Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ
If it's a 40mpixel sensor with various rows/columns masked off (ignored?) for their new video AF system, wouldn't one expect that to cause moire in still frames? Dropping rows/columns (as opposed to downsampling each frame from the full sensor) is the cause of the moire you get in most DSLR video systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I guess every pixel simply set up such that one diode sees half the light from the microlens and the other diode sees the other half.

Stolen from dpreview:

quote:

Canon's schematic of its Dual Pixel CMOS AF sensor structure. The top layer illustrates the light-gathering microlenses and conventional Bayer-type colour filter array. The lower layer shows how each pixel is split into two photodiodes, left and right, which are coloured blue and red respectively. (Note that this does not indicate different colour sensitivity.)

I doubt that the kind of moire you describe will be a problem - they'll be combining the information from each diode, not throwing one away.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my god, I love NMA stuff but I've never seen them do a camera review before. That was even better than watching DigitalRev :allears:

And that Asian guy blogging with the DigitalRev sign over his computer...was that supposed to be Kai? He was a few hundred pounds and Kai's a stick!

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh my god, I love NMA stuff but I've never seen them do a camera review before. That was even better than watching DigitalRev :allears:

And that Asian guy blogging with the DigitalRev sign over his computer...was that supposed to be Kai? He was a few hundred pounds and Kai's a stick!

Is Kai the one who has named his wireless network Cuntflaps? The is pretty much the only thing I remember with there 5D M3 preview a while back. NMA got the tone right for DigRev I guess.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Call me when half the photodiodes have ND filters on them resulting in insane 20 stop dynamic range.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

doctor 7 posted:

Is Kai the one who has named his wireless network Cuntflaps?
Yep.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Amazon dropped the TS-E 24mm II to $1999 with an additional 2% back.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Ultra-Tilt-Shift-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001TDL2O0/

I'm very close to pulling the trigger at that price. :ohdear:

edit: Adorama's got the same price. Did new rebates kick in?

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 3, 2013

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Amazon dropped the TS-E 24mm II to $1999 with an additional 2% back.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Ultra-Tilt-Shift-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001TDL2O0/

I'm very close to pulling the trigger at that price. :ohdear:

edit: Adorama's got the same price. Did new rebates kick in?

Are you the Dorkroom's resident dentist? Man the gear you pick up gives me gear lust so bad.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

CarrotFlowers posted:

Are you the Dorkroom's resident dentist? Man the gear you pick up gives me gear lust so bad.

No, that's me.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CarrotFlowers posted:

No I'm just overpaid, not married yet, and I switched expensive hobbies from PC gaming to photography a few years back since L-glass holds its value a hell of a lot more than a video card that gets replaced in the market every 6 months. I don't end up with much time for hobbies anyway right now since I work ~50 hours a week and go to school full-time, but that won't stop me from buying toys. If it wasn't camera gear, it would probably be cars or something. At least my more artistically gifted friends get to borrow nice gear. I also frequently unload stuff at Crazy Gideon prices on SA-Mart, so I guess the community benefits. :)

I think my hobby really just boils down to being more interested in the technical side of the photography rather than the artistic side. That's not to say I don't appreciate photography as an art; I love going to exhibits and seeing all of the creative stuff people come up with online. I'm just not very good at it and don't have the time to fully invest myself in the hobby. I suppose that would classify me more as a camera enthusiast. If I had any less sense, I'd probably be one of those guys over at POTN listing all of the gear I own pretending anyone else even gives a drat.

I'd love for my current job's exposure to embedded systems to someday allow me to do something like ARM firmware development for Canon's camera bodies, but I believe all of that engineering is done in Japan. I know they have some engineering presence in New York, but I don't know in what capacity.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 3, 2013

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That was NMA's version of a typical neckbeard/DigitalRevTV YouTube commenter literally frothing at the mouth to post in a highly visible avenue for public discussion.

^^ Living the dream

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

I'd love for my current job's exposure to embedded systems to someday allow me to do something like ARM firmware development for Canon's camera bodies, but I believe all of that engineering is done in Japan. I know they have some engineering presence in New York, but I don't know in what capacity.

It may not actually be as hard/impossible as you think -- I did some CV stuff and had a presentation for Casio's camera division last year.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

tarepanda posted:

It may not actually be as hard/impossible as you think -- I did some CV stuff and had a presentation for Casio's camera division last year.
The "but I believe all of that engineering is done in Japan" is my polite way of saying that I don't want to go to Japan. :)

I did recently learn, however, that RED is located down the street from me so there's still hope that I could someday get a job doing work for a camera designer!

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 3, 2013

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

The "but I believe all of that engineering is done in Japan" is my polite way of saying that I don't want to go to Japan. :)

I did recently learn, however, that RED is located down the street from me so there's still hope that I could someday get a job doing work for a camera designer!

That's awesome you're able to do that, even if you aren't super into the actual picture taking aspect of photography. Keep me in mind when you decide to upgrade ;)

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
How much to just paint the red rings on the L lenses? pm me tia

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

doctor 7 posted:

Is Kai the one who has named his wireless network Cuntflaps? The is pretty much the only thing I remember with there 5D M3 preview a while back. NMA got the tone right for DigRev I guess.

http://youtu.be/y3nS6IAuAMc?t=14m22s

Amazing.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

No I'm just overpaid, not married yet

You are living the dream

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dren posted:

You are living the dream
At this point I have to spend more on the ring than all of my combined L-glass' value, right? That only seems right to me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

feigning interest posted:

How much to just paint the red rings on the L lenses? pm me tia

Just get a red rubber band, then you can swap it onto a new lens instead of wasting valuable money on all that paint.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

At this point I have to spend more on the ring than all of my combined L-glass' value, right? That only seems right to me.

A diamond that big could probably double as a lens!

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Fluorite crystal ring.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

DON'T DO IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suAhGfVr_4U

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I've been trying to work a joke along the lines that you should give her an engagement ring with a ruby on it, as a fiance with a red ring is the best fiance available. However hard I try, though, it just sounds like I am advocating premarital anal sex.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

spog posted:

I've been trying to work a joke along the lines that you should give her an engagement ring with a ruby on it, as a fiance with a red ring is the best fiance available. However hard I try, though, it just sounds like I am advocating premarital anal sex.

Why can't you do both?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
drat, $300 for the EOS-M and 22mm lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/CANONEOSM/Ntt/EOS-M+Mirrorless+Digital+Camera/N/0

Hard to pass up.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Can't comment on that (given I have no idea how much you have invested in glass), but that sounds just about as reasonable as DeBeers suggesting 2 months salary as a guideline for a ring. gently caress off DeBeers, my wife was smart not to expect a five figure ring purchase, I would have given her a five finger wave were that the expectation.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Until you remember that it's an eos-m at least.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

It's $300 on Amazon too... I'm thinking about it, although I have no real need for one. Apparently a new firmware was just released that addressed problems with focusing.

Edit: stupid question, the crop factor is 1.6, but is there anything additional when using the EF adapter? Would the 40mm pancake be 64mm or something even 'longer'?

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 3, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hopefully clearing them out in advance of a refresh that has the new hotness AF system from the 70D. :q:

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Hopefully clearing them out in advance of a refresh that has the new hotness AF system from the 70D. :q:

Yeah, it sure seems like that's what is coming. Canon could really shakeup the mirrorless arena with a great body and the new AF system.

Edit: And I ordered one. The new firmware has improved the AF, but even if it didn't it's still a great price. An APS-C sensor and a nice lens for $300? Even with slow AF that's a great deal. I could just use that camera as a dedicated studio camera where I don't have to worry about focusing.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 3, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Yeah, it sure seems like that's what is coming. Canon could really shakeup the mirrorless arena with a great body and the new AF system.
Just discontinue the Rebel line at that point if it ever happens.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The EOS-M looks awkward as gently caress for someone with big hands to shoot with.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Gambl0r posted:

It's $300 on Amazon too... I'm thinking about it, although I have no real need for one. Apparently a new firmware was just released that addressed problems with focusing.

Edit: stupid question, the crop factor is 1.6, but is there anything additional when using the EF adapter? Would the 40mm pancake be 64mm or something even 'longer'?

The crop factor wouldn't change. If it did then using a 40mm on a canon aps-c dslr would wind up with a crop factor other than 1.6!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gambl0r posted:

The adapter is glassless, so no.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Reading what you guys wrote about the TS-E 24mm has weakened my will. You guys are evil.

quote:

Order #4389 (Pending)
Order Date: Friday 05 July, 2013 Order Total: CAD$220.50

Products Base Final
1 x Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
Option's
*Rent : 14 Days with Damage Waiver
+ CAD$210.00

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
The one part of my transition to full frame I forgot to account for was a wide angle lens. Does anyone have any opinions on the 16-35 vs the 17-40? I don't really need the 2.8 aperture as this is mostly going to be for landscape work. Or there is also the 24-105 which is pretty similar to the focal range on the 15-85mm EFS it's meant to replace.

Thanks in advance.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
24 is pretty wide on full frame - more than 80 degrees angle of view. In any case you should have a 24-105 just because.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Seamonster posted:

24 is pretty wide on full frame - more than 80 degrees angle of view. In any case you should have a 24-105 just because.

This. It's a very versatile lens, wide enough, sharp enough, good enough IS.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

mclifford82 posted:

The one part of my transition to full frame I forgot to account for was a wide angle lens. Does anyone have any opinions on the 16-35 vs the 17-40? I don't really need the 2.8 aperture as this is mostly going to be for landscape work. Or there is also the 24-105 which is pretty similar to the focal range on the 15-85mm EFS it's meant to replace.

Thanks in advance.

The 24mm TS-E, duh.

Speaking of, I need to get rid of my 17-40....to the SA mart!!! *flies away*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

mclifford82 posted:

Thanks in advance.

Going along with this, my 17-40 met a horrible death last night... I need to replace it with a wide angle zoom. I love primes for my personal work but I need a zoom with autofocus for work. Is the Sigma 17-50 ok? I like that it's a 2.8 vs. a 4 since I do a lot of low light shooting but I hear the quality control on that lens isn't so good.

somnambulist posted:

The 24mm TS-E, duh.

Speaking of, I need to get rid of my 17-40....to the SA mart!!! *flies away*

I might need to jump on this.