Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah, I just bought a pack of 10 on Amazon because I wanted to use my Prime shipping since I'd like to get the beer on the beans tomorrow or Thursday as opposed to next week sometime. I really only needed like 4, but that was the lowest order I could do and still get them this week.

Use the other 6 for some serious vanilla mead. I REALLY Like vanilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

Not if I paid the $4 to get it tomorrow (which I totally did because gently caress waiting)

but now you blew the margins and you are paying WAY too much per item!

(also good move)

^^^ speaking of, i always wanted to do a mead, but i think i never have even tried one. I dont see it around locally, so i have nothing to go by on the subject of dry vs sweet vs taste. i need research mead!

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Since we're on the topic of vanilla beans, I couldn't find a solid answer to my question by Googling... I want to add a splash of vanilla to my ~5.5gal of strawberry/lemon mead. Are two beans (split/scraped) going to be too much in secondary if they sit for 2+ months?

I'm not looking for a strong vanilla flavor, just something nice to compliment the strawberries.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

hellfaucet posted:

Since we're on the topic of vanilla beans, I couldn't find a solid answer to my question by Googling... I want to add a splash of vanilla to my ~5.5gal of strawberry/lemon mead. Are two beans (split/scraped) going to be too much in secondary if they sit for 2+ months?

I'm not looking for a strong vanilla flavor, just something nice to compliment the strawberries.

Unfortunately in the world of Vanilla Beans, Freshness is a big factor. Start with 1.5 per gallon or so, and see where it's at after the 2 months, and add more if necessary. Also Vanilla Ages out pretty fast (relative to to other spices) So don't be afraid to go a bit over if you're looking for some long aging reserve mead.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I guess the next question is, now that I have 10 beans, how many to use in this porter? I'm looking for something more like the older versions of Victory at Sea, so maybe I'm thinking like a person who wants a vanilla bomb?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Roundboy posted:

^^^ speaking of, i always wanted to do a mead, but i think i never have even tried one. I dont see it around locally, so i have nothing to go by on the subject of dry vs sweet vs taste. i need research mead!

If your profile location is accurate and you still live in Drexel Hill I will be running a Mead making demo and a Mead sharing event at the Philadelphia Honey Fest this September: http://phillyhoneyfest.com/schedule/mead-event/

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer
For a beginner trying to figure out ways to chill a fermentor down (I'm in Texas, it's hot), what are the pros & cons between a son of fermentation chiller and an old craigslist fridge? I'm throwing together a swamp cooler right quick, but figured I should get something a bit more consistent.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Deviantfish posted:

For a beginner trying to figure out ways to chill a fermentor down (I'm in Texas, it's hot), what are the pros & cons between a son of fermentation chiller and an old craigslist fridge? I'm throwing together a swamp cooler right quick, but figured I should get something a bit more consistent.

Well, the biggest one is that a fridge is set it and forget it, which is key for someone like me (read: lazy)

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I think the McCormick crap beans run $12.45 for one or two dried up nasty crap beans.
McCormick vanilla beans won the last America's Test Kitchen taste test, even beating out several mail-order boutique brands. Still not worth $16.99/2 beans, though.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

nmfree posted:

McCormick vanilla beans won the last America's Test Kitchen taste test, even beating out several mail-order boutique brands. Still not worth $16.99/2 beans, though.

I'm guessing they got some fresher product rather than the stuff that's been sitting on the shelf in my local supermarket forever.

PS - Mead Day is coming up on August 3rd.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I'm thinking of taking my brewing equipment home for the weekend to brew at my parents' house. I figure it would be something fun to do with my dad and little brother, but there are two logistic sticking points in my mind.

1. It's not illegal to drive with a sealed container of unfermented wort, correct? I mean it's basically just sugar water. I pass a border patrol checkpoint on the way back from home (Texas) and I have a feeling they might ask questions.

2. Would the sloshing around of the wort during the drive cause any problems? My thoughts are that as long as the yeast isn't in there it should be fine. What's the longest some of you have let your wort sit before pitching?

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Homebrew experts,

I really want to get into lagering, but am prevented from doing so based upon my lack of reliable refrigeration in a large enough size. I have a larger, taller dorm fridge that I've been able to make stay stable at about 50-55* F, that I'm not willing to bend or tear things out of. What really limits me, like most with these size fridges is the height of a 6 gallon BB and the bubbler that is attached to it.

I think I may have found a solution and I hoped someone could give me a thumbs up or thumbs down. I saw these at Wal-Mart today for $6 a piece and was thinking "fermentation carboy." They appear to be the right size. I'd have to take a 5 gallon batch and split it among two containers, each measuring 3 gallons a piece, hoping that there is enough headspace.

I'm not sure about the kind of plastic and I'm not sure if the handles would mess things up, but I figured it was worth a shot to ask if this would work.

What do the experts say?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I've seen them too and was curious. They are for water so they should be food grade.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
They're almost cheap enough to be disposable, really. I would worry about the permeability of the plastic. It says "rigid PVC" there on that label. Is there a little triangular recycling identifier on the bottom? It should be more precise about what kind of plastic it is. Brew buckets are made of HDPE. Better bottles are made of PET (or PETE?).

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jo3sh posted:

They're almost cheap enough to be disposable, really. I would worry about the permeability of the plastic. It says "rigid PVC" there on that label. Is there a little triangular recycling identifier on the bottom? It should be more precise about what kind of plastic it is. Brew buckets are made of HDPE. Better bottles are made of PET (or PETE?).
PVC should be a 3. A quick google says permeability should be nearly that of PET.

But a quick google also says only 1 and 2 (PET and HDPE) are considered food grade at non neutral pH and beer is acidic.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
So PVC is only safe for water then? Darn, those would have been great for cheap fermenters.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
You're all overlooking the most important thing. The company's called PIMPLASTIC. They should be patronized for the brand name alone.

But yeah don't use that for beer.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
What's your thinking on not using it? I don't really see a reason not to...

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Gas permeability and chemical seepage, that's why.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Daedalus Esquire posted:

What's your thinking on not using it? I don't really see a reason not to...
Plasticizers are usually the answer in cases like this, in this case some that are solublized by low or high pH. Whether its plasticizers that make it taste funny or plasticizers that give you cancer or plasticizers that give dudes a fantastic rack is the question then.

nesbit37 posted:

Gas permeability and chemical seepage, that's why.
PVC permeability is actually a lot like PET.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

illcendiary posted:

I'm thinking of taking my brewing equipment home for the weekend to brew at my parents' house. I figure it would be something fun to do with my dad and little brother, but there are two logistic sticking points in my mind.

1. It's not illegal to drive with a sealed container of unfermented wort, correct? I mean it's basically just sugar water. I pass a border patrol checkpoint on the way back from home (Texas) and I have a feeling they might ask questions.

2. Would the sloshing around of the wort during the drive cause any problems? My thoughts are that as long as the yeast isn't in there it should be fine. What's the longest some of you have let your wort sit before pitching?

1. As long as you don't pitch the yeast yeah I can't see a problem. Also, the only reason they take issue with transporting booze across state lines is because of the taxes, and isn't under that umbrella.

2. Nope, that's just more aeration! Go for it.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

zedprime posted:

PVC permeability is actually a lot like PET.

So you're ok with chemicals seeping into your beer then?

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Ehh, I just measured again. It's not going to fit in the fridge I was thinking about using. :bang:

Anyone have any suggestions for smaller "carboys" that might fit in a tall college fridge?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

nesbit37 posted:

Permeability describes transport across a membrane. Leaching chemicals is a dissolution process. Which OK technically PVC and PET have relatively high water permeability which increases the surface area dissolution can occur to within the plastic, assuming the dissolved products are permeable also.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

LaserWash posted:

Ehh, I just measured again. It's not going to fit in the fridge I was thinking about using. :bang:

Anyone have any suggestions for smaller "carboys" that might fit in a tall college fridge?

As many glass juice bottles as will fit. You may need to get creative with stoppers.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

nesbit37 posted:

If you had read his post, you would have seen that just above your response he explained why using them was a bad idea. It was because of chemicals.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

zedprime posted:

As many glass juice bottles as will fit. You may need to get creative with stoppers.

There's a 3-gallon Better Bottle size as well which might fit nicely.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

I'm brewing two batches of beer with some coworkers for a company event at a local U-Brew in Portland and I would like some recipe advice. We have decided on an Irish Red and an IPA, though exactly what sort of IPA is up in the air at this point. I made a batch of Red Rye Ale here before and it was pretty good, but not great. The brewers were generally quite knowledgeable and helpful and willing to hold your hand through the whole process.

The U-Brew has some really nice features not normally available to home brewers, like steam heated brew kettles and a giant-rear end plate chiller, but there are some things we have less control over. The biggest one is the fermentation room, which is kept at a rather toasty 69-70 degrees. That seems a bit high for many ale styles, but they use the room for both primary and secondary fermentation of all of their beers. Boils are 60 minutes. Yeasts are limited to Wyeast Smack Packs with no starters. And I'm pretty sure that there is no ability to use a hopback or to dry hop, which will affect how we want to make our IPA.

Given these limitations, does anyone have advice on recipes for an Irish Red or an IPA that would work well? Maybe general advice regardless of recipe? TIA.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

LaserWash posted:

Go to whole foods,and in the juice isle they sell 1gal glass jugs of juice (cider really) they are delicious,and they are shaped very similar to a carboy,or even a 'moonshine' jug.

I bought a $0.50 stopper and airlock from northern brewer,and I'm going to use them as experimental secondaries.

Use a #6 stopper. Hare are 2000 words on the subject

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 3, 2013

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

nesbit37 posted:

If your profile location is accurate and you still live in Drexel Hill I will be running a Mead making demo and a Mead sharing event at the Philadelphia Honey Fest this September: http://phillyhoneyfest.com/schedule/mead-event/

I am and thanks. Added to my calendar

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Carlo Rossi bottles are even better. They are 4 liters in size, so they give you a little more room than a one gallon cider jug. I think they might use a different size stopper though.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I'm thinking about starting an Old Ale for fall/winter about now. Anyone have criticisms on this recipe? I based it on some random recipes I found on homebrewtalk. http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/unnamed-old-ale

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

crazyfish posted:

I'm thinking about starting an Old Ale for fall/winter about now. Anyone have criticisms on this recipe? I based it on some random recipes I found on homebrewtalk. http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/unnamed-old-ale

Molasses in addition to turbinado feels like a lot of sugar tar in addition to some pretty dark crystal. I don't think it'd be a problem if you really like molasses since its such a large beer but something to think about because tar can go a long way.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
I've made literal molasses beer, it's fine.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

BerkerkLurk posted:

yeah I've made a few Mr. Beer kits myself as well. < See what I did there guys?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
On chiller chat, I just leave it in my bathroom and enjoy 72F temps during the spring. Now that summer is here I'm going to invest in a chest freezer. Current candidate is this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203547578?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=203547578&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=203547578

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BerkerkLurk posted:

I knew I was forgetting a patriotic drink for tomorrow.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

PBCrunch posted:

Carlo Rossi bottles are even better. They are 4 liters in size, so they give you a little more room than a one gallon cider jug. I think they might use a different size stopper though.

Rossi bottles own (I use a #6 stopper for them) but I picked up a bunch of these for Christmas presents and I much prefer the screw-on cap to dealing with a rubber bung:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/small-batch-1-gallon-fermenting-jug.html

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

fullroundaction posted:

Rossi bottles own (I use a #6 stopper for them) but I picked up a bunch of these for Christmas presents and I much prefer the screw-on cap to dealing with a rubber bung:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/small-batch-1-gallon-fermenting-jug.html

these look like the same thing, the only difference is the screw on cap, which i think you can get instead.

Mine was about that price anyway, and i had delicious cider in it i had to drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

illcendiary posted:

It can sit for quite a while, and any sloshing/oxygenation that happens before pitching is probably beneficial. As for "how long" just google "no chill brewing"