Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
So, I finally started playing FFVI, and I'm absolutely loving it, done Locke's chapter and am now plowing on with Sabin, currently on the ghost train. My question is, being level 14ish at the moment, I've done next to no grinding beyond occasionally wandering the wrong way on the world map and getting some random encounters, am I screwing myself here? I remember in FFX Seymour on Mt Gagazet absolutely pushing my poo poo in (even knowing how to beat him), I had so little health I had to spend an hour or two wandering round that mountain in order to survive any of his attacks, and when I did defeat him, it took a good 50 mins; Is there anything like this heading my way, or am I good just chilling my way through and enjoying the ride?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

NonzeroCircle posted:

So, I finally started playing FFVI, and I'm absolutely loving it, done Locke's chapter and am now plowing on with Sabin, currently on the ghost train. My question is, being level 14ish at the moment, I've done next to no grinding beyond occasionally wandering the wrong way on the world map and getting some random encounters, am I screwing myself here? I remember in FFX Seymour on Mt Gagazet absolutely pushing my poo poo in (even knowing how to beat him), I had so little health I had to spend an hour or two wandering round that mountain in order to survive any of his attacks, and when I did defeat him, it took a good 50 mins; Is there anything like this heading my way, or am I good just chilling my way through and enjoying the ride?

Actually no. Without spoiling anything I'll just say that at one point there will be an event (you'll know it when it happens) and afterwards you'll be able to give your characters stat gains as they level up. For this reason its actually most efficient to level as little as possible until this point. Not that it really matters given that that kind of min maxing is really not necessary.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

NonzeroCircle posted:

VI is generally pretty easy. There are a boss or two that will likely kill you horribly, but that's because you're expected to have certain abilities rather than needing to grind levels.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I can't think of any time I ever needed to grind in FFVI, even my first time through the game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

voltron lion force posted:

Actually no. Without spoiling anything I'll just say that at one point there will be an event (you'll know it when it happens) and afterwards you'll be able to give your characters stat gains as they level up. For this reason its actually most efficient to level as little as possible until this point. Not that it really matters given that that kind of min maxing is really not necessary.

Of course, if you do any sort of optimization of stat boosts at all it makes characters absurdly overpowered.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wu9DnbzB8g

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Mr. Maltose posted:

And half the twists of FFX aren't twists to anyone except Tidus and thus the player. Which actually rocked, because those elements were so ingrained to the setting that the others never even thought that explaining poo poo was necessary.

Not necessarily the player - it's a commonly used storytelling device to have the 'main' character not be aware of things that the observer learns by virtue of their ability to see things happen that the main character isn't present for. When used, it has the effect of making the viewer feel that much worse for the character because they get the sense that 'if only they'd known!' In FFX, I'm pretty sure I figured out within the first mention of Braska being dead that Yuna was going to bite it if they didn't change anything.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

NonzeroCircle posted:

VI is probably the only 'main' FF game that I haven't finished since IV. I just couldn't slog my way through the first part. I've seen in this thread that the game gets a lot better in the world of ruin. How long does it take to get there? Also, I was thinking about trying it again. I've got a copy of the original SNES version somewhere, but wondering if it's worth dusting off my SNES or just playing a newer version. Was the PSx version good? Are there any plans anyone's heard to give it the 3DS / ipad treatment?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Thanks for the quick replies guys! Kalenn, I'm the opposite of you (though I only have the DS remake of IV)- I got onto the part shortly after the boat, died miserably, then realised I had forgotten to save for the last like 90 minutes and just couldn't face tramping through all that again, so it's sat there untouched since. I may try again when I'm done with VI, this time armed with the knowledge to de-equip everyone before getting on the boat so I'm slightly less hosed afterwards.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

VI is probably the only 'main' FF game that I haven't finished since IV. I just couldn't slog my way through the first part. I've seen in this thread that the game gets a lot better in the world of ruin. How long does it take to get there? Also, I was thinking about trying it again. I've got a copy of the original SNES version somewhere, but wondering if it's worth dusting off my SNES or just playing a newer version. Was the PSx version good? Are there any plans anyone's heard to give it the 3DS / ipad treatment?

There are just as many people that feel the game "falls apart" in the World of Ruin, because it loses a focused story progression, and its non-linear nature means almost every line is generic and can be said by anyone who happens to be in the party. If you don't enjoy the gameplay of VI, I don't know if I'd bother playing through the whole thing.

Of course, I can't really imagine getting into both the NES games and the PSX games but not being able to enjoy VI, but who knows!

The PSX version is not good, with relatively long load times. Either play the SNES version, or the GBA version which adds some extra Espers and post-game dungeons, and fixes some bugs, but has worse music.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I would recommend either the SNES or GBA versions, and it doesn't take terribly long to get through. You likely got close, depending how fair a shake you gave the game initially.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Coughing Hobo posted:

I can't think of any time I ever needed to grind in FFVI, even my first time through the game.
I got my rear end kicked by Air Force/Ultros my first time, because I didn't take advantage of having access to good shops at basically any poinst post-Thamasa. That really stands out, for me, as the only place I had to grind - that segment from there to Atma Weapon just being two powerful bosses and a shitton of powerful random encounters, some of which you can't run from.

Of course, I was like eight, and I didn't know how good Gau was...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I recently played through VI again with the PSN version, which is the PSX version unchanged (as far as I know) and I wouldn't recommend it. You spend a lot of time just loading menus and fights, which is a real drag.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This was dropped today, btw. http://ff6.ocremix.org/

I heard Jake Kaufman's track with Tommy Pedrini a few months ago, and it's pretty ridiculous. Queen style Opera sequence. I believe every track from FF6 is represented on this album, and if all of them are as good as what Jake played for me, I will be very happy.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I would recommend either the SNES or GBA versions, and it doesn't take terribly long to get through. You likely got close, depending how fair a shake you gave the game initially.

I dunno, the last thing I remember was being in some cave and some moogles were around and one joined my party and then I was fighting something which killed me and ah gently caress forgot to save that cave was dumb gently caress this game, or something like that.

Knowing now that the villain actually succeeds and you get to play in something like the future world in Chrono Trogger would probably give me enough incentive to try again.

I also bought a box of the play arts monster figurines when i was in Japan and got the special Kefka statue so that was kinda neat.

Has anyone else been to the new Square Enix cafe? Artnia or whatever? Here's the secret: it's in the middle of nowhere in some uppity development and is really lovely. They don't even have most of the old classic play arts figurines, just some stupid empty exhibit room that looks like it could have been way cooler but they forgot the centrepiece. . I did get some Chocobo cookies though. I feel like I really missed out by not seeing the old store with the Sephiroth statue.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Great Lakes Log posted:

I recently played through VI again with the PSN version, which is the PSX version unchanged (as far as I know) and I wouldn't recommend it. You spend a lot of time just loading menus and fights, which is a real drag.

That's disappointing. I thought playing it with the new cutscenes would be neat and would help keep me engaged until I got into it.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I played FF6 when I was a kid but ignored all but, like, 3 party members. I remember getting pissed that I couldn't beat the tower with teams of level 20s, and then grinding in the dinosaur forest for like a day, then giving up and doing something else with my life.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I dunno, the last thing I remember was being in some cave and some moogles were around and one joined my party and then I was fighting something which killed me and ah gently caress forgot to save that cave was dumb gently caress this game, or something like that.

Like... in the first 20 minutes of the game?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Kalenn Istarion posted:

That's disappointing. I thought playing it with the new cutscenes would be neat and would help keep me engaged until I got into it.

They're not actually new cutscenes, they're just FF7-era quality CGI scenes that are usually really brief and don't really add anything.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
For anyone who is skeptical of the quality of that OCR FF6 album, at least listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xFhULStbkQ

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

BabyRyoga posted:

For anyone who is skeptical of the quality of that OCR FF6 album, at least listen to this:

Christ. I don't even like the opera house sequence that much and this is incredible.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

It reminds me a lot of some of the rock opera scenes from Home Movies.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The FF15 characters look a lot more interesting than anything that was in 10 or 13 and half of 12. It's just a shame that the lamest looking dude is the main character like always.

Gotta have that feathered-hair teen I guess!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Schwartzcough posted:

There are just as many people that feel the game "falls apart" in the World of Ruin, because it loses a focused story progression, and its non-linear nature means almost every line is generic and can be said by anyone who happens to be in the party. If you don't enjoy the gameplay of VI, I don't know if I'd bother playing through the whole thing.
The World of Ruin is where I gave up the game. It just didn't seem that great, and I don't think it clicked with me. I think I ended up finding Terra, died to the boss and just didn't care enough to continue.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BabyRyoga posted:

This puts stuff like the Black Mages to shame, even though the one guy sounds like Weird Al.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Like... in the first 20 minutes of the game?

As I said, it didn't make much if a impression. I must have played for longer than that but I'll be damned if I remember anything beyond that cave.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Overbite posted:

The FF15 characters look a lot more interesting than anything that was in 10 or 13 and half of 12. It's just a shame that the lamest looking dude is the main character like always.

Gotta have that feathered-hair teen I guess!

Isn't the whole cast in their 20s?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Azure_Horizon posted:

I don't even know, characters in Japanese games rarely look like their age unless they're really old.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Has anyone else been to the new Square Enix cafe? Artnia or whatever? Here's the secret: it's in the middle of nowhere in some uppity development and is really lovely. They don't even have most of the old classic play arts figurines, just some stupid empty exhibit room that looks like it could have been way cooler but they forgot the centrepiece. . I did get some Chocobo cookies though. I feel like I really missed out by not seeing the old store with the Sephiroth statue.

I was actually just there a few weeks ago. Design-wise I think it's brilliant but I thought it would be just a smidgen bigger and have a better selection of merch, especially apparel. I got really sick of seeing the same 2 games represented over and over; FF7 and KH. That said, the black room off to the side at least looks cool. The materia-inspired drinks and the materia chocolate looked amazing. I ended up just picking up a few minor things and some of the Amano postcards, a few of which I'll put in cheap frames. I was hoping there'd be some shirts or something at least, but everything had fairly prominent FINAL FANTASY/KINGDOM HEARTS logos and stuff (which, yeah, is to be expected, but a guy can dream). The shirts Amano designed for his collaboration with Uniqlo were cooler and more subtle and I'm glad I have one of those at least. The old store sounded interesting.

But yeah, that uppity development is Square Enix HQ. :-P

-----------

More 12 IZJS questions, sorry:
I am following a guide that at this point is taking me to a place to get good treasures well before I am supposed to be there, I gather (Mosphoran). I have just received the first summon and everyone is at level 21. (Aaaaalmost took out Earth Tyrant, but will come back when stronger.) It's kind of hard running back and forth trying to get good treasure to spawn while I barely scrape by fire wolves and Funbabas. Is this an okay place to level up if I'm patient, or if any, is there a decent place at this point in the story to level up so I can snag some sweet treasure?

I THINK I'm enjoying myself but who thought treasure spawns/etc was a good idea?? If I was playing through blind I would have missed so much stuff, even already.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
When I played XII vanilla, I just ignored trying to get things from chests.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Azure_Horizon posted:

Cor is 42. Otherwise, yeah, probably.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

NonzeroCircle posted:

Grinding is pretty much never a requirement in FFVI as long as you're willing to abuse your stronger party members (early) and magic (later). There's two major difficulty spikes that can catch a lot of people off guard (The end of the World of Balance being the major one) but for the most part VI is not that hard of a game even in normal play and it offers even less resistance if you just abuse stuff like tools, blitzes, and magic. Forget if you invest the time and research into Gau, who you can use to single-handedly bust the game over your knee pretty much as soon as you get him and only gets better as the game progresses.

The biggest challenge is probably that the World of Ruin is fairly non-linear, and it's not terribly kind about it. It lets you basically go anywhere and try to do anything after the initial sequence but there's a LOT of stuff your party won't be equipped to handle out of the box and even following the game's hint trail tends to shunt you into bad places quickly if you don't stray a little. Don't be afraid to bail on something and come back later if you poke your head in and stuff starts wrecking your poo poo.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Elec posted:

More 12 IZJS questions, sorry:
I am following a guide that at this point is taking me to a place to get good treasures well before I am supposed to be there, I gather (Mosphoran). I have just received the first summon and everyone is at level 21. (Aaaaalmost took out Earth Tyrant, but will come back when stronger.) It's kind of hard running back and forth trying to get good treasure to spawn while I barely scrape by fire wolves and Funbabas. Is this an okay place to level up if I'm patient, or if any, is there a decent place at this point in the story to level up so I can snag some sweet treasure?

I THINK I'm enjoying myself but who thought treasure spawns/etc was a good idea?? If I was playing through blind I would have missed so much stuff, even already.

Treasure spawning is much more forgiving in IZJS, because treasures can respawn just by leaving the screen, while monsters don't respawn unless you move 2 screens away. So you can clear a path to the treasures you want, then just run back and forth to keep checking.

Keep in mind, though, that the random treasures are not things you're "supposed" to get. They're designed to be bonuses if you're lucky, but you're typically able to find those things in shops or what-have-you eventually. Meanwhile, the really unique treasures tend to be in guaranteed chests, especially in the IZJS version. Don't drive yourself nuts trying to collect every piece of equipment from every random chest if you're not having fun. This applies double to these optional high-level areas; there's great treasure to be had if you enjoy running for your life from monsters way over your level, but it's certainly not necessary to progress in the story.

That's the thing with XII- it's really open-ended, so you can play the storyline straight with a reasonable challenge, or you can risk your neck to go get optional end-game gear early, then completely stomp all over the remaining storyline.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I know we got on this discussion by saying "Every FF has a poo poo story whatever" but I heavily disagree. The gameplay in these games simply isn't good enough most of the time to justify completely skipping entire cutscenes, the story has to at least be entertaining if not a masterpiece of writing. I thought FFX had an entertaining story, I remember playing through it while other friends were too and getting to school and discussing things like SIN IS TIDUS DAD HOLY poo poo. Plus as far as I know it was the only FF to actually have a straight up bittersweet ending, after a lot of the previous ones teased it. I think FF7, FF8, FF9 all had an ending you were supposed to believe was unhappy but ~it all works out in the end~, the FFX one was something pretty bold at the time.

BabyRyoga posted:

This was dropped today, btw. http://ff6.ocremix.org/

I heard Jake Kaufman's track with Tommy Pedrini a few months ago, and it's pretty ridiculous. Queen style Opera sequence. I believe every track from FF6 is represented on this album, and if all of them are as good as what Jake played for me, I will be very happy.

That Virt right? Cool stuff.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Plus as far as I know it was the only FF to actually have a straight up bittersweet ending, after a lot of the previous ones teased it. I think FF7, FF8, FF9 all had an ending you were supposed to believe was unhappy but ~it all works out in the end~, the FFX one was something pretty bold at the time.

(FF VII) I subscribe to the theory that everyone died at the end. Makes me feel much better about a world where Dirge of Cerberus was made. The game alludes to that being the case too, I thought.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Treasure spawning is much more forgiving in IZJS, because treasures can respawn just by leaving the screen, while monsters don't respawn unless you move 2 screens away. So you can clear a path to the treasures you want, then just run back and forth to keep checking.

Keep in mind, though, that the random treasures are not things you're "supposed" to get. They're designed to be bonuses if you're lucky, but you're typically able to find those things in shops or what-have-you eventually. Meanwhile, the really unique treasures tend to be in guaranteed chests, especially in the IZJS version. Don't drive yourself nuts trying to collect every piece of equipment from every random chest if you're not having fun. This applies double to these optional high-level areas; there's great treasure to be had if you enjoy running for your life from monsters way over your level, but it's certainly not necessary to progress in the story.

That's the thing with XII- it's really open-ended, so you can play the storyline straight with a reasonable challenge, or you can risk your neck to go get optional end-game gear early, then completely stomp all over the remaining storyline.

Thanks for all that! That's very helpful. I actually do kind of like that rush of sneaking in, snagging something, and high-tailing it out of there, so I can put up with it for a little bit. Also I guess it's not really worth it to try to get weapons/armor to spawn that none of my jobs can equip anyway, which is kind of a load off. Money is a chronic problem though, I seem to barely have enough after shopping sprees. Anyway thanks again; I'd rather coast toward the end as much as possible so I might as well take a few risks here and there early on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

(FF VII) I subscribe to the theory that everyone died at the end. Makes me feel much better about a world where Dirge of Cerberus was made. The game alludes to that being the case too, I thought.

It doesn't, actually. It presents that as a possible outcome but it doesn't really imply it is what happened.

The whole thing with the Lifestream in the ending exists to basically take the dark outcomes (Meteor destroys the planet/Holy kills humanity) and nullify them. It's basically the entire reason it happens. The ending doesn't make a lot of sense if you assume that all of humanity died right afterwards.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 2, 2013

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

No matter what you think happens Red XIII lives, so... there's that. Besides, it's just Midgar - plenty of other places that were nowhere near the Meteor impact or relied on Mako, like Cosmo Canyon.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Overbite posted:

I dunno. The latest trailers make Noct out to be a bit of a dork, but not gratingly so (see: Hope, Tidus). This isn't a bad route to take with a hero, if they strike the right balance of cool moments and goofy moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The 3-disc remix album best Final Fantasy game of all time was released this morning:

http://ff6.ocremix.org/

I donated to the kickstarter so my physical copy should be here soon

but seriously, it's also a free download so get it now!