Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
My local video store had its final day of business yesterday, so here's a few covers I remember finding interesting/worrying back in the early days.

How has Dan Aykroyd lived that one down?

Never did work up the courage to rent this one.

As a kid, I always assumed Metallica did the soundtrack to this one.

For some reason, this one was positioned so that you'd always see it as you exited the horror section.

And you couldn't go through the horror section without seeing the holographic cover of this one shifting to follow you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

That Metallica poster is amazing and I want one.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Metallica movie takes place in an alternate timeline where Lars Ulrich merged with Napster in 1999 to take over the world.

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Have you ever been to Manhattan?
I've only been to movie Manhattan, but I thought everyone associated Manhattan with endless honking horns.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

tliil posted:

I've only been to movie Manhattan, but I thought everyone associated Manhattan with endless honking horns.

:thejoke:

If there was a fine for honking (or at least one that was enforced) no one would be able to afford gasoline to drive.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pacific Rim is doing character posters for the robots and monsters, it seems. The latest have battle stats.

Also, new Riddick poster.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 2, 2013

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Where's Riddick's battle stats?

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

Darthemed posted:

For some reason, this one was positioned so that you'd always see it as you exited the horror section.

Ah yes, Googlechromia Iridum

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I really like Frankenstein Unbound.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I really like Frankenstein Unbound.

It's the one where they time travel right?

Also, Pacific Rim really isn't doing itself any favors by including loving battle stats on its posters.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PriorMarcus posted:

It's the one where they time travel right?

Yeah, John Hurt and Raul Julia. What a cast!

PriorMarcus posted:

Also, Pacific Rim really isn't doing itself any favors by including loving battle stats on its posters.

The last thing that got me about it was that dude on twitter talking about collecting pre-pubescent boys to go see it then saying the movie was like getting a blowjob, which is just like the most demented fanboy poo poo you can think of outside of marrying Sonic the Hedgehog.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 2, 2013

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

PriorMarcus posted:

This. It's all awesome and fun to the people online, but if the basic robots vs kaiju posters don't get any hype going in the mainstream, these won't either. I know they are saying they are now promoting it to general audiences, but releasing loads of clips of the fights/monsters/robots or plastering skyscrapers with huge robot-banners aren't going to make any difference.

If you ask me, they should have released the latest Idris Elba-speech trailer first. Or a trailer/teaser that played up the terror of the huge monsters like a disaster film and how people were powerless against them. Then, closer to the release a trailer where they show the solution against the monsters with some epic fight shots and all that.
They could have marketed it like a Godzilla-like disaster film, even if it's not, or if the tone isn't that. They probably didn't since they have the real thing coming out next year.

I feel people don't react much to the trailers and posters (these are the ones I see reactions to every day) because the trailers kind of expect you to be in on the "joke" from the get-go. Of course there isn't any joke per se, but people are mostly confused and/or indifferent since the trailers' tone is mostly "robots vs monsters, this is ridiculous and "awesome", right?".
They feel like it's some nerds' inside joke that they don't want to be a part of. Or maybe I am reading into it too much, I don't know.
That's how I feel.

Of course to me, all of the stuff I've seen looks nice and entertaining. Even if I don't care about the mecha-kaiju-animeculture or whatever, it's nice to see a big budget production with a somewhat original concept.
I've learned to watch (and it's kind of my job) trailers and marketing stuff with a regular consumer's point of view. It's easy to see why people worry about the box-office prospects.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I'm at the cinema now in Ireland and they have those terrible posters for The Heat up only they seem to have modified it in the UK to take all color out of the girls faces and they are pale white, it just looks odd, they look like zombies.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Kush posted:

This. It's all awesome and fun to the people online, but if the basic robots vs kaiju posters don't get any hype going in the mainstream, these won't either.

I agree with everything you just said. I don't care about anime/robots either but the film looks awesome, however that's only because I've looked beyond the advertising and actually understand what its trying to do, etc. To a member of the general public your exactly right that it looks like an inside joke, made just for nerds.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I'm seeing Pacific Rim because even from the trailers it looks like a labor of love movie from a dude who likes making weird creatures, plus the promise of being able to easily follow the action of the fights easier than Transformers' "100 million parts moving at once" style.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
The stat posters are posted to FB only. They aren't printed out. They are just for the fans, not like it takes much to make them.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Skwirl posted:

Have you ever been to Manhattan?

Back in 2006 when I was living there, there were signs up everywhere like this:

Googling it now, apparently they gave up on that back in January.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Kush posted:

Pacific Rim :words:

Well, in terms of people being in on the "joke," I'm getting an obnoxious number of people around me talking about (in various value judgments) how it's a "ripoff of Evangelion," as if either they're extremely clever for noticing the comparison or del Toro is trying to pull a fast one on people and hope they don't notice. I mean, shouldn't it be obvious that it's an homage to that kind of stuff, and so it's deliberate? These aren't even the general consumers you're talking about, these are the huge nerds Pacific Rim is marketing to - they know what it reminds them of. It just feels like another example of nerds hating something as soon as they recognize its influences.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And the wiener is...

you, for watching this movie.

I had higher hopes for a movie starring Morgan Fairchild with "Wiener" in the title.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Alicia Witt :(

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Vagabundo posted:

Pacific Rim is doing character posters for the robots and monsters, it seems. The latest have battle stats.

Gipsy... out of Danger?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Alicia Witt, you could've been something. What happened

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

flashy_mcflash posted:

Alicia Witt, you could've been something. What happened

It looks like she's been turned into a small dog along with all of her co-stars.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

PriorMarcus posted:

I think that more than that, the fact that the robot names are so fricking weird that's the problem.

Early in the PR rim thread I said that, and the general response I got was "because animé*. Great for advertising your film to nerds, pretty damned stupid for advertising to anyone else :ughh:

* Today I learned that anime with the little apostrophe is in my phone's predictive text.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Liberty Prime was a much better name.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
I don't think the robot names are weird at all, to me "Gypsy Danger" is no less weird than "Optimus Prime". Although this could be a side-effect of hearing it so much it became normal

EDIT: Looking back at your posts about the names in the main PR thread, did you really think RESE (Rock 'em Sock 'em) was a good name? Seriously?

Peruser fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 2, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Robot names have always been retarded. I dare you to find even one robot with a name that isn't dumb as hell.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Cherno Alpha is a great loving robot name.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Robot names have always been retarded. I dare you to find even one robot with a name that isn't dumb as hell.

As above, Liberty Prime. Plus it spouts American propaganda messages louder than a jet engine.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
As time as passed, I've come to like almost all of the robot names in Pacific Rim - except the name of the main robot, Gipsy Danger, which still sounds weird and vaguely racist to me.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Rick Deckard.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The RESE one wasn't my best work. I was spitballing, but even the worst names on that list make more sense for an American Made Patriotic Defender Robot better than "Gypsy Danger".

Liberty Prime, Iron Giant, Data...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That name seemed fine to me, it reminds me of the nicknames given to American planes in World War II: Swamp Ghost, Lady Be Good, Witchcraft, Memphis Belle...

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

MisterBibs posted:

Just to clarify, you think these aren't dumb as hell? (Iron Giant excluded)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Slate Action posted:

As time as passed, I've come to like almost all of the robot names in Pacific Rim - except the name of the main robot, Gipsy Danger, which still sounds weird and vaguely racist to me.

Only when spelled when two Ys and is the title of a travel advisory from the Italian government. As a robot name I think it's suitably stupid.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Mr. Squishy posted:

Just to clarify, you think these aren't dumb as hell? (Iron Giant excluded)

For the setting that they exist in, not at all. They don't stand out as fantastical elements, compared to whatever other fantastical elements exist in the properties.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MisterBibs posted:

Iron Giant is good. Data and Liberty Prime suck.

Robo is the best robot name, proving Chrono Trigger is once again high art.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

MisterBibs posted:

For the setting that they exist in, not at all. They don't stand out as fantastical elements, compared to whatever other fantastical elements exist in the properties.

Same goes for Pacific Rim then. All of the PR Jaegers have NATO-codeword style two word names. Hell, the extended universe includes a Canadian Jaeger named Brawler Yukon.

*Edit* vvv Gipsy :mil101:

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^ And it would inherently make more sense (since the setting is a live-action film set in something approximating the real world, and not an anime cartoon) if it was Yukon Brawler.

Same goes for Pacific Rim then.

PR doesn't depict a world where America would ever call their themed defender robot "Gipsy Danger", though. At least Power Ranger's robots being called Zords made sense in-universe.

That name is inherently more improbable than the concept of giant, interdimentional monsters rising up.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 2, 2013