Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm not entirely sure if this is the right thread for it, and there's likely no One Answer, but I'm still curious:

Not every actor or actress makes it, obviously. I figure most of those go on to do non-acting jobs to support themselves.

But what about actors and actresses that get occasional small roles somewhere? Do royalties keep those people afloat financially*, or do they do tend to have to take non-acting gigs?

This was inspired more from a TV perspective (seeing actors who were in something moderately big at one point, but bit parts every few years), but I'm (perhaps ignorantly) assuming that the system doesn't change too drastically between film and TV.

* A half-remembered story in my brain is of some actor recalling how one day he was bitching to himself about not having work, only to get a "Someone showed an old movie" check in the mail.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Someone who moved in similar circles as I was an extra in a few seasons of Star Trek Voyager and while the residuals didn't pay his bills, the constant booking on Star Trek-themed cruises, cons, and whatever else seemed to keep him happy.

(everyone just asks him how hot Jeri Ryan is in person)

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

MisterBibs posted:

* A half-remembered story in my brain is of some actor recalling how one day he was bitching to himself about not having work, only to get a "Someone showed an old movie" check in the mail.

Why do I remember this stuff?!

Wikipedia posted:

During an VH-1 "Behind The Music" episode about 'Weird Al Yankovic' , Emo Philips shows an actual Screen Actors Guild residual check he earned for the film. It was for 30 cents. He stated proudly the check represented what being in the film did for his career.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right thread for it, and there's likely no One Answer, but I'm still curious:

Not every actor or actress makes it, obviously. I figure most of those go on to do non-acting jobs to support themselves.

But what about actors and actresses that get occasional small roles somewhere? Do royalties keep those people afloat financially*, or do they do tend to have to take non-acting gigs?

This was inspired more from a TV perspective (seeing actors who were in something moderately big at one point, but bit parts every few years), but I'm (perhaps ignorantly) assuming that the system doesn't change too drastically between film and TV.

You should have a look at That Guy... Who Was in That Thing. It's on Netflix at the moment.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What happened to shorts? Seems only a few animated features do them anymore.

I can't imagine why DreamWorks wouldn't want to do, say, an 8-minute Skrat short and put it in front of their other features for a few months, with a giant "ICE AGE 12 - October 12th!" at the end of it.

Really I just want more Bugs cartoons.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Monkeyseesaw posted:

My favorite reading of the terrorism in Brazil is that the violence and sabotage are actually just duct-work going wrong because the infrastructure is falling apart but the brilliance of it is nobody realizes this, including the government. The system is literally unknowable to itself...

That's pretty funny. Next time I watch it I'll remember that concept.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Tharizdun posted:

I can't imagine why DreamWorks wouldn't want to do, say, an 8-minute Skrat short and put it in front of their other features for a few months, with a giant "ICE AGE 12 - October 12th!" at the end of it.

Interesting that you should bring that up because I was wondering the same thing myself today. I saw Despicable Me 2 earlier and fully expected it to be preceded by a short, instead it was preceded by an extended preview of Monsters University.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Tharizdun posted:

I'd love to see a Looney Tunes anthology film made up of shorts done in the different styles of talented animators and have a lot of the gags intertwine & cross-reference each other, culminating in a 10-minute climax that brings everything together.

Too bad it'd make about $10,000.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Weren't shorts historically created for filler purposes?

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
Wasn't there a 3d cg road runner short recently? I have no idea what it would have been shown with.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Monkeyseesaw posted:

My favorite reading of the terrorism in Brazil is that the violence and sabotage are actually just duct-work going wrong because the infrastructure is falling apart but the brilliance of it is nobody realizes this, including the government. The system is literally unknowable to itself; there's no one around who can comprehend the state of things so the powers-that-be just figure it's Bad Guys trying to bring civilization down. It fits nicely with the general theme of bureaucracy devouring everything everywhere.

I take the whole movie that way, which is why it seems so relevant to me recently.

The antagonist in Brazil was never the government, to me, it was the complicated systems that were developed to simplify life. In the movie neither the government nor the people can combat the authority of technology.

The entire plot of the movie and all it's consequences are set in motion because of a typo.

When I heard about the NSA having software to search through phone and emails, I don't worry about the government abusing that power, I worry about them being to stupid to use it properly.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

schwenz posted:

I take the whole movie that way, which is why it seems so relevant to me recently.

The antagonist in Brazil was never the government, to me, it was the complicated systems that were developed to simplify life. In the movie neither the government nor the people can combat the authority of technology.

The entire plot of the movie and all it's consequences are set in motion because of a typo.

When I heard about the NSA having software to search through phone and emails, I don't worry about the government abusing that power, I worry about them being to stupid to use it properly.

The bureaucracy is the main antagonist in Brazil. Everything is completely subsumed to it, to the extent that it becomes a crime to actually attempt to fix things, as Robert de Niro's character does, as this threatens the system's ability to reproduce itself.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

MisterBibs posted:

Weren't shorts historically created for filler purposes?

Well, the first movies ever made are shorts, so: no.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Shorts are now called TV shows. There's a lot of indie shorts now too, just no one wants to watch them.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

penismightier posted:

Well, the first movies ever made are shorts, so: no.
Yeah, the idea that (what we now call) the feature film is the standard unit of cinema experience didn't become common until film was pretty well established as a medium. Originally an audience would expect something more like a variety show---comedy shorts, newsreels, longer narrative films, and so on, all as part of `the show'---instead of showing up to watch a movie. The rise to primacy of the feature film didn't happen all at once, but the motivation was primarily economic; the Great Depression put a lot of studios out of business, and the ones that survived ended up devoting fewer resources to their units that produced shorts and newsreels and more to the production of longer films. The reasoning being, presumably, similar to the reason studios have for pushing 3D today---trying to make a product that provides something that audiences can't get elsewhere.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

SubG posted:

Yeah, the idea that (what we now call) the feature film is the standard unit of cinema experience didn't become common until film was pretty well established as a medium. Originally an audience would expect something more like a variety show---comedy shorts, newsreels, longer narrative films, and so on, all as part of `the show'---instead of showing up to watch a movie. The rise to primacy of the feature film didn't happen all at once, but the motivation was primarily economic; the Great Depression put a lot of studios out of business, and the ones that survived ended up devoting fewer resources to their units that produced shorts and newsreels and more to the production of longer films. The reasoning being, presumably, similar to the reason studios have for pushing 3D today---trying to make a product that provides something that audiences can't get elsewhere.

Yup, exactly - to that end tickets to Birth of a Nation (which pretty well typified the idea of a movie) were the equivalent of 60 dollars today. It was a high end show.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

a radii hike posted:

I'd love to see a Looney Tunes anthology film made up of shorts done in the different styles of talented animators and have a lot of the gags intertwine & cross-reference each other, culminating in a 10-minute climax that brings everything together.

The main thing you'd realize is that Bugs Bunny always regrets taking that left turn at Albuquerque.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
Why would he regret something he never does?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

a radii hike posted:

Too bad it'd make about $10,000.

Why not just 2-3 hours of classic Looney Tunes instead? Warner has hundreds upon hundreds of restored cartoons and Disney has recently finished backing up their entire 1928-1952 library in 4K.

You could fill out 3 hours with nothing but great classic cartoons easily.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

With this short/feature length discussion I was reminded of a question. Is there a more intricate taxonomy for categorizing films by length? I know a lot of films get branded as "epic films" but a ninety minute film usually feels a lot different compared to a film more than double that length that doesn't even necessarily meet the typical definition of an "epic film." In my head it feels like anything that goes past 2h30m shifts into some kind of extended jumbo format.

The most common length on the TSPDT 1000 is exactly 90 minutes (30 films). The average film length is 119 minutes.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Zogo posted:

That's pretty funny. Next time I watch it I'll remember that concept.

It's thrown a little bit by DeNiro's character but later when it's sorta kinda suggested that Harry Tuttle doesn't exist the interpretation pulls through.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Monkeyseesaw posted:

It's thrown a little bit by DeNiro's character but later when it's sorta kinda suggested that Harry Tuttle doesn't exist the interpretation pulls through.

But wait, then what about the bit of "unauthorized equipment" he puts in the ducts, that Spoor and Dowswer later find?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Monkeyseesaw posted:

What? I don't think that's suggested at all. I think you're misreading the fact that Tuttle disappears in a swirl of paperwork in what is obviously part of Sam's escape fantasy as an indication that he didn't exist in the first place. The first time Sam encounters Tuttle is well before the escape fantasy, so I don't see why we have any reason to believe he's entirely a delusion.

And for whatever it's worth, I'd never considered, after having watched the film, that we're not expected to take the `terrorists' as a entirely as a manufactured threat. The inverted logic of the bureaucracy sees damage as repair and repair as damage. A malfunctioning typewriter makes Buttle a terrorist. Sam reporting the error makes Sam a terrorist. And on the other side of the coin we see e.g. grotesque disfigurement presented as cosmetic improvement. The idea that Tuttle, another individual branded as a terrorist by the government, is actually going around and repairing things dovetails into this perfectly. Of course poo poo is blowing up---because the bureaucracy is actively hunting down and stopping anything that would prevent things from blowing up.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Ninja Gamer posted:

Why would he regret something he never does?

Touche! As much as my kid watches it, you'd think I'd know better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8TUwHTfOOU

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

SubG posted:

What? I don't think that's suggested at all. I think you're misreading the fact that Tuttle disappears in a swirl of paperwork in what is obviously part of Sam's escape fantasy as an indication that he didn't exist in the first place. The first time Sam encounters Tuttle is well before the escape fantasy, so I don't see why we have any reason to believe he's entirely a delusion.

No that's true, I overstated. The first run in with Tuttle is different in tone and establishes that terrorists or no there are at least rogue "fixers" (which fits in with the bureaucracy-out-of-control motif anyway). But by the time he starts doing actual sabotage freedom-fighter stuff Sam is well on his way to checking out.

SubG posted:

And for whatever it's worth, I'd never considered, after having watched the film, that we're not expected to take the `terrorists' as a entirely as a manufactured threat. The inverted logic of the bureaucracy sees damage as repair and repair as damage. A malfunctioning typewriter makes Buttle a terrorist. Sam reporting the error makes Sam a terrorist. And on the other side of the coin we see e.g. grotesque disfigurement presented as cosmetic improvement. The idea that Tuttle, another individual branded as a terrorist by the government, is actually going around and repairing things dovetails into this perfectly. Of course poo poo is blowing up---because the bureaucracy is actively hunting down and stopping anything that would prevent things from blowing up.

However this isn't quite what I'm saying. I'm saying the terrorism isn't a manufactured threat. The government thinks there are actually terrorists because things keep blowing up; there's no intentional deception of the governed. But the beauty of it is the infrastructure just does that because it's such a mess. There is literally no one running anything in the world of Brazil. There is no agency, will, or intent, including the government's, that isn't completely subjugated to the bureaucracy.

Dr Monkeysee fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 3, 2013

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Where can I learn more about the cinema of India? Bollywood, Tollywood, etc. - what I'd really like is a listing of some of the classic, influential, or best-regarded films from that part of the world, and maybe some concise notes about what to look for.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Monkeyseesaw posted:

However this isn't quite what I'm saying. I'm saying the terrorism isn't a manufactured threat. The government thinks there are actually terrorists because things keep blowing up; there's no intentional deception of the governed. But the beauty of it is the infrastructure just does that because it's such a mess. There is literally no one running anything in the world of Brazil. There is no agency, will, or intent, including the government's, that isn't completely subjugated to the bureaucracy.
I agree, but I don't think calling the terrorists a manufactured threat implies intentional deception, merely that the idea did not exist until conjured into being by the government. They're a paranoid delusion.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

SubG posted:

I agree, but I don't think calling the terrorists a manufactured threat implies intentional deception, merely that the idea did not exist until conjured into being by the government. They're a paranoid delusion.

Maybe. In my experience "manufactured threat" implies malicious intent to deceive the public. I like the idea that no one has privileged information in Brazil. The entire world has become a muddling disaster with no one at the helm.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

quote:

You should have a look at That Guy... Who Was in That Thing. It's on Netflix at the moment.

This is pretty great by the way. It's always good to hear from some of the more lesser known guys.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 3, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'd be a bit disappointed if Brian Posehn wasn't in that film.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
My girlfriend is curious to see more of Hong Kong cinema, specifically stuff that depicts life in Hong Kong and also good examples of Hong Kong cop action movies. I've named off the scant few things I've seen (Hard Boiled, Chungking Express, In the Mood for Love) and then branching out from there, which kinda limits us to John Woo and Wong Kar-Wai. Anybody have any other recommendations or notable works I should scare up?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Friedpundit posted:

My girlfriend is curious to see more of Hong Kong cinema, specifically stuff that depicts life in Hong Kong and also good examples of Hong Kong cop action movies. I've named off the scant few things I've seen (Hard Boiled, Chungking Express, In the Mood for Love) and then branching out from there, which kinda limits us to John Woo and Wong Kar-Wai. Anybody have any other recommendations or notable works I should scare up?

Not action, but it is a cop movie - Infernal Affairs.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 3, 2013

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Friedpundit posted:

You mean comparatively modern Hong Kong directors, or historically? I think my overall favourite currently-working Hong Kong director is Johnnie To. He's pretty loving prolific and most of his stuff is at least worth a watch. He's a very mainstream, high-profile director, so his films are pretty easy to find. Some recommendations: The Heroic Trio (1993) (a modern action film deconstruction of wuxia), Running Out of Time (1999) (light-ish police procedural/thriller), The Mission (1999) (psychological drama buried in a triad film), PTU (2003) (arthouse mood piece in a police procedural).

Lau Wai-Keung (a.k.a. Andrew---not Andy---Lau) is another prolific mainstream director. He directed the first Young and Dangerous (1996) (street-level gang film, first in a long series), The Storm Riders (1998) (high fantasy wuxia), and most prominently the Infernal Affairs trilogy (cops-vs-triads, basis for The Departed (2006)).

I'd suggest Ringo Lam and Tsui Hark films as well, but they're all sprouts that grew more or less from the same soil as Woo. So if you're branching out, that's not branching out far. Are you interested in recent stuff, or would you also like slice-of-life films from the Hong Kong New Wave (in the late '70s/early '80s)? New Wave directors like Allen Fong and Ann Hui are big names in the genre but are less well known than Woo, Lam, and Hark because they mostly made films that didn't involve guns and explosions.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
This is awesome, thanks! I forgot that I've seen the first Infernal Affairs.

I'm leaning more towards comparatively modern and recent stuff, but I definitely want to hear more about the historical and slice-of-life stuff from the New Wave. I'm reading up on Ram, Hark, Hui, and Fong now, but if you have any personal recommendations to add, I'll jot them down.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
Hong Kong really loooooves their cop movies.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
The best Hong Kong cop movie is From Beijing with Love.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Stephen Chow has acted in some hilarious stuff like Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle. His earlier works consist of more slapstick comedy and isn't well-known by the West, but I found them all pretty hilarious. He is however not a very good director and I walked out of his latest film Journey to the West.

I actually grew up watching Hong Kong flicks on Sunday nights and have seen a ton of stuff whose names I can't remember. The Wicked City (1992) is pretty cool for a Hong Kong sci-fi. Future Cops (1993) is loosely based on gaming characters and has this scene:

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Vegetable posted:

Stephen Chow has acted in some hilarious stuff like Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle. His earlier works consist of more slapstick comedy and isn't well-known by the West, but I found them all pretty hilarious. He is however not a very good director and I walked out of his latest film Journey to the West.

Just for the record, he also wrote and directed Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle, so I wouldn't completely count out his directing skills if you liked those two.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

DetoxP posted:

Just for the record, he also wrote and directed Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle, so I wouldn't completely count out his directing skills if you liked those two.
Yeah, I did notice this while researching his filmography. In hindsight it wasn't a fair comment to make. I'll just say his latest film is atrocious and should be avoided in case it somehow finds its way into a cinema in the West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Vegetable posted:

I've only seen the commercials for it (loving everywhere) and it looked awful. Glad to see I was probably right.