time tonight!

Also thank you Meet Street!

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

GWBBQ posted:

I'm working on the Cask 12 page right now and transcribing my breakdown of the image from earlier in the thread. For the image files I uploaded, I tagged them [[Category:Cask12]] and used the naming convention C##Element.xxx (for example: C12Bird.png) for the individual elements. I right-justified the picture for now until we have an infobox module installed. I'd appreciate any feedback on the way I'm laying out the page. I'll finish up the Cask 12 page in a few hours, I have to leave in a few minutes to catch a train. Here's the Cask12 category, it's just media for now http://secretwiki.tomburns.net/index.php?title=Category:Cask12

edit: also, I want an "Urban Smurf Fan Club" userbox for my user page.

double edit:

I like the way the image number is the cask number. It simplifies identification.

For my part I am going through the old sites and capturing the older pics and will make a central album for each cask.

Can we give the smurf his own wiki?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

allta posted:

Added a link to the wiki in the op and I'll probably start contributing to the pages on it when I get more free time tonight!

Also thank you Meet Street!

Yeah, this looks pretty good. I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no Wiki pages, so I appreciate what you all are doing. It should help get all this organized so we don't have to drag through 100 pages of posts to see if an idea has been brought up before.

Meat Street
Oct 17, 2004

It's not hard to do once you poke around a little bit. Don't worry too much about messing up; rollbacks are pretty simple.

Oh, by the way, we have Userboxes: http://secretwiki.tomburns.net/index.php?title=Template:Userbox

e: I'll just leave this here {{UrbanSmurfBox}}

http://secretwiki.tomburns.net/index.php?title=Template:UrbanSmurfBox

Meat Street fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 1, 2013

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Meat Street posted:

Wiki is online: http://secretwiki.tomburns.net

You'll need an account, but feel free to sign up and start editing; I've tested image uploads and it looks like we're all set.

Don't forget, there was a Secret Wiki before we came along. It was hard to see because it was buried in the initial posts.

It would be a good idea to grab any data from there, as well as any historical context from Q4T, for those of us that have accounts there. The forums at Q4T have some very valuable data, but it's difficult to get an account there -- plus, they'd like access to the information we find, but our forum requires a $10 membership. I think it's better if we work together on this, and this wiki might be a good bridge.

I know some of us have been focusing on one cask -- for instance, I'm primarily concerned with Houston. Those of us with this kind of comprehensive knowledge should dedicate a little time to work on that part of the wiki. With as many pages as this thread has, it's difficult for new hunters to understand what's been discovered and for older hunters to remember the same information. I'm sure a lot has been lost.

I'll try to devote some time this evening to working this out for Houston.

Meat Street
Oct 17, 2004

I've been looking, but it doesn't look like there's a programmatic way to import from PBWiki to MediaWiki. Any and all manual copies are welcome on the new wiki; I just haven't had time to start.

Guuse
May 11, 2009
We might want to include the picture scans that were done earlier in the thread. They're clearer than the ones in the OP.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46823115@N02/sets/72157633959792176/

I think someone else scanned at least part of the text, but I can't find the link for that now.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005

Meat Street posted:

Wiki is online

Thank you so much! This is going to be the tipping point in the hunt, I think.

I got userid 8 for Boston's month!

Grand Poobah
Jun 20, 2005

Dr. Bit posted:

Not to defend my own find here, but the pattern is an exact match. It's the only place in town we've seen this pattern, and it's right in the area where our clues are pointing to and on a major street. The pattern is not just in one small spot either, it extends the length of block. There are 2 full blocks of this pattern, on both the north and east side of the building.

Edit: I mean, the pattern is prominent enough that I recognized it while driving past it.

I'm not discounting what you are saying, but it is a pretty common brick pattern. I was in Green Bay last week and snapped a photo of the exact same bricks on a restaurant I was standing outside of. I'd be willing to bet you could find it all over Milwaukee. That said, in the right location, I think it could very well be a clue.

EDIT: You can even buy them at Home Depot http://tinyurl.com/n22tbwd

Grand Poobah fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 2, 2013

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011
Nesetril added a 'Birthstones and flowers' page to the wiki that shows better what went wrong with casks 5 and 11. The flower in cask 5 is definitely a lily of the valley (I was trying to match a lily not of the valley) which means cask 5 is certainly 'May' and Priess was right to label the cask with a clock pointing to 5 and to award the 1984 finder with an emerald. It also means that cask 11, having the only other green gem, must be the peridot.

However, the fairy nation for cask 11 is clearly Celtic: the red-haired lady, the pattern on her dress.. And cask 5 is definitely Italian if it's anything. But the Litany of the Jewels says that Italy is associated with peridot and Celtic is associated with sapphire. So it's almost certainly a mistake: they swapped Celtic and Italy in the Litany.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Very Nice Eraser posted:

But the Litany of the Jewels says that Italy is associated with peridot and Celtic is associated with sapphire.

You mean Emerald (instead of sapphire).

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I added a bit to the Wiki on Cask 12 about the overall window. Feel free to move or adjust as necessary.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Very Nice Eraser posted:

Nesetril added a 'Birthstones and flowers' page to the wiki that shows better what went wrong with casks 5 and 11. The flower in cask 5 is definitely a lily of the valley (I was trying to match a lily not of the valley) which means cask 5 is certainly 'May' and Priess was right to label the cask with a clock pointing to 5 and to award the 1984 finder with an emerald. It also means that cask 11, having the only other green gem, must be the peridot.

However, the fairy nation for cask 11 is clearly Celtic: the red-haired lady, the pattern on her dress.. And cask 5 is definitely Italian if it's anything. But the Litany of the Jewels says that Italy is associated with peridot and Celtic is associated with sapphire. So it's almost certainly a mistake: they swapped Celtic and Italy in the Litany.

I thought cask 11 was England, with her gem then a garnet and the flower a snowdrop. Garnets come in virtually any color.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Meat Street posted:

I've been looking, but it doesn't look like there's a programmatic way to import from PBWiki to MediaWiki. Any and all manual copies are welcome on the new wiki; I just haven't had time to start.

I'm not too familiar with wiki software but, can we mirror it? I'd gladly donate some hosting space for a mirror to add a bit of redundancy.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I'm not sure how much we want to pull from the other Wiki... it's a mess, most of it is probably not all that "valid" in the first place. Maybe copy and paste the text, definitely keep the breakdowns of the solved puzzles, but I'm not sure that all of the assumptions should be brought over.

If I learned one thing from this it's that there was really nothing special over at Q4T. Some good analysis and theories, but I think on 2-4 different casks we've made significantly greater progress in 3 months than they have in almost a decade. Just because they thought of it and it was behind closed doors doesn't actually make it useful.

Meat Street
Oct 17, 2004

crashdome posted:

I'm not too familiar with wiki software but, can we mirror it? I'd gladly donate some hosting space for a mirror to add a bit of redundancy.

I can definitely scrape the site, but I agree that it seems like there's more noise than signal over there. In the short term it'd be great to comb for the gems and paste dump them into the new wiki on appropriate pages. We can organize and finesse things from there.

Grand Poobah
Jun 20, 2005
I'm reluctant to post this, as I know I'll get crucified, but what the hell. I just went on a whim that a cask could be buried in DC. If nothing else, I learned a little bit more about a city where there are a million things to learn about.

I zero'ed in on Cask 12, Verse 10, as it seemed to have some easy to fit clues to DC (although I'm certain you could probably shoehorn almost anything into all of the clues that DC gives). I know it's common knowledge that this is for NYC, but after seeing some of the theories posted, I figured why not post it, and maybe it sparks something. I'm sure I'm missing something blatantly obvious (aside from the Statue of Liberty and Chrysler building links), that will discredit all of this.

Grand Poobah fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 2, 2013

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grand Poobah posted:

I'm reluctant to post this, as I know I'll get crucified, but what the hell. I just went on a whim that a cask could be buried in DC. If nothing else, I learned a little bit more about a city where there are a million things to learn about.

I zero'ed in on Cask 12, Verse 10, as it seemed to have some easy to fit clues to DC (although I'm certain you could probably shoehorn almost anything into all of the clues that DC gives). I know it's common knowledge that this is for NYC, but after seeing some of the theories posted, I figured why not post it, and maybe it sparks something. I'm sure I'm missing something blatantly obvious (aside from the Statue of Liberty and Chrysler building links), that will discredit all of this.

That's as good as anything we've got on NYC. I think Cask 12 is going to be a primarily verse-based solution, as there seems to be little in the picture that is distinctive enough to go on. See what you can do with the verse that makes sense. I suspect that most of the game is picking the right "grey giant" so that elements of the picture start to come together.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
If Cask 12 is in DC, I can't see the grey giant being anything but the Washington Monument. There aren't a whole lot of really tall buildings in DC>

Grand Poobah
Jun 20, 2005

The Monkey Man posted:

If Cask 12 is in DC, I can't see the grey giant being anything but the Washington Monument. There aren't a whole lot of really tall buildings in DC>

I think he was referring to "grey giants" in any city. But even in DC, you could call Lincoln inside the Lincoln Memorial a "grey giant" too, though it wouldn't change much, since you could argue that anything is in "the shadow" of either of them. Now that I'm saying it though, calling Lincoln a "grey giant" actually clusters my clues even closer together. It makes more sense than a "color blind" = Lincoln theory that crossed my mind.

I was thinking it might be buried somewhere in this region

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Verse 6

Just curious, has anyone else attempted review of news archives or popular magazines from "May 1913"? I did a thorough read through of the NYTimes as it might cover a decent cross section of national news.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

I added a bit to the Wiki on Cask 12 about the overall window. Feel free to move or adjust as necessary.
I added the picture of the window and put a bullet point below yours about the circles that a lot of people immediately think of a colorblindness test, but that colorblindness simulations and color filters don't produce anything noteworthy.

At the moment, we're all just jumping in without any organization between articles and clearly going about it differently, would some of the early few members who signed up be willing to chat tomorrow around lunch time or late evening (eastern daylight time) and discuss standardizing the way information is arranged, where to break out to other pages, etc?

Grand Poobah posted:

DC is one of the cities I've been looking at, and you came up with some of the same things I have, although I missed the eagle. As much as everyone likes the Statue of Liberty face match, I still think it could be a coincidence and that she could be a close enough match to most neoclassical statues to be a match for an artist working from a Polaroid. Just to bounce one of me ideas off of you, did you happen to come across pictures of the statue of Columbia on the Smithsonian building of Science and Industry?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

I added the picture of the window and put a bullet point below yours about the circles that a lot of people immediately think of a colorblindness test, but that colorblindness simulations and color filters don't produce anything noteworthy.

At the moment, we're all just jumping in without any organization between articles and clearly going about it differently, would some of the early few members who signed up be willing to chat tomorrow around lunch time or late evening (eastern daylight time) and discuss standardizing the way information is arranged, where to break out to other pages, etc?

It might be helpful to have a designated curator for each page. While all of us can add stuff, our formatting or reference standards may not be uniform enough. Having one person whose job it is to clean everything up on occasion might help keep things under control.

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

I thought cask 11 was England, with her gem then a garnet and the flower a snowdrop. Garnets come in virtually any color.

Interesting, I didn't think of that. But if that's a garnet, where is the peridot? That should be an easy one to spot as it pretty much has to be green. And what about the Celtic-style runes on her dress? And if the garnet isn't red, what is the red stone in cask 3? The topaz maybe?

I feel like if we pin down the month/gem/flower/nation/painting we should have some way to determine the corresponding verse with some surety, beyond moving directly to identifying cities. But maybe that's not how Priess expected the pairs to be determines.

Grand Poobah
Jun 20, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

DC is one of the cities I've been looking at, and you came up with some of the same things I have, although I missed the eagle. As much as everyone likes the Statue of Liberty face match, I still think it could be a coincidence and that she could be a close enough match to most neoclassical statues to be a match for an artist working from a Polaroid. Just to bounce one of me ideas off of you, did you happen to come across pictures of the statue of Columbia on the Smithsonian building of Science and Industry?

I hadn't. And that statue definitely more closely resembles the image, good find. I rather quickly grabbed the Statue of Freedom, purely based off of replacing the Statue of Liberty theory with some other similar looking famous statue.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Very Nice Eraser posted:

Interesting, I didn't think of that. But if that's a garnet, where is the peridot? That should be an easy one to spot as it pretty much has to be green. And what about the Celtic-style runes on her dress? And if the garnet isn't red, what is the red stone in cask 3? The topaz maybe?

I feel like if we pin down the month/gem/flower/nation/painting we should have some way to determine the corresponding verse with some surety, beyond moving directly to identifying cities. But maybe that's not how Priess expected the pairs to be determines.

Well, now I'm all confused. Image 3 has a watch that clearly says 1 o'clock, which would make it January. That makes sense for a red garnet, and the birth flower is then the British style as a white carnation.

However, if image 11 is then a green peridot, the flower would have to be a poppy - and that doesn't look like any poppy I've ever seen. It clearly looks like a snowdrop, which is the American style flower for January.

Something's not adding up. Somebody does need to go through and straighten all this out.

The Chicago picture is lily of the valley and emerald, which fits the Celts. The Cleveland one referenced the Greeks, who brought an aquamarine. That's March, so the flower should be a daffodil, which I guess the flower at the bottom sort of looks like.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Deteriorata posted:

Well, now I'm all confused. Image 3 has a watch that clearly says 1 o'clock, which would make it January. That makes sense for a red garnet, and the birth flower is then the British style as a white carnation.

However, if image 11 is then a green peridot, the flower would have to be a poppy - and that doesn't look like any poppy I've ever seen. It clearly looks like a snowdrop, which is the American style flower for January.

I don't know what's up with Wikipedia saying that in America the Snowdrop is the flower for January. I always grew up (in America) with the tradition that it was the Carnation. Why yes I did have all the flowers and gemstones for each birth month memorized as a child. :colbert:

My grandmother was born in January, and she always used to complain that she didn't like her stone or flower because they were both "cheap," so she grew up with Carnation as the flower too.

The flower in image 11 looks like maybe some kind of orchid maybe? But not a very good representation of one. Wikipedia gives the alternate flower for August as a Gladiolus, and the picture looks like that's what it could be. GIS shows me that there must be a lot of variation among them, but a few of the pictures look like what's in that painting.

EDIT: Here's one that looks like the painting:
http://www.123rf.com/photo_11914127_vector-beautiful-colored-gladiolus-flower-with-drops.html

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Grand Poobah posted:

I'm not discounting what you are saying, but it is a pretty common brick pattern. I was in Green Bay last week and snapped a photo of the exact same bricks on a restaurant I was standing outside of. I'd be willing to bet you could find it all over Milwaukee. That said, in the right location, I think it could very well be a clue.

EDIT: You can even buy them at Home Depot http://tinyurl.com/n22tbwd

It may be common, but we haven't found it all over Milwaukee, much less within a two block radius of City Hall, except here so far. Also would have had to be built pre-1983.

Milwaukee's portrait is just plain lovely for visual clues, we have the woman, the pattern, City Hall, and some nebulous folds in the fabric of the cloak. Since City Hall is pretty self-explanatory, that leaves us with three visuals.

Woman - same hand gesture as Solomon Juneau, same stone pattern as Immigrant Mother, not much else.

Pattern - so far just that parking garage. Unless Preiss had a fever-dream in which he traveled into the future and happened to land in a Home Depot.

Fabric - nothing but random guesses at this point, maybe something once we can pin down a park.

Our verse is not that helpful, the only thing that matches exactly has us going up and down the drat City Hall staircase for no reason. Everything else put forward has had some major problems.

So yeah, I'm going to get really excited about the parking garage bricks, because they're the only concrete (pardon) clue on the Milwaukee puzzle we've had for the last thirty years. Even if those aren't the particular blocks Preiss meant, at least we know what we're looking for, if not where.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mnemosyne posted:

I don't know what's up with Wikipedia saying that in America the Snowdrop is the flower for January. I always grew up (in America) with the tradition that it was the Carnation. Why yes I did have all the flowers and gemstones for each birth month memorized as a child. :colbert:

My grandmother was born in January, and she always used to complain that she didn't like her stone or flower because they were both "cheap," so she grew up with Carnation as the flower too.

The flower in image 11 looks like maybe some kind of orchid maybe? But not a very good representation of one. Wikipedia gives the alternate flower for August as a Gladiolus, and the picture looks like that's what it could be. GIS shows me that there must be a lot of variation among them, but a few of the pictures look like what's in that painting.

EDIT: Here's one that looks like the painting:
http://www.123rf.com/photo_11914127_vector-beautiful-colored-gladiolus-flower-with-drops.html

OK, I can buy it's a gladiolus. That would make it August, with the country being Italy.

Grand Poobah
Jun 20, 2005

Abugadu posted:

It may be common, but we haven't found it all over Milwaukee, much less within a two block radius of City Hall, except here so far. Also would have had to be built pre-1983. .

I think it's a legit connection, don't get me wrong. I guess all I was implying is that that pattern may exist in more than 1 spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
I was biking through Madison this weekend and saw the same pattern. It's common but, I think commonality is moot. It's how it fits within the context of the other clues.