Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Spacebump posted:

The Gameboy version of Donkey Kong has got to be one of the best aged titles for that system.

Gameboy Kid Icarus, available on the 3DS VC, is really good also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, I've never played a main series Shin Megami Tensei game.

I enjoyed some spinoff games: Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden, DemiKids.

I'm planning on buying SMT4, but is Soul Hackers worth picking up in the meantime?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Annath posted:

I'm planning on buying SMT4, but is Soul Hackers worth picking up in the meantime?

It's good, but keep in mind that it is also a only somewhat improved version of a 15 year old game, so it's definitely going to feel pretty dated.

It'll be harder than you're used to because P3 and P4 are pretty easy as far as Megaten games go, but it's still easier than SMT4.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Annath posted:

Given that SMT4 is launching in 2 weeks, probably not. But that said, Soul Hacker (as dated as it is) is probably the easiest introduction to classic SMT, so if you can get a hold of it, go for it.

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

Amppelix posted:

It also gives you the opportunity to get some nice items like the master sword (which you can subsequently upgrade to the biggoron's sword by going back to the first game).

The Biggoron Sword and Master Sword are actually 2 separate items. The Biggoron Sword is larger and takes both slots while the Master Sword only needs one slot and fires beams at full hearts.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

gameface posted:

The Biggoron Sword and Master Sword are actually 2 separate items. The Biggoron Sword is larger and takes both slots while the Master Sword only needs one slot and fires beams at full hearts.

I believe that there is a sword in between the standard and the Master Sword, the Noble's Sword. That is the one that you can get without doing the linking.

You can't upgrade arrows though, right? That was only in Minish Cap?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There are no arrows in the Oracle Games! Instead you have two different Seed launching weapons.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Before they were known as the Oracle series, weren't they called Seed of something-or-another?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Annath posted:

I believe that there is a sword in between the standard and the Master Sword, the Noble's Sword. That is the one that you can get without doing the linking.

I find it nice cool to get the Noble Sword via password in Seasons (As your sword only upgrades one level, you can't skip to the Master Sword) and get the Master Sword via the Lost Woods, just like the good old days! That and Seasons doesn't let you normally get the Noble Sword until you're on the way to level 6, which is painfully late seeing as its the more combat oriented game.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Cyra posted:

Before they were known as the Oracle series, weren't they called Seed of something-or-another?

the third canceled game was going to be called the Seed of Courage

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Just got Project X Zone. Sequel for Namco X Capcom out of nowhere! I liked the first one until it got insanely sloggy near the end (Why yes I do want to play multiple 2+ hour fights in a row oh wait maybe I don't), so hopefully this one won't be quite as bad. You get Sanger Zonvolt and Frank West in this one so I mean...it has that.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

goldjas posted:

Just got Project X Zone. Sequel for Namco X Capcom out of nowhere! I liked the first one until it got insanely sloggy near the end (Why yes I do want to play multiple 2+ hour fights in a row oh wait maybe I don't), so hopefully this one won't be quite as bad.

You haven't been paying attention.

I played the demo ("Demo A" I guess) last night, and I kind of like the juggling mechanic, but not enough to play through it twice and try to beat that demon lady. Am I intended to wipe on that map or am I just terrible?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sarchasm posted:

You haven't been paying attention.

I played the demo ("Demo A" I guess) last night, and I kind of like the juggling mechanic, but not enough to play through it twice and try to beat that demon lady. Am I intended to wipe on that map or am I just terrible?

I'm terrible at strategy games and I never had any trouble with the demo and I've been having a decent enough time with the full game. So I guess it's you.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo Japan just uploaded a mini-Direct video showcasing some new/upcoming eShop stuff, including:

Denpa Men 3 (3DS) - new features include customisable homes for your Denpa Men, transforms/summons, lots of other stuff I've already forgotten

A Chibi Robo AR game! (3DS) - seem to be more of a mini-game collection than a real Chibi Robo game, but it does look neat. Out on the JP eShop now, 1500yen, there's also a demo. (They also showed a few pieces of Chibi Robo-themed merch for some reason. EDIT: they're part of a "nostalgia contest" giveaway)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuGc4UmkeFE

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 3, 2013

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm terrible at strategy games and I never had any trouble with the demo and I've been having a decent enough time with the full game. So I guess it's you.

Pbbbt.

Any idea what I was doing wrong? I was juggling and using Solo attacks as finishers, and given the opportunity I tended to go for the Full Defense option on the enemy turns.

I finished XCOM for Chrissakes, I will not be beaten by an SRPG that prominently features Ulala.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Sarchasm posted:

I tended to go for the Full Defense option on the enemy turns.

Problem #1. Never go full defense. Either take the hit (+5 XP if you do nothing) or counter if you're countering with the 2nd Sakura Taisen squad because they have two counters during the enemy turn and can make up the XP.

Also try to get as many Cross hits as possible because you get bonus XP for long combos.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If you have solos and supports, use them at the same time as one of your normal attacks. If you have two or more attacks hitting at once, you'll lock the enemy at their current height, which is insanely useful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly, at this point I'm sort of tempted to make a thread for PXZ considering it seems to be getting more questions than I expected. My only problem is that I think I'd be too negative to it in the OP. :smith:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly, at this point I'm sort of tempted to make a thread for PXZ considering it seems to be getting more questions than I expected. My only problem is that I think I'd be too negative to it in the OP. :smith:

Good idea, probably also mentioned the previous game, Namco X Capcom as well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
If the thread is made I think the person making it should have a decent knowledge of most of the characters. I would do it but I am a lovely writer and would make a horrible op.

Plus I love the game. It's not perfect but as most of the reviews seem to be painting it it's a solid 8 game. Here's hoping it does well over here and that we get a sequel with even more improved mechanics. (As it's a major step up from NxC. That or just give Reiji and Xiaomu their own game. I would be happy with ether.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

If the thread is made I think the person making it should have a decent knowledge of most of the characters. I would do it but I am a lovely writer and would make a horrible op.

Plus I love the game. It's not perfect but as most of the reviews seem to be painting it it's a solid 8 game. Here's hoping it does well over here and that we get a sequel with even more improved mechanics. (As it's a major step up from NxC. That or just give Reiji and Xiaomu their own game. I would be happy with ether.

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit I know every single character except the loving catgirl from Yumeria. I also know all the previous games because I am the world's biggest dork. :smith:

Basically the biggest problem is that I just don't think it's a great game and any OP I wrote would reflect that, which probably isn't the best way to get people to buy the weird obscure hyper-anime game from Japantown.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ImpAtom posted:

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit I know every single character except the loving catgirl from Yumeria. I also know all the previous games because I am the world's biggest dork. :smith:

I stumbled up the Yumeria anime years ago. So I just barely recognized Neneko though I could not remember from were until I looked her up.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Basically the biggest problem is that I just don't think it's a great game and any OP I wrote would reflect that, which probably isn't the best way to get people to buy the weird obscure hyper-anime game from Japantown.

I'd do if I weren't lazy, since I'm much the same way and actually have been insanely enjoying it even though the missions are starting to take hours.

I can't believe they made me chase down Stehoney goblins.

Do they put any characters from Endless Frontier 2 in? That's the only one I haven't really played (well, and Namco X Capcom, but that was more on the side of giving up after a few hours because the translation patch I found was atrocious).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

I'd do if I weren't lazy, since I'm much the same way and actually have been insanely enjoying it even though the missions are starting to take hours.

I can't believe they made me chase down Stehoney goblins.

Do they put any characters from Endless Frontier 2 in? That's the only one I haven't really played (well, and Namco X Capcom, but that was more on the side of giving up after a few hours because the translation patch I found was atrocious).

No, there's a few references to EXCEED but the only playables showed up in EF1.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I stumbled up the Yumeria anime years ago. So I just barely recognized Neneko though I could not remember from were until I looked her up.

Wow if you're going to something like Yumeria to flesh out your roster then things are really getting bad.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am guessing one of the references is why Reiji is willing to work with Saya with little issue despite hating her in NxC and Endless Frontier. I have not played exceed but I remember reading something about it from the ending were Saya says she is up to something called the 100 Wombs project. I have yet to beat Project x Zone but I do want to know if this was mentioned.

njsykora posted:

Wow if you're going to something like Yumeria to flesh out your roster then things are really getting bad.

Considering they could have brought someone from the Soul Series in, it was not that bad they just wanted Neneko in for some reason.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

njsykora posted:

It's actually a pretty deep roster with very notable characters, the cat girl is just there for some reason as a...prophet thing?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

njsykora posted:

She's a solo character and she's quite a fun, happy character, so I'm totally fine with Neneko being around.

But really the Sega side suffered the most due to most of the characters not being well known outside of Japan (Resonance of Fate or hell even Sakura Wars), Capcom's stuff was all really recognizable and Namco was pretty good outside of the Endless Frontier being a little obscure and the aforementioned Yumeria.

The next time something like this happens we totally need Hornet as a character if Sega is involved.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I want the Prince of All Cosmos as a support. Do this thing for me. Maybe also some Jet Set Radio, I don't know.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

But really the Sega side suffered the most due to most of the characters not being well known outside of Japan

On the flip side: Ulala.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

She's a solo character and she's quite a fun, happy character, so I'm totally fine with Neneko being around.

But really the Sega side suffered the most due to most of the characters not being well known outside of Japan (Resonance of Fate or hell even Sakura Wars), Capcom's stuff was all really recognizable and Namco was pretty good outside of the Endless Frontier being a little obscure and the aforementioned Yumeria.

The next time something like this happens we totally need Hornet as a character if Sega is involved.

Yeah my friend is a big time Sega fan and I think part of why he didn't hop on it day one is because beyond a few characters most of Sega's stuff is lacking American visibility. That being said if this game accomplished anything it's made me want to play Resonance of Fate due to their enemy designs.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

ImpAtom posted:

I'm sure if you went ahead and made the thread, then those of us who have more of a positive opinion of the game (or at least less negative) can chime in afterwards. I don't want to make the thread myself though because I'm not super knowledgeable about the series as a whole and only really know stuff about like 3/4s of the characters at most.

Commissar Ken posted:

Yeah my friend is a big time Sega fan and I think part of why he didn't hop on it day one is because beyond a few characters most of Sega's stuff is lacking American visibility. That being said if this game accomplished anything it's made me want to play Resonance of Fate due to their enemy designs.

Resonance of Fate is a lot of fun gameplay-wise. The story is sorta nonsensical but these things happen I guess.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Resonance of Fate is a lot of fun gameplay-wise. The story is sorta nonsensical but these things happen I guess.

I have seen quite a few people that are interested in RoF just because of Project x Zone

Here is some Random game play I found of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWZrG08xVJ0

lots of jumping.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Finally got annoyed about the AU Club Nintendo website and its general lack of content to call up Nintendo and chat to customer service:

*amazingly, it has local customer service (hell, the number isn't even a 1300 or 1800 number, it's just a normal phone number. Like it's being run out of someone's garage...)
*The guy I talked to sympathised that the site was terrible compared to the rest of the world.
*They basically just get whatever crap is left over from other territories.
*The marketing people apparently have a budget, although you wouldn't know it from the complete dearth of advertising or promotion.
*Internal staff have regularly pushed this but no change has occured.
*The guy confirmed that even his friends and family have no idea what a WiiU is.
*Nintendo Australia is a complete two-bit operation that doesn't give a gently caress about anything.
*The marketing department handwaves requests for cooler prizes like statues etc. by saying that the paint wouldn't pass customs or some poo poo.
*The marketing department hasn't even considered the idea of using Stars to trade in for points on the various eStores.

Sigh. I knew they'd be bad but that was something else. The guy I talked to was very nice and sympathetic but obviously had heard a lot of people complaining about the Club. He stressed that he'd push this to his manager, but was pretty forlorn about it having any effect :(.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo Australia takes most of their cues from NOE these days, I don't think they really have much control over how Club Nintendo or anything else is run. I mean, that recent 3DS promotion they did required people to send them a picture of their receipt as proof of purchase, for christ's sake.

The part that bugs me about CN in particular is that they're literally shipping the AU prizes from the UK warehouse now, but our catalogue is still missing 80% of the EU prizes, just because.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I love how many of the images on the website are just terrible. Hell, on Chrome for me the main picture on the landing screen doesn't load, and the CN logo on the login page is extremely jaggy and crap looking. Very professional, guys :golfclap:

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo Australia takes most of their cues from NOE these days, I don't think they really have much control over how Club Nintendo or anything else is run. I mean, that recent 3DS promotion they did required people to send them a picture of their receipt as proof of purchase, for christ's sake.

And do note, he does mean a 3DS promotion, and not 3DSXL. The offer specifically excludes the 3DSXL.

I just don't understand that incompetent. :sigh:

jazzhandzzz
Feb 3, 2011
Nintendo, put more games on the Wii U eshop!!! I want to give you my money. Let me give you my money.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

That's what I don't get. I WANT TO GIVE YOU MONEY. I have a decent disposable income, and will buy things I probably won't even get a chance to play just because I see them on sale. Hell, this morning I bought Baldur's Gate on Steam just because it was $5. I don't have a clue when I'll get a chance to play it. LET ME PAY YOU MONEY!

e: also Nin:Aus, why do you not have an online way to contact support. Welcome to the 90s!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo Japan just uploaded a mini-Direct video showcasing some new/upcoming eShop stuff, including:

Denpa Men 3 (3DS) - new features include customisable homes for your Denpa Men, transforms/summons, lots of other stuff I've already forgotten

A Chibi Robo AR game! (3DS) - seem to be more of a mini-game collection than a real Chibi Robo game, but it does look neat. Out on the JP eShop now, 1500yen, there's also a demo. (They also showed a few pieces of Chibi Robo-themed merch for some reason. EDIT: they're part of a "nostalgia contest" giveaway)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuGc4UmkeFE
Yesssss an new Denpa Men game and holy poo poo a new Chibi-Robo game.
Hopefully that being an eShop game gives it a chance of being localised unlike the second DS game which only came out in Japan.