Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

kri kri posted:

Most goons in this thread are saying the android xbmc sticks are not production worthy at the moment.

Is there anything, similar price range, that is noteworthy for XBMC Android?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Heners_UK posted:

Is there anything, similar price range, that is noteworthy for XBMC Android?

It's XBMC Android that is the problem. It's a fantastic effort, just not ready for prime time beyond hobbyists and tinkerers. If you want a media center that "just works" it's not for you whatever you run it on. A cheap AD12 or the like with OpenElec is still your best bet.

Some are better than others, but the Android hardware market is so fragmented it's hard to tell day to day which.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Ixian posted:

It's XBMC Android that is the problem. It's a fantastic effort, just not ready for prime time beyond hobbyists and tinkerers. If you want a media center that "just works" it's not for you whatever you run it on. A cheap AD12 or the like with OpenElec is still your best bet.

Real pity since I really want to get back to XBMC... The $100 hardware typical of the current android devices would be great for what I want to spend/results I expect. ... But the sad part is that I would rather get 2 wd tv boxes.... But now I sound like I'm blaming the messenger which I most certainly am not.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008

Milky_Sauce posted:

Wow you might be right. I have the computer set to "auto reboot" every other day at 4am when no one is using it. I do this because as a low powered HTPC, it gets slow when it's on for too long. Also, I have XBMC set to update the library whenever XBMC is started, which happens whenever the computer reboots, so it's nice to not have to manually click "update library" and wait a few minutes just to watch something that aired last night.

Since you seemed to have stumbled upon to something, is there any way to prevent XBMC from doing this resolution change? What exactly is happening here? XBMC simply starting with no device attached and making up on its own what resolution to use or something?

I get the same issue with Ubuntu if the system power cycles while the display is turned off. I guess without the display informatin available it just launches in a default resolution.

Only solution I've found is ensuring the display is on when the system powers on.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Anyone here using an OUYA with XBMC? I was wondering how it was doing performances wise? I'm currently using a RPi serie A and getting fedup of the slowness of it.

I'm thinking about either using XBMC on an OUYA or go all in and make a real HTPC.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ouya is just a terrible piece of poo poo, I'd plump for the RPi over it a million times. If you want something decent, build or buy something decent.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

The pHo posted:

Ouya is just a terrible piece of poo poo, I'd plump for the RPi over it a million times. If you want something decent, build or buy something decent.

Well I kinda knew that no one likes the OUYA but I figured that just using it for XBMC could be done with better performances than the RPi.

Is there any guidelines on what kind of hardware to get to build my own HTPC? I think I will do that. I'd like to be able to maybe play some Steam Big Picture games as well as emulators, I guess that means I need quite a beefy HTPC. Is that worth it or should I really stick with my desktop computer for gaming and the HTPC for media?

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch

Le0 posted:

Well I kinda knew that no one likes the OUYA but I figured that just using it for XBMC could be done with better performances than the RPi.

Is there any guidelines on what kind of hardware to get to build my own HTPC? I think I will do that. I'd like to be able to maybe play some Steam Big Picture games as well as emulators, I guess that means I need quite a beefy HTPC. Is that worth it or should I really stick with my desktop computer for gaming and the HTPC for media?

I just bought an ODROID-u2, can let you know how it is in a week.
Think a powerful ouya without all the wank.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Le0 posted:

The OP has some recommendations for PC hardware, but they are all low end for video playback. If you want to play games, you will pretty much need to build a gaming PC. Anything that could play modern games is not going to have any problems with XBMC. Your primary concern is going to be fan noise. It is possible to build a silent or quiet gaming PC, but you might end spending a little more to do it, and getting a little less power for it.

Myself personally, I have a Intel Atom/ION XBMC PC on my TV and a high end gaming PC that is also my primary desktop PC in the same room. I ran a Redmere HDMI cable in wall from my game PC to my TV and I switch the PC's displays to the TV when I want to play games using Steam Big Picture. This was the best solution I could come up with that would allow for me to use my PC with a keyboard and mouse normally and easily play games using Steam Big Picture with out buying 2 high end gaming PCs.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Myself personally, I have a Intel Atom/ION XBMC PC on my TV and a high end gaming PC that is also my primary desktop PC in the same room. I ran a Redmere HDMI cable in wall from my game PC to my TV and I switch the PC's displays to the TV when I want to play games using Steam Big Picture. This was the best solution I could come up with that would allow for me to use my PC with a keyboard and mouse normally and easily play games using Steam Big Picture with out buying 2 high end gaming PCs.

Hey guys, thanks for the infos.

I really like this solution you have there, my gaming PC is in the next room so I could take a cable from there to the TV.
What cable did you buy and what is this Redmere business. I searched the net and I found out that Redmere was a manufacturer of cable but what is special about them?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Le0 posted:

Hey guys, thanks for the infos.

I really like this solution you have there, my gaming PC is in the next room so I could take a cable from there to the TV.
What cable did you buy and what is this Redmere business. I searched the net and I found out that Redmere was a manufacturer of cable but what is special about them?

Normal HDMI cables can only run short distances and they start getting very expensive and very thick the longer you buy them.

Redmere is a brand/technology of HDMI cables that have a signal regeneration chip built in to one end of the cable so that they can make the cables longer and thinner. I bought a 40 foot one off of Monoprice.com earlier this year. I think it was about $40 or so.

Similarly, you can by HDMI-over-Cat5/6 devices that will let you run standard networking cable between two points and use these adaptors on each end to convert them to carry your HDMI signal. I have not personally used these, but one of my coworkers has told me about how he uses them in his church. I believe they are using them over very long runs and the Redmere cables might be cheap and are probably simpler.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Le0 posted:

Anyone here using an OUYA with XBMC? I was wondering how it was doing performances wise? I'm currently using a RPi serie A and getting fedup of the slowness of it.

I'm thinking about either using XBMC on an OUYA or go all in and make a real HTPC.

I have one and use it for XBMC, it works decently. You have to use an alpha version of XBMC to get HD video to work. It crashes once in awhile, but not during playback, just navigating menus. I have only tried 720p video and it played fine. You also need to connect it via ethernet, wireless is garbage on this thing. Constant buffering when I stream it from my HTPC. I ran a few different skins on it and they all ran fine. I haven't really put it through its paces yet because I got it, and then went right on a vacation, but it seems to work just fine for using it to play stuff in my bedroom.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So it works decently... despite the fact it crashes, it might not work above 720p, wireless is useless and it constantly buffers if you have your video on LAN? That sounds like loving unusable garbage to me.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

The pHo posted:

So it works decently... despite the fact it crashes, it might not work above 720p, wireless is useless and it constantly buffers if you have your video on LAN? That sounds like loving unusable garbage to me.

Yeah... if I were trying to watch a movie in my precious free time and it kept crashing on menus, it would be going out the window very quickly.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Seriously, Go with an Nvidia Ion motherboard and call it a day. No problem with 1080p. If you look around they can be had for dirt cheap. These won't play modern games, but they were designed specifically for HTPC's. I personally use an Asus AT3IONT shoved in a .50 ammo can with 2 1Tb hard drives and it works flawlessly.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Lowen SoDium posted:

The OP has some recommendations for PC hardware, but they are all low end for video playback. If you want to play games, you will pretty much need to build a gaming PC. Anything that could play modern games is not going to have any problems with XBMC. Your primary concern is going to be fan noise. It is possible to build a silent or quiet gaming PC, but you might end spending a little more to do it, and getting a little less power for it.

Basically the components just don't exist (or didn't exist 1.5 years ago when I made mine, I guess) to match all of these requirements:
1) mATX/mITX case that looks decent
2) CPU + fan that fits in said case
3) High-end low-profile video card
while staying cool enough to really stress these components. Noise isn't such a problem because modern motherboards can ramp up the fans when necessary and run silently otherwise, so my HTPC is silent during movies but sounds like a vacuum during serious gaming / emulation. It's definitely a bunch of compromises, and it's not the smallest, or nicest-looking, or most powerful for gaming, or quietest, or cheapest option. Still, I'm happy with it and it can emulate the hell out of the Wii using Dolphin.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

berzerker posted:

Basically the components just don't exist (or didn't exist 1.5 years ago when I made mine, I guess) to match all of these requirements:
1) mATX/mITX case that looks decent
2) CPU + fan that fits in said case
3) High-end low-profile video card
while staying cool enough to really stress these components. Noise isn't such a problem because modern motherboards can ramp up the fans when necessary and run silently otherwise, so my HTPC is silent during movies but sounds like a vacuum during serious gaming / emulation. It's definitely a bunch of compromises, and it's not the smallest, or nicest-looking, or most powerful for gaming, or quietest, or cheapest option. Still, I'm happy with it and it can emulate the hell out of the Wii using Dolphin.

You can do it if you are willing to forgo a low profile. I have a mITX Lian Li case that takes full height cards and it looks really nice. But most full high high end GPUs are going to make some noise under load.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
I bought an Ouya for grins and tried the recommended Alpha of XBMC on it. It's actually a little worse than it is on other Android hardware I have (such as my N7). 720p plays, mostly, but LAN content buffers constantly (even wired), 1080p is useless....pretty much everything annoying about the in-development and not ready for prime time yet XBMC Android port is personified in the Ouya.

Don't get one for XBMC. In fact, don't get one, the controller is wonky, the interface stupid, and the games nothing special that you can't play better on something else. I like collecting offbeat and failed consoles - I still have a Saturn and TG16 sitting on a shelf among other nick nacks - so it doesn't bother me but if you actually want to, you know, use it you are going to be disappointed.

Drop $200 on an AD12 and another $20 on an FLIRC dongle and enjoy a hassle free XBMC experience with OpenElec. That's still the best way to go.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What is the deal with Android XBMC? Why is it so stunted in development? With a user base so large and a common framework with Linux shouldn't it have been a cinch to port it over?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

YouTuber posted:

What is the deal with Android XBMC? Why is it so stunted in development? With a user base so large and a common framework with Linux shouldn't it have been a cinch to port it over?

For starters, there's no clear Android hardware "standard", just a lot of different ARM SoC's with different media capabilities. Also, set-top Android isn't nearly as popular as mobile device Android and the latter add a different set of problems - touch support, different screen sizes/resolutions/etc.

A lot of these issues have been overcome, or are being overcome, but it's not easy. I'm amazed at how far they've come, really. It took years and years before real, optimized builds for low powered x86 platforms (iON, Fusion, Intel GMA, etc) and those come in far fewer varieties.

Before you ask why they didn't just "standardize" on one Android platform - they sort of tried, in that a manufacture provided them support and hardware (Pivos) and to put it mildly that didn't work out so well - some actually consider it the worst Android box of them all for XBMC, though hyperbole probably plays a part in that.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Ixian posted:

Drop $200 on an AD12 and another $20 on an FLIRC dongle and enjoy a hassle free XBMC experience with OpenElec. That's still the best way to go.

Okay guys, not OUYA then :v:

This AD12 Zotac thing looks great I think. I'm gonna research this more.
Are there any other device in the vein of the AD12 or is this the thing everyone gets?

What HDD/SDD and RAM people usually take with a Zotac?

Le0 fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 3, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Le0 posted:

Are there any other device in the vein of the AD12 or is this the thing everyone gets?

Intel NUC, but the mSATA drive will cost you.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Well you could just run OpenELEC off a USB drive.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Sendo posted:

Well you could just run OpenELEC off a USB drive.

Is this really working or is it "working" like the RPi? I'd like something that runs well without too much slowdown and that can run 1080p. Basically I will buy a Zotac I think. :)

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Le0 posted:

What HDD/SDD and RAM people usually take with a Zotac?

I have a couple of foxconn nt-a3500 boxes. They work great. I would recommend against using windows on it if you are going to use WiFi for connectivity because the Windows driver is pretty lovely, but the WiFi driver in OpenElec is fine.

When I bought it, it came with a free 64GB OCZ SSD. OCZ is a poo poo brand for drives, but free is free.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
So besides RAM and a SDD I don't need to buy anything more for a Zotac, correct?

Was thinking this for the SDD : Samsung SSD 840 Basic, TLC, 120GB, SATA-3, 2.5
For RAM : Corsair ValueSelect 8GB SO-DIMM, DDR3-1333

Could anyone provide some feedback on these components? Will it do fine?

Le0 fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 3, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
You don't need a SSD for any of the Zotacs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Curious as to what's wrong with your RPi, I've set a few up for people and they sat nicely in a MySQL xbmc network. No issues with playback or navigation, my housemate has issues with airplay but that's it. This is using the final frodo openelec build for it.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

tarepanda posted:

You don't need a SSD for any of the Zotacs.

Well I'm buying it empty cause they are out of stock for ones already fitted.

The pHo posted:

Curious as to what's wrong with your RPi, I've set a few up for people and they sat nicely in a MySQL xbmc network. No issues with playback or navigation, my housemate has issues with airplay but that's it. This is using the final frodo openelec build for it.

Well it works I mean but I'd like something a bit less on the limit performances wise. The RPi can barely run XBMC, I mean if you have anything else running in the background when playback you are toast, also my TV cannot decode DTS so any time I play DTS I have stuttering etc... Maybe that changed now but I'd like something that generally runs better without slow downs etc...

I've been running it for months now, streaming from my NAS and it generally works pretty well. But I'd like to run emulators from it and maybe hook up my cable to use XBMC as PVR. Mainly looking for a long term solution.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Le0 posted:

Well I'm buying it empty cause they are out of stock for ones already fitted.

No, I mean, you don't need a SSD. You can just use a normal laptop HD.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

tarepanda posted:

No, I mean, you don't need a SSD. You can just use a normal laptop HD.

Oh silly me... Thanks dude it'll save me some bucks

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Le0 posted:

Is this really working or is it "working" like the RPi? I'd like something that runs well without too much slowdown and that can run 1080p. Basically I will buy a Zotac I think. :)

The NUC works great with OpenElec on a USB drive. Sendo is right, if you are going to just use it as an OE box then mSata is a waste of money, you can install that on any 1gb+ thumb drive you have sitting around (although quality does count, so nothing too decrepit).

The first NUC I got I did get mSata, the second I went USB and there's no difference between the two in XBMC at all. Both provide about as good an XBMC experience as there is.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got an old lovely 5400 RPM drive in my Xotac box that I scavenged from work and I've got no problems with it. 4GB of RAM and XBMC just pretty much stays in memory the whole time, and my media and library are on my server.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

The pHo posted:

Being a terrible novice with MySQL, I've seen a couple guides to set up your library to sync with a SQL server, but couldn't really get it to work right. Is there a particular guide that any of you would recommend? I'm no stranger to a command line, but I pretty much copy/paste SQL commands in as I have no godly idea what I'm doing.

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 3, 2013

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Illuminado posted:

Being a terrible novice with MySQL, I've seen a couple guides to set up your library to sync with a SQL server, but couldn't really get it to work right. Is there a particular guide that any of you would recommend? I'm no stranger to a command line, but I pretty much copy/paste SQL commands in as I have no godly idea what I'm doing.

Yes just follow the instructions on the xbmc wiki, I am pretty sure a link is also in the OP.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

kri kri posted:

Yes just follow the instructions on the xbmc wiki, I am pretty sure a link is also in the OP.

I looked there first, but didn't see anything until The pHo's comment about it.

I'll check the official Wiki again. I believe I did that the first time (to not good results).

Edit: Oh there it is!

This was the part where I got lost. I did it wrong and it would crash XBMC, and then when I fixed the crashing issues, it just wouldn't sync.

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 4, 2013

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Illuminado posted:

I looked there first, but didn't see anything until The pHo's comment about it.

I'll check the official Wiki again. I believe I did that the first time (to not good results).

You used this?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Share_libraries_using_MySQL

Its pretty straight forward. Did you remember to add your sources and then scan them in?

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

kri kri posted:

You used this?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Share_libraries_using_MySQL

Its pretty straight forward. Did you remember to add your sources and then scan them in?

Yeah, it was a pre-existing install that I had had for a while. I exported the Library, tried to sync it with my SQL server, got no error messages, imported the library on the new Compy, dumped the same Advanced.XML on the new compy, and whenever that computer tried to sync with the server, there would just be discrepancies.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
Shouldn't openelec on USB just set up a ramdisk if you're using a SQL Server backend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Ixian posted:

The NUC works great with OpenElec on a USB drive. Sendo is right, if you are going to just use it as an OE box then mSata is a waste of money, you can install that on any 1gb+ thumb drive you have sitting around (although quality does count, so nothing too decrepit).

The first NUC I got I did get mSata, the second I went USB and there's no difference between the two in XBMC at all. Both provide about as good an XBMC experience as there is.

So I revised my build, here is what I'm planning to buy.

HDD : WD Blue Mobile, 5400rpm, 8MB, 2.5 Zoll, 500GB, SATA-II
RAM : Kingston ValueRAM, 4GB, DDR3-1333, CL9, SODIMM

Le0 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 4, 2013