Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ramadu posted:

Savage always weirds me out because he seems to be reasonably smart with a PHD and all that. Then I hear him talk and I'm like :wtf:

He's a terrible racist and race-separatist. I've heard him make barely concealed calls for genocide before, so don't take his defense of Trayvon Martin as anything more than an attempt to generate attention for himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
If you need to unwind from listening to these guys, just pull up a few Lucky Ducky TTDB comics.

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Years ago I hear Savage read The White Mans Burden on his show. Then again, he always struck me as one of those playing the part of the conservative because they like money and being on the radio. So who knows.

Savage is totally playing a part, just like Downey Jr. back in the day.

The Trayvon thing is interesting, though, I'm not sure what he gets out of this other than a bit of attention.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zeroisanumber posted:

He's a terrible racist and race-separatist. I've heard him make barely concealed calls for genocide before, so don't take his defense of Trayvon Martin as anything more than an attempt to generate attention for himself.

It's possible that he had a rare moment of enlightenment due to the unusual circumstance of actually having direct knowledge of what he's talking about. He owns the gun personally, knows the guy would have only been able to shoot if he'd had a round chambered, etc.

Not likely -- I think he's probably just building up his contrarian thread -- but still possible.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Pope Guilty posted:

Well that's my mind blown. I thought he was on the "black genocide! Well not really, but really, kill 'em all" train.

Unless he said otherwise, there's no reason to believe that Zimmerman didn't have a round in the chamber. Most carriers I know do as well.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Everybody should know by now just not to bring firearms carrying protocol up. It never ends well.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Unless he said otherwise, there's no reason to believe that Zimmerman didn't have a round in the chamber. Most carriers I know do as well.

Yeah, this. If I were going out and thought that I might confront a criminal, I'd chamber a round.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Sir Tonk posted:

If you need to unwind from listening to these guys, just pull up a few Lucky Ducky TTDB comics.

I heard somewhere they're making a movie about Downey, Jr.

FOX & Friends were interviewing a dude about Snowden today. The party line pretty much seems to be "Snowden bad" but the host, playing Devil's Advocate, asked "but what if he had (leaked) information about, say, Benghazi??" The implication I guess being that if Snowden could skewer the administration with Benghazi information, he might not be so bad. It's just bizarre to hear them still clinging to it. Don't we pretty much know everything about Benghazi at this point?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

BiggerBoat posted:

Don't we pretty much know everything about Benghazi at this point?

Obama hasn't been impeached yet so: no.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
Michael Savage has a pretty impressive education in the Medical Field, and yet he chose to spread anxiety & talk poo poo on the radio rather than use that education to pursue a career in that field and help people. Guess there was more money in radio.

FYGM at it's finest.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Sir Tonk posted:

The Trayvon thing is interesting, though, I'm not sure what he gets out of this other than a bit of attention.

Robert Downey Jr.? Was he playing a really right wing shithead role or something? Or is this a different Downey Jr.?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Robert Downey Jr.? Was he playing a really right wing shithead role or something? Or is this a different Downey Jr.?

Morton Downey Jr, the original shock jock. I was going to say "right-wing shock jock", but that goes without saying.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Devour posted:

Michael Savage has a pretty impressive education in the Medical Field, and yet he chose to spread anxiety & talk poo poo on the radio rather than use that education to pursue a career in that field and help people. Guess there was more money in radio.

FYGM at it's finest.

I guess the definition of "impressive" varies. Dr. Michael Weiner holds- master's degrees from the University of Hawaii in medical botany and medical anthropology along with a Ph.D. from UC Berkeley in nutritional ethnomedicine."

He wrote books on healing herbs and vitamins before his...transformation, so he may be a troll or maybe it's just he's a pretty smart guy going where the easy money is.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What's the relationship, if any, between the Fox News cable channel, and the many local Fox news stations around the country?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

redshirt posted:

What's the relationship, if any, between the Fox News cable channel, and the many local Fox news stations around the country?

Fox affiliates are their own operations with various different owners. Thanks to budget cuts more and more local newscasts are taking the premade news packages that come from the network, in this case Fox News, with many of the inherent biases and the like but overall the tone of the local newscast is determined by ownership and news director.

A bigger issue is ownership groups like Sinclair that forced affiliates to run an Anti-Kerry film 2 weeks before the election. They even added a cherry on top by firing their Washington bureau chief who said the film was propaganda. They've done similar, but lower profile stunts since then before elections.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Fox affiliates are their own operations with various different owners. Thanks to budget cuts more and more local newscasts are taking the premade news packages that come from the network, in this case Fox News, with many of the inherent biases and the like but overall the tone of the local newscast is determined by ownership and news director.

A bigger issue is ownership groups like Sinclair that forced affiliates to run an Anti-Kerry film 2 weeks before the election. They even added a cherry on top by firing their Washington bureau chief who said the film was propaganda. They've done similar, but lower profile stunts since then before elections.

Yeah, Sinclair is notorious for forcing it's stations to run right-wing propaganda. Worse yet, they're currently in a buying spree:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_Broadcast_Group

Plus, the Fox station in DC (which is owned by Fox itself) has had it's share of right-wing stuff ordered from the top:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTTG#Criticism

On the flip side, I know the station in Vegas has made it abundantly clear they're not an extension of Fox News.

While I'm at it, I just heard Megyn Kelly is getting a nightly show on Fox News. I wouldn't be surprised if it's replacing Greta Van Susteren's hour since it was hinted she was going to take a reduced schedule:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/megyn-kelly-moving-to-fox-news-primetime-lineup/

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I was flabbergasted listening to Michael Savage on the way home. He was defending Trayvon Martin.

And I don't mean in a tippy-toe conservative pundit pussy way of "well we don't actually know what happened" but actually saying "how did George Zimmerman fire a gun if he was being beaten on the ground and I own the gun he used and he would have had to have loaded a round into the chamber prior to the incident because there is no way he could have done so under the circumstances he describes and so he must have been looking to shoot somebody."
As is typical, Savage is just talking out his rear end. Zimmerman was not carrying a musket, you wouldn't leave the house with it and not have it loaded.

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Years ago I hear Savage read The White Mans Burden on his show. Then again, he always struck me as one of those playing the part of the conservative because they like money and being on the radio. So who knows.
Michael Savage sounds just like my mom's side of the family: They're also crazy right-wing nuts who are Jewish so when I say "just like" I mean "Verbatim I've heard my uncle/grandfather say the exact thing."

Does anyone know if he has a radio show in Illinois? I haven't been able to find him since I moved from California.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I'm pretty sure Savage is on AM560 if you're in the Chicago market. Or check 1530, but that one's kind of low power and its harder to get away from the city.

Arms_Akimbo fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 2, 2013

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Devour posted:

FYGM at it's finest.

Put everything together.

He likes living near the coast and owning a boat. He likes living in cosmopolitan places, were he can eat at a ton of different restaurants and hobnob with other cultured people.

His radio show let him do that with a couple hours a day in his home, bitching about the news headlines, kids these days, and being a food critic. He can stamp out a few books on the side to add to this. And he can even get people to donate money to him to make sure he can sell more books in the UK, and most likely just to funnel more money into his boat.

An alternate reality Michael Weiner that stayed in the herbal remedy business would not likely be well enough off to work a couple hours a day and still make a decent living by bay area standards. Unless he did what his son did, and use the herbal remedy angle to make energy drinks (Rockstar).

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Michael Savage's kid created Rockstar energy drink?

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Michael Savage's kid created Rockstar energy drink?

Yes, and until recently Savage's wife was the CFO. They did get a bad wrap and a bit of a boycott from the LGBT community for poo poo Savage said and have been trying to distance themselves from it.

But if you buy Rockstar drinks, you are in a roundabout way support Michael Savage. I'm sure they still own some stock or otherwise get something out of it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Our favorite "comedian" Steven Crowder had his video removed from facebook. The video is called

"Retarded" Racist Zimmerman Trial Witness!!

Here is quote from it

quote:

“Now initially that [Jeantel using the word 'retarded'] could seem offensive … but I understand in this instance its different, because, according to the records, the star witness, Rachel, as you’ve seen, would appear to be a special needs person — and so she can use the word,” Crowder joked. “She can say that something is retarded. See, you and I can’t use the word. But only people with special needs can call people retarded.”

This is in regards to a witness at the Zimmerman trial who used the word retarded in her statement. Crowder was shocked to find that his "comedy" did not go over so well. This is the guy who talked about rape and Ashley Judd in the same sentence.

Facebook's response to Crowder

quote:

“While your post may not have been intended as hateful, or discriminatory, the content itself contained speech that is hateful,” the response read, in part. “The guidance I have been given by the policy team states that you could re-post this content as long as you also post a message condemning or clarifying the actual hate speech.”

The youtube comments read like a page off Stormfront

quote:

maybe those "niggers" need to man the gently caress up and loving deal with it. Quit acting like victims and such and make something of themselves.

Victims don't have power, so when you act like a victim you take your own power away. Essentially, oppressing yourself.

omg I love this! This totally exposes the black community as totally blind to what real racism is. The views on racism will soon be corrected after this trial, such that blacks will have far less credibility (and rightly so) on what should be considered racist or not.

I really cannot think of a time, except way back in the 80's that I have heard someone use the "n" word in a racist manner. Mostly I just hear the affectionate version "nigga".
I really think all this racist poo poo has been blown way out of proportion the past couple of years, we are living in way different times than the way things were 25 years ago. People from all ethnic backgrounds need to grow a backbone and stop playing the race card.

Isn't Obama a half creepy rear end cracker too, and his daughters 1/4 creepy rear end crackers? That's exactly how he should be referred to from now on -- no more Mr. President -- from now on it's Creepy rear end Cracker Obama. Anyone who has a problem with that is just racist.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

Morton Downey Jr, the original shock jock. I was going to say "right-wing shock jock", but that goes without saying.

Howard Stern is a shock jock, or at least considered one, isn't he? I heard him say he isn't a homophobe today (my boss likes him), so maybe right-wing isn't as implied.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Howard Stern is a shock jock, or at least considered one, isn't he? I heard him say he isn't a homophobe today (my boss likes him), so maybe right-wing isn't as implied.

Pre-Janet Jackson's nipple most shock jocks were pretty right wing, mostly in a Hippy punching/fag jokes/women back in the kitchen sort of way, especially while Democrats were the party trying to grandstand off the music industry. This is where guys like Beck, or Todd Schnitt came from. Stern himself spent the better part of 20 years doing homocop bits, and even campaigned for governor of New York for like 2 weeks talking up the death penalty.

In the aftermath of the wardrobe malfunction the FCC let it be known (Behind, and occasionally in front of closed doors) that morning radio shows were to be the sacrificial lambs offered up to the culture warriors and the crackdown came pretty hard. They found a soft target in radio consolidators that needed government ok for more ownership deals and they were more than willing do the dirty work for them. The milder shows like Bob and Tom just threw away some of their dick joke catalog and kept on going, Stern abandoned ship for another medium that didn't involve the FCC, and a small number of guys like Mancow Muller decided to stick it out and even try their hands at right wing talk radio gravy train. Most of these guys weren't die hard believers in the GOP or anything, but they were just following their audience for the most part. Post John Ashcroft most were smart enough to know which side would let them live.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Also if you're going for an easy laugh that will appeal to lots of people, making GBS threads on gender, sexual, and racial minorities is pretty popular, and only recently has it become increasingly risky from a public backlash perspective. I used to hear horrible things on Bob and Tom growing up in Indiana.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Vertical Lime posted:

Yeah, Sinclair is notorious for forcing it's stations to run right-wing propaganda.

I wonder if that that had anything to do with their dropping the TheCoolTV subchannel on their digital stations about a year ago without much explanation. It was a great MTV replacement that was not only free, but played a great assortment of videos of every genre.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So I decided to listen to a local show that I almost never listen to because it talks about inane local stuff like tourism numbers and hotel projects and poo poo typically but today was an open line any topic day and apparently the guys listening to the national shows all day were still listening because I heard purestrain freep crazy.

Caller 1: So some people are saying that gay or lesbian or bisexual or transgender or whatever they call themselves are that way because they are born that way, and now scientists are able to like test genes in the womb and so my question is isn't that going to lead to liberals aborting their babies when they find out they have the gay gene?
Host: Absolutely. I mean that's already happening. People are already aborting based on genes. A lot of people want a boy and when they find out it's a girl they abort. It's happening all over, trust me.

:stare:

Because liberals would be the ones aborting gay babies because they're really unaccepting of homosexuality. I guess their love of gay isn't as strong as their love of aborting genetically imperfect non master race fetuses.

Caller 2: One thing that I've not heard anyone ask regarding the Trayvon Martin case is what was he even doing there in the first place?
Host: I believe he was returning to a family member who lived in that neighborhood's home.
Caller 2: Oh. Well, that's news to me. Still, they can't prove that he was unjustified in killing him beyond a reasonable doubt because nobody was there so they can't really find him guilty.
Host: We will see. I don't even think George Zimmerman is even guilty of spitting on the ground. He just strikes me as a good guy. He was out there volunteering to do neighborhood watch when nobody else would. He even did it in the rain sometimes.

:catstare:

Yes, I called people who murder children in cold blood good guys all the time as well.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
I like how they assume that liberals secretly hate LBGT people and will abort their LBGT fetuses.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I don't know if they think they secretly hate gay people, they're just projecting their belief that homosexuality is an imperfection onto the false idea that liberals are okay with aborting genetically imperfect babies. It's like they're incapable of seeing multiple ideas outside of their own worldview at the same time. I really don't get how he starts with liberals defending homosexuality as equal because it's genetic to liberals aborting gay babies because they think gay people are inferior in the same thought.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

platedlizard posted:

I like how they assume that liberals secretly hate LBGT people and will abort their LBGT fetuses.

You mean they hate america and love
?

Can't post that enough.

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008
Conservatives on the other hand don't have to worry about aborting their gay babies because they can just send them to a camp to get brainwashed when they reach adolescence.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
Looks like Megyn Kelly will be moving to Primetime on Fox News once she spits out the baby currently in her uterus.

quote:

Fox News' Megyn Kelly is moving to primetime, the network announced Tuesday.

Kelly will move to her new post after she returns from maternity leave.

"Megyn is an exceptional talent who has successfully filled and surpassed each role we have given her at the network," Fox News CEO Roger Ailes said in a statement. "Her ability to command the screen, delve into the facts and lead a debate is what makes her one of the most sought-after anchors in the business."

Kelly currently hosts "America Live," which airs from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Despite her afternoon slot, she has been one of the most prominent and buzzed-about faces on the network for years, and has been given high-profile assignments (she co-anchored the channel's election coverage, for instance).

Her elevation also comes amidst concerns that Fox News' primetime lineup has become a bit stagnant after so many years with the same anchors in place.

However, it is not yet clear where Kelly will land on the network's schedule. Fox News also announced on Tuesday that it has signed long-term deals with Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity and Greta Van Susteren, who host from 8 until 11 PM, as well as with Bret Baier and Shep Smith, who host the 6 PM and 7 PM hours.

I'm betting on that she is going to replace Greta Van Susteran, because O'Reilly & Hannity are sure a gently caress not going anywhere. I know it's not in this particular article, but Greta confirmed that she had conversations with Jeff Zucker (current President of CNN) about rejoining CNN.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I thought Kelly was supposed to be one of their "news" people and not one of their "punditry" people, IE someone who is supposed to pretend to be fair and balanced. Is she getting a pundit show to go with her pundit time-slot?

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

HootTheOwl posted:

I thought Kelly was supposed to be one of their "news" people and not one of their "punditry" people, IE someone who is supposed to pretend to be fair and balanced. Is she getting a pundit show to go with her pundit time-slot?
I know, every one of the "news" people on :foxnews: has a passive aggressive attitude towards Democrats. If she does get a Primtime show, it will probably be more of a punditry one, because we know it's all about ratings at Fox. It will probably be like Greta's, half "news", half "opinion". It might be a promotion given to her after that Erick Erickson poo poo went down between them.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Kelly has been first in line to replace Greta for years.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

HootTheOwl posted:

https://twitter.com/HeatherChilders/status/187227025642237952

News indeed.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Hahahahaha. Hard-hitting journalism.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Devour posted:

Looks like Megyn Kelly will be moving to Primetime on Fox News once she spits out the baby currently in her uterus.

I'm betting on that she is going to replace Greta Van Susteran, because O'Reilly & Hannity are sure a gently caress not going anywhere. I know it's not in this particular article, but Greta confirmed that she had conversations with Jeff Zucker (current President of CNN) about rejoining CNN.

Greta just signed another deal with Fox, but there's no way in hell she'll move up once either O'Reilly or Hannity go away, and it will happen eventually. Aside from her brief time as Palin's pseudo press secretary has she ever had any ratings? This is most likely Kelly moving up to the prime time on deck circle.

Poor Sheppard Smith, if he could just reign in his desire to occasionally let his real feelings slip he would have been there in a heartbeat.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Just today a Canadian news program had a former FOX Producer on an interview talking about the culture within the studios there. I figured this would be relevant to the conversation here: http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/episode/2013/07/05/joe-muto-gawkers-fox-mole/

It sounds like the workplace culture there is really toxic between the staff and the management. That fact alone doesn't surprise me, but the low payroll somehow does. $12 USD per hour, hired as a media producer?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So I'm driving home from work today and I turn on the local Fox News station and expect to hear Glenn Beck. Instead it's Neal loving Boortz. I thought that monster was dead and buried, when did he get a new show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Greta just signed another deal with Fox, but there's no way in hell she'll move up once either O'Reilly or Hannity go away, and it will happen eventually. Aside from her brief time as Palin's pseudo press secretary has she ever had any ratings? This is most likely Kelly moving up to the prime time on deck circle.

Poor Sheppard Smith, if he could just reign in his desire to occasionally let his real feelings slip he would have been there in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately for him, he's the only bastard with a soul working for that organization.

He just sorta has tenure.