Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
That's great, I totally didn't notice the spider at first!

"That fly is way out of focus... wait are those eyes? Ah, it's spider peeking over something... Ooooh!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Fly butts. That spider vs fly one is fantastic ... showdown, and you can bet who is going to lose.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

ah forget it posted:

That's great, I totally didn't notice the spider at first!

"That fly is way out of focus... wait are those eyes? Ah, it's spider peeking over something... Ooooh!"

Crab spiders know their camouflage

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Fly butts. That spider vs fly one is fantastic ... showdown, and you can bet who is going to lose.

:black101:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

oly's 60mm macro is pretty sweet.

_6180118.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

_6180282.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

_6180271.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

_6180062.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Here's some mushroom poop or something.

Panaeolus foenisecii by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

voodoorootbeer posted:

Here's some mushroom poop or something.

Panaeolus foenisecii by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

More like mushroom :gizz:

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Question for you macro guys, I recently was given my grandfathers old AI lens and his extension rings. the extensions are PK-11 and PK-12's marked with 8 and 14 respectively, is the 8 and 14 what the change in the focal length is (i.e. 35-(8+14)) or something else?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Macro: owns

paper wasp by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

Spime Wrangler fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 20, 2013

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Got the DCR-250 yesterday and shot these with it on a 55-200 f/4-5.6 nikkor kit lens.

Big

Big

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

My Tokina 90mm f/2.5 Macro came back from the repair shop today and I took it to the closest state park for a test drive. The weather's been persistently grey and I don't have any field lighting gear yet, but I'm really liking the look of this lens so far.

Tiny mushrooms amongst the spruce needles and moss

A hairy flower growing in the coastal scrub

An alligator lizard that bolted when I tried to get closer than this

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Sweet, I placed in the top 5 of Canon's Camera Day macro photo contest. I won a tiny 8G flash drive replica of a 5D mark III. Mine is the lizard.

Yay! by Eeek5127, on Flickr

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Here, have a ladybug.

(it was windy as gently caress, this bug would NOT stay still, and the sun was almost gone so i had to shoot at a crazy high ISO) I'm surprised I was able to get this photo at all.

ladybug by francography, on Flickr

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

That ladybug is easy on the eyes in a wonderful way.

I found these cuties today, along with a lot of generic orb weavers facing the wrong direction and mosquitos.

Lil' Hopper by Icybacon, on Flickr

Fuzzy Wuzzy Orby Worby by Icybacon, on Flickr
:3:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Eeek posted:

Sweet, I placed in the top 5 of Canon's Camera Day macro photo contest. I won a tiny 8G flash drive replica of a 5D mark III. Mine is the lizard.

Yay! by Eeek5127, on Flickr

Congrats! I can't believe that picture of 1/4 of someone's face counts as macro.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
My friend recently opened his website where he does macro photo/video of nudibranchs and other tiny marine life from the Philippines and Guam, worth a look I promise :)

http://www.macronesia.net/

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Abugadu posted:

My friend recently opened his website where he does macro photo/video of nudibranchs and other tiny marine life from the Philippines and Guam, worth a look I promise :)

You speak the truth. Really amazing stuff!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Picked up a $3 chinese 49mm NEX reverse ring on eBay for my trusty .. wait I mean dusty .. Helios-44. Kind of want to get into some Macro since I'm stuck in the hell that is suburbia and can't find anything regular-sized that's worth shooting. I should probably invest in some kind of light source now, huh.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Picked up a $3 chinese 49mm NEX reverse ring on eBay for my trusty .. wait I mean dusty .. Helios-44. Kind of want to get into some Macro since I'm stuck in the hell that is suburbia and can't find anything regular-sized that's worth shooting. I should probably invest in some kind of light source now, huh.

have fun doing that with the hotshoe on your nex sucka

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

have fun doing that with the hotshoe on your nex sucka

I already got an adapter for this godforsaken "hotshoe".

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I already got an adapter for this godforsaken "hotshoe".

and i'm sure you'll have fun using it

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

and i'm sure you'll have fun using it

I'm sure I will :haw:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 3, 2013

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

What kind of flash are you going to use? A cobra on top of a NEX sounds pretty awkward.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't like the idea of any camera on this flimsy mount. I'll probably get a DealExtreme radio popper and a manual off-camera flash.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Well, doesn't that defeat the purpose of owning a NEX?

What about the official flash? Nice and small (and expensive), at modest magnifications - say 1:1 or less - and with a half-decent diffuser it should work well enough.

e:

Abugadu posted:

This is very cool, thanks for sharing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:stare: I literally forgot I owned that haha. I'll have to try diffusing it first.

I still kind of want an off camera setup but that's a discussion for another thread :)

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Abugadu posted:

envious of both his skills and his working environment :)

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Abugadu posted:

gently caress yes, these are amazing

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
Why, Hello..

Cricket by Bryan's Photo Pages, on Flickr

Damselfly 2 by Bryan's Photo Pages, on Flickr

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
First butterfly that let me this close, should be about 1.5X

IMG_6671 by ruut103, on Flickr

FlashBewin
May 17, 2009
Took these a while back...

I wish I had taken 100 more shots of this moth while I had the chance. It was only a few hours old when i took these, the wings hadn't hardened yet so it was basically captive. I took this shot at about 4pm...by 7pm it flew away. I would have focused more on the face instead of the elbow. That's what i get for handholding.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
There's been a bug explosion around my yard lately so I've finally got some decent subjects. Here's a couple recent shots:

Brown Prionid Beetle (Orthosoma brunneum)

Silver-spotted Skipper (Epargyreus clarus)

Female Eastern Carpenter Bee - (Xylocopa virginica)

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

I tried to clean it with a 20% rubbing alcohol solution and it still had pollen and crap on it. I need to keep trying more stuff I guess.

Graniteman fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 12, 2013

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Graniteman posted:

I tried to clean it with a 20% rubbing alcohol solution and it still had pollen and crap on it. I need to keep trying more stuff I guess.

Critters are great at keeping themselves clean. You know, when they're alive :colbert:

(excuse the terrible light; these pics are oooooooold)

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

seravid posted:

Critters are great at keeping themselves clean. You know, when they're alive :colbert:

Officer I never seen that lady before in my life. I was nowhere near the place where she got whacked!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Graniteman posted:

Officer I never seen that lady before in my life. I was nowhere near the place where she got whacked!

Bad move lying to the coppers (that fly's a dude :ssh:)

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

seravid posted:

Bad move lying to the coppers (that fly's a dude :ssh:)

Officer I swears I thought he was a lady, and was over a day old!

I guess I'm obviously more into the photography than the etymology. How can you tell it's a male?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Graniteman posted:

Officer I swears I thought he was a lady, and was over a day old!

I guess I'm obviously more into the photography than the etymology. How can you tell it's a male?

I'm no etymologist myself, it's just easy to tell with some flies.

Male:

Female:

Don't know exactly how many species follow this pattern (I know fruit flies don't, they both have eyes far apart).

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Ladybug larva

Flower fly, I think

Banana slug beauty shot

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.
I've been playing around with my macro extension tubes and a 50 f/1.8. I used all 49mm of my tubes to get some close up shots of this cracked DVD.

One shot is ambient exposure, the second is an off-camera flash fired through the disc itself to make the cracks glow.

DVD Macro 1 by blurrymystr, on Flickr

DVD Macro 2 by blurrymystr, on Flickr

DVD Macro 3 by blurrymystr, on Flickr

DVD Macro 4 by blurrymystr, on Flickr

For this one, I exposed for ambient and fired flash as well, to make the cracks glow and catch the cool colors on the surface.

DVD Macro 5 by blurrymystr, on Flickr

Lessons learned: the focus ring on the 50mm f/1.8 is terribad. I was shooting at f/16 to try and maximize the tiny bit of DOF and nailing focus was insane. My next camera purchase is going to be a simple macro rail so I can spend less time trying to inch the tripod forward fractions of an inch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

No insects were harmed in the creation of these particular images
Cropped image of a small pollenater (2mm) shot at 1:1

Honeybee at 1:1

Random moth in my house. About 2:1.