Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

Captain_Indigo posted:

I feel stupid because it's not even slightly hidden, but in Fight Club, as the Project Mayhem stuff is beginning to start, but before the full extent of it is ever revealed, the bus drops the narrator off at his front door.

The REALLY subtle thing about that scene is that while he's in the bus, 'Jack' is holding the manilla folders that he discovers later in the film, which contain all of the different plans and security details of the buildings that they plan to...well, I'll leave it at that since I don't know how to spoiler code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
In Batman, when Alexander Knox first meets Vicki Vale (a photographer) he remarks, "If you want me to pose nude you're gonna need a long lens." Long lenses are used primarily to zoom into objects that are very far away. It might be a subtle "tiny penis" joke on the part of the DP and director, but I suspect it was just written that way because the average layperson audience member associates the word "long" and that makes the joke.

I still got a chuckle out of it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Or Knox is a moron. I believe there's more supporting evidence for that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's probably both. To people who don't know anything about photography he's just making a really bad pickup line, but anyone who knows things about photography (including everyone behind the camera) knows what it actually implies.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

That wasn't exactly subtle. And by "not subtle" I mean that was the joke.

There are two components to that gag, the novelty sized comb/combing the desert bit, and the fact that the African american guys use a 'fro comb. The second part is the subtle part, and you're being obtuse if you don't think it was missed by most viewers.

deoju has a new favorite as of 10:26 on Jul 2, 2013

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Have you seen the specific Space Balls scene? It goes from a zoomed-out view of two sets of white dudes with a regular comb to a close-in of black dudes with a fro pick who then say "We ain't found poo poo". It's literally impossible to miss that.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Fine, I give up. I'm the dense one.

Loquitor
Dec 29, 2007
non res ipsa loquitor

deoju posted:

There are two components to that gag, the novelty sized comb/combing the desert bit, and the fact that the African american guys use a 'fro comb. The second part is the subtle part, and you're being obtuse if you don't think it was missed by most viewers.

I was a white English nine year old when I saw that movie and I got it. Mel Brooks is funny but he's not subtle.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Loquitor posted:

I was a white English nine year old when I saw that movie and I got it. Mel Brooks is funny but he's not subtle.

When I was a kid I thought it was a funny joke because "haha they got a smaller comb". Now that I'm older and know what an afro comb is its even funnier.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Loquitor posted:

There's one joke I think is brilliant now that my 9 year old self never got...

History of the World Part 1 posted:

Oedipus: [walking around collecting donations in 'blindman' sunglasses] Give to Oedipus! Give to Oedipus! Hey, Josephus!
Josephus: Yo Oedipus, What's up motherfucker?!

My 9 year old self thought the joke was just the 'blind man' faking it... "PYF Subtle (to a 9 year old) Movie Moments"

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Hughlander posted:

[History of the World Part 1 Joke]

My 9 year old self thought the joke was just the 'blind man' faking it... "PYF Subtle (to a 9 year old) Movie Moments"

I still firmly stand by the fact that this is one of the best throw-away jokes ever put on film.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I still firmly stand by the fact that this is one of the best throw-away jokes ever put on film.

Oh definitely, but it's a hard subject to broach.

Closet Cyborg
Jan 1, 2008
Our love will rust this world

plainswalker75 posted:

Oh definitely, but it's a hard subject to broach.

:golfclap:

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
What's the most subtle thing Mel Brooks had done?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Ninja Gamer posted:

What's the most subtle thing Mel Brooks had done?

Produce David Lynch's The Elephant Man in 1980.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

benito posted:

Produce David Lynch's The Elephant Man in 1980.

Beaten. I just watched a Mel Brooks documentary on PBS yesterday and wondered if anyone knew this.

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

Hughlander posted:

There is an Oedipus joke in Disneys Hercules as well, which I only noticed recently.
"And that play, that Oedipus thing? Man I thought I had problems."

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Someone mentioned the moment in Avengers with the Stark tower becoming the A-vengers tower over the course of the fight.

What I considered subtle in that movie was something many people thought was a plot hole. Banner gets a peak at the portal location just before he gets separated and goes Hulk. So when he arrives later on a moped, he already knew where to go. He was just catching up.

E: You can tell because he has a surprised look on his face when it flashes complete or whatever on the screen.

Bavius has a new favorite as of 07:19 on Jul 4, 2013

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Bavius posted:

Someone mentioned the moment in Avengers with the Stark tower becoming the A-vengers tower over the course of the fight.

What I considered subtle in that movie was something many people thought was a plot hole. Banner gets a peak at the portal location just before he gets separated and goes Hulk. So when he arrives later on a moped, he already knew where to go. He was just catching up.

E: You can tell because he has a surprised look on his face when it flashes complete or whatever on the screen.

I don't even know how that could be considered a plot hole. There's a giant hole in the sky with aliens flying out. He could probably see it from where he landed.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
True enough, just something I remember people moaning about. Not the best movie ever but not as slapped together as people like to claim.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Sir Jebus posted:

There is an Oedipus joke in Disneys Hercules as well, which I only noticed recently.
"And that play, that Oedipus thing? Man I thought I had problems."

As much as Disney butchered the Hercules/Heracles story (and they kinda had to, similar to Pocahontas and the Hunchback movies, to sell them to kids), they did get the romantic lead's name right: Megara was Hercules' first wife, the one he killed, along with their kids, when Hera made him crazy.

As for the Toy Story 2 talk, I agree that Woody is very likely some kind of heirloom toy; in Toy Story 3, he is the only one Andy is going to take with him to college, though he seems to debate about bringing Buzz. But Buzz is a recent toy, everyone in Andy's age group probably had one as a kid, whereas Woody might be seen more like a sentimental value item, rather than a kid's toy.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Well I didn't expect to read through 40 pages of this thread with no mention of Stay. It's one of my favorite movies ever, and it's full of subtleties. Seriously go see it now.

The ending of the movie can be easily dismissed as "it was just a dream" and a ripoff of Jacob's Ladder (also an awesome film) but halfway through the movie Leon reveals the whole concept by asking Sam to recall the story of the burning boy by Freud. He is interrupted halfway through the story by Henry who then recognizes Leon as his dead father, but the complete story explains the entire movie - Henry's desire is to remain in the dream because its reality is much more bearable than the reality of him having killed his fiancee and his parents in a car crash. But when the reality of the dream turns into a nightmare, it becomes more unbearable than the real world and he returns to reality just in time to die. All the characters of his dream are the people surrounding him; he has incorporated them (the outside stimuli) into his dream, much like your brain incorporates real sounds into your dreams - out of desire to remain in the dream state.

And then there's Sam's ridiculously short pants legs - Henry imagines him like this because he is squatting over the dying Henry and his pants legs are pulled up.

Then there are the colors blue and yellow which prevail in the movie - these are the color of the night sky and yellow lights Henry sees laying on the bridge.

The whole movie is basically a dream. All the extras come in pair or threes of the same person, but it's not something you necessarily spot without paying attention. The movie, just like a dream, is very focused on the protagonists and what is happening between them; the background is just a settin, and the dreaming brain doesn't put much effort into it.

And since I'm already :spergin: about Stay - the scene when Sam comes home after being bitten by Ollie is a fantastic bit of editing which I think very realistically show how it feels when you are losing your grip on reality. Nothing really strange happens, but the way time staggers and keep rewinding every few seconds has an 'uncanny valley' effect. That feeling (that you get on bad trips and such) when everything that is happening around you seems normal, and at first you don't realize what is happening, you just feel that something is very wrong and you can really feel Sam's panic.

burexas.irom has a new favorite as of 00:21 on Jul 5, 2013

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

burexas.irom posted:

And then there's Sam's ridiculously short pants legs - Henry imagines him like this because he is squatting over the dying Henry and his pants legs are pulled up.

This is great! I knew many of the other things you had posted, but I had never noticed or thought about this before. Is there an article or writeup about all the little nuances of the film somewhere?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

burexas.irom posted:

Well I didn't expect to read through 40 pages of this thread with no mention of Stay. It's one of my favorite movies ever, and it's full of subtleties. Seriously go see it now.

The ending of the movie can be easily dismissed as "it was just a dream" and a ripoff of Jacob's Ladder (also an awesome film) but halfway through the movie Leon reveals the whole concept by asking Sam to recall the story of the burning boy by Freud. He is interrupted halfway through the story by Henry who then recognizes Leon as his dead father, but the complete story explains the entire movie - Henry's desire is to remain in the dream because its reality is much more bearable than the reality of him having killed his fiancee and his parents in a car crash. But when the reality of the dream turns into a nightmare, it becomes more unbearable than the real world and he returns to reality just in time to die. All the characters of his dream are the people surrounding him; he has incorporated them (the outside stimuli) into his dream, much like your brain incorporates real sounds into your dreams - out of desire to remain in the dream state.

Then there are the colors blue and yellow which prevail in the movie - these are the color of the night sky and yellow lights Henry sees laying on the bridge.

The whole movie is basically a dream. All the extras come in pair or threes of the same person, but it's not something you necessarily spot without paying attention. The movie, just like a dream, is very focused on the protagonists and what is happening between them; the background is just a settin, and the dreaming brain doesn't put much effort into it.

And since I'm already :spergin: about Stay - the scene when Sam comes home after being bitten by Ollie is a fantastic bit of editing which I think very realistically show how it feels when you are losing your grip on reality. Nothing really strange happens, but the way time staggers and keep rewinding every few seconds has an 'uncanny valley' effect. That feeling (that you get on bad trips and such) when everything that is happening around you seems normal, and at first you don't realize what is happening, you just feel that something is very wrong and you can really feel Sam's panic.

Good lord, I LOVED this movie for that kind of stuff but I hadn't even remembered it existed in... man, at least five or six years. I'm going to have to find somewhere to rewatch it so I can catch all the little things.

Edit: Ryan Gosling starred in that? Man, I had no idea.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

RangerScum posted:

This is great! I knew many of the other things you had posted, but I had never noticed or thought about this before. Is there an article or writeup about all the little nuances of the film somewhere?

I don't know, the bit about the pants is mentioned in the trivia section of Stay's IMDB page.

Bondage
Jun 9, 2008

by Ralp

EvanSchenck posted:

There's a funny moment on the commentary where Milius is expounding on what he would have done with the sequel, and Schwarzenegger says something like, yeah, it's a pity there were never any sequels to this movie. Milius points out that a sequel was made, and Arnold was in it--but Arnold seems to have no idea what he's talking about. The guy's been in a lot of movies, sure, but the fact that he just totally forgot one of them tells you a lot about how good a film it was.

From way back on page 11:

Arnold is being tongue-in-cheek. He pretends Conan The Destroyer never happened.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just finished watching Deja Vu, which I thought I was recommended and discussed in this thread, but I going back I can't find any posts that talk about it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Professor Shark posted:

I just finished watching Deja Vu, which I thought I was recommended and discussed in this thread, but I going back I can't find any posts that talk about it.

Maybe you just think that happened...

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

I watched 9 last night and was reminded of some of the subtleties I like in the character design.

When #9 meets #2, #2 comments on how much more complex #9's hands are than his own. There are some other neat complexities that the later numbers have and the earlier don't, showing that the scientist was improving with each he made. In some cases it seems like they get simpler too, like stitching becomes simpler on some of them because he made a more clever design.

It would be my favorite part of the movie, except I'm not sure it's entirely consistent. #2 seems amazed by #9's molded copper fingers and jointed wooden palm, but #7 seems to have the same fingers and #3 and #4 seem to have the same palms. It's still pretty neat, though.

The characters, for reference:

(L to R: #s 1, 6, 5, 2 (sitting), 7, 9, 8 (big guy), 4, 3)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I really liked this little touch in Pacific Rim. At the end, when the life rafts hit the surface, they automatically pop green dye. It's just nice to see that somebody actually took 5 minutes and researched what's on a real life raft as opposed to just "stick some floats on a casket and print it."

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just finished watching Primer, and a lot of things that I overlooked from the beginning of the movie made much more sense towards the end/ after I thought about it for a bit.

What a good movie though, I cannot believe that I hadn't heard about it before now.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Elendil004 posted:

I really liked this little touch in Pacific Rim. At the end, when the life rafts hit the surface, they automatically pop green dye. It's just nice to see that somebody actually took 5 minutes and researched what's on a real life raft as opposed to just "stick some floats on a casket and print it."

There are a lot of neat touches like this in Pacific Rim. I'm not going to spoiler it since its literally before the opening credits and not a plot point, but on one of Gipsy Danger shoulders, there's a bit of pin-up artwork. I love that level of devotion to detail and subtle worldbuilding. Also, please please please go see Pacific Rim. It's a great movie and if you'd feel comfortable showing your kids Jurassic Park, then Pacific Rim is perfectly appropriate for them as well.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Watched Cloud Atlas last night for the first time after seeing it in theaters. This movie has a jillion subtle moments but there was one I didn't pick up on until the second viewing. In the 1936 segment, Vyvyan Ayrs wakes Frobisher up in the middle of the night saying he'd heard music from a violin in a dream. He was referring to the Cloud Atlas Sextet. In the 2144 segment, when they're walking through Neo Seoul, an old man is shown playing the Sextet on a violin. The old man is Jim Broadbent, the same actor that plays Vyvyan Ayrs.

A lot of people hate on this movie but I love it for little things like that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm not sure how subtle it is but I never caught it before.

In Boogie Nights during the pool party scene, a kid calls asking for "Maggie" and says she's his mother but nobody can find her or knows who she is. Later on, during her custody hearing, "Maggie" turns out to be Amber Waves (Julianne Moore) but nobody at the party knew that because they all knew each other by their porn names.

Boogie Nights gets better the more times you watch it and there's a lot of little stuff in it.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Not a really a movie, but I don't think there's a subtle TV moments thread. Anyway, in the "OT: The Outside Toilet" episode of Bob's Burgers, the ice cream machine has a huge dent on the side from the mechanical shark a few episodes earlier.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

But then the 2nd one didnt.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

KoB posted:

Maybe it was rigged to not go off since it detected him as being dead that way there wouldn't be confusion as to which life raft to go with? Probably oversight but I'd be willing to believe a world with giant robots would roll that way.

Len has a new favorite as of 12:03 on Jul 17, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a brand new movie, people.

KoB posted:

Second one is damaged.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Something I caught on my second viewing of Pacific Rim. The first witness to our first real plot-relevant Kaiju? A fishing boat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

It's a brand new movie, people.

My post doesn't make any sense without seeing the movie or reading the previous post anyway :v: