Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Quick question. I'm buying a saute pan. I have an electric stove, and the biggest 'ring' is 7" wide. I was all set to pick up the 5 1/2 quart Cuisinart MCP saute pan that No Wave suggested, but will that be effective on such a small ring? Am I better off getting the 3 1/2 quart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My dads birthday is coming up and he needs some new grill tools. Does anyone have any recommendations for something nice in the $50-100 range?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

fknlo posted:

My dads birthday is coming up and he needs some new grill tools. Does anyone have any recommendations for something nice in the $50-100 range?
Thermapeeeeeeeen

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/?tw=CHEFSTEPS

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What kind of grill does he have

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

What kind of grill does he have

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Good tongs and a quality wireless thermometer.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
My Vitamix is here, I've blended so many things since yesterday.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

deimos posted:

My Vitamix is here, I've blended so many things since yesterday.

congrats! welcome to the party. :cheers:

now you can smugly tell people to do things like make 2 minute sorbet or to temper the eggs for a sheared custard in your blender :smugbert: "oh you can't do that? that must suck"

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

temper the eggs

Details on that one pleeez!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

deimos posted:

Details on that one pleeez!

You basically build a custard in the blender using the friction from the blades to gently bring the custard up to temperature. Makes a fantastic lemon/fruit curd.

Edit: On the off chance that you haven't read the manuals and stuff, you know you can build fondues and heat soups, too right?

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 2, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

You basically build a custard in the blender using the friction from the blades to gently bring the custard up to temperature. Makes a fantastic lemon/fruit curd.

Edit: On the off chance that you haven't read the manuals and stuff, you know you can build fondues and heat soups, too right?

Yes. I was just wondering if there was something special with the custard blending.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Are the factory reconditioned Vitamixs worth looking into? I am on the cusp of buying an edgepro as a new toy but could be into a blender.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

bunnielab posted:

Are the factory reconditioned Vitamixs worth looking into? I am on the cusp of buying an edgepro as a new toy but could be into a blender.

Buy a faux pro and a refurb, from what I've seen/heard they are well worth it. Unfortunately the new model keeps going out of stock for the refurb.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

fwiw, factory reconditioned models are 430bux and costco sells 5200's for 475bux. I went with the brand new one for 50bux more, I think it's worth it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

fwiw, factory reconditioned models are 430bux and costco sells 5200's for 475bux. I went with the brand new one for 50bux more, I think it's worth it.

Huh, didn't even think to look at Costco. I want a blender but dont really need a $400 one but my obsession with tools leads me to want one.

I am going to sell all the sharpening poo poo I have now and invest in some stones in anycase and thought an edgepro would be a good benchmark for learning and will hold value well when I eventually want to sell it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Edge faux has been working basically 100% for me. And it's not like it's illegal or anything - the patent on the Edge pro expired in 2010. Up to you.

As a warning the stones for the edge pro suck for hand-grinding because they're so small.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

The reconditioned sells for $330 for the equivalent to the 5200. (+ shipping I guess). It's the newer model (shorter/quieter) that runs $400.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

deimos posted:

The reconditioned sells for $330 for the equivalent to the 5200. (+ shipping I guess). It's the newer model (shorter/quieter) that runs $400.

oops that was a typo on my part. I meant 330 and the +50bux is worth spending for a new notfurbished one. The 5200 at costco is 375bux

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

oops that was a typo on my part. I meant 330 and the +50bux is worth spending for a new notfurbished one. The 5200 at costco is 375bux

Yeah that makes more sense, I thought it was 330 vs 475.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I see the appeal of an edge pro, but screw that, get a decent stone or two and learn how to knife.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I currently have a bunch of Henckels knives. I also plan to get some Japanese/Chinese knives later just because I'm curious about learning about different knife types for myself.

Can I use the same sharpening stone for both German/Asian steel?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Can I use the same sharpening stone for both German/Asian steel?
Unless you have the acute form of knife-related Asperger's that propagates primarily via internet discussion forums, yes.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

SubG posted:

Unless you have the acute form of knife-related Asperger's that propagates primarily via internet discussion forums, yes.

Don't think I've ever seen anyone argue for different stones for different steels. I mean keep em clean to avoid swarf from a harder steel possibly doing weird stuff with a softer steel yes, but that's just normal operation anyways (clean the knife after each stone, clean the stone after each knife).

Aspies use a paper towel per stone grit to avoid grit contamination :colbert:.

deimos fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 3, 2013

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
I'm going to be crucified by the grill gods for asking this but does anyone know of a good quality indoor grill? I do have an outdoor charcoal grill but I'd like an indoor one, too, for the times I'm feeling lazy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
How about a mini propane grill for outside? They're $30-70 and pretty convenient for single meals

Edit: VVVV or that

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 4, 2013

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

JSnake posted:

I'm going to be crucified by the grill gods for asking this but does anyone know of a good quality indoor grill? I do have an outdoor charcoal grill but I'd like an indoor one, too, for the times I'm feeling lazy.
If you're got to cook indoors, just use your broiler if you have one or a skillet if you don't. Indoor charcoal grills are out because of carbon monoxide. Other forms of indoor grill are, outside of commercial kitchens, anaemic compared to their outdoor counterparts due to ventilation and grease/fireproofing concerns. So you'll end up with something that's the moral equivalent of a George Foreman grill, compared to which virtually any alternative is preferable.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I would get a small propane grill for outside. It's pretty nice to just press a button and have fire sometimes. You can even put in a small aluminum pan of wood chips soaked in water to get smokey flavor.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
if you want an indoor grill, use a broiler. if a broiler is too much effort, get a toaster oven with a broil setting.

any time you go in a japanese place and they're like toasting individual portions of eel or something, they just throw them in a toaster oven on a bit of foil. I use mine all the time if I want to make like a handful of nachos or something.

Luegene Cards
Oct 25, 2004
After living in an apartment for ~2 years, I found out last night that we can grill on our roof. Any recommendations for a cheapish portable grill for a grilling neophyte that would prefer not to burn down his home?

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I use a Weber Smokey Joe at home since I'm the only one who eats meat and its a great little grill, emphasis on little. http://www.weber.com/grills/series/smokey-joe

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Luegene Cards posted:

After living in an apartment for ~2 years, I found out last night that we can grill on our roof. Any recommendations for a cheapish portable grill for a grilling neophyte that would prefer not to burn down his home?

my girl's parents have this thing

http://www.casa.com/p/lodge-logic-l...pla&cagpspn=pla

it's loving awesome, very small. probably overkill for a neophyte, just get a cheap weber - but these cast iron hibachi grills are boss and burn with the fire of a thousand suns.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

I searched the thread and it seems the go-to recommendation for (higher end) pressure cookers is the Kuhn Rikon 3344, is this still the case?

Just want to make sure I am getting the right model, the old Fagor I was using does not want to maintain a seal even with new gaskets and I can't find where it's warped.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
IIRC, it was Grav who was recommending Kuhn Rikon closed-system pressure cookers, and that's one of them

Ilya Bryz
Apr 3, 2006
I have until the 21st of Feb to post my :toxx: or I will be banned.
For the first time in my life I'm gonna be living without any roommates, so I finally feel comfortable buying a set of nice cookware. I cook a ton and really enjoy it, but I don't know much about brands and materials. I know copper is good, and uh... that's about it.

I have all the basic pots and pans already, but it's very low quality Target stuff; since I'm just replacing things, I'm open to a wide range of sets. I'm looking to drop roughly $1000 on anywhere from 7 to 14 pieces. I can buy online, obviously, but there's a Sur La Table right near my house so it'd be cool to get something there and avoid the shipping costs. Here's the collections they have: http://www.surlatable.com/category/...aram=0278299612

If there's nothing worth going for on there, I'm open to all suggestions. I'm leaning towards the All-Clad Copper Core (http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-462580/All-Clad-Copper-Core-Ten-Piece-Set), but I read the OP and saw that a lot of people don't notice much of a difference between this and the aluminum core. The prices seem pretty comparable, and since I don't make anything super complicated or fancy I'm worried I'll wind up buying gear that's much better and more expensive than what I really need. I'd really appreciate any suggestions you guys might have.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I wouldn't buy a big set--you'll get one or two big useful pieces and a lot of smaller less useful pieces that will just take up cabinet space. If I had to start over, here's my short list of must have cookware with rough costs--this is what I use 99% of the time in my kitchen:
12" stainless skillet - $120
12" cast iron skillet - $20
12" nonstick skillet - $50
8" nonstick skillet - $10
4 qt. sauce pan - $80
6-7 qt. enameled cast iron dutch oven - $250
8 qt. pressure cooker - $200

Get nonstick stuff from a restaurant supply store since it's cheap and will need to be replaced every few years. That's still about $250 shy of $1000 so there's room to buy a decent chefs knife, lots of OXO gadgets (can opener, spatulas, strainer, etc.), and maybe a Thermapen thermometer too.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

If you're going to be cooking on gas, go to a restaurant supply place and buy some Vollrath pans. Get a 12in sauté, 6in sauté, 6qt saucepan, 24qt stockpot, a nonstick, nonstick rubber spat(high heat), tongs, a kitchen spoon or two, and a poly cutting board. Probably be 2-300 bucks.

Ilya Bryz
Apr 3, 2006
I won't be cooking on gas, sadly. I'm moving to Durham from Boston and it is impossible to find a gas stove down there. I was 100% not going to live anywhere with a range top but I looked at 15 places and saw 0 gas stoves. Do your thoughts on Vollrath still apply?

I have a pretty nice cutting board, chef's knife, and nonstick pan already, but I'll look into just buying a few pieces and a cast iron as mod sassinator suggested. I see that you said 12" stainless steel skillet, though. Do you think copper/aluminum core would be wasted on me, or was that just to keep the cost down?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Karb posted:

I won't be cooking on gas, sadly. I'm moving to Durham from Boston and it is impossible to find a gas stove down there. I was 100% not going to live anywhere with a range top but I looked at 15 places and saw 0 gas stoves. Do your thoughts on Vollrath still apply?

I have a pretty nice cutting board, chef's knife, and nonstick pan already, but I'll look into just buying a few pieces and a cast iron as mod sassinator suggested. I see that you said 12" stainless steel skillet, though. Do you think copper/aluminum core would be wasted on me, or was that just to keep the cost down?

There's definitely gas stoves in Durham. Where are you looking?

Ilya Bryz
Apr 3, 2006
Apartment complexes near Duke. I'm sure there are houses with gas, but I didn't have any luck in the communities. One of the guys who showed me around said I was really unlikely to find one in an apartment, so I rented a place on South LaSalle about 5 minutes from campus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Karb posted:

I haven't cooked with copper core stuff but from what I understand it's not a big difference in everyday cooking. Go for a nice clad stainless steel cookware--that's stainless on the outside with a core of aluminum on the inside. Pure aluminum or anodized aluminum is nice too because it heats up quickly and evenly, but it's usually a bigger pain to clean (most can't go in the dishwasher).

You mentioned cooking on electric ranges--if you're cooking on a smooth top range that isn't induction, I would look into cookware with a big aluminum disc on the bottom. I have a smooth electric range and have unfortunately found any clad stainless cookware will warp over time and end up wobbling & not making good contact with the smooth top. On gas or even induction it's fine because the cookware doesn't have to touch the surface for best heat transfer, but on a smooth electric it sucks because you get worse heat transfer and stuff takes longer to heat, cooks unevenly, etc. I've found aluminum disc cookware is usually very thick and less likely to warp. For example this Farberware disc bottom skillet has been a workhorse in my kitchen for almost 10 years now and cooks fantastically on my smooth top electric range: http://www.amazon.com/Farberware-Millennium-Stainless-Nonstick-Skillet/dp/B000U60464 In general look for something with a thick and heavy bottom. IMHO the best 12" skillets should just about be uncomfortable to lift because they're so dense.

• Locked thread