Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I'm not sure about this $180 resume service. That seems steep for what should be a one page document (at this point in your career), written to a template. Your CV is not the next great American novel. You do not need to overthink it.

From their website - "Resume to Interviews creates custom resumes, CV’s, cover letters and personal statements that stand out and get noticed among the mountains of resumes and CV’s" - I am no grammar expert, but I'm fairly certain that it is not acceptable to use an apostrophe to form a plural of an abbreviation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Rabelais D posted:

I'm not sure about this $180 resume service. That seems steep for what should be a one page document (at this point in your career), written to a template. Your CV is not the next great American novel. You do not need to overthink it.

From their website - "Resume to Interviews creates custom resumes, CV’s, cover letters and personal statements that stand out and get noticed among the mountains of resumes and CV’s" - I am no grammar expert, but I'm fairly certain that it is not acceptable to use an apostrophe to form a plural of an abbreviation.

They also left out an Oxford comma. As a writer who has worked in marketing their blurb is also uninspired in general.

Never you mind
Jun 5, 2010
Benny, you do not have enough of a track record for success to notice that blue and khaki works well for you.

Chexmix
Dec 10, 2006

Looks like you'll have to go handle this yourself.

Never you mind posted:

Benny, you do not have enough of a track record for success to notice that blue and khaki works well for you.

Yeah, b-b-but his mom said it looked good once, and even though she does crimes she's bound to be right about something, right?

Right? :ohdear:

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Sorry Benny I know you don't care that much about grammar in your posts but you did it twice on the last page and I have to say it.

You're trawling those sites for jobs. You're not trolling them. It's not even pronounced the same. Well, maybe you are trolling them, but you shouldn't be

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

InEscape posted:

Sorry Benny I know you don't care that much about grammar in your posts but you did it twice on the last page and I have to say it.

You're trawling those sites for jobs. You're not trolling them. It's not even pronounced the same. Well, maybe you are trolling them, but you shouldn't be
Are people so eager to pounce on Benny's english as a snipe at his english degree that they're not even willing to fact check themselves?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/trawl
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/troll

Troll can be a synonym from trawl and I'm pretty sure etymologically speaking it's where term "trolling" (with respect to saying stupid poo poo on the internet to bait people) comes from. It's a stupid point anyways because I've literally never had someone give me a hard time for making a simple math error just because I'm an engineer, it really just seems like it's part of that visceral "well you shoulda picked a different major" reactions to lib art degrees that we try to fling it in their face whenever they're not perfect.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

It's a stupid point anyways because I've literally never had someone give me a hard time for making a simple math error just because I'm an engineer, it really just seems like it's part of that visceral "well you shoulda picked a different major" reactions to lib art degrees that we try to fling it in their face whenever they're not perfect.

I can speak from experience then that there is a difference. In a writing or editing job you are the last line before something goes public and you humiliate the company.

To be fair I am much more fastidious about grammar and presentation at work then I am posting on forums but when you work a job you have to be able to write and edit pretty fast and do it accurately. You are also working much more independently then most engineers so there is rarely anyone there to catch your errors.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

Are people so eager to pounce on Benny's english as a snipe at his english degree that they're not even willing to fact check themselves?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/trawl
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/troll

Troll can be a synonym from trawl and I'm pretty sure etymologically speaking it's where term "trolling" (with respect to saying stupid poo poo on the internet to bait people) comes from. It's a stupid point anyways because I've literally never had someone give me a hard time for making a simple math error just because I'm an engineer, it really just seems like it's part of that visceral "well you shoulda picked a different major" reactions to lib art degrees that we try to fling it in their face whenever they're not perfect.

I normally agree, but he's applying for editing jobs. Trawling/trolling is fine, but there have been other times where it's clear he's writing phrases as he hears them instead of how they're actually written (I can't think of an example off the top of my head but think of 'would of' vs 'would have'.) These are absolutely the sort of mistakes that will get you disqualified, so I think they're pretty relevant to the discussion.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

ArbitraryC posted:

It's a stupid point anyways because I've literally never had someone give me a hard time for making a simple math error just because I'm an engineer

Benny's level of English incompetence goes far beyond making one simple mistake.

You doing Benny style work would be like having several obvious, common errors in every single work task you complete while bragging that you're a gifted engineer who also does engineering contracting on the side, and you don't understand why you haven't been promoted.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Chexmix posted:

Yeah, b-b-but his mom said it looked good once, and even though she does crimes she's bound to be right about something, right?

Right? :ohdear:

If you're not good enough to own at least two bespoke suits (preferably from Savile Row), you're not good enough for an interview :colbert:.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Pfirti86 posted:

If you're not good enough to own at least two bespoke suits (preferably from Savile Row), you're not good enough for an interview :colbert:.

Bespoke? You let someone else touch your suits? Peasant.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

in_cahoots posted:

I normally agree, but he's applying for editing jobs. Trawling/trolling is fine, but there have been other times where it's clear he's writing phrases as he hears them instead of how they're actually written (I can't think of an example off the top of my head but think of 'would of' vs 'would have'.) These are absolutely the sort of mistakes that will get you disqualified, so I think they're pretty relevant to the discussion.

'On accident'

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

I am OK posted:

'On accident'

That's a fairly common usage colloquially, but I agree it's not standard business English.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Rabelais D posted:

The service seems fine for people who have absolutely no interest in writing a resume or don't know how. Sure, we can say that it really doesn't matter and anyone can do it but some people just would prefer to pay someone else to do that kind of busywork.

What I don't understand is how Benny decides immediately after an interview, which he hasn't been rejected or hired from, that he needs to drop $180 on the service. Especially after he's having difficulties trying to hold down an $800/month job.

Benny, clarify this poo poo for us. Did you memorize the company's information or did you simply print it out and refer to it? Did you bring all your work in a nice, shiny binder or portfolio case with your work examples laid out nicely? I understand this isn't a graphic design job but if you show up with extra work you want to showcase it better look nice. There's nothing stopping you from putting in that extra little bit of effort to show them you take your work very seriously and care about it. If you show up with just a lovely little folder of misplaced papers it won't impress anyone.

When you're in an interview you need to learn what hooks in people's dialogue they want you to pick up on. They rarely ever ask a question expecting to get a yes or no. They want you to either ask them to expand on the subject or add your own 2 cents. For example, if they say "We contract a lot of people like you to do writing for Ikea catalogues" you should know enough about the company to be able to reply with something like "Yeah, I heard you also did a lot of catalogues for Sears. Do they have separate style guides or do you just use one for all your catalogue writing?"

If you've gotten the job interview your work or resume checks out and they're mostly looking for a good personal connection in my experience. If you don't seem like a person who would fit in their office all the resume writing in the world won't save you. I work in a creative field but everyone I've spoken to has said someone's personality is way more important than their skill since you're going to be stuck with them several hours a day. If you've got the interview it's probably not your resume that's the problem.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Benny buy a suit, wear a suit.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

Xenocides posted:

I can speak from experience then that there is a difference. In a writing or editing job you are the last line before something goes public and you humiliate the company.

To be fair I am much more fastidious about grammar and presentation at work then I am posting on forums but when you work a job you have to be able to write and edit pretty fast and do it accurately. You are also working much more independently then most engineers so there is rarely anyone there to catch your errors.

I hope you're better at work because you made the same "then/than" mistake twice here :smugdog:

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
I'm impressed that this thread has gone on for 50 pages.

Sadly, when I think of the average American citizen, I think of Benny. These are people who are easily swindled out of fees, who believe the hogwash the media tells them, and who lack a mindful self-turned eye.

Become aware of these things and decide you want to change them, and you can emerge a new person. However, it's apparently fine if you don't want to change. There will always be a new bank to borrow money from at a higher interest rate.

The drat trick to becoming successful while working for someone else is to get your foot in the door and start working your way up by being 110% awesome. That's it. Ask what needs to be done and do it. If you don't understand something, ASK.

Good luck.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I can vouch that Resumes2interviews does good work, and I'm someone who thought I'd put together a pretty solid resume myself already.

As for Benny, I'm no psychiatrist, but I don't get the impression he has a disorder or anything like that. He just strikes me as someone who's been sheltered his whole life and hasn't formed any kind of 'worldliness'. I think we take 'common sense' for granted, it really isn't something ingrained into our brains. I can easily see a young teenager coming to the same conclusions and weird decisions Benny does. He's about 10-15 years behind where most people his age are in terms of figuring out how the world works, and the only real way to solve that is to just get out there and face the world (also, seeking and heeding the advice of others, of course).

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Yad Rock posted:

I hope you're better at work because you made the same "then/than" mistake twice here :smugdog:

It seems to be a running problem I had today. I had to correct three instances of it when I proofed the training materials I wrote yesterday.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Xenocides posted:

It seems to be a running problem I had today. I had to correct three instances of it when I proofed the training materials I wrote yesterday.
I occasionally mess this up too. It just doesn't stick out nearly as much as screwing up their/there/they're.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
With all the spare time you must have, have you checked out the writing/editing/etc jobs on elance? At least it would be a little something.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

The service seems fine for people who have absolutely no interest in writing a resume or don't know how. Sure, we can say that it really doesn't matter and anyone can do it but some people just would prefer to pay someone else to do that kind of busywork.

What I don't understand is how Benny decides immediately after an interview, which he hasn't been rejected or hired from, that he needs to drop $180 on the service. Especially after he's having difficulties trying to hold down an $800/month job.

Benny, clarify this poo poo for us. Did you memorize the company's information or did you simply print it out and refer to it? Did you bring all your work in a nice, shiny binder or portfolio case with your work examples laid out nicely? I understand this isn't a graphic design job but if you show up with extra work you want to showcase it better look nice. There's nothing stopping you from putting in that extra little bit of effort to show them you take your work very seriously and care about it. If you show up with just a lovely little folder of misplaced papers it won't impress anyone.

When you're in an interview you need to learn what hooks in people's dialogue they want you to pick up on. They rarely ever ask a question expecting to get a yes or no. They want you to either ask them to expand on the subject or add your own 2 cents. For example, if they say "We contract a lot of people like you to do writing for Ikea catalogues" you should know enough about the company to be able to reply with something like "Yeah, I heard you also did a lot of catalogues for Sears. Do they have separate style guides or do you just use one for all your catalogue writing?"

If you've gotten the job interview your work or resume checks out and they're mostly looking for a good personal connection in my experience. If you don't seem like a person who would fit in their office all the resume writing in the world won't save you. I work in a creative field but everyone I've spoken to has said someone's personality is way more important than their skill since you're going to be stuck with them several hours a day. If you've got the interview it's probably not your resume that's the problem.
I memorized it. I printed it out so I could because I work better with a physical copy than I do a digital one. I had the company stats such as what services they offer and locations. I couldn't find anything about the staff such as president or anything on their site. I explained I found them through the carer fair and that who I talked to was interested in my research abilities which I went into detail as academic based. Yet I insisted that I am a quick learner and that I'll be able to absorb and apply any knowledge necessary to the position. I also brought up my administrative experience with the political internship and explained the gap between 2009 and 2013 between employment. After a point he did most of the talking and asked rhetorical questions. He did tell me the position, order processing, was one best suited for someone with an English degree because it required editing skills. Before the interview I did a typing test and wrote a business letter from a prompt. He pulled out the letter and told me that it was a good job. And after some information about the position, he then said I'd be called next week to schedule a follow-up interview. And it never happened because I got that email saying it's no longer available. Now that I think about it, he did bring up how I didn't have any relevant experience to the position and how all my work experience was part time in either retail or service jobs. I definitely need more administrative know-how.

So I scheduled an interview with a psychiatrist on the 27th since he's booked until then. Meanwhile, I'm emailing and calling IE Weekly about the internship position. And I'm gonna look up more clerical positions online. I'm gonna call City of Chino to schedule a session for tomorrow.

EDIT: Just called Chino. I have to do the 3-5 business day wait again but at least I've gotten myself in.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 3, 2013

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Benny the Snake posted:

After a point he did most of the talking and asked rhetorical questions.

Please tell me you just misused the word rhetorical. I have a mental image of the interviewer asking questions while you just stare at him blankly thinking he does not want an answer.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

War, Benny. What is it really good for?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Corn Thongs posted:

War, Benny. What is it really good for?

It strengthens the economy!

But seriously. Unless he was some kind of supervillain monologuing at you, I'm pretty sure they weren't rhetorical.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

"What is an applicant? A miserable little pile of references!"

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Xenocides posted:

Please tell me you just misused the word rhetorical. I have a mental image of the interviewer asking questions while you just stare at him blankly thinking he does not want an answer.
Rhetorical as in he would ask questions that he wouldn't let me answer answer like "You don't want to keep working part time do you? You want a career". That's what I meant by "rhetorical questions".

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Benny the Snake posted:

Rhetorical as in he would ask questions that he wouldn't let me answer answer like "You don't want to keep working part time do you? You want a career". That's what I meant by "rhetorical questions".

Then it sounds like you dodged a bullet. Professionals do not interview like that. Companies that want to scam you or use you do.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Xenocides posted:

Then it sounds like you dodged a bullet. Professionals do not interview like that. Companies that want to scam you or use you do.
That would also explain why the guy was wearing a casual button-up and a white t-shirt underneath.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

Holy loving poo poo. Tell us the name of this company so that we can laugh at how much of a scam outfit they are.

DOTA Uninstaller
Jul 13, 2005
Causing indigestion the world over.
How much did the interview opportunity cost at this amazing place?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Spicy Chili posted:

How much did the interview opportunity cost at this amazing place?

Benny didn't have to pay for an interview. He merely had to make a mandatory, but completely voluntary, donation.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

AlbieQuirky posted:

Holy loving poo poo. Tell us the name of this company so that we can laugh at how much of a scam outfit they are.
Second Image National. And no, I didn't pay anything.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

They actually seem to be legit if overpriced. Sounds like you just got interviewed by a weirdo. Unless you walked into a rehearsal of Glengarry Glen Ross by mistake?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

AlbieQuirky posted:

That's a fairly common usage colloquially, but I agree it's not standard business English.

I've literally never heard anyone say this when they weren't talking stupid on purpose as a joke. My favorite "Bennism" is "dresses to impressed."

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

"On accident" is used a lot by younger speakers in some areas of the US. And in the terrible Death Cab for Cutie song "Brothers on a Hotel Bed".

I personally hate it, too.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

AlbieQuirky posted:

Only Benny could be turned down by a scam outfit.

And did you think that while he sounds like a terrible interviewer, he was actually hoping you'd use such a question not to say "uhuh" but rather to grab onto it and go into your personality / work ethic / long term goals?

"Of course. On one hand a career is very important to me. I didn't go to university to push carts and volunteer. But at the same time I don't like to rely on handouts, so work, any work, was important to me while looking for a real job."

Vs

"Yeah. Career. Not part time. Yeah. Next question? And please not a rhetoric one."

Masonity fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 3, 2013

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Masonity posted:

And did you think that while he sounds like a terrible interviewer, he was actually hoping you'd use such a question not to say "uhuh" but rather to grab onto it and go into your personality / work ethic / long term goals?
:v: You don't want a part-time job, do you?

:stare:

:v: Yeah, uh...you want a career. Here at Second Image National, we're looking for go-getters that are aiming for exciting career opportunities. Sound like that description fits you?

:v: Of...of course it does. Right. So tell me about your past experience. Anything relevant to our company's line of work?

:v: ...good talking to you. [backs away slowly]

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I know of researchers whose first round of interviews is nothing more than "can this person talk" because apparently that is a significant problem in academia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benjai
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah, really Benny. I have a new job, starting August 1st, and I have no education what so ever. Most of my colleagues will be educated pre-school teachers, but I got the job. Why? Because I know how to talk and I know how to sell myself, and because when I go in to an interview I am relaxed and show how awesome a person I am. How easy I am to work with.

I'm qualified for jack poo poo other then knowing basic sign language. I just imagine you sitting stiff with your hands on the desk in a rigid posture and coming off as really indifferent and without personality. Relax, for christ's sake!

• Locked thread