Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Chas McGill posted:

So I just reread a few of my favourite Murakami novels (Wild Sheep Chase, Dance Dance Dance, Kafka on the Shore) and I'm really in the mood for surreal stories set in the real world. I remember I asked this question a couple of years ago when I was getting into anime and I was recommended Tatami Galaxy, Mushishi, Kemonozume etc. Loved all those, so now I'm wondering if anything similar has come out since.

I had hoped that Apollon would have the same vibe, but despite the setting and focus on jazz it wasn't particularly Murakami-like. Still loved it, though.

Kaiba and Mind Game are both by the same director as Tatami Galaxy and Kemonozume, so you should definitely check those out if you haven't already. Kaibi is sci-fi but Mind Game sorta takes place in the real world. It gets a bit crazy but since you liked Kemonozume you'd probably like the sort of craziness Mind Game gets into.

Also it doesn't exactly fit your criteria, but since you brought up Murakami I gotta mention that Haibane Renmei is heavily influenced by Hardboiled Wonderland and The End of the World. I haven't seen the show (something I've been meaning to fix) but I do know of that Murakami connection.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well I just binged through the first OVA series of Patlabor and loved it. Is the actual TV series any good?

The TV series is decent. It has a few too many episodes about monsters/ghosts/etc (and really, the first OVA series had the best ghost story in all of Patlabor so those episodes can get frustrating at times) but it hits more than it misses. If you want to see more of that cast then it's worth watching.

But before that you should watch the first two Patlabor movies, they're better than the TV show by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

The TV series is decent. It has a few too many episodes about monsters/ghosts/etc (and really, the first OVA series had the best ghost story in all of Patlabor so those episodes can get frustrating at times) but it hits more than it misses. If you want to see more of that cast then it's worth watching.

But before that you should watch the first two Patlabor movies, they're better than the TV show by far.

Madman's got a double set with both of those movies, so I might grab that. I gotta say though, I just loved how any time someone asked "Any questions?" at the end of a briefing, all five of them would immediately start screaming :byodood: "ME! ME! MEMEMEME! PICK ME!"

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Srice posted:

Also it doesn't exactly fit your criteria, but since you brought up Murakami I gotta mention that Haibane Renmei is heavily influenced by Hardboiled Wonderland and The End of the World. I haven't seen the show (something I've been meaning to fix) but I do know of that Murakami connection.

I watched it ages ago when it first came out but didn't remember much about it, and then re-watched it when I got back into anime recently (and having read some Murakami).

It's kinda stunning to me how it captures the feeling of a Murakami book, I enjoyed it immensely.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
THe things I liked about Haibane Renmei were it'd music, art, and simplicity. It hints at a larger mystery and a larger story, but the show largely ignores that and focuses on the simple drama. Because of that it never felt surreal to me despite the many mysterious elements and unknowns.

That said, I wouldn't suggest it as per the criteria, buts still a great show. However, if you'willing to watch something darker and more psychological then watch Serial Experiments Lain. Its very abstractly surreal show set in a modern or near future setting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

THe things I liked about Haibane Renmei were it'd music, art, and simplicity. It hints at a larger mystery and a larger story, but the show largely ignores that and focuses on the simple drama. Because of that it never felt surreal to me despite the many mysterious elements and unknowns.

That said, I wouldn't suggest it as per the criteria, buts still a great show. However, if you'willing to watch something darker and more psychological then watch Serial Experiments Lain. Its very abstractly surreal show set in a modern or near future setting.

Does Serial Experiments Lain get any more... coherent (general plot-wise and pacing-wise) after the first episode? It was quite a weird slow one to watch, from memory. There's a bunch of anime fatpacks coming out at the end of the month in Australia, and as both HR and Serial Experiments Lain are amongst them I'm thinking of splurging and giving it another try. I'll definitely be getting Haibane Renmei though, as there hasn't been an Aussie DVD re-release since the original long-gone print run (:argh:), and I loved the few episodes I was able to see.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

I have tried to watch Lain a few times but it really never picked up for me. It has a following, but I never found what compelled people to keep watching. Maybe it does pick up :shrug:

Still watching Tatami Galaxy, and I love the character of Ozu. The voice acting on the show is great as well. The animation is top notch.

I think next I'll try out Chu-2, Revolutionary Girl Utena, and maybe Tamako Market.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Lain is defined by fantastic storytelling and directing. It isn't so much confusing as difficult to understand. It isn't convoluted or messy, but it does require a lot of thought and consideration to really understand. The reveals are very subtle or abstract, but presented in such a way that when you get it its more fascinating than if the points were simply relayed. And the pacing is very steady and well done.

If you are looking purely for entertainment value you will be disappointed. It is a very cerebral show.

e:vv Yea, "cryptic" isn't a good word for Lain. I think you're on the money about it being a puzzle. The individual pieces are revealed in subtle and abstract ways so it isn't always immediately obvious that the information is useful.

Personally, I still don't 100% understand it, but I did understand everything you need to. What threw me off at the ending is that if you think about it, it actually ended the same way as Madoka Magica. I found it kind of hilarious, but I didn't think that was a bad thing for either show.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 2, 2013

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Lain is easily one of the slowest and most grueling anime experiences there is, but it is also very rewarding to follow and try to decipher. Lain isn't actually as cryptic as people make it out to be, every few episodes will have a giant infodump that more or less explains what the last few episodes were about, in not so concise terms. Lain is very much a puzzle. It only makes sense if you've managed to find all the pieces and put them together at the end.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks for the recommendations. I have watched a few episodes of Haibane Renmei, but I don't think I ever had time to pass the threshold of falling in love with it. Seems like a show that deserves a sustained watch in order to appreciate its subtleties.

Serial Experiments Lain is one that I already wanted to watch so I'll definitely check that out.

Srice posted:

Kaiba and Mind Game are both by the same director as Tatami Galaxy and Kemonozume, so you should definitely check those out if you haven't already. Kaibi is sci-fi but Mind Game sorta takes place in the real world. It gets a bit crazy but since you liked Kemonozume you'd probably like the sort of craziness Mind Game gets into.
Yeah, I should've mentioned I'd watched and enjoyed Mind Game as well. Also looking forward to Kick Heart, though I imagine it isn't exactly what I'm looking for at the moment.

RebBrownies posted:

Still watching Tatami Galaxy, and I love the character of Ozu. The voice acting on the show is great as well. The animation is top notch.
Glad you like it. Ozu is a lovely character and he has the best face. Tatami Galaxy is one of the few anime I've watched with my finger hovering over the pause button so I can stop the action and absorb some of the more complicated scenes properly - it's so rich in terms of writing and visual cleverness.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

I'm so happy that I am older and able to appreciate Tatami Galaxy for the wild characters and message it has. If I had seen it when I was a shallow weeaboo I would probably hate all of the unusual characters and bitch about how there were no "bishies".
I just finished it and I really really really enjoyed it. It was so unusual and interesting. It was a real pleasure to watch, and the creative risks they took really paid off.

How is Attack on Titan? The thread got derailed a bit about the quality of animation, but it looks pretty good to me (albeit it is not the type of series I traditionally watch).

Also can someone clear up the difference between seinen and josei to me? I thought josei is where I would go looking for romance, but I was told seinen also has romance in it and not just roided out guys punching each other in the gut for hours on end.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

RebBrownies posted:

How is Attack on Titan? The thread got derailed a bit about the quality of animation, but it looks pretty good to me (albeit it is not the type of series I traditionally watch).

Also can someone clear up the difference between seinen and josei to me? I thought josei is where I would go looking for romance, but I was told seinen also has romance in it and not just roided out guys punching each other in the gut for hours on end.

It's pacing is kind of weird because of adaptation foibles, and there's some noticeable cost cutting measures, but when it's good it's really good.

Also Seinen is targeted at older men, Josei at older women. Nothing more.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

RebBrownies posted:

All I have to say about AoT, for fear of ranting and getting pissy again, is this: :negative:

e:

jonjonaug posted:

I'd recommend waiting for the BD release before watching it though.

I'd say don't even bother with it until the BD release unless you really want to be a part of the hype.

Get the soundtrack though. There are quite a few fantastic tracks on there, and not one of them is particularly bad.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 3, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

RebBrownies posted:

When the animation isn't obvious placeholders or stillframes, its good. I'd recommend waiting for the BD release before watching it though.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

All I have to say about AoT, for fear of ranting and getting pissy again, is this: :negative:

e:

I'd say don't even bother with it until the BD release unless you really want to be a part of the hype.

Get the soundtrack though. There are quite a few fantastic tracks on there, and not one of them is particularly bad.

Don't listen to this dude, watch people die and poo poo get stomped. poo poo gets crazy; maybe watch bits of it in short bursts and wait on it until another bunch of episodes are out.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Viggynash is overtly negative but if you weren't watching since the beginning there is no reason not to wait till the bluray release since the animation has a lot of obvious space for improvement.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
SNAFU just wrapped up over on CR and I was disappointed to discover episode 13 was just an unrelated side story and now I've been itching to find something similar. I enjoyed how the protagonist was a sort of broken person who achieved his goals with methods that he considered 'low' and constantly monologues about how terrible everything is to humorous effect. It's just I spent all week expecting more story out of that show and find there is no more to be had - so I'm hoping that there's something similar out there. The only show I can think of that I've already seen that might be kind of on the same wavelength is Welcome to the NHK.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Is there anything like Shin Mazinger Z or Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still? It's kind of hard for me to put into words why I like them, but in general I would say that they have the substance to match the style. It feels like Imagawa's directing style incorporates elements of cinematography, and he demonstrates it by frequently using cuts and animating scenes as if they were shown in different angles and perspectives, giving a sensation of size and scale. There's also something really theatrical about the monologues and interactions between the characters. It feels really dramatic, and characters are on the same wavelength, communicating to each other from different scenes; they really get into it. Occasionally characters sort of steal the camera for themselves and vent their burden to the audience. I love scenes like Baron Ashura's breakdowns, especially the one where Ashura struggles to hold it's face together as it tries to determine it's purpose and identity. Sometimes themes and motivations are laid bare, but there really is an impressive balance of showing and telling that I have not seen in other shows or movies. I'm a sucker for the themes in these shows too. They deal with legacy and realizing the dreams of their parents. They are also about the responsibility of power and finding new strength in this realization. Mazinger Z was every bit a devil as it was a god, and Giant Robo was restrained by childish notions of invincibility and the possibility of a nuclear disaster. The action is also really excellent and isn't exclusive to the giant robots. The Magnificient Ten, the Experts of Justice, and the Kurogane Five all had spectacular powers and were always a blast to watch whenever they were on screen. The action also doesn't feel... meaningless. Imagawa really builds up to the action, carefully orchestrating scenes until it is inevitable. He releases the floodgates along with a constant stream of action. It feels like the longest climax to the story, and it's so good.

So, I'm reluctant to try out any old Super Robot show since I feel I've been spoiled here, but I'm open to suggestions. Also, are there other shows or directors that take noticeable cues from cinematography or work with similar themes to Imagawa even if they are in a different genre? And I've been eyeing Tetsujin-28. The most recent remake. What are some opinions on that?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Imagawa's Tetsujin-28 remake doesn't have the bombastic flair that Giant Robo and Shin Mazinger had, but it's still a good watch regardless. And there are a few neat surprises since some of the characters in Giant Robo were taken from Tetsujin-28, and it's rather interesting to see them in different roles (Kenji Murasame plays a fairly major role in Tetsujin-28, to name one. This isn't a spoiler since he's in the OP). The show is a bit different from Imagawa's usual stuff (The middle of the show is a bunch of standalone Twilight Zone-esque mysteries) but it does touch on some themes that Imagawa is fond of.

Also since you mentioned Imagawa but didn't mention G Gundam, you should watch that if you haven't seen it!

Despite looking I still haven't really found anything that quite matches Imagawa's style, so I can't really help you with that. I know he's heavily influenced by Wuxia stories, but I know almost nothing about that sort of stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Iserlohn posted:

Is there anything like Shin Mazinger Z or Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still? It's kind of hard for me to put into words why I like them, but in general I would say that they have the substance to match the style. It feels like Imagawa's directing style incorporates elements of cinematography, and he demonstrates it by frequently using cuts and animating scenes as if they were shown in different angles and perspectives, giving a sensation of size and scale. There's also something really theatrical about the monologues and interactions between the characters. It feels really dramatic, and characters are on the same wavelength, communicating to each other from different scenes; they really get into it. Occasionally characters sort of steal the camera for themselves and vent their burden to the audience. I love scenes like Baron Ashura's breakdowns, especially the one where Ashura struggles to hold it's face together as it tries to determine it's purpose and identity. Sometimes themes and motivations are laid bare, but there really is an impressive balance of showing and telling that I have not seen in other shows or movies. I'm a sucker for the themes in these shows too. They deal with legacy and realizing the dreams of their parents. They are also about the responsibility of power and finding new strength in this realization. Mazinger Z was every bit a devil as it was a god, and Giant Robo was restrained by childish notions of invincibility and the possibility of a nuclear disaster. The action is also really excellent and isn't exclusive to the giant robots. The Magnificient Ten, the Experts of Justice, and the Kurogane Five all had spectacular powers and were always a blast to watch whenever they were on screen. The action also doesn't feel... meaningless. Imagawa really builds up to the action, carefully orchestrating scenes until it is inevitable. He releases the floodgates along with a constant stream of action. It feels like the longest climax to the story, and it's so good.

So, I'm reluctant to try out any old Super Robot show since I feel I've been spoiled here, but I'm open to suggestions. Also, are there other shows or directors that take noticeable cues from cinematography or work with similar themes to Imagawa even if they are in a different genre? And I've been eyeing Tetsujin-28. The most recent remake. What are some opinions on that?

You could try Getter Robo Armageddon, but it kind of goes down hill after the Imagawa directed episodes.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

Srice posted:

G Gundam

Yeah, I rewatched G Gundam a year or two ago along with Gundam Wing for nostalgia's sake. In some ways it was a lot better than I remember and in other ways worse than I remember. I really liked how thematically close it was to Tomino's Gundam, but deconstructing Gundam into a Super Robot show kinda hurt it early on as it was a bit too formulaic. That, and the animation was a little weak at times. Imagawa's great about recycling clips, but stretching it for 50 episodes made it really noticeable. The second half is really great though, and Imagawa's usual hallmarks are evident. It was also a helluva lot more fun to watch than Gundam Wing :barf:

Sakurazuka posted:

You could try Getter Robo Armageddon, but it kind of goes down hill after the Imagawa directed episodes.

No kidding. I saw it three years ago, and everything after the timeskip is a haze to me until Black Getter. I-I think I remember anime Ron Jeremy piloting a robot jet :psyduck:

I'll give Tetsujin-28 a go after the weekend (That OP is really good). Maybe I'll watch it alongside Big O, as I heard a lot the staff who worked on Giant Robo also worked on it. Hell, I might rewatch some of G Gundam too for a Multicultural Mecha Marathon leading up to Pacific Rim's premiere!

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Iserlohn posted:

I'll give Tetsujin-28 a go after the weekend (That OP is really good). Maybe I'll watch it alongside Big O, as I heard a lot the staff who worked on Giant Robo also worked on it. Hell, I might rewatch some of G Gundam too for a Multicultural Mecha Marathon leading up to Pacific Rim's premiere!

This is a good idea. Cleanse the palate with some New Getter Robo if you haven't seen it already; it's not quite Imagawa-style in scope and style, but it certainly has the bombast. It keeps more coherent than Armageddon, too.

If you want some old school super robot action, GoShogun isn't a bad choice. It's very much the toy commercial super robot show, but it is very smart about working inside and around that framework. The pilots have a nice camaraderie as well.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Sinking Ship posted:

SNAFU just wrapped up over on CR and I was disappointed to discover episode 13 was just an unrelated side story and now I've been itching to find something similar. I enjoyed how the protagonist was a sort of broken person who achieved his goals with methods that he considered 'low' and constantly monologues about how terrible everything is to humorous effect. It's just I spent all week expecting more story out of that show and find there is no more to be had - so I'm hoping that there's something similar out there. The only show I can think of that I've already seen that might be kind of on the same wavelength is Welcome to the NHK.

In my quest to find something similar I ended up watching a bit of shoujo anime, namely My little monster and Say 'I love you' because they were both on CR and I'm lazy at best. Anyway I found Say 'I love you' at least to have a lead character who was extremely similar (initially) to Hachiman (ie they were both morose and anti-social without seeing it as a character defect) then it went off to be about love and growth or something (haven't finished it yet to be completely honest) - so it's kinda what I was looking for.

I'm a man and as such I've never bothered watching anything that would fall under the shoujo umbrella but because I'm sort of burned out on other types of anime at the moment I was hoping that maybe I could be pointed toward anything that's considered to be high quality in the genre because trying to 3 episode test everything that the internet has tagged as shoujo would take forever. I don't really have anything super specific I'm looking for - though modern ('06 and up?) animation is a plus for me - I really don't feel I know enough to try to narrow down my search, those 2 shows I mentioned are literally the only shoujo I've ever seen. I guess I'm just hoping there are some shoujo shows that meet with near universal goon approval ala Legend of Galactic Heros because goons generally don't steer me wrong.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Sinking Ship posted:

I'm a man and as such I've never bothered watching anything that would fall under the shoujo umbrella but because I'm sort of burned out on other types of anime at the moment I was hoping that maybe I could be pointed toward anything that's considered to be high quality in the genre because trying to 3 episode test everything that the internet has tagged as shoujo would take forever. I don't really have anything super specific I'm looking for - though modern ('06 and up?) animation is a plus for me - I really don't feel I know enough to try to narrow down my search, those 2 shows I mentioned are literally the only shoujo I've ever seen. I guess I'm just hoping there are some shoujo shows that meet with near universal goon approval ala Legend of Galactic Heros because goons generally don't steer me wrong.

Rose of Versailles, Princess Tutu, and Revolutionary Girl Utena are the three shows for girls that are the most popular around these parts, I think. They're all good shows that are worth checking out.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Sinking Ship posted:

I'm a man and as such I've never bothered watching anything that would fall under the shoujo umbrella but because I'm sort of burned out on other types of anime at the moment I was hoping that maybe I could be pointed toward anything that's considered to be high quality in the genre

Revolutionary Girl Utena. Again. Everyone in this this thread should just watch Utena.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Sinking Ship posted:

In my quest to find something similar I ended up watching a bit of shoujo anime, namely My little monster and Say 'I love you' because they were both on CR and I'm lazy at best. Anyway I found Say 'I love you' at least to have a lead character who was extremely similar (initially) to Hachiman (ie they were both morose and anti-social without seeing it as a character defect) then it went off to be about love and growth or something (haven't finished it yet to be completely honest) - so it's kinda what I was looking for.

I think Chihayafuru counts.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chihayafuru is more of a sports story than a romance one, but it's a sports story with josei characters which is really the best of both worlds.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Watch Kimi no Todoke, also on Crunchyroll. I don't think either is streaming anywhere, but you would probably also enjoy LoveCom and Paradise Kiss.

And yeah, while it's inclusively romance rather than exclusively, watch Chihayafuru because it is the best, CR has that too.

Then if you feel like ranting and/or raving about any of the shows, or just want more recommendations head over to the Misc. Shoujo and Romance thread.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Is Saint Seiya Omega any good? I briefly read a Saint Seiya manga (lost canvas?) and thought some of the art was really pretty at times, but I have no idea how it is in anime form.

Otherwise, I need some new shows that are either comedy or action

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I watched some of it and it felt Shounen-y as heck. The guy in charge of animation also worked on Casshern Sin's animation though. The action wasn't nearly as slick as Casshern Sins but that's to be expected since Saint Seiya Omega is quite long.

If you're in a shounen mood it might be worth a shot.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Sinking Ship posted:

Paradise Kiss is a must and it's what got me into Shoujo to begin with, but if you like the anime at all, PLEASE pick up Vertical's release of the manga because the manga is better and Vertical's release is amazing.

If you get into that, I'd recommend looking into NANA as well with the warning that it doesn't end because of author issues (anime/manga are both amazing though). I'm probably guessing that you probably didn't watch too much Drama type anime to begin with? Because if that's the case I'd recommend watching Honey and Clover, Bunny Drop(anime only), and perhaps Sweet Blue Flowers as well.

If you haven't and like music, I'd recommend watching Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad as it's amazing, but I'm a weirdo who thinks the dub was amazing and you should watch it dubbed.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

If you haven't and like music, I'd recommend watching Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad as it's amazing, but I'm a weirdo who thinks the dub was amazing and you should watch it dubbed.

I loving loved the dub of Beck. Sure it takes a few episodes before people settle into their roles (Koyuki's va in the first few episodes is just atrocious) but being a music show Beck has a lot of really powerful scenes while music is happening. I don't think those scenes, and by extension the whole anime, would've had nearly the impact they did if I was being distracted by Engrish lyrics. I would actually kill for an english version OST, but as near as I can tell that never happened.

In my group of friends I am pretty sure that I was the only one who liked Beck better dubbed, but I am also the only one putting Beck in my top five anime, so yeah.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So I like Death Note. On the other hand other psychological mystery manga seem to be divided into fantastic, weird shounen and overly grimdark seinen. Any ideas?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Anatharon posted:

So I like Death Note. On the other hand other psychological mystery manga seem to be divided into fantastic, weird shounen and overly grimdark seinen. Any ideas?

Try Liar Game.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Anatharon posted:

Kaiji is also a good option together with Liar Game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Unrelated to my previous inquiry, I'm a fan of Danganronpa and finally got around to reading Battle Royale, which was fairly good. Basically "The most dangerous game" scenario trikes me as disinteresting unless done well, but it seems like something there'd be an at least decent manga about. Anyone know of one?

Silver2195 posted:

Try Liar Game.

Thanks for the suggestion. So far this is really good.

Allarion posted:

Kaiji is also a good option together with Liar Game.

I'll check that out sometime, too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'd recommend the anime of Kaiji over the manga, if only because the narrator and voice acting/music in general really adds a lot to the experience.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Anatharon posted:

Unrelated to my previous inquiry, I'm a fan of Danganronpa and finally got around to reading Battle Royale, which was fairly good. Basically "The most dangerous game" scenario trikes me as disinteresting unless done well, but it seems like something there'd be an at least decent manga about. Anyone know of one?

It's an incredibly cheesy and exploitative genre, but conceding that, Mirai Nikki does exploitative and cheesy better than anything else.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's an incredibly cheesy and exploitative genre, but conceding that, Mirai Nikki does exploitative and cheesy better than anything else.

We all have our spots of poor taste.

I mean hey we're in ADTRW. :haw:

edit: Apparently the ending sucks though.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'd recommend the anime of Kaiji over the manga, if only because the narrator and voice acting/music in general really adds a lot to the experience.

Having started watching it, I'd agree. Does it end early or do anything really different then the manga though?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 14, 2013

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Anatharon posted:

Paranoia Agent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Anatharon posted:

Having started watching it, I'd agree. Does it end early or do anything really different then the manga though?

Nah it's a pretty solid adaptation, however the two seasons only cover the first two "series" of kaiji, so you'd have to go to the manga for part 3 and 4 since I don't think they're going to animate it anytime in the near future.
Be prepared though because we are over a year behind translation wise and a new chapter only comes out like every two weeks if that.

It's manga only but I'd also recommend Gambling Emperor Zero, it's by the same guy and is basically Kaiji jr. The stakes are usually as high but it is printed in a shonen mag so it's a bit lighter on the despair. Still worth reading though.

• Locked thread