Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

David Pratt posted:

Some of the metal that has stuck out for me recently has had horns, sometimes as a solo instrument, sometimes just jamming along with the guitar. Here are some examples, does anyone know of anything similar?

Whourkr - Polygroin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_4o5qeWzJY

Noism, Drumcorps, Jet Jaguar KR3 Kill Spree, Gnaw, Curse of the Golden Vampire

e: nvm didn't read the horns part. Oh well, if you like Whourkr you'll probably like that other stuff.

There's also the John Zorn stuff like Painkiller and Naked City. Also Ephel Duath and there were a couple Candiria albums where they had a horn section.

e2: Dog Fashion Disco too, if Mr. Bungle knockoffs don't bug you too much.

Of course there's this classic too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p20PijYVgG4

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think Giant Squid use horns sometimes (Throwing a Donner Party at Sea), though they aren't nearly as important to their sound as the cello.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The newest Napalm Death album has John Zorn wailing on one song.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
new gorguts song is so good

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

thepitgoddess posted:

So, this is new.

And you know, not Amon Amarth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dokIQOKxKSc

NEW CARCASS SONG. I dig it. I don't know where exactly it fits in their discog. I wanna listen to the album but I have no idea where this song is headed.
Awesome, this is great.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Is anyone here going to see Coroner at the Meh Suff! festival in Switzerland in August? I can't wait to see them live, the rest of the festival lineup isn't anything terribly exciting, but it should be fun times.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
YouTube link for Carcass is down due to infringement claim, here's a working one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txUqEMJAp8U

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

m-o-o-n posted:

Fuckin Andy Sneap trying his best to ruin Carcass with his production. That's still a pretty good song though!

I'm not sure what he's known for production wise but I like that I can hear the guitar tone more clearly than their older stuff. I'll agree it's a bit....piercing sounding, but I love the guitar standing out more.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Morbid Florist posted:

I'm not sure what he's known for production wise but I like that I can hear the guitar tone more clearly than their older stuff. I'll agree it's a bit....piercing sounding, but I love the guitar standing out more.

Listen to the last few Exodus, Testament, Arch Enemy, or Kreator albums. They all have a very dry guitar sound and weak drums which might as well be from a drum machine. Some people like the clarity, others think it sounds sterile and dated at this point, and that his productions make every band sound the same.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

comes along bort posted:

Listen to the last few Exodus, Testament, Arch Enemy, or Kreator albums. They all have a very dry guitar sound and weak drums which might as well be from a drum machine. Some people like the clarity, others think it sounds sterile and dated at this point, and that his productions make every band sound the same.
Andy Sneap actually blends a triggered sample in with the recorded drum hits as a component of his signature sound, so "might as well be from a drum machine" really isn't far off.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I know I'm late to the party, but I recently discovered Obscura and HOLY gently caress THOSE SOLOS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eafxe8mql1w

I know tech death gets a bad rap from time to time due to the complexity, but this whole album is listenable, but mind blowing at the same time.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I made this for people like YOV

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The 2nd episode of my experimental mixtape series "Good Lawrd! Radio" is finished. This episode is called "A Heart as Black as My Shades" and it is a DJ set love letter to the spirit of metal and SATAN

https://soundcloud.com/good-lawrd-radio/a-heart-as-black-as-my-shades

I suggest reading the real tracklist after a listen.

Runtime: 22 mins
Tracklist:

I. INCANTATION
II. THE ARRIVAL
III. THE SIX NAMES
IV. WELCOME TO HELLO
V. LETS PARTY!

1. Meatloaf - Wasted Youth (spoken intro)
2. Children of Bodom - Bastards of Bodom
3. Justice - Stress (A Cross, The Universe version w/ added intro from The Exorcism of Emily Rose)
4. NecroComicCon - Hello (Lionel Richie cover)
5. Marilyn Manson - I Don't Like the Drugs (But the Drugs Like Me)

Please support NecroComicCon, they are the only metal cover band I care to gently caress with, their albums are all free and the cover of the latest one is the greatest thing I have ever seen

https://www.facebook.com/Necrocomiccon?fref=ts

Please enjoy

Edit: Good timing on my part my girlfriend is gonna poo poo her pants when she finds out Carcass is doing a new album

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 2, 2013

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
I'm not sure tech-death gets a bad rap "due to the complexity" per se. Merrrrgh at Obscura anyway. It's like an even smoother version of Process of a New Decline.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Vargatron posted:

I know I'm late to the party, but I recently discovered Obscura and HOLY gently caress THOSE SOLOS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eafxe8mql1w

I know tech death gets a bad rap from time to time due to the complexity, but this whole album is listenable, but mind blowing at the same time.

I've always been partial to Ocean Gateways. It's such a great composition, it nails all of the technical poo poo you expect from tech-death but really is solid as a cohesive piece of music as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHgnMHo4Nr4

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Misogynist posted:

Andy Sneap actually blends a triggered sample in with the recorded drum hits as a component of his signature sound, so "might as well be from a drum machine" really isn't far off.

To be fair that's a really common technique, especially on kick and snare. Scott Hull's production on the last couple Pig Destroyer albums is a good example of it used properly, still keeping some of the room sound from the overheads.

The problem in particular with Sneap is quadtracking guitars and pushing them up front, which creates this wall of noise which drowns out normal drum tracks forcing him to use samples, and actually makes it sound less heavy since everything's so midrange-focused. The heaviest recorded guitar tones come from having audible bass underneath, with the drums further up in the mix.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

comes along bort posted:

The problem in particular with Sneap is quadtracking guitars and pushing them up front, which creates this wall of noise which drowns out normal drum tracks forcing him to use samples, and actually makes it sound less heavy since everything's so midrange-focused.

Erik Rutan is even worse in this respect. Everything he produces is a hideous muddy slab of midtones.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

comes along bort posted:

The problem in particular with Sneap is quadtracking guitars and pushing them up front, which creates this wall of noise which drowns out normal drum tracks forcing him to use samples, and actually makes it sound less heavy since everything's so midrange-focused. The heaviest recorded guitar tones come from having audible bass underneath, with the drums further up in the mix.

Yeah the drums sounded kind of lovely. I wish it was like old Carcass, which felt like it was about to fall apart at any moment. Pretty good song though :)

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
The new album from Huntress, Starbound Beast, dropped today.

(Napalm Records' preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDvWgKPCA24)

I'm really digging this album. Their first disc was good, but I felt Jill Janus' vocals were a little rough though her screams were great. Their sound has matured, as well. So far, I think Blood Sisters is probably my favorite track; the intro is great and the song really showcases Jill's vocal range.

The song co-written with Lemmy is pretty funny (I Want to gently caress You to Death), and there's a decent Priest cover on it as well.

I've probably been looking forward to this album as much as Amon Amarth's new offering, and it doesn't disappoint.

co199 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 2, 2013

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Dropped is the perfect word for that band. If Lemmy wasn't an awesome dirty old man I'd have no idea why he bothered.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

co199 posted:

Huntress

This is one of those rare bands where I just don't understand what about it is supposed to be appealing or even to whom it might appeal to at all.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Martout posted:

This is one of those rare bands where I just don't understand what about it is supposed to be appealing or even to whom it might appeal to at all.

Really? You really don't see who a band fronted by a woman dressed like this

Might be marketed towards?

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

co199 posted:

I've probably been looking forward to this album as much as Amon Amarth's new offering, and it doesn't disappoint.

What is wrong with you?

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
I'm well aware of the marketing the band has gotten. She did do some DJ work for Playboy at one time.

I think, though, that their talent gets lost in the mix. Their first album was a little rough around the edges, but there were some decent guitar work and screams present, particularly on Terror and Sleep and Death. It was a pretty good debut, if a little disjointed and focused a little too much on Jill Janus' screams. This new one showcases a maturing of their sound (as well as their image - the marketing is decidedly less boob-centric this go 'round), mostly in that Jill focuses more on clean singing and the songs have a little more structure to them. I think they should focus even more on the clean singing because it showcases her voice. She has a decent scream, but she's not Angela Gossow.

Starbound Beast is decidedly more in the traditional heavy metal realm than Spell Eater was; I'd say there's a good bit of Maiden and Priest tribute in there.

Auditore posted:

What is wrong with you?

I like both bands and was excited about both releases!

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The thing with Huntress for me is that the entire band revolves around the fact that Jill Janus is the singer which is a problem when the singing of Jill Janus ends up being pretty unimpressive. For the touting of her training and vocal range she just doesn't sound very good no matter what she's trying. The generic heavy metal beneath is pretty inoffensive but I can get that kind of thing elsewhere without the strained screeching.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

nerve posted:

When I saw them with Turisas the only thing more awkward than the line of greasy guys who wanted their photo with Jill was the frequency they'd just faux-covertly take one of her.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

nerve posted:

No poo poo, my point was that I have never known a person who would fall for that kind of offensively stupid pandering so I can't really picture what kind of person would.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Martout posted:

No poo poo, my point was that I have never known a person who would fall for that kind of offensively stupid pandering so I can't really picture what kind of person would.

Look up, I guess.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Speaking of lovely metal bands that utilize naked female bandmembers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNRjHkn1e9A

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Reckon they could push their tits up any higher?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
They were at Mayhem Festival and didn't even show their electrical taped bitties. Waste of time, drat hot though. One of them is a mortician or something, so probably into some freaky poo poo.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

KingKapalone posted:

They were at Mayhem Festival and didn't even show their electrical taped bitties. Waste of time, drat hot though. One of them is a mortician or something, so probably into some freaky poo poo.

:what:

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Yeah The Resistance has been very underwhelming considering I worship Jesper Stromblad. Part of me wonders if he's just trying to do something totally anti-In Flames instead of just writing what he's good at...

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
This seems like crazy fun, and I don't normally go for the symphnoic thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfo_7Ttf-Tc

I think I like the new Squash Bowels, too, but it doesn't quite deliver as much as Grindvirus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzxHLzLQEXw

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

comes along bort posted:

To be fair that's a really common technique, especially on kick and snare. Scott Hull's production on the last couple Pig Destroyer albums is a good example of it used properly, still keeping some of the room sound from the overheads.

I would agree with this as a general point but would like to observe that (for me) with Exodus, anyway, it works. Those Holt guitars right up front. Personally I LOVE the sound of Exhibit A & B, it sounds like a modernized uptake on the same sound they were going for on Fabulous Disaster. I think those last two Exodus albums are totally underrated, they totally hit the sweet spot for me. So while I agree that that's Sneap's approach and it comes with its limitations, for me when he gets it right with the right band, it's fuckin' right.

Caveat that this comes from a guy who think a lot of Colin Richardson production in the 90s is top-notch and he sometimes does the same thing?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

rivetz posted:

I would agree with this as a general point but would like to observe that (for me) with Exodus, anyway, it works. Those Holt guitars right up front. Personally I LOVE the sound of Exhibit A & B, it sounds like a modernized uptake on the same sound they were going for on Fabulous Disaster. I think those last two Exodus albums are totally underrated, they totally hit the sweet spot for me. So while I agree that that's Sneap's approach and it comes with its limitations, for me when he gets it right with the right band, it's fuckin' right.

Caveat that this comes from a guy who think a lot of Colin Richardson production in the 90s is top-notch and he sometimes does the same thing?

I totally agree with you. Those two albums are almost my favourite Exodus albums.

Edit: This is a good read
http://mixingtips.userboard.net/t58-golden-tips-andy-sneap-reveals-some-of-his-techniques

H13 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 9, 2013

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
Just bought my GwarBQ (http://gwarbq.com/) ticket. I'm super stoked. Is anyone else going?

What should I expect?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Expect your clothes and shoes to be dyed wacky colors by the end of the night.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I think I listen to too much metal...
I was driving behind a car on the highway yesterday and was trying to figure what metal band logo they had a sticker of on the back window.

...I got closer and out was just a fancy tribal butterfly :negative:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Hah, I made a comment in that vein about a tribal tattoo last night watching UFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

1. False Awakening Suite
i. Sleep Paralysis
ii. Night Terrors
iii. Lucid Dream
2. The Enemy Inside
3. The Looking Glass
4. Enigma Machine
5. The Bigger Picture
6. Behind the Veil
7. Surrender to Reason
8. Along for the Ride
9. Illumination Theory
i. Paradoxe de la Lumière Noire
ii. Live, Die, Kill
iii. The Embracing Circle
iv. The Pursuit of Truth
v. Surrender, Trust & Passion

Source

Man I hope the drumming on this one is tight, because otherwise Blabbermouth.net is going to be exclusively filled with Portnoy ego news alerts for a year.