Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

ViggyNash posted:

I'm listening to the OST again, and I'm just really confused. There are so many amazing songs, yet I remember only 2 of the total from the show. Where the hell were all these great tracks?

A lot of the tracks used in the show are just snippets from a full song. For example the tunes from Eren getting eaten and the Titeren debut are the same song (XL-TT).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

ViggyNash posted:

I'm listening to the OST again, and I'm just really confused. There are so many amazing songs, yet I remember only 2 of the total from the show. Where the hell were all these great tracks?

It's because the show versions use broken up versions of each song. They use bits and pieces of some, sometimes they remove a layer from another. They're there, but unless they're vocal songs they are usually in pieces when played during the show.

e;fb a tad

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
And now with a great episode 13 I'm all caught up. I'm a little confused what 14 will be about, but I suppose I'll find out in good time. Presumably the next big arc of the story will be recovering Wall Maria up to the district where Eren's house used to be, but if Trost was as big of a deal as it was, recovering that amount of territory is going to be a real pain. Can't wait.

And yeah, if you listen closely to the songs, you can definitely tell in some of them when one tune ends and the other begins.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 1, 2013

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

darkgray posted:

Not sure what you're asking, but I meant this show. Spelling is hard.

That was what I was asking, thanks. I tried Googling 'kisdum', but found only that it is apparently the Cebuano word for 'frown'.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Sylphid posted:

And now with a great episode 13 I'm all caught up. I'm a little confused what 14 will be about, but I suppose I'll find out in good time. Presumably the next big arc of the story will be recovering Wall Maria up to the district where Eren's house used to be, but if Trost was as big of a deal as it was, recovering that amount of territory is going to be a real pain. Can't wait.

And yeah, if you listen closely to the songs, you can definitely tell in some of them when one tune ends and the other begins.
Well, the preview listed the next episode as "13.5", and it's been confirmed that we're getting a recap episode. But, from the previews, it looks like development for the characters or at least a focus on the cadets from the 104th. Basically, we might get a Rashomon-style recap episode. Every cadet gets a few words from their perspective while recapping the Trost events for latecomers and moving the story forward a little bit.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AradoBalanga posted:

Every cadet gets a few words from their perspective while recapping the Trost events for latecomers and moving the story forward a little bit.

You mean every cadet except for Marco. It's a good thing that he was prepared to die! :v:

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 1, 2013

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

I think it's kinda goofy that we've now got characters named Erin, Armin, and Erwin. Is this the Lord of the Rings here?
As an author, aren't you supposed to keep your names distinct for the sake of clarity?

I mean you can do that if you want to? But there are no set rules for writing anything at all

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The names are still quite discernible, even if they are similar.

It's a hell of a lot better then Clannad's Tomoya/Tomoyo. Guess which one's male and which is female. It took me half a season to figure out which was which.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ViggyNash posted:

It's a hell of a lot better then Clannad's Tomoya/Tomoyo. Guess which one's male and which is female. It took me half a season to figure out which was which.
Took Sunohara about that long, too. :v:

dirty nub
Jan 19, 2009

As someone who doesn't watch a whole lot of anime, I really enjoyed the first few episodes of this and thought the setting was really interesting. But the endless monologues and flashbacks in some of the later episodes really got to me and I couldn't go on. Is that from the rush job and low budget that everyone is talking about or is that a stylistic anime thing?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Low budget? Considering that the animators put out an sos calling for MORE animators, I doubt budget is the issue here. In fact, I'm pretty sure this show has a ridiculous budget.

Honestly though, even if they had a low budget, the piss-poor quality we've been getting can't be explained by just that. Look at Shaft and what they did with Madoka Magica, one of the best and most iconic shows of recent years, on probably half the budget. Wit Studio's problem isn't a lack of talent or capacity. It has to be sheer incompetence.

Here's another thing I don't get: if time is the issue, then how does KyoAni put out consistently high quality animation under the same constraints? And it isn't like Wit is new to the industry since they were initially a part of IG, another well regarded company. I'm willing to bet that the problems they've had making the show are a result of organizational or managerial incompetence.

Its like they're trying to be the EA of anime.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.
An art installation in spain (unrelated)

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ViggyNash posted:

Honestly though, even if they had a low budget, the piss-poor quality we've been getting can't be explained by just that. Look at Shaft and what they did with Madoka Magica, one of the best and most iconic shows of recent years, on probably half the budget. Wit Studio's problem isn't a lack of talent or capacity. It has to be sheer incompetence.
Shaft are actually one of the worse offenders when it comes to unfinished product being put out to meet broadcast deadlines. There were whole scenes in Bakemonogatari that were replaced by title cards.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well Shaft and Shinbo are really good at finding creative ways to get around having no budget. Nothing like Asuka and Rei standing in an elevator for 5 minutes.

And besides the occasional attack of Megucas, Madoka was of a pretty consistent quality.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
There's no question on what caused the quality to plummet after the first few episodes were so well-done. It's time constraints. That's it. They misjudged when they should have aired the series and, unfortunately, it's a lot worse for it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

It's time constraints.

KyoAni has the same time constraints when they animate a show, and their shows generally have consistently better animation.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

As long as the parts that are worth animating (people slinging around on 3D gears, Eren punching titans) are animated well enough, I don't care about watching people move their exposition holes or whatever it is we are missing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

KyoAni has the same time constraints when they animate a show, and their shows generally have consistently better animation.

Oh yeah sure I bet, those scenes of moe bait eating cake are so well-animated they ought to be hung in the Louvre.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I'll assume you all missed Shinbou's horrific production crash called Tsukuyomi? It had much worse cases of sky stills than Titan. In fact, it had strangely unpainted scenes and was nearly unwatchable in the last couple of episodes. I think. It was a while ago.

Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cE7CpzeGdQ&hd=1

darkgray fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 2, 2013

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Oxxidation posted:

Oh yeah sure I bet, those scenes of moe bait eating cake are so well-animated they ought to be hung in the Louvre.

And really all those extra frames go into hair swinging and clothes flapping as they tilt their heads around.

Ruttiger
Nov 3, 2004

The music itself is changing.
I made an opening parody with the Double Dream Hands guy, cause I'm addicted to these basically. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXsjxcqPAYY

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Of course, since their cash magnet show is obviously representative of the usual quality of their work.

I'm talking about their 1-2 course shows, like Chuunibyo and Hyouka for more recent titles. Those shows are gorgeous.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

ViggyNash posted:

Dude, please, just stop. I don't know what this series did to you on a personal level but you're really losing touch.
Yes, this episode had some laughable problems but it also had some fantastic moments of high class animation.
Comparing it to KyoAni is marginally insane as well since while they do animate very well what they're doing isn't exactly visually intense. We also have no idea how each studio operates/relative budgets/schedule in anyway so, again, comparison is stupid and ill informed. On top of that, comparing anyone to KyoAni is generally rather unfair. They really outclass most other studios. Believe it or not but even with their problems Wit right now, in my opinion, compares favourably to lots of other studios. P.A works couldn't do AoT. DEEN would shrivel up and die trying to do the OP.

Your SHAFT comparisons are also way off base. Now, I love me some SHAFT. When under a budget they'll pull out the style and mask it pretty loving well but they've put out SZS without the OP finished twice. First season they had nothing until Ep 3 and second season they only had it half done and worked around it by just updating it each episode. Almost every episode had sever fixes when it came to DVD with one segment being almost entirely redrawn. Bakemonogatari was plagued with problems throughout its production. Large blocks of nothing, episodes undergoing massive changes to DVD again and the DVD only episodes being delayed by months. Let's not touch on Kizumonogatari, the movie promised at the end of Bake that has yet to even have a release date.
I understand the Negima!? movie also had massive problems which required the author to put up a blog entry explaining what the whole thing was about. Lots of minimal animation again.
Hidamari also had an unfished OP, missing backgrounds (instead of a picture of Mt. Fuji they just had the kanji for it) and so forth.
Even Madoka had major problems. At the time it was meant to air the finale was pretty unfinished and it was only thanks to the Earth itself ripping itself apart that SHAFT got the episode done.
These are just the examples I've seen. I have no idea what other problems their other series have had but I don't doubt they existed.

So yeah, Wit has some problems but it's nowhere near as bad as you seem to be implying.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Its pretty piss poor when they're screwing with the frame rate extend a short scene and you are missing textures.

Yea they have the ocasionally fantastic scene, but to me it isn't worth the absurd disparity in quality. They bit off more than they can chew and are making GBS threads themselves trying to deal with it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The production issues are confusing for me because this seems to be a hugely popular show and even a weird historical drama like Le Chevalier D'Eon (which has gotta be a niche title) has less obvious problems - Wikipedia says that was made weekly. Then again, that show has a lot of talking.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 2, 2013

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Its pretty piss poor when they're screwing with the frame rate extend a short scene and you are missing textures.

Yea they have the ocasionally fantastic scene, but to me it isn't worth the absurd disparity in quality. They bit off more than they can chew and are making GBS threads themselves trying to deal with it.

We get it, now can you shut up about it. Your spamming page after page about the animation quality and getting mad about anime is becoming unbearable.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

Real talk: you should consider watching the rest of the show when the blu-rays come out. It might not fix every problem you have with the show, but they should be fixing a bunch of animation problems.

I mean you bring up Shaft but were it not for the most recent episode of AoT having uncolored textures in a few spots, they'd easily be worse at this.

There's a reason why some people frequently wait for Shaft series to get a blu-ray release before watching them; they have a track record of turning in outright unfinished work for the tv cut.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

piss poor making GBS threads

Go read the comic already jesus.

Big Eren just stepped on a thing so hard it turned a different color.

Actually don't read the comic so you don't muck up that thread too.

Poniard fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 2, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The anime team is just trying to make a faithful representation of the manga. Just like the manga, the anime has fantastic action and titan-punching-titan scenes; and just like the manga, the characters in the anime occasionally have derpy faces and tiny hands and feet.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

JosephWongKS posted:

The anime team is just trying to make a faithful representation of the manga. Just like the manga, the anime has fantastic action and titan-punching-titan scenes; and just like the manga, the characters in the anime occasionally have derpy faces and tiny hands and feet.

So does the manga have consecutive multi-page spreads of different parts of the same landscape, as off-page characters have a conversation via disembodied speech bubbles?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

arhra posted:

So does the manga have consecutive multi-page spreads of different parts of the same landscape, as off-page characters have a conversation via disembodied speech bubbles?

When did this happen in the anime?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Popo posted:

they've put out SZS without the OP finished twice.

Which is pretty funny, as both times what they eventually turned in was mostly stills with some limited animation sprinkled in around the edges. Not that I don't love them (finished and unfinished versions) :allears:.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Kild posted:

When did this happen in the anime?

OK, that may have been slight hyperbole, but there have been a bunch of conversations done while panning over stills (or with very minimal amounts of animation) in various episodes (not that that's unique to this show; it just stands out since the parts that are fully animated are generally pretty excellent).

Not to mention the unfinished version of ep5 that some stations got.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

arhra posted:

OK, that may have been slight hyperbole, but there have been a bunch of conversations done while panning over stills (or with very minimal amounts of animation) in various episodes (not that that's unique to this show; it just stands out since the parts that are fully animated are generally pretty excellent).

Not to mention the unfinished version of ep5 that some stations got.

I've only seen it in recaps/flashbacks. Like when they were covering the aftermath of this episode.

e: Like this

Kild fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 3, 2013

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Kild posted:

I've only seen it in recaps/flashbacks. Like when they were covering the aftermath of this episode.

There are occasions where they do it for non-flashback stuff, too - one that stood out to me as I was watching was when they were preparing to fight the titans in the storehouse so they could resupply, in ep8. There's an entire conversation they have, while on-screen it just pans over various different portions of a couple of stills of them walking down some stairs:

I probably wouldn't notice it so much if there was more variety in the locations, but they've spent most of the show now in one small city, and there's only so many slow pans across the rooftops you can see before they all start to look alike.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
argh recap episode, just.. just take a few weeks off or something. I can find something else to watch on Tuesdays for a bit. It's cool.

Episode 13:
Er, when did Marco die? Or are we not supposed to know that yet? Wait, let me rephrase that so the answer is less likely to be a spoiler. Was it SHOWN how he died and I missed it, or does he go from alive to "Note: Marco died on his way back to his home planet"?

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010
^^^ You didn't miss anything. It was like that in the manga as well.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Zogundar posted:

Episode 13:
Er, when did Marco die? Or are we not supposed to know that yet? Wait, let me rephrase that so the answer is less likely to be a spoiler. Was it SHOWN how he died and I missed it, or does he go from alive to "Note: Marco died on his way back to his home planet"?

His death isn't a big enough deal to warrant knowing how or when it happened, especially since there were more important things happening. The only real significance of his death was its effect on Levi when he sees what's left of the body.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ViggyNash posted:

His death isn't a big enough deal to warrant knowing how or when it happened, especially since there were more important things happening. The only real significance of his death was its effect on Levi when he sees what's left of the body.

You mean effect on Jean, right? Levi never saw the body in the anime or the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

You mean effect on Jean, right? Levi never saw the body in the anime or the manga.

Whoops, yea I meant him. I got the names mixed up.

• Locked thread