Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

grendelspov posted:

It's a seat but not a bench. It would be the last seat filled and the cask is due north relative to the seat

-snip-

Who knows if the seating was the same in the 80's or if it has been expanded?

Nope, not a seat. The Lost Colony amphitheater underwent renovation in 1996-1997 during which its wooden benches were replaced with the fold-down seats visible in the picture you posted. (source) So during Preiss' time, there would have been no seats, only rows of benches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guuse
May 11, 2009

Urban Smurf posted:

Cask 9 Vancouver, Canada (crazy theory 7/2/13)

I've done too much reading tonight about Orthodox clergy Stanley Park. Just curious if you've considered that the gun fires at 21:00 and whether or not you've thought about using the Victoria monument and Burns statue for the "v" and "simple roots/rhapsodic man" bits at the end. I don't know if the trees were part of the Victoria fountain in 1982, but it seems that 42 steps would take you to Burns...

Also, does it concern you that this is (I think) the third cask that you're pretty sure is in the Pacific Northwest?

And since we can't get away from talking about cask 12 today, I think this example from the Harding monument is every bit as close to the bird as, say, the Seahawks logo. The beak still seems wrong, though. Maybe it's just a function of it being open, but the picture beak just looks very unbirdlike.

Typh posted:

This would be interesting, but I'm almost certain that blurry picture is just a lamp with legs, not legeater legs. Are you certain? Looking forward to pictures.

I'd really like to know this, too.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
It's good to point out those options. The last line is pointing to the Girl in Wetsuit and it seems to me it's saying we should have line of sight on her when we dig or before we count steps. The checkerboards draw me in the most because the shoulders bring me in to the shelter. I have the pet theory that the first line rolls into the find-spot somehow and "in the shadow" fits best with a shelter.

No, it doesn't concern me that I think three are in the Northwest. I look at it more like we have a latitude-bundle of 4, CA(SF)-OR-WA-VancBC, there's WI-IL-OH-TX in the middle latitude, and then the east with MA-NC-SC-LA.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 3, 2013

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
I've been browsing this thread silently and perked up when talk of Seattle arose.

Cask 12: Seattle

I'm just going to leave this here - this would be the Columbia Tower downtown Seattle (I'm looking at it right now out my window...)

Maybe those are rain drops falling on the picture/tower?

Also, that gull/hawk immediately reminded me of our Seahawks logo and the Native American art it was based off of.

Also, also: there's an Orthodox church up on Capitol Hill that could maybe fit that silhouette.

Also, also, also: The rectangle door panel piece could refer to the door in the Observatory in Volunteer Park:

Also, also, also, also: that flower could be a reference to the Conservatory (and botanical garden) in Volunteer Park

My vote is the cask is in Volunteer Park somewhere.

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 3, 2013

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
quote /= edit!

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 3, 2013

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Braincloud posted:

I'm just going to leave this here - this would be the Columbia Tower downtown Seattle (I'm looking at it right now out my window...)

Maybe those are rain drops falling on the picture/tower?

Wikipedia posted:

Construction of this building began in 1982 and finished in 1985.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Well, poo poo. Sounded like a good lead at the time! :(

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 3, 2013

Guuse
May 11, 2009

Urban Smurf posted:

It's good to point out those options. The last line is pointing to the Girl in Wetsuit and it seems to me it's saying we should have line of sight on her when we dig or before we count steps. The checkerboards draw me in the most because the shoulders bring me in to the shelter. I have the pet theory that the first line rolls into the find-spot somehow and "in the shadow" fits best with a shelter.

Is it even possible to have line of sight on the statue without being right on the shore? That's the way that it looks considering how heavily forested the park seems to be. So you're talking about going literally hundreds of yards from one of the conditions for identifying the dig site:

Look down
And see simple roots
In rhapsodic man's soil

To the other:

Or gaze north
Toward the isle of B.

Could those then both be true from the same spot?

It seems that both conditions would be true right at the base of the Burns statue. And given the proximity of Harding, Victoria (lower case v for the shape that the trees are arranged while she represents the capital) and Burns wouldn't that be the easiest solution?

And since we're using the cask 10 pic for this, what do you have in mind for the forth set of checkers that you've previously neglected in your argument? Note that it is a different color than the rest (that would reinforce that the other three do go together) and that it is maybe relevant that it is the set actually containing the gem.

Not trying to give you a hard time. It just seemed like you wanted some honest feedback and I actually had fun reading up on Stanley Park this evening. For what it's worth, I still think the cask 10 pic goes with Montreal.

Also, my theory largely rides on the trees present as part of the Victoria monument were there in 1982. Looking at pictures they clearly weren't at some point in time. Given that this is actually a pretty open spot, you can even take your "in the shadow" theory to mean going around behind the statue to it's north side for the actual digging place.

Guuse fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 3, 2013

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Pseudohog posted:

I posted an idea about the 'hard words' line a few pages back, but it was just before a lengthy argument so it might have gotten passed over. Reposting it while people are still on the subject.

Here's a random off-the-wall suggestion - could this possibly be referring to Noah Webster, of the dictionary? That's somewhere you'd find hard words, and as far as I can tell from some brief research, during the 80s Webster's looks to have been published in three volumes (from Wikipedia - "Following the purchase of Merriam-Webster by Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc. in 1964, a three-volume version was issued for many years as a supplement to the encyclopaedia.")

Webster moved to New York in 1793 - another chunk from Wikipedia:

There's a Webster Hall in Manhattan, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with him except the name.

No idea if this is of any use to anyone, but it might be a new angle to think about!
[/quote]

My first thought was Roget (for Roget's Thesaurus), but I can't find a connection between Peter Mark Roget and anywhere in North America.

I also find the "Indies" refering to West or East Indies, as others have noted, more probable - I've never heard native americans refered to as "indies".

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
The whole "Isle of B" being the Girl in the Wetsuit sounds like a stretch to me. Who would call that the Isle of B?

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011
I'm sure it's been mentioned before but we're at 70 something pages and I don't want to wear out my scroll wheel; the woman's cape in cask 10 is the outline of Wisconsin (particularly note the upper right little jagged bit): that's further evidence for Milwaukee.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
I found some more evidence to support my battery park theory for cask 12: The Alexander Hamilton US Customs house is across the street from Battery Park, and Alexander Hamilton was born in the West Indies. The Customs house also happens to have been built on the site of the old Fort Amsterdam, constructed by the Dutch West India Company in 1625.

quote:

Although the sign
Nearby
Speaks of Indies native
The natives still speak
Of him of Hard word in 3 Vols.

So the signs nearby to Battery park make a lot of references to an Indies native (Hamilton) and the natives still speak of him of hard word in 3 volumes (Melville).

Another thing I noticed is in the Roanoke Island puzzle, Preiss made a reference to Frank Baum and the Wizard of Oz. So if he's using literary clues in one puzzle, he is probably using them in others.

If we could just figure out how an Isle of B fits into battery park, we would be all but there. Also I don't like that Hard is capitalized, it could be a surname. Anybody have any thoughts?

e: oh yeah also the old world trade centers (grey giant) were very close to battery park, just a few blocks. So battery park was in their shadow in 1982.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 3, 2013

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Urban Smurf posted:

Cask 9 Vancouver, Canada (crazy theory 7/2/13)

I explored some of the visuals to this in my previous cask 9 posts. Siwash Rock looks like the collar outline. I haven't found an exact match, but the lines inside the collar area that outline his neck look like they fit the main road pipeline and the small part that branches into the parking lot on the way to the Miniature railway. His hands are together and may be indicating prayer. The Trail and Shore book of poems and history on Stanley Park describes the custom of "the morning's sermon" as the reference for playing checkers on Sundays since the park had a rule allowing no other games to be played on Sundays. He has three distinct checkered areas on his robe and there are exactly three giant checkerboards. His shoulders fit the perspective of looking at the shelter above the checkerboards and bleachers as seen from the roadway. I'd call that a 99% match. I'm currently feeling sure of the Stanley Park location but I have to say I can't see where exactly to stand and which direction to count steps to the spot. I'm confused on whether "east steps" are different than "steps east", since in a different context, such as when talking about wind direction, an "east wind" is actually blowing in west.

Verse 10:

It looks like Preiss simply found a way to put as many tourist markers from the map into his image and verse. I scanned my 1976 map of Stanley Park, not much has changed, except I don't think current maps mention the checkerboards( http://s11.photobucket.com/user/erexere/media/1976MapSP.jpg.html ).

In the shadow
In the shadows, poem by Pauline Johnson, Native Indian poet whom has the only gravestone in Stanley Park.

Of the grey giant
The Hollow Tree, distinctive for being the oldest and biggest tree, although it's a mere shadow of it's former self.

Find the arm that
Extends over the slender path
Lumberman's Arch, a section of tree extends over a path smaller than the main path which circles around Stanley Park.

In summer
You'll often hear a whirring sound
Miniature Train, operates only in the summer and goes “around in circles”.

Cars abound
Although the sign
Nearby
Speaks of Indies native
The natives still speak
Harding Monument, a president's speech is honored by Kiwanis (native named organization: “[Harding] spoke words that are worthy of record in lasting granite.” (see page 73 for full quote)

Take twice as many east steps as the hour
Or more
Nine O'Clock Gun, = 18 steps+

From the middle of one branch
Of the v
Look down
And see simple roots
In rhapsodic man's soil
Checkerboards, checkerboards (one in the center with two branching off at angles forming a V). The pieces for these boards are kept in a nearby storage closet and were made from cross sections of old-fashioned irrigation pipe made of wood, and filled with resin. Like roots are for bringing water and nutrients from the soil to feed plantlife, these pieces were repurposed from pipes used to move water.

Or gaze north
Toward the isle of B.
Girl in Wetsuit Gaze at bronze statue on a small isle of rock to the north of Stanley Park. Unveiled in 1972, she was inspired by the famous Dutch Copenhagen mermaid and commissioned by Douglas Brown. In the Chicago example, the first letter hints were attached to minor elements of the landscape, Mozart and Beethoven etched into a wall, and Lincoln's statue. The Girl in Wetsuit (Bikini) is similar to the Chicago setup. The plaque for this landmark doesn't have the name of Douglas Brown on it. The only way I think a person would know about Douglas Brown is if they went to the Vancouver Maritime Museum where sits the Gateway to the Northwest Passage (square shaped sculpture that fits around the legeater). There a person might come across the fact that the Vancouver Harbor Improvements Society was created by Douglas Brown for the purpose of making the Girl in Wetsuit sculpture.

Maybe this area around the checkerboards fits the rough shape of the hands turned upside down (not flipped, just turn your book upside down, the line along the forefinger looks unnatural,

This is an elaborate troll right? Your whole presence in this thread?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Another argument for the Battery Park theory: Castle Garden, the precursor to Ellis Island, is in Battery Park- this would fit in really well with the immigration theme (especially if Preiss couldn't get access to Ellis Island)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Garden

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
This is across the street from Battery Park in the Ann Seton Shrine.

Still no luck on isle of B though.

Also my girlfriend is pretty interested in the Roanoke island puzzle and I think we're gonna go there and check out the elizabethan gardens when we have some time off week after next.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."

Nocheez posted:

The whole "Isle of B" being the Girl in the Wetsuit sounds like a stretch to me. Who would call that the Isle of B?

You read the profile on the sculpture? Douglas Brown went to great lengths to have the piece made and installed.

Preiss refers to a statue by saying "where L sits". Lincoln was one option. Its conceivable to reference the name of the artist or the name of the person who commissioned it or whom the piece is about. We honor things in different ways. The new arena at the univeristy is called the Mathew Knight. Preiss style might call it the arena of O, or the arena of K. A local would at least have a chance to figute it out. I'm not a Vancouver local so I can't say if Isle of B is a stretch. I like the loose Dannish connection and that its a statue of something one would gaze at, since its a girl in a bikini.

Guuse, I never looked the Burns statue before. I think its a great thing to consider. I'm glad ypu took some time to be critical of my work in a mature way. I see the Montreal version of things as worth consideration too. I had originally thought the football shape of the man's head was a play on the headless statue of St. Dennis where he looks like he's holding a football. The Notre Dame was a cool idea but I couldn't land on any dig dirt ideas.

Any Vancouver locals in this forum care to go for a closer look?

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 3, 2013

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Roanoke

Cosmik Debris posted:

Also my girlfriend is pretty interested in the Roanoke island puzzle and I think we're gonna go there and check out the elizabethan gardens when we have some time off week after next.

We will all love you if you take photos of the area for us. Especially anywhere around the gate that leads to the beach and the bench.

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011
I added some quick info on The Vanishing, including the specific locations mentioned there, reproduced below for those too lazy to click the link. There are other, more vague references, such as "New World Southwest" and "Big Sea Water" but these are specifically spelled out.

• New Jersey
  • Vancouver Island
  • Massachusetts
  • Manhattan Island
  • Florida
  • Fountain of Youth

Subliminal Sauce
Apr 6, 2010

Spreading freedom and spreading it thick; that's just a thing us right-wing nutjobs do!

Konar posted:

This is an elaborate troll right? Your whole presence in this thread?

Smurf is doing more work in this thread than Preiss did burying the casks and writing the book. And the correct word is tesseract, I believe.
He thinks outside of the tesseract.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Nocheez posted:

Just for reference, if you're on the West side of Stanley Park, you can look WNW to Bowen Island, a fairly large and obvious island a few kilometers away. It's definitely more West than it is North, though.

If we were to stick with Vancouver, another possibility might be Beaver Lake in Stanley Park which has a couple of small islands in it.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Cask 12
While I had originally discounted Battery Park because of the timing problem with the Native American museum, it seems like there are plenty of other reasonable clues that point there.

I think the East Coast memorial may have been mentioned before. It was installed in 1963.

It has this:

which has a reasonable similarity to our bird/gull

and also these:

which bear a decent likeness to the monolith figure due to the inset middle portion.

e: actually, looking closely at the painting again, both of those resemblances are pretty flimsy.

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 3, 2013

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

fishtobaskets posted:

Cask 12
While I had originally discounted Battery Park because of the timing problem with the Native American museum, it seems like there are plenty of other reasonable clues that point there.

I think the East Coast memorial may have been mentioned before. It was installed in 1963.

It has this:

which has a reasonable similarity to our bird/gull

and also these:

which bear a decent likeness to the monolith figure due to the inset middle portion.

e: actually, looking closely at the painting again, both of those resemblances are pretty flimsy.

I dunno man the eagle is pretty close IMO. Also the native american museum ended up not mattering since its the old Alexander Hamilton customs house building, and he's an indies native, which is what the verse mentions, not Indians or native Indians.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Here's a list of monuments in Battery Park:

http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/batterypark/monuments/page/1

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I'm a little surprised no one's considered the possibility that the term Indies native might also be referring to the East Indies.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

I'm sure it occurred to everyone, but who from the East Indies has anything to do with New York?

blurradial
Jun 17, 2013
I want to blow everyone's minds for a moment, if you don't mind. My sentimental favorite for winner of a southern foot to start digging in Milwaukee is in Juneau Park. My personal wild fantasy is that "You'll see a letter from the country of wonderstone's hearth" refers to this:

back-leif by Blur Radial, on Flickr

Which are runic letters from Scandavia, where Leif Ericson was born. OK, I'll shut up about him now.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Ha, that exact statue sits in Charlesgate Park in boston.

edit: except ours is in a little boat :smug:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

blurradial posted:

I want to blow everyone's minds for a moment, if you don't mind. My sentimental favorite for winner of a southern foot to start digging in Milwaukee is in Juneau Park. My personal wild fantasy is that "You'll see a letter from the country of wonderstone's hearth" refers to this:

back-leif by Blur Radial, on Flickr

Which are runic letters from Scandavia, where Leif Ericson was born. OK, I'll shut up about him now.

The book does take the time to mention a Scandinavian fairy named "Ruddy Alf" who was an early voyager to the West. It seems to be an obvious reference to Eric the Red, so it would not be surprising if his son was involved in a solution somewhere.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

I don't know that I've said it here, but I think it is quite clear based on all we have inferred that the Roanoke Island cask is around the theater somewhere. I am absolutely unconvinced by the bench theory. I too am hoping to find some time this summer to go check it out, but I really don't know that I'll be able to.

edit: That breastplate section looks nothing like the seating area though.

joshtothemaxx fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 3, 2013

blurradial
Jun 17, 2013

xie posted:

And yours is the original, too. Ours was made later the same year and shipped to MKE, but so acknowledged as a 'replica'.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Cask 10

Blurradial, I've never seen anyone have any serious interest in the Leif statue in Milwaukee, rather I haven't seen any reasoning to draw a conclusion for it's involvement. I haven't had any success working with the lines "You'll see a letter from the country / Of wonderstone's hearth", but maybe they do have something to do with Leif.

For the most part, people have looked for a literal wonderstone connection. There might be a twist to the line that would give a slightly different angle. Instead of wonderstone + hearth, it could be wonder + hearthstone. Wonder: to be curious, Hearthstone: a flat stone used in a hearth. The meaning then could be "of curiosity about something flat". I read that Leif Ericcson and his men believed the world was flat and he explored it out of curiosity.

The conventional understanding is that a letter, in terms of a message being mailed, is something sent to an intended recipient. It could be the runes, literal letters of a country, or it could be Leif, like a letter sent from his country and received by America (Vinland). So the two lines together could be essentially his statue.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I didn't notice anything that might be relevant in that list of Battery Park monuments, but I did see this spiral and these weird squares on Google Maps, and I don't think they were in the list of monuments. Does anyone have any idea what they are?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Monkey Man posted:

I didn't notice anything that might be relevant in that list of Battery Park monuments, but I did see this spiral and these weird squares on Google Maps, and I don't think they were in the list of monuments. Does anyone have any idea what they are?

The spiral seems to be a fountain/water jets for kids to play in:

Not sure about the square blocks yet.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

blurradial posted:

I want to blow everyone's minds for a moment, if you don't mind.

I posted a picture of those a few dozen pages back. From my memory, the letters spell out "Leif, Son of Erik the Red" or something to that effect. I also noticed what looked like a little dig spot on the Eastern foot and my heart skipped a beat. Well, until I realized it was on the wrong side.

edit: Just to recap... some stuff I took pics of: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97715723@N04/with/9079426799/

crashdome fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 3, 2013

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

So of all the monuments in Battery Park, there's exactly one depicting a person with an outstretched hand:

Giovanni Da Verranzano monument in Battery Park

(The Immigrants Monument, [featuring an outstretched hand] was not there in 1982)

This is where its located:

There's a V in the slender path nearby...X marks the spot?

Isle of B could also refer to battery park itself, or some feature of battery park that's not there anymore, like a fountain.

quote:

In the shadow
Of the grey giant
World trade center, or any tall building, or the statue of liberty

quote:

Find the arm that
Extends over the slender path
Giovanni da Verranzano

quote:

In summer
You'll often hear a whirring sound
This probably refers to a fan of some kind. Not 100% sure about this

quote:

Cars abound
It's new york heavy traffic

quote:

Although the sign
Nearby
Speaks of Indies native
Alexander Hamilton Customs House

quote:

The natives still speak
Herman Melville, Moby Dick published in 3 volumes. There's also a famous quote attributed to Alexander hamilton about hard words, so it may be redundant. It could be on the actual building itself. (Hamiltons qoute was as follows: “Hard words are very rarely useful. Real firmness is good for every thing. Strut is good for nothing."

quote:

Take twice as many east steps as the hour
Or more
From the middle of one branch
Of the v
Look down
And see simple roots
In rhapsodic man's soil
Or gaze north
Toward the isle of B.

So I think it might be there, unless someone can offer a better fit for a few of the clues. Except for the Isle of B, which only sort of fits, every other part of the verse fits for the most part.

e: it might be a few paces north of where I put the X, he said "from the middle of one branch of the V" so it wouldn't be at the crux of the V.
double edit: Hope I'm not approaching Urban Smurf levels here, I just can't think of anything in new york that fits better than battery park.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 4, 2013

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I'd like to see more of the visual elements of the picture accounted for. The verse interpretation seems as good as anything else, though.

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

Cosmik Debris posted:

A plausible theory

I like this interpretation. What about the 'stained glass'? And as for the 'middle of one branch of the v' I kind of feel like it's not a fork in a path.. Do people call that a 'v'? And the whole middle of one branch thing is worded oddly. And the use of lower case?

Edit: never mind on the glass, I re-read your post.

Double-edit: I don't see any stained glass on the shrine in any GIS results?

Very Nice Eraser fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 4, 2013

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Very Nice Eraser posted:

Double-edit: I don't see any stained glass on the shrine in any GIS results?

Click the ? On my name and check for one of my posts earlier on the page. I included a picture of it. Sorry I'm on my phone.

Dr. Bit
Jun 14, 2005

xie posted:

No loving way! Well, if anything, I've had a blast in this thread learning about my city. I know all sorts of random poo poo about it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grendelspov
Jun 12, 2008

Cask #3, Roanoke Island

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Nope, not a seat. The Lost Colony amphitheater underwent renovation in 1996-1997 during which its wooden benches were replaced with the fold-down seats visible in the picture you posted. (source) So during Preiss' time, there would have been no seats, only rows of benches.

Good catch, I was hoping the current seating was older. There appears to be soil between the concrete rows (bulkheads?). So, don't you think it could have been placed there and subsequently destroyed during renovation? That would suck. Either way, I think I prefer that area of the park as the current or initial location (vs. the beach). The fort site might be a good contender, too.

joshtothemaxx posted:

I don't know that I've said it here, but I think it is quite clear based on all we have inferred that the Roanoke Island cask is around the theater somewhere. I am absolutely unconvinced by the bench theory. I too am hoping to find some time this summer to go check it out, but I really don't know that I'll be able to.

edit: That breastplate section looks nothing like the seating area though.

Yeah, that one's a stretch.

grendelspov fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 4, 2013