Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

We all know this is the moving thing Korea has produced

e: I've never stabbed myself in the stomach in front of the Canadian Embassy to show that island belongs to the US. Plus it probably has more people on it
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

poly and open-minded fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Dokdo is not just a Korean thing, American and Canada have their own Island disputes as well!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machias_Seal_Island

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't know didn't you guys have an entire chapter about Machias Seal Island in your German books too

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Gimhae goons eat bundaegi? I knew there was a reason I don't hang out with you, that poo poo is disgusting.

Also, Dokdo is my favorite Japanese island.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

caberham posted:

Dokdo is not just a Korean thing, American and Canada have their own Island disputes as well!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machias_Seal_Island

The American and Canadian border is kind of dumb at some points. This video does a great job of discussing it

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I dunno man, 16,000 for meat buffet seems pretty steep to me. I'd never pay more than 9,900, honestly, unless it was super loving quality poo poo.

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Cameron posted:

I dunno man, 16,000 for meat buffet seems pretty steep to me. I'd never pay more than 9,900, honestly, unless it was super loving quality poo poo.

If you're referencing that "all you can eat meat for 9k" restaurant in Sinchon holy hell that place is the definition of playing with fire.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

I saw a poster for this yesterday and was pretty much "Yep, you got me. I will go and see this movie"

Very much looking forward to the 'where does it say in the rules a giant gorilla CAN'T play baseball?! scene.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Would anyone happen to know of an office (probably in Seoul) for collecting pension upon leaving Korea where they speak English? The only reason I was able to get my pension check when I left Korea the first time (from teaching) was because my girlfriend at the time helped me. This time I need to be able to do it on my own. Or is it possible to file for it after leaving Korea online?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Cameron posted:

The expensive ones will usually have more beef.

Brimmy
Jan 13, 2006

"Never gonna give it up, Adrian."

TreFitty posted:

America is just a better place to be for pretty much everything

Yeah got to love that healthcare system. Oh and the inexpensive and easily available public transport systems. Can't be forgetting how they got your back and keep records of all your communications just in case you ever need a record of it.

Yeah, America's clearly far superior than this third world hellhole we all live in.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Brimmy posted:

Yeah got to love that healthcare system. Oh and the inexpensive and easily available public transport systems. Can't be forgetting how they got your back and keep records of all your communications just in case you ever need a record of it.

Yeah, America's clearly far superior than this third world hellhole we all live in.

Don't need health care if you don't get sick, don't need public trans cuz busses are for poors who can't afford cars, and they can read all they want, I ain't done nuffin wrong and if you haven't either you shouldn't be scared.

I kid, I kid, those are all terrible terrible things. All made up for the fact I can get 24 hour burritos handcrafted by immigrants a no more than 4USD a peice.

VVVVVV

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Tourism & Travel > Korea Megathread VI: Kimbap is like an asian burrito

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 2, 2013

Brimmy
Jan 13, 2006

"Never gonna give it up, Adrian."

KirbyKhan posted:

Don't need health care if you don't get sick, don't need public trans cuz busses are for poors who can't afford cars, and they can read all they want, I ain't done nuffin wrong and if you haven't either you shouldn't be scared.

I kid, I kid, those are all terrible terrible things. All made up for the fact I can get 24 hour burritos handcrafted by immigrants a no more than 4USD a peice.

I still personally prefer the personal freedoms we get here, especially when we can get 24 hour Kimbap, they're like asian burritos and even cheaper.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

joedevola posted:

I saw a poster for this yesterday and was pretty much "Yep, you got me. I will go and see this movie"

Very much looking forward to the 'where does it say in the rules a giant gorilla CAN'T play baseball?! scene.

Yeah, I'm taking the GF to this one if I have to give her a roofie first.

Looking forward to constant racist undertones.

Brimmy posted:

I still personally prefer the personal freedoms we get here, especially when we can get 24 hour Kimbap, they're like asian burritos and even cheaper.

Please don't troll me I have a vulnerable psyche. :ohdear:

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 2, 2013

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Brimmy posted:

All depends on who you are for which place is better.

For me:
-I can get health care in America and from anywhere and speak English doing it
-I'm moving to a city which has public transportation which isn't altogether terrible and an apartment where pretty much everything you need to do, you can walk to on non-packed streets
-My job options are far superior, meaning:
--No Asian culture to deal with - trust me when I say you don't want this in a business environment. It will drive you mad
--Less hours
--More pay
--More interesting work that I actually enjoy

I also feel like if you're having fun in Korea, you're probably:
-New-ish - I reached my boiling point at 4.5 years and 4 years was my first meltdown. Now I can't back down from it (at 5 years), no matter how hard I try to be positive
-Don't interact with the culture enough for it to drive you insane
-Don't care that all the media sucks and consume only international music/tv/movies
-Don't care that there are a zillion people around you at all times
-Don't care that it costs a lot more to have a middle class American lifestyle in Korea than it does in America
-Maybe know Korean to make life a little better
-Don't care that the culture values sameness and fitting in over independent thinking
-Interacting mostly with foreigners - it's what kept me sane at time

Before you jump down my throat, understand that all of the above are not BAD things at all. There are just a few buttons I have and Korea presses all of them and I've basically finally cracked. There's no one, big thing that is just intolerable here. It's more death by a million cuts for me.

Anyway, I'll be out of the country and out of the thread for too long, so don't take this poo poo too seriously. I'll just slink away and you won't have to hear me complain again.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

i love you, trefitty

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah if you prefer Korea you must be new or don't interact with the culture enough, cause America is just objectively better otherwise.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Go home, yankee.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah if you prefer Korea you must be new or don't interact with the culture enough, cause America is just objectively better otherwise.
You didn't read, then....not that I'm saying you should, but that is not what I said at all.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Whizbang posted:

Go home, yankee.
Working on it!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Bugblatter posted:

Come on, that's not what he said.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

TreFitty posted:

I also feel like if you're having fun in Korea, you're probably:
-New-ish - I reached my boiling point at 4.5 years and 4 years was my first meltdown. Now I can't back down from it (at 5 years), no matter how hard I try to be positive
-Don't interact with the culture enough for it to drive you insane
-Don't care that all the media sucks and consume only international music/tv/movies
-Don't care that there are a zillion people around you at all times
-Don't care that it costs a lot more to have a middle class American lifestyle in Korea than it does in America
-Maybe know Korean to make life a little better
-Don't care that the culture values sameness and fitting in over independent thinking
-Interacting mostly with foreigners - it's what kept me sane at time

Forgot "are not named TreFitty" on your list there.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

GRR! IDONTLIKETHESAMETHINGSYOULIKEANDYOULIKETHINGSIDONTLIKE!

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

TreFitty posted:

GRR! IDONTLIKETHESAMETHINGSYOULIKEANDYOULIKETHINGSIDONTLIKE!

:cool:

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
On the topic of healthcare, I crashed my bike the other day and had to take an ambulance. Ambulance ride, ER visit, a ton of x-rays, wound dressing and medicine. Grand total? 106,000 won. I literally laughed when I was handing them my card.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

cryptoclastic posted:

On the topic of healthcare, I crashed my bike the other day and had to take an ambulance. Ambulance ride, ER visit, a ton of x-rays, wound dressing and medicine. Grand total? 106,000 won. I literally laughed when I was handing them my card.
I love how Koreans warn that it's "so expensive" for medical care in Korea. I got the sickest I've ever been in my life (abscess in my throat) and spent a few weeks in and out of hospitals. All told, with weeks sitting in a hospital bed, having lots of medication, lots of tests, etc. I think I paid ~$2,000. Still high, but not as high as I would have expected.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Your mistake there was riding a bike in Korea.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Well. Treffity is still an idiot for extrapolating his beautiful unique snowflake background to everyone, but in this case he's not incorrect.

I say this as a recovering software engineer and suffering Korean corporate drone, but software engineers (and those in related fields) would by any objective measure be happier in the Bay Area, Seattle and maybe Boston than anywhere in Korea. The work environment and standard of living are just better.

For most other people, who would not have real healthcare provided by employers in whatever country they fled from and are insulated from the cultural bullshit by way of the TEFL bubble, Korea is a rather baller place.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

tirinal posted:

I say this as a recovering software engineer and suffering Korean corporate drone, but software engineers (and those in related fields) would by any objective measure be happier in the Bay Area, Seattle and maybe Boston than anywhere in Korea. The work environment and standard of living are just better.

For most other people, who would not have real healthcare provided by employers in whatever country they fled from and are insulated from the cultural bullshit by way of the TEFL bubble, Korea is a rather baller place.
...and this is basically exactly where I'm coming from. I also found out within the last 6 months that the market for foreign labor is pretty poo poo, even in Seoul. If you work for a company as a foreigner, they don't treat you any differently from a Korean for the most part including all the things that matter: pay, work hours, company dinner inclusion, etc. It was my understanding from the many Engineers I met down in Changwon that they were treated very differently as recently as 4 years ago. Pretty sure those days are over now.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Maybe it was in the last thread but TreFitty wrote at length about how utterly, incomparably bangin' his life back in America was, so like... no poo poo its not as good here. Go back home, dude, jesus.

Anyway, has anyone seen the Nexus 10 out in the wild? From what it looks like online it might be import-only but if I can try to haggle at Yongsan or whatever I'd rather that.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Onion Knight posted:

Maybe it was in the last thread but TreFitty wrote at length about how utterly, incomparably bangin' his life back in America was, so like... no poo poo its not as good here. Go back home, dude, jesus.

Anyway, has anyone seen the Nexus 10 out in the wild? From what it looks like online it might be import-only but if I can try to haggle at Yongsan or whatever I'd rather that.

1)I don't think I did that because my life was not amazing back home....however, it was pretty drat good, I admit, before I came over
2)I just found out this thing existed from your post - looks pretty awesome

I plan to move to an Android tablet when my iPad is dead or whenever I find an amazing deal that makes my iPad look like garbage. I bought a little mount for my iPad when I was in Seattle a few weeks ago and I can sit on my bed with a bluetooth keyboard and it's like using a computer for an ultra lazy person and oh my god it's awesome (ipad hanging over me, good keyboard when needed)

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Speaking of corporate culture, the new website my law firm has been working on, for about a month with at least 500 man-hours devoted to it between meetings, design, and writing and god knows how much money paid for coding?

It was just rolled back because it turns out it's only compatible with Internet Explorer 9/10 and not 8. Whole project scrapped.

Managing partner knew about it in advance, of course, but I guess didn't digest the gestalt of the incompatibility, as it were, until she tried to load the site.

Also, this is only the international version of the site and wouldn't have been seen by anyone in Korea.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

tirinal posted:

Speaking of corporate culture, the new website my law firm has been working on, for about a month with at least 500 man-hours devoted to it between meetings, design, and writing and god knows how much money paid for coding?

It was just rolled back because it turns out it's only compatible with Internet Explorer 9/10 and not 8. Whole project scrapped.

Managing partner knew about it in advance, of course, but I guess didn't digest the gestalt of the incompatibility, as it were, until she tried to load the site.

Also, this is only the international version of the site and wouldn't have been seen by anyone in Korea.

:psyduck:

Sounds like an amazing firm with deep pockets. I get lovely budgets and have to make do with whatever word press we can get. Crappy multi-lingual support and I just have to do learn things on the job :toot:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tirinal posted:

Please tell me you saved it somewhere so they can rethink things?

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
What. No. I'm too crotchety to play the martyr well.

If I have a backup, there's a chance they'll make me work on it again.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tirinal posted:

What. No. I'm too crotchety to play the martyr well.

If I have a backup, there's a chance they'll make me work on it again.

You sure? I am friends with reasonably tech savvy people in at least 30 countries. I could send a facebook message so easily. If you can show that people in Ghana and Georgia use current IE or Firefox/Chrome it might be seen as you going out of your way to help the company.* It'd be no trouble on my part, and literally no effort for you.

*Or it could be seen as you making your superiors lose face. Lol, Asia. :dings:

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
You really think I didn't have that discussion no less than 3 times?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Cameron posted:

Your mistake there was riding a bike in Korea.

Riding here is actually safer than America for the most part. Cars tend to give you more room and nobody is hostile towards bikers. As long as you stick to the road and not the bike paths you're usually good. My problem was a bug in my eye at 45mph.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tirinal posted:

You really think I didn't have that discussion no less than 3 times?

Did you provide filthy foreigner testimonials?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Nobody cares.

With apologies to Edward Abbey, there is science, logic, reason; there is thought verified by experience. And then there is Korea.

About bikes, riding is absolutely safer than stateside if you know what you're doing. If you don't, you are proper hosed. America can carry you for a year or ten without incident just by virtue of probability, but Korean roads will waste no time in violently and painfully disabusing you of any presumptions toward hubris.

On the plus side, nobody can buy a 600RRRRRRR^3 with 2 meter extended swingarms and then ride it with an Icon back protector, shorts and flipflops as their first bike but instead have to get 125cc cruisers, so on average they're probably still better off when the moment of truth comes.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 2, 2013

• Locked thread