Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

stubblyhead posted:

Wow, Harrisburg's airport must have grown considerably since the last time I was there.

It wasn't direct, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Are there any medical treatments that are harmful to the people that don't have the disease? Obviously things like chemo is brutal on your body, but I'm trying to think of something that would actively help the person with the condition, and actively harm them if they didn't have it.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Hoops posted:

Are there any medical treatments that are harmful to the people that don't have the disease? Obviously things like chemo is brutal on your body, but I'm trying to think of something that would actively help the person with the condition, and actively harm them if they didn't have it.

Chelation therapy? It's used to treat heavy metal poisoning, but has killed people who thought it was an "alternative medicine" treatment for autism.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

US goons do you more often refer to these as pots or saucepans?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Pots.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Except when simmering sauces?

But yeah them are pots.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, just those are pots, but the collection of metal containers you cook food in is often called "pots and pans". My feeling is that pans are shallower, pots are deeper.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Geokinesis posted:

US goons do you more often refer to these as pots or saucepans?

I'm going to be in the minority and say saucepan. A pot has two small handles.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Huh, thanks!

I was a bit confused reading about US goons cooking and not knowing the difference between a pot and a pan, as here they are saucepans.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I can't think of anywhere else to ask this so I guess I'll ask it here.

We're planning on putting a TV up in the lobby of work. We want to have an endless loop outlining various features of our program, like you see in the lobby of nicer DMVs, hotels, whatever.

It seems like a smart/easy way to do this is a slideshow (like powerpoint) on infinite loop. Anything more crazy and I'll be the only person who can edit it and I'd rather it not be my thing.

The question I'm having is if I should maybe stick a rasperry pi on the TV with libre office, or run an HDMI cord from a PC somewhere else, hook up a boxy box, or something like that. These all come out to roughly the same amount of cost. I could probably put together a cheap windows system that will do this for a little more but it feels like sort of a waste.

Has anyone else done anything like this?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rick posted:

I can't think of anywhere else to ask this so I guess I'll ask it here.

We're planning on putting a TV up in the lobby of work. We want to have an endless loop outlining various features of our program, like you see in the lobby of nicer DMVs, hotels, whatever.

It seems like a smart/easy way to do this is a slideshow (like powerpoint) on infinite loop. Anything more crazy and I'll be the only person who can edit it and I'd rather it not be my thing.

The question I'm having is if I should maybe stick a rasperry pi on the TV with libre office, or run an HDMI cord from a PC somewhere else, hook up a boxy box, or something like that. These all come out to roughly the same amount of cost. I could probably put together a cheap windows system that will do this for a little more but it feels like sort of a waste.

Has anyone else done anything like this?

Does the TV have an sdcard slot?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Some TVs now have USB ports you can plug a stick into, too

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Hoops posted:

Medications that lower blood pressure if you don't actually have low blood pressure. Like say Nitrostat. Get your BP too low and you could have a heart attack.

A long list of cardiac medications that if they are given for the wrong heart rhythm can cause your heart to stop working.

Antibiotics that are very potent if you didn't have an infection would serve no benefit and could cause poo poo like C.Diff., accelerate organ failure (enjoy being on dialysis the rest of your life for example).

Insulin given to someone that doesn't need it can cause a fatally low blood sugar to result. I suppose you could give enough Dextrose in the opposite direction and cause diabetic ketoacidosis.

I'm sure there are plenty of others but I'm just a lowly tired EMT so that'll have to do for now.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Hoops posted:

A standard treatment for methanol poisoning is, IIRC, a lethal dosage of ethanol (what we usually drink).

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
So I have recently found myself unemployed, and I have decided that in my time questing for a new job, I'd also like to work on my lifelong dream of doing stand-up comedy. The problem is that I have a terrible attention span, and thus find it hard to write. Any suggestions?

Also, is there a, like, ask me about being a stand up comic thread? I looked, but I may have missed it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Doctor_Acula posted:

So I have recently found myself unemployed, and I have decided that in my time questing for a new job, I'd also like to work on my lifelong dream of doing stand-up comedy. The problem is that I have a terrible attention span, and thus find it hard to write. Any suggestions?

Also, is there a, like, ask me about being a stand up comic thread? I looked, but I may have missed it.

I think the only standup thread is the one in RGD. The way to write is by just starting to write, even if its nonsense at first. If you ask in the thread, people will probably advise that writing a lot of material doesn't matter until you've done some stage time at open mics. So just start there once you've got a few minutes of comedy. Also standup is one of the most miserable and least rewarding creative arts so don't bother.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

Mescal posted:

I think the only standup thread is the one in RGD. The way to write is by just starting to write, even if its nonsense at first. If you ask in the thread, people will probably advise that writing a lot of material doesn't matter until you've done some stage time at open mics. So just start there once you've got a few minutes of comedy. Also standup is one of the most miserable and least rewarding creative arts so don't bother.

Oh I know how brutal it is. I'm not expecting it to be a career from here on out. I just...it's something I want to do, I guess.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

AlphaXires posted:

So I'm not a social degenerate anymore and I finally have a really nifty job, and I eventually want to get a gaming PC that can shoot people in the head at an adequate frame rate. The problem is that I'm paid under the table every week and the pay is not that great — sixty dollars a week. Something that has a $550 price range coupled with the monitor and operating system will most definitely run me to about a thousand dollars. With sixty dollars a week, that's gonna most definitely take me almost three or four months to get. Now, I was gonna mow lawns alongside this job because:

1. My job is located fairly far from where I live, so I need to get the extra money just to pay for transit transportation for my job.
  2. My main job pays little to nothing for things that I actually want to shell my pay on.

However, I don't live in a rural area, so it's not like people are coming to my door on a regular basis for their lawn mowed. Maybe on the occasion, but not often. Another option is that I might end up getting a gaming PC as a gift for graduating. So I guess to encapsulate, my job is poo poo and working for three months for a machine most get in maybe one month is not worth it. Although it's still a binary choice: I get the PC, but it still requires a lengthy wait. Should I end up working for three months to get my own or leech off of my family and get the computer for graduating in a year?

I'm a little confused about what you're asking because you seem to have included a lot of unnecessary detail, but if I understand you correctly you're asking if you should buy a computer in three months or wait a year and maybe get one for free?

If you're working during those three months anyway then it simply comes down to a matter of spending priorities. I gather that in three months you could have enough for the computer as long as you don't buy anything else beyond simple necessities? Well, if you think the computer will be of more value to you than whatever else you might buy instead then you should get the computer. If you think the other things will be of more value then you should get them.

The other way I can see to interpret your question is that you're asking if you should quit your job and maybe get a computer in a year, or keep your job and get a computer in three months. The question then is, is the computer the only reason you're working, and if so, is it worth it to you? Work out how many hours you're sacrificing to get the required money and decide if getting the computer is worth the time it costs.

I have no idea how the lawn-mowing job comes into it though, that seems a bit of a red herring.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Geokinesis posted:

Huh, thanks!

I was a bit confused reading about US goons cooking and not knowing the difference between a pot and a pan, as here they are saucepans.

Those are what I used to call pots, but after years of being corrected by my mom, who actually knows how to cook, I have learned that they are saucepans. Pots are usually larger and have two stubby handles instead of the long one.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Doctor_Acula posted:

What about doing some improv classes?

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

Sieg posted:

What about doing some improv classes?

Great idea...but those cost money, and I'm now sans job. :smith:

edit: Unless I can get unemployment, and get the government to pay for my chucklebucket...

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
My laptop of two months suddenly developed a vertical line of stuck green pixels. Is there anyway to fix this without sending it back for repairs?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

My laptop of two months suddenly developed a vertical line of stuck green pixels. Is there anyway to fix this without sending it back for repairs?

When you say vertical line, do you mean running the entire length of the monitor?

If it's just a few pixels together, you can try to fix it, if it's the whole thing, I would send it back honestly.

First things first, I would try running this program for a few hours. It doesn't work all the time, but might as well try that first.

Every other solution involves banging or pressing on your screen with a finger or blunt object, and that seems kind of dumb to do with an object that's still under warranty. So I would say, if the software doesn't work, send it in.

Irreverent Factotum
May 23, 2007
The Only Trustworthy Goon
I've apparently not logged in here for many, many months, and I find that my list of bookmarked threads is much smaller than it used to be.

The one thread I'm specifically looking for is the one where goons post their phone numbers and everyone sends them text messages (DON'T JUDGE ME).

I can't find it, partly because the forums look different, and muscle memory isn't helping.

Help?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mescal posted:

Also standup is one of the most miserable and least rewarding creative arts so don't bother.

Why do you say this?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Hoops posted:

Drug treatments for hair loss in men are really dangerous to have around kids and women.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Irreverent Factotum posted:

I've apparently not logged in here for many, many months, and I find that my list of bookmarked threads is much smaller than it used to be.

The one thread I'm specifically looking for is the one where goons post their phone numbers and everyone sends them text messages (DON'T JUDGE ME).

I can't find it, partly because the forums look different, and muscle memory isn't helping.

Help?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3012487

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What was the name of that three layer defensive line the soviets had in World War 2?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Russians??

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Doctor_Acula posted:

Nice thing about coming up with stand-up material is you can go about your day and as you think of jokes or possible material for jokes, you can jot it down in a pocket notebook or something and flesh it out later. Straining yourself for hours to come up with material is usually going to end up with poo poo material. So start carrying a little notebook, write stuff down, then after a week or certain amount of time flesh out a good 5 minute routine. Practice it for your timing and delivery, panic when your 5 minute bit turns out to be 2 minutes tops, add more stuff until you get a real 5 minute bit, then hit an open mic.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Centzon Totochtin posted:

That's a physical problem with your laptop screen. Send it back.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Has Venice always been a canal city, or were there originally paved streets that one could walk on?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mister Macys posted:

What was the name of that three layer defensive line the soviets had in World War 2?

All I can think of is the three-layer radar line set up in the 50s and 60s as a defense against Soviet bombers. The most famous of these was the Distant Early Warning system that ran along Canada's and Alaska's northern shore. There was also the Maginot Line, but that was a French system that ultimately failed when Germany just drove their tanks straight through the forest by way of Belgium instead of a frontal assault across the French-German border.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Mister Macys posted:

According to Wikipedia, there was a Stalin line that wasn't really three-layer, but was just sort of haphazard, so it was probably three-layer in some places. There was also the Molotov Line, that never got fully up and running.

I've never heard of a three-layer Russian defensive line, though.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
What's the best way to store guitars that you pick up and play at least weekly? I know cases are the best choice, but I have exactly two of those, six guitars, and limited floor space to boot. My current setup for them (and creepy C-3PO head):

Looks cool, but I have to re-tune the guitars every single time I pick one up because they inevitably end up resting on their strings. Any ideas beyond "suck it up, whiner" would be great.

(Yes, Paul Gilbert is my hero.)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Pretty much that, to be honest. My guitars don't go out of tune from sitting on a stand like that. It could be the weather around your place fluctuating wildly or something. Try angling them so the back of the neck takes a bit more of the weight than it currently does, if you can. And suck it up, weiner

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mount a bunch of these on your wall.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Raimundus posted:

Has Venice always been a canal city, or were there originally paved streets that one could walk on?

There are paved streets to walk on, both alongside the canals and in the interior of the many small islands Venice is built on. They were built as foot streets and cars still aren't allowed in most of the center city, partially because it'd be a clusterfuck, partially because of tourism, and perhaps (my speculation) because the pavement was not built to support automotive traffic.

The city was built on a bunch of small islands in a lagoon, and I'd imagine they've re-shaped the islands over time, but yes, it was always a watery city.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

Totally TWISTED posted:

I suppose you could give enough Dextrose in the opposite direction and cause diabetic ketoacidosis.

Ketoacidosis happens from the breakdown of ketones (ie fat) when a person is not metabolizing blood glucose from a lack of endogenous insulin. Dextrose will just get metabolized by a healthy individual, to a surprising degree.

Insulin can be given to non-diabetics in a situation where the serum potassium is really high, in an IV drip (a continuous, carefully controlled infusion). At the same time, an infusion of dextrose (same as glucose) is also started to keep up with the effects of the insulin.

Very often, it comes down to the risk and trade offs that a medication will present. All people using a particular medication may experience a set of side effects that might taken as the better of the two, when compared to the actual disease. However, for a normal person, this may be something horrible and distressing that they don't need to experience in the first place.

My example would be psych meds. They might cause a healthy person to feel like a zombie, but that zombie feeling might be better than a number of voices going on and on in person with schizophrenia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irreverent Factotum
May 23, 2007
The Only Trustworthy Goon

I've got that one, thanks. I'm remembering a thread that was specifically for texting, with phone numbers, not AIM/Skype/MSN/etc.