Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

gradenko_2000 posted:

Darkrenown posted that it's the per-day RP production of the conquered state * 365 days * 25% per military reform

If the state you just conquered produces 2 RP per day and you have 3 of the 4 military reforms, then that works out to 547.5 RP

Unfortunately I don't think there's really a way to peek into the RP production of any given state, so at best you have to just eyeball taking populated areas instead of tracts of desert.

Actually, I was thinking about this and it doesn't seem quite right. Even if another unciv was generating 10 RP per day, which would be huge, that would come out to 3650 RP for you if you had all 4 military reforms. I'm sure I've gotten far more than that for a conquest before without having all 4 of the conquest RP reforms, and I definitely wasn't conquering an unciv that produced that many research points per day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Yeah for reference Korea (which is one of the best nations to conquer for RP) produces 1.7 RP in 1836 which would give around 620 RP according to that formula. Even if Korea doubled its RP gain in the ~5-10 years it takes for Japan to get around to conquering them that formula is still off by an order of magnitude at a minimum. It would also mean that conquering an unciv state that had 0 or nearly 0 clergy would give no RP which I've never seen happen.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Europe!

Africa!

Why am I not sleeping?

In further news, the USA is now the Commonwealth of Delaware, many slightly drunk giggles were had.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Darkrenown posted that it's the per-day RP production of the conquered state * 365 days * 25% per military reform

If the state you just conquered produces 2 RP per day and you have 3 of the 4 military reforms, then that works out to 547.5 RP

Unfortunately I don't think there's really a way to peek into the RP production of any given state, so at best you have to just eyeball taking populated areas instead of tracts of desert.

That's kind of confusing though, since a state with 100 people in it will produce the same number of RPs as one with 100 million, as long as they have the same percentage of clergy and clerks. I think there's more to it than that.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Looking good! I'd up the darkness on the Kingdom of Alexandria, it kinda blends in with the uncolonized territory, making it annoying to tell exactly what it owns.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Westminster System posted:

Europe!

Africa!

Why am I not sleeping?

In further news, the USA is now the Commonwealth of Delaware, many slightly drunk giggles were had.

This is looking really awesome, except for one thing, and that's having every nation on the planet named 'Republic of Blank' or 'Kingdom of Blank' or 'Empire of Blank'. It's fine for a few of them, but it looks like almost every single country uses that naming system, and it just looks kind of funky. Are you going to give countries unique names depending on government type?

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Looking good! I'd up the darkness on the Kingdom of Alexandria, it kinda blends in with the uncolonized territory, making it annoying to tell exactly what it owns.

Alexandria has a different colour now, I was just busy trying to get pretty pictures out.

Mister Bates posted:

This is looking really awesome, except for one thing, and that's having every nation on the planet named 'Republic of Blank' or 'Kingdom of Blank' or 'Empire of Blank'. It's fine for a few of them, but it looks like almost every single country uses that naming system, and it just looks kind of funky. Are you going to give countries unique names depending on government type?

Typically, they do. Obviously with most nations at the start being polarised between Monarchy or Full blown democracy, theres not alot of variation. Some of the easter egg names are Fascist, for example, such as Fourth Rome and Fifth Rome for certain nations (how could I not) - Alexandria also has some other unique names like Republic of the Nile, but Kingdom of x tends to persist through all three monarchy stages (different depending country). Add to that 70% of the standard of the other names are republic of x you get that. I enjoy the ease of knowing who's what, but those who dont cant always edit the localization file (REALLY EASY) or just outright delete it, though then you might end up with the countries ive added being called YNG or whatever but you know :p.

Ive tried to mix it up a little in NA (Meritocracy, Thalassocracy, Commonwealth, what have you) - I'll take a long look at names in "post template" and see if I can't think of anything cool. If I can't, I always have people to poll :p.

But god I need to sleep, then its just Asia to go before delving deeper.

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 2, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kersch posted:

Actually, I was thinking about this and it doesn't seem quite right. Even if another unciv was generating 10 RP per day, which would be huge, that would come out to 3650 RP for you if you had all 4 military reforms. I'm sure I've gotten far more than that for a conquest before without having all 4 of the conquest RP reforms, and I definitely wasn't conquering an unciv that produced that many research points per day.

uPen posted:

Yeah for reference Korea (which is one of the best nations to conquer for RP) produces 1.7 RP in 1836 which would give around 620 RP according to that formula. Even if Korea doubled its RP gain in the ~5-10 years it takes for Japan to get around to conquering them that formula is still off by an order of magnitude at a minimum. It would also mean that conquering an unciv state that had 0 or nearly 0 clergy would give no RP which I've never seen happen.

My first theory was based on the line "RESEARCH_POINTS_ON_CONQUER_MULT = 360" in defines.lua, where I thought it was 360 RP per province per military reform, but then that has no allowance for more advanced nations giving more RP.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Is there an "Observe" console command in EU3 similar to that in CK2? Where I could start a game, switch to observation mode or whatever and just see how it plays out?

edit: VVV :doh: that makes sense. I hadn't loaded up the game yet so just thought I'd ask. Thanks!

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 2, 2013

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The Narrator posted:

Is there an "Observe" console command in EU3 similar to that in CK2? Where I could start a game, switch to observation mode or whatever and just see how it plays out?

It's "observe"

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Europe!

Africa!

Why am I not sleeping?

I like what you have going, but I can't help but feel Great Britain could use some breaking up. If I could make a suggestion: An independent Wales + Cornwall, call it the Celtic Union or something, give it a decision if it gets enough prestige to start trying to unite all Celtic peoples. I just think Great Britain with Southern Ireland instead of Northern Ireland could use more alt-history :v:.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

DrProsek posted:

Yeah I think a HoD patch dropped the time for rebels to take over to like 2 months or something. It's annoying if you don't know about the change, but I kinda like it because now you actually see the AI fall to rebels more often. I often saw in games of V2 prior to the change every nation either was a rock of stability never falling to rebels, or being such a broken shattered mess that they get overthrown once a year. The change means a nation that isn't broken beyond repair can still have rebellions and can even still stay a GP after them.

I kinda hope that V2 gets another expansion, or (better) when V3 is made, Paradox makes a DLC themed around the Russian Civil War, and overhauling rebels for it. Large rebellions can form their own rebel nations and fight using regular nation AI instead of the simplistic "rush the capital" rebel AI, as the rebellion drags on soldiers start defecting to various sides, add in other nice stuff like maybe Anarcho-Liberal flags or maybe another government type, etc. It could lead to fun situations where the player's nation enters a giant civil war with multiple sides, the player goes with say the Communist rebels, they end up the smallest rebel faction due to defections, but by sitting out on the fighting and keeping their head down, the player is able to wait for the Fascist and Monarchist factions to grind eachother to dust before swooping in, and uniting the nation. I think this would be more V3 material, but I just think half the fun of Victoria 2 is fighting your own people :v:.

The Russian Civil War seems way out of Vicky's league, to be honest. I think V2 could be overhauled (with another x-pack) to simulate the WWI land combat situation. But the rest of the war -- the history of revolt and repression in Tsarist Russia, the influence of new radical ideas, the social strains and contradictions of Russian politics, the confused fighting all throughout the former Russian empire, the international situation that led to the Allied interference in the war, and on & on -- would be very difficult to do in a decent way within the usual Paradox framework. I could maybe see a Clausewitz game just about Russia in 1917 doing a good job capturing the key dynamics, but it's hard to imagine that game getting made.

wootonius
Feb 27, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The Russian Civil War seems way out of Vicky's league, to be honest. I think V2 could be overhauled (with another x-pack) to simulate the WWI land combat situation. But the rest of the war -- the history of revolt and repression in Tsarist Russia, the influence of new radical ideas, the social strains and contradictions of Russian politics, the confused fighting all throughout the former Russian empire, the international situation that led to the Allied interference in the war, and on & on -- would be very difficult to do in a decent way within the usual Paradox framework. I could maybe see a Clausewitz game just about Russia in 1917 doing a good job capturing the key dynamics, but it's hard to imagine that game getting made.

Yeah, I definitely agree with this, after playing Hearts of Iron 3, I question the ability of the Clausewitz game to re-inact complicated and turbulent political forces within a country in the context of world events without straight scripting of actions with little or no player control.

That said, I really enjoy Paradox games and can't wait for EU 4, I just don't think these games are suited to provide a complex simulation of both domestic and foreign politics for hundreds of countries simultaneously. This is especially the case with something like the Russian Revolution.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Reverse Ireland amuses me for some reason. I'm a bit confused at Gaza in South Africa though.

Also, Germany is looking scary big, especially with France weakened. It would be a fun country to play as, I'm thinking.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Is that an independent country controlling the Strait of Gibraltar? That's rad as hell.

Regarding the names, though, I don't like seeing a whole bunch of "Kingdom Ofs" in places like this picture you posted, it makes it a bit difficult to navigate lists like that. I think you should try to avoid having the title of a country come before its actual name as much as possible, unless there's some entity you'd like to have popularly referred to as "The Republic" or "The Kingdom." In real life, it makes sense for a map to have the USA labeled as "The United States of America" because it's widely referred to by that title, but world maps don't typically have "Republic of India" or "Kingdom of Denmark" on them.

I do like the idea of the world being polarized between republics and absolute monarchies, but I don't think it'd be too difficult to come up with more names that would easily identify a country as a monarchy or republic without resorting to the naming scheme "x of y" too much. You could give monarchies the "normal" names and make republics have more romantic or revolutionary sounding names, or republics could have the "normal" names while monarchies have more feudal-sounding names.

At the very least, it'd be nice to, in some cases, make it so the name of the country comes first and then the title. "Nile Republic" instead of "Republic of the Nile" sounds like a perfectly fine name to me, for instance.

To expand on the conflict being so polarizing, something big should happen when a great power becomes a constitutional monarchy. I don't have any particular idea for that, but since this scenario is built around a conflict between extremes, something interesting should probably happen when someone tries to compromise.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Are the EU4 pre-orders going well? Better than CK2? Was CK2 actually strong on pre-orders or did the game's main success come after release?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Eh, it's true that the game couldn't model every little detail of the RCW, but the idea isn't to perfectly replicate the RCW in Victoria 2, but to have civil wars that look more like the RCW did than the current system for rebellions be possible. Like for example, having rebel nations using regular nation army AI all fighting eachother and the nation they're rebeling against instead of all rebels just blindly marching towards the capital with fascist and communist rebels working side by side, even helping eachother in battle. Sure, even in a game where Russia follows down the path it did historically and it ends up fighting a giant civil war it still won't end up modeling everything of the RCW, but just like how the AHD expansion didn't add slave revolts, reflect how utterly hosed a Confederate government would have been had the CSA actually gained independence just by the nature of the south's society and the government created by the CSA constitution, European intervention is kinda modeled but the decision that gets them to intervene relies on the CSA being in a position to stop exporting cotton to Europe, which wasn't the CSA's choice by 1862, and in turn the game doesn't really model the blockade that made the King Cotton decision moot, etc, the point of the expansion wouldn't strictly speaking be to add a RCW simulator to the game, but to make it possible that revolts that are more like the RCW possible, while adding gameplay mechanics for other nations.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 2, 2013

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Sorry, I feel a little out of the loop, but what's the story here? Is this that Srbja althistory mod I've been meaning to try out, or what?

It looks like an interesting world, I wanna know the backstory.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Vodos posted:

Are the EU4 pre-orders going well? Better than CK2? Was CK2 actually strong on pre-orders or did the game's main success come after release?

At least from what I remember of this thread, everyone was still cautious about pre-ordering CK2, wary of falling to the Paradox trend of games being lovely on release. It was after people discovered the demo and then the actual release that the game blew up because hey, it wasn't just playable, it was also really really good.

I feel like EU4 pre-orders are much stronger as a result of CK2 being so good on release.

wootonius
Feb 27, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

At least from what I remember of this thread, everyone was still cautious about pre-ordering CK2, wary of falling to the Paradox trend of games being lovely on release. It was after people discovered the demo and then the actual release that the game blew up because hey, it wasn't just playable, it was also really really good.

I feel like EU4 pre-orders are much stronger as a result of CK2 being so good on release.

I remember reading some quote by Paradox that in the old days EU 4 would have been released months ago with little or no quality assurance.

Nice to see a company shunning the EA model of game development.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Yes that's great. Having more scenarios (or options in general) is always great. Same goes for that guy who was modding Cascadia a few pages back

Well hello! Someone remembered!

I've been working on it this week and I've now got everything "working". (The game loads up, cores are assigned properly, nothing is crashing, etc.)

And you're right about screenshots, I just made a few more:

And the flags for Cascadia and the State of Jefferson:

Jefferson pops up as an independence movement within Cascadia to attempt to rejoin the USA.

I'm still working on balancing and stuff, so if anyone has any suggestions or ideas, please let me know!

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I was trying the Serbia & Friends mod in multiplayer with someone and we both kept getting v2game.exe appcrash errors at the same time. Has anyone else had this problem? We never had any crashes with vanilla, only a couple of desyncs at worst.

edit: Ran it singleplayer for a while and got the same appcrash :(

Kersch fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 2, 2013

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DrProsek posted:

Eh, it's true that the game couldn't model every little detail of the RCW, but the idea isn't to perfectly replicate the RCW in Victoria 2, but to have civil wars that look more like the RCW did than the current system for rebellions be possible..... ...the point of the expansion wouldn't strictly speaking be to add a RCW simulator to the game, but to make it possible that revolts that are more like the RCW possible, while adding gameplay mechanics for other nations.

It sounds like Rome's system of civil war might work here, where the revolters are treated as a factional fight within a country, rather than the current model where new nations are completely separate with their own cores. That'd even allow for true military coups when you get those officer revolt events.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

DrProsek posted:

Eh, it's true that the game couldn't model every little detail of the RCW, but the idea isn't to perfectly replicate the RCW in Victoria 2, but to have civil wars that look more like the RCW did than the current system for rebellions be possible. Like for example, having rebel nations using regular nation army AI all fighting eachother and the nation they're rebeling against instead of all rebels just blindly marching towards the capital with fascist and communist rebels working side by side, even helping eachother in battle. Sure, even in a game where Russia follows down the path it did historically and it ends up fighting a giant civil war it still won't end up modeling everything of the RCW, but just like how the AHD expansion didn't add slave revolts, reflect how utterly hosed a Confederate government would have been had the CSA actually gained independence just by the nature of the south's society and the government created by the CSA constitution, European intervention is kinda modeled but the decision that gets them to intervene relies on the CSA being in a position to stop exporting cotton to Europe, which wasn't the CSA's choice by 1862, and in turn the game doesn't really model the blockade that made the King Cotton decision moot, etc, the point of the expansion wouldn't strictly speaking be to add a RCW simulator to the game, but to make it possible that revolts that are more like the RCW possible, while adding gameplay mechanics for other nations.

Oh yeah, that's good stuff that would make V2 a better game. I don't think anyone thinks V2 has a civil war/revolt mechanic that makes a whole lot of sense.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I have a kidney stone. I can't sit at the comp for long periods of time at all. I'm going through the worst paradox withdrawals. Laying in bed in pain, staring at Lets Plays on an ipad. This sucks enormously.

Anyone have any interesting paradox lets plays? :-/

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I'm assuming you've looked at Wiz's LPs?

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
What, Crete doesn't get a shout out? By the time you're done reading it, you'll have fully recovered!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fintilgin's classic Kingdom of Jerusalem mega-LP deserves a look.

Is Danimo's Texas LP lost to the sands of time?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Drone posted:

Fintilgin's classic Kingdom of Jerusalem mega-LP deserves a look.

Is Danimo's Texas LP lost to the sands of time?
No, it's also up on the LP Archive.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Thanks much guys :)

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

DrProsek posted:

I like what you have going, but I can't help but feel Great Britain could use some breaking up. If I could make a suggestion: An independent Wales + Cornwall, call it the Celtic Union or something, give it a decision if it gets enough prestige to start trying to unite all Celtic peoples. I just think Great Britain with Southern Ireland instead of Northern Ireland could use more alt-history :v:.

Well, I don't know how UBERAWESUM Britain will be without 99% of India and a few smatterings in the Carribean/Africa. I'll take the advice on board though and if GBR looks like it could use some shaking up, I'll work in some reasoning for a split.

Perhaps an Irish-Scottish alliance? Perhaps a Wales with half of England.. (oh god don't tempt me)

Little Abigail posted:

Reverse Ireland amuses me for some reason. I'm a bit confused at Gaza in South Africa though.

Also, Germany is looking scary big, especially with France weakened. It would be a fun country to play as, I'm thinking.

It amused me too, which is why it stayed in from the EU3 output. As for Gaza - that's from NNM, and has its basis in HISTORY™. NNM fills up Africa in an interesting way, and 90% of European one province colonies are now Hansa Colonies, but I'll be considering if theres more I can do to make it interesting.

Germany, once it has an army, will probably be GP#1. The main thing I'd like to present the German player with is 1) Russia doesn't like you 2) France and Lotharingia are meant to be allied and don't like you and of course, 3) There should be a lot of domestic dissent, possibly, if I knew how, resulting in a German Civil war and the outcome of that. Revolutionary Germany 100 years late? Could be a thing.

Pakled posted:

Is that an independent country controlling the Strait of Gibraltar? That's rad as hell.

Regarding the names, though, I don't like seeing a whole bunch of "Kingdom Ofs" in places like this picture you posted, it makes it a bit difficult to navigate lists like that. I think you should try to avoid having the title of a country come before its actual name as much as possible, unless there's some entity you'd like to have popularly referred to as "The Republic" or "The Kingdom." In real life, it makes sense for a map to have the USA labeled as "The United States of America" because it's widely referred to by that title, but world maps don't typically have "Republic of India" or "Kingdom of Denmark" on them.

I do like the idea of the world being polarized between republics and absolute monarchies, but I don't think it'd be too difficult to come up with more names that would easily identify a country as a monarchy or republic without resorting to the naming scheme "x of y" too much. You could give monarchies the "normal" names and make republics have more romantic or revolutionary sounding names, or republics could have the "normal" names while monarchies have more feudal-sounding names.

At the very least, it'd be nice to, in some cases, make it so the name of the country comes first and then the title. "Nile Republic" instead of "Republic of the Nile" sounds like a perfectly fine name to me, for instance.

To expand on the conflict being so polarizing, something big should happen when a great power becomes a constitutional monarchy. I don't have any particular idea for that, but since this scenario is built around a conflict between extremes, something interesting should probably happen when someone tries to compromise.

At the moment, the Papal States controls the strait at the (greatly weakened) Spanish Crown's invitation. Gibraltar's British pop's were converted, mostly, to Italian, and theres some other italian pops there too. The Jews also keep their little enclave, as the Pope isn't in much of a position to argue. Obviously, I would probably change the name from The Papal States (leaving it as one of the options). The idea being they arn't too happy about the whole Rome being controlled by the Greeks.

Indeed. I'll look into it once its done - Perhaps remove Kingdom of and make a fancy name for democracy if its a kingdom, and the reverse if that occurs as you suggest. Sounds like a good compromise idea. That way you know if good old absolutist Russia has flipped into hippy land. Another idea would be to fall back on, in the case of some places, Native Names - like Konigreich Deustchland, thoughts? In terms of say, "The Nile Republic" this name formatting is typically for the non-democratic republic type governments, so that's why you're not seeing them so much.

At the moment, theres only 3 Democracies in Europe, Poland, because Krakow, and will probably be changed, Ireland - because that legitimately makes sense in the vein of Irish independence, and the Hansa. Democracy is a term people tend to associate, in Europe, with violent rebellion or breakaway colonies. In terms of HMS Governments, there's 3? Off the top of my head - the UK, whose government changes came with turmoil in the colonies, Norway, because Norway and I believe New Normandy, which I feel is a nice little kingdom to have in NA. Obviously, switching from one extreme to another should create a stir, though we go into territory I'm not all that knowledgeable yet (events/decisions etc).

quadrophrenic posted:

Sorry, I feel a little out of the loop, but what's the story here? Is this that Srbja althistory mod I've been meaning to try out, or what?

It looks like an interesting world, I wanna know the backstory.

ZearothK's excellent Srbja mod is another, and just one of many inspirations.

This scenario is based off of "what happens when you play EU3 and mess with a few things" and then mixing in my own variations on things in the world. I'd like to do "spotlights" on countries in the future to give a better view on the world, but that'll come when I'm actually done with the map and pops.

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jul 2, 2013

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

At the moment, the Papal States controls the strait at the (greatly weakened) Spanish Crown's invitation. Gibraltar's British pop's were converted, mostly, to Italian, and theres some other italian pops there too. The Jews also keep their little enclave, as the Pope isn't in much of a position to argue. Obviously, I would probably change the name from The Papal States (leaving it as one of the options). The idea being they arn't too happy about the whole Rome being controlled by the Greeks.

That's pretty drat cool for RP purposes. A Papal States in charge of the strait seems pretty loaded with potential for events, etc. Obviously, the power of religion has typically decreased for the world around the Vicky 2 period, but nonetheless I imagine you could play with that. What does the religious breakdown of Europe look like?

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Well, I don't know how UBERAWESUM Britain will be without 99% of India and a few smatterings in the Carribean/Africa. I'll take the advice on board though and if GBR looks like it could use some shaking up, I'll work in some reasoning for a split.

Perhaps an Irish-Scottish alliance? Perhaps a Wales with half of England.. (oh god don't tempt me)

It amused me too, which is why it stayed in from the EU3 output. As for Gaza - that's from NNM, and has its basis in HISTORY™. NNM fills up Africa in an interesting way, and 90% of European one province colonies are now Hansa Colonies, but I'll be considering if theres more I can do to make it interesting.

Germany, once it has an army, will probably be GP#1. The main thing I'd like to present the German player with is 1) Russia doesn't like you 2) France and Lotharingia are meant to be allied and don't like you and of course, 3) There should be a lot of domestic dissent, possibly, if I knew how, resulting in a German Civil war and the outcome of that. Revolutionary Germany 100 years late? Could be a thing.

Indeed. I'll look into it once its done - Perhaps remove Kingdom of and make a fancy name for democracy if its a kingdom, and the reverse if that occurs as you suggest. Sounds like a good compromise idea. That way you know if good old absolutist Russia has flipped into hippy land. Another idea would be to fall back on, in the case of some places, Native Names - like Konigreich Deustchland, thoughts? In terms of say, "The Nile Republic" this name formatting is typically for the non-democratic republic type governments, so that's why you're not seeing them so much.

At the moment, theres only 3 Democracies in Europe, Poland, because Krakow, and will probably be changed, Ireland - because that legitimately makes sense in the vein of Irish independence, and the Hansa. Democracy is a term people tend to associate, in Europe, with violent rebellion or breakaway colonies. In terms of HMS Governments, there's 3? Off the top of my head - the UK, whose government changes came with turmoil in the colonies, Norway, because Norway and I believe New Normandy, which I feel is a nice little kingdom to have in NA. Obviously, switching from one extreme to another should create a stir, though we go into territory I'm not all that knowledgeable yet (events/decisions etc).

ZearothK's excellent Srbja mod is another, and just one of many inspirations.

This scenario is based off of "what happens when you play EU3 and mess with a few things" and then mixing in my own variations on things in the world. I'd like to do "spotlights" on countries in the future to give a better view on the world, but that'll come when I'm actually done with the map and pops.

thanks for this, I'm getting really bored of the vanilla map, and it's hard to find any Victoria 2 Mods that work with HOD

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
The short version: Norway should be reformed, Britain/Ireland/Germany should be protestant, as should Poland/Baltics.

Russia is Orthodox with the Byzantines, which Wallachia/Siebenburgen/Serbia should be too. Italians/Spain/France catholic, Lotharingia Protestant. Alexandria is orthodox and the Hansa are protestant. Hungary should probably be catholic german minority with a protestant/orthodox mix of Hungarians (60/40). Minorities will remain catholic. Croatia will be catholic.

UPDATE TIME. This is preliminary, I want feedback.

Things to do with the Sinoblob - thinking dividing it up into ~three different factions based on democratic, loyal absolutists and a brother trying to take over the mandate or what have you. Rump India is a throwback to giga-Maratha but wanted to make India less blobby like china would be. The colonial nations in India are Japan, Lotharingia, France, the Byzantines and the Hansa aswell as good old Britannia.

After this, I just need to sort out industries and OOB's and custom cultures and the names you're clamoring about :p, then look at events/decisions and then take things as they come.

Any other ideas on that and the rest of the map?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kersch posted:

I was trying the Serbia & Friends mod in multiplayer with someone and we both kept getting v2game.exe appcrash errors at the same time. Has anyone else had this problem? We never had any crashes with vanilla, only a couple of desyncs at worst.

edit: Ran it singleplayer for a while and got the same appcrash :(

Can you give me any more details? Did it happen in a window between 1836-1849? I am aware there is something in the early game that causes the game to crash, but haven't managed to track it down, yet, I am spending the afternoon with the Validator and coffee to find that one. You could go back to an earlier save (six months or a year) and it's very possible to avoid the crash, from my experience, as it doesn't happen in every game.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

The short version: Norway should be reformed, Britain/Ireland/Germany should be protestant, as should Poland/Baltics.

Russia is Orthodox with the Byzantines, which Wallachia/Siebenburgen/Serbia should be too. Italians/Spain/France catholic, Lotharingia Protestant. Alexandria is orthodox and the Hansa are protestant. Hungary should probably be catholic german minority with a protestant/orthodox mix of Hungarians (60/40). Minorities will remain catholic. Croatia will be catholic.

UPDATE TIME. This is preliminary, I want feedback.

Australia's well set up. I've always wanted, but unfortunately never really seen, a divided Australia. I think it would make a nice area for a few small squabbling states. Especially when they're so ethnically diverse! Australia could be a real sticking point in this timeline between the West, Mid-East and Far Eastern states. I assume Aoteroa is a Maori state?

China should probably be trimmed down, yep. The idea you've got at the moment sounds pretty good - the two competing monarchies could be good for breaking up the big yellow blob. Maybe give either the Republic or the alt-Monarchy some backup to reflect support from the West? I'm not sure how equal China is meant to be with Europe in this scenario, so a European-sponsored competitor state in China could make for a good dynamic. Alternatively, you could spin off some substates or such from China to set up some potential civil-war fuckery. Maybe introduce some colonial trading posts in Indochina or the East Indies?

Independent India looks like it'd be really fun to play if you could add some choices for India to align with a certain colonial power? Or you could just give events focused around India to cause conflict between the powers themselves.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Okay guys, so today I'm having a doll problem. I bought all the vic2 DLC during the sale, including all the pretty dressup soldier uniforms. There are separate uniforms for artillery divisions I guess (actually for most support divisions - really cool!), but they seem to take precedence over regular infantry, which is not so cool because my Germans no longer wear their excellent helmets.

The whole of the Heer is in a Pickelhaube pickle. What do I do?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I think you'd be better off removing 'of Arabia' and just calling it 'The Caliphate'. The demonym for Australia could be 'Caliphal'. Also I think China should be treated like it was historically but within the divides you've introduced. The resident monarchy could be under fire from foriegn-supported liberal democrats and conservative/reactionary monarchists, likely to align with their European co-ideologues.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

The Narrator posted:

Australia's well set up. I've always wanted, but unfortunately never really seen, a divided Australia. I think it would make a nice area for a few small squabbling states. Especially when they're so ethnically diverse! Australia could be a real sticking point in this timeline between the West, Mid-East and Far Eastern states. I assume Aoteroa is a Maori state?

China should probably be trimmed down, yep. The idea you've got at the moment sounds pretty good - the two competing monarchies could be good for breaking up the big yellow blob. Maybe give either the Republic or the alt-Monarchy some backup to reflect support from the West? I'm not sure how equal China is meant to be with Europe in this scenario, so a European-sponsored competitor state in China could make for a good dynamic. Alternatively, you could spin off some substates or such from China to set up some potential civil-war fuckery. Maybe introduce some colonial trading posts in Indochina or the East Indies?

Independent India looks like it'd be really fun to play if you could add some choices for India to align with a certain colonial power? Or you could just give events focused around India to cause conflict between the powers themselves.

Obviously the resident ethnic populations are tiny at the moment - like vanilla, most of Australia has 200 - 2000 population in each territory, but I'd like to make them bigger so its worth fighting over the area. I'll probably get rid of the uncolonized area's, as they don't really add anything except the potential for horrible borders. Aoteroa is a Muslim Maori state with a bedouin minority that revolted from Arabia successfully. It should be a democracy but the game keeps demanding it be a monarchy.

China, as I played it, was dominant, as I played though I set goals that didn't make me cover the entire map, so that's the good aspect, however, internal dissent, colonial breakaways with the brightest minds and what have you have left it behind and essentially a "partially westernized" state. As for trading posts are you refering to the Chinese or Europeans? China has a couple of pacific islands/Hawaii and they'd remain part of the loyal government, i'd expect and the Phillipines is a potential revolter (Any idea's for the name of a partially Manchu/Japanese minority Filipino Majority Philipines?). In terms of the Khmer/Malaya theres a few Hansa/Lotharingian islands hanging about. I wanted to make the natives viable survivors where half your country or little blobs hadn't been picked off yet, but probably would be before you got a chance to westernize.

India has cores on all the Indian territory, where-as its neighbours don't, so thats a benefit for it. Obviously with colonial nations and other encroaching asian powers, It'll be a tough slog, but the cultures you can use are probably a leg up versus your opponents. I expect it to be a problem dealing with the Europeans, though. The events are a good idea of course, and sets up another flashpoint.

Chief Savage Man posted:

I think you'd be better off removing 'of Arabia' and just calling it 'The Caliphate'. The demonym for Australia could be 'Caliphal'. Also I think China should be treated like it was historically but within the divides you've introduced. The resident monarchy could be under fire from foriegn-supported liberal democrats and conservative/reactionary monarchists, likely to align with their European co-ideologues.

You're right, a lot of localization will be fixed as I go through my big old TAG localization file and deal with things as I see them. China will probably go through an iteration or five, but its good to know that people like the general idea of the thought I had.

I'm going to do some work on China now and read any further feedback then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Any idea's for the name of a partially Manchu/Japanese minority Filipino Majority Philipines?

Depends on how the colonization happened, though I checked out Wikipedia and found these two articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_of_the_Philippines
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma-i

Obviously you can't call it the Philippines since that was derived from Philip of Spain, so it depends which part of the Phils is the main force for independence and how they're politically-inclined. For reference, the archipelago is divided into Luzon (northern islands), Visayas (middle island chain), and Mindanao (southern islands), and the most powerful of them during the real-life colonization period was the Muslim Sultanate of Sulu in Mindanao. The kingdoms in Luzon and Visayas were more of a collection of independent duchies in CK2 terms, but Sulu was a legitimate power in SEA for a long while.

• Locked thread