Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Wow, really? Alright, so I've editted that bit again to expand on it as best as I can. Hopefully it's a lot clearer and reads better now. While I was at it, I also added an extra bit of in-game dialogue to make it clearer what the game wants you to do.

This flows way better! Honestly, I felt like a big nit-picking jerk saying that, but it's never a good idea to let bad habits fester. And this isn't to say you can't do wacky stylistic flights of fancy, Quovak-style, just that we need a foundation to understand what's going on in the first place. I'm excited to see my favorite character destroy FFIV! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFarterburgr
Feb 16, 2008

"Godspeed you poor sons of bitches."

slowbeef posted:

Well, here's the deal.

The Sandcastle - and I know some people do get confused with this - isn't mandatory prior to posting an LP. You've asked for feedback, and some people here don't like the general style.

If you think all your other ducks are in a row, and your thread's got worthwhile appeal, there's nothing wrong with rolling the dice and posting it. I personally don't have strong opinions toward "fuckaround group-style LPs" so if you think you'll still have an audience, feel free to do like the Tippin 40's or the Soda Pop Boys, make your thread, and see where the chips fall. Then if you do get a strong enough following, you can make the decision as far as moving forward.

You might get one or two people replying "uh, great, another one of these" but if it's entertaining, well, it is.

Of course, there's also the possibility that you're just terrible, but since I can't watch your video right now (at work late), I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks, slowbeef. You're right that I asked for feedback, and I value the actionable advice I've gotten. I guess I just debate the need to be checking a box when deciding on a game to play, is all.

Spiffo posted:

I'm someone who runs with a real-life group of two men and two women as well, so I know what you mean. Thing is, with a group that large you have to take extra care to keep everybody on track.

Gameplay-wise, you've got some guy who doesn't really know what he's doing wandering around, and all I could think was "get on with it!" (this isn't helped by the fact that it takes over five minutes to get to any game at all). I want to say this is a weakness of someone playing blind, but it's a Mario game. You run right and jump on stuff and find the goal. In such a story-absent game, playing blind doesn't really bring anything to the table.

Commentary-wise, it's also a bit of a mess, both from the blind thing AND from the group thing. You guys aren't saying anything interesting about the game or anything in it, but are instead either A) shouting and telling the player what to do (hit that block, go back and grab that flower), B) talking over each other. Sometimes that one girl goes "BOOP" or sings along to the music instead.

Duder almost started something interesting talking about the art style, but nobody bit the hook and fleshed it out, so the commentary went back to yelling at the guy playing. I admit that it's not always easy to fill the space with interesting or informative commentary, but in this case you guys missed the boat in favor of yelling "Get the flower". You guys had another kind of funny bit about "how to Yoshis reproduce?" that y'all stumbled over a bit because of people trying to talk at the same time. And of course when you get hit the conversation's gotta stop to shout a bit more.

That's what I mean when I ask "what are you guys bringing to the table?" Are you playing the game particularly well? Are you talking about anything interesting, either in-game (enemies, obstacles, etc) or out-of-game (yoshi reproduction, other funny poo poo?) As it is, the commentary is kind of a mess of people talking over each other and having to explain basic game mechanics to the guy.

The phrase "we're unique because our group has a unique composition and high-energy style, and our approach to the game is more casual" is kind of an empty statement that every YouTuber can use to defend just hitting record and giving it a go. Whereas "In the end, our decision was that a rerecording would look better and end more cleanly, but it would be not nearly as funny or entertaining, leading to an overall net loss in quality" sounds pretty much like a cop-out to avoid doing it again, since the commentary wasn't really funny or entertaining to people outside your group, and was mostly a bunch of people shouting over each other.

Group commentary owns. My group ain't perfect, but we have to at least try to think about
"What kind of things are going to be covered in this episode?" ie: planning where to start and stop the episode
"Are there any specific things we should talk about together?" ie: shy guys are super-featured in Yoshi's island, you could talk about shyguys throughout the series if you needed to fill space
"Do we have any particularly funny jokes or bits we want to do?" a little harder to do with live commentary
You also need to think about pacing and get a feel for each others' rhythm do keep from shouting over each other.
And in a Mario game, it would help to have someone competent in the game who can show it off really well. Games with actual surprises can benefit a lot from having someone blind commentating, Mario isn't one of them IMO (and preferably not in the player's seat, but ehh, judgement call, different groups find different things that work)

This is a lot more helpful, thanks for writing it out. Now that you mention your group, I see that you've got a Super Paper Mario LP going...that game is awesome, I'll have to check out what you have going on, especially considering your advice here.

And you're right, the commentary is kind of all over the place. Part of it is that we're just getting our feet wet and learning how to commentate together without running all over each other, but the kind of questions you've listed are almost certainly what we should be discussing before we turn on fraps. And I think based on what you've said, it would probably be wise to switch the player to someone who's played the game a bit more...either myself or Christine. I don't think Cory will mind :).

Rephrasing the question about what we're bringing to the table helps. I think we're definitely focused on noticing in-game silly things, and out-of-game theorizing, because that's what we spent the most time talking about and what we're likely to gravitate back to. If we don't have to explain game mechanics, the discussion should be smoother and less reactionary.

This kind of feedback is the kind of thing that makes the possibility of rerecording the first episode a lot more likely, because we have something actionable to work on. We can change the player, we can focus on particular topics, and we can avoid some of the silly reaction stuff. Before, the only positives we saw from rerecording was technical stuff, which didn't seem worth losing the spontaneity of the first recording. Now we have ideas for improving the style fundamentally, and we have you to thank for that.

At this point, we're considering a couple of different options about how to move forward. We'll post a new OP here when we get it figured out. In the meantime, any other advice about how to best improve the style for a 4-person "fuckaround" group (I'm keeping that one) is greatly appreciated.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

And My Fax! posted:

And I think based on what you've said, it would probably be wise to switch the player to someone who's played the game a bit more...either myself or Christine. I don't think Cory will mind :).

I somehow got the impression you were going to switch off every so often. Some controller-passing could make for a nice gimmick, especially with the Yoshis' rally system and all.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

And My Fax! posted:

But really, you don't see the difference between a group consisting of 2 men and 2 women, and a group of just two men? You don't think that there's any difference in dynamic between live, in-person commentary and post commentary via Skype? I think if there were half a dozen LPs of a dude playing Yoshi's Island by himself, and this was just me playing Yoshi's Island and asking for feedback, your criticism would be valid. But that's not the scenario; instead we have 3 existing LPs of the game, distinct from one another, and we're adding another distinct LP to the mix. Not to mention the fact that Famous Ghosts' LP was concurrent with Vicas' (considering Vicas' has been going since February '12, this is probably not a surprise). Not only that, but beyond Yoshi's Island there are many games in the master list with far more LPs completed, including at least one game with more than 10 complete LPs.

It just seems silly to me to treat LPs on SA as some sort of museum, where we have to curate the selection lest we have a repeat LP. We're doing this because we think it would be fun. We make each other laugh, and we think we can make other people laugh too. There's a lot of love out there for this game, and the combination of ease of recording, mix of experience among the group, length of the game, and the depth of the game for commentary led us to choose Yoshi's Island in particular as a starting point. Further down the line, we'd like to LP modern games that would require an HD-PVR, and there's likely to be a lot less crossover there with existing LPs, but the start-up costs are a lot higher. We want to try out the LP idea, be as entertaining as possible, and at the end of the series, determine if we want to move forward with a more costly set-up. I hope that makes sense.
Edit: It looks like you took some of the advice to heart as I was typing this. I'm leaving it up so you can see my thoughts. It sums out to the fact that you need to give us a reason to think your LP will be different than the other ones out there. I know it sounds maybe a bit harsh, but I don't think this was overly different than the other ones, not enough to warrant a full thread.

Ok, slow your roll. There's nothing wrong with concurrent or even sequential LPs of the same game. I watched both Bulletstorm LPs when they were running, and watched both the old and new Demon's Souls LPs. With the Demon's Souls LP by The Wandering Newbie the OP acknowledged that Squint had done an LP of the game previously, and then went on to list how it would be different than Squint's.

Having watched the video, I didn't see anything that made it more interesting than the other LPs out there, the jokes all missed and the fact that I wanted to rip the controller out of the player's hands and finish the level for him doesn't bode well for other videos where he gets the controller that are more complex than the opening couple stages. This was why I suggested you re-shot the first video, in addition to the technical issues.

You don't need Sandcastle approval to post, as Slowbeef pointed out, we're here to give advice. Our advice was to maybe reconsider the first video based on what we've seen. Don't tell me it gets better, give me proof that I'm not going to want to turn the video off after six minutes of "NO GO LEFT, HIT THE GREEN THING, SWALLOW THE GODDAMN SHYGUY!", or that it won't be there in the future.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 1, 2013

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

I'm not sure if this is too preliminary to bring up here, but I'm slowly trying to put together a Magical Pop'n VLP. The person I've lined up to co-commentate (and provide translations for the game's two (2) cutscenes) won't be available for another few days, but I've recorded a few run-throughs of the first level so I'd love to hear any opinions before I bring in my busy, busy friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAXILh_YQME - Here is the run I plan to use, if anyone wants to skim it. The backtracking gets more bloating as the game goes on - for later levels with branching paths I'll probably record each path, and show them in the same video with little visual bumpers to show that it's a different path and where they intersect.

I guess my main questions at this stage are - is the video hideous, and is there anything egregiously weird/annoying about my playing style? I don't think it looks that bad, but those kids that film themselves trying to go Super Saiyan don't think they look bad either.

If anyone can think of anything I missed or anything that needs to come up in commentary I'd love to hear about that too. I'm wavering on whether I want to talk about Ai Iijima, the lady who provided the main character's voice, since it's cool that this mascot platformer cast a former adult film star who would later do a lot of AIDS activism in Japan, but that might be a little incongruous to talk about over a mascot platformer. My momma always said the less you have to risk crossing sex talk with cute Japanese cartoon characters on the LP forums, the better.

VV Aww, nuts. Should be viewable now. Thank you! VV

Abitha Denton fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 2, 2013

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
It's currently set to private ;)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
It's worth taking the group you're presenting to in the Sandcastle into account, I think, regarding the Yoshi's Story stuff going up. Pretty much everyone in here has done at least one LP, most people multiple. That's a really high level of nerdy sophistication in a decidedly nerdy hobby to begin with. Yeah, people are generally going to be pretty cynical for another 'group of folks' LP because most people in here have already seen a ton of them.

The real question to ask yourself when considering content criticism like that is, what direction do you want to take yourself in the hobby? If you're just starting out then it's probably fine to do something more bog standard since you're just finding your feet and just figuring out what you do and don't enjoy. I think it's relatively normal to look back on some of your earlier work and cringe a little bit. I rewatched my first LP recently and truthfully I'm mildly embarrassed about it. The technical fundamentals are OK, but I see so many things I could've done better, and my method of commentary is so much smoother now that I'm actually comfortable with myself behind a microphone. If you would ask me today how I'd do the LP differently, I'd probably not do the LP at all. But it was required for me to get the technical and personal savvy to make better quality stuff with my second and beyond LPs. At this stage, you are probably just figuring out if the hobby is gonna be fun and exciting for you and your crew. So if you don't make an earthshaking first LP, who cares? Worry about thrilling untold masses of internet strangers after you've got the belief in yourself that you can do it.

This really hit home for me recently when I checked my analytics on my Google page and realized that, even with the tens of thousands of views SA has garnered our channel over the last six months, a supermajority of our traffic is from Youtube internal references. SA and lparchive.org combined make up something like a quarter of all our traffic.

It really drove home for me that, as fantastically useful and helpful as the opinions here are, they really are not everything. I gladly go to the Sandcastle every time I go to post an LP because I can count on people here to give me unvarnished feedback that will help me get better. But if I don't agree with a content criticism, I feel absolutely no compunction to listen to it. I know I have tons of viewers on Youtube who like our style.

I'll refrain from giving too many points on the LP itself since I feel like everything I would say has been said already.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

More of a technical advice; you appear to have recorded your video in native console resolution and encoded/uploaded it to Youtube just like that. Two things wrong with that:
1) The colorspace x264 encodes in by default doesn't do well with pixel art, so it is always a good idea to nearest-neighbor resize to double resolution in both directions before converting the colorspace to YV12.
2) In addition, Youtube's encoder hates sub-720p footage. Compare:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_QJVagZ_yY <- x240, very blurry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbRVh7dcBLk <- x480, better but still has some weird horizontal line artifacts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l98GNa68eQc <- x960, crystal clear pixels

In other words, you should upscale your video to 4x the source resolution (using PointResize() in Avisynth) before uploading it to Youtube.

It might also be a good idea to pad the video to a vertical resolution of 960 after resize due to Youtube's rigid resolutions, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 2, 2013

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

And My Fax! posted:

:yoshi: Let's Play Yoshi's Island with Double Date! :yoshi:

I'm gonna go against the grain here and say go for it. The commentary is kinda stilted and unfocused at times, but you really need to get used to commentating in general before that will work out, and also to your group's specific traits. And the only way to do that is to make videos.

So, general advice, make sure the technical issues are totally cleaned up before you make more videos. The tech support fort can be really helpful for that, but it sounds like you've gotten most of it figured out, so I won't push too much. Technical issues can be a pretty big dealbreaker for a lot of first time viewers, though, so definitely give them thought.

Second, if something screws up, don't be afraid to rerecord just because you had some good moments the first time. The very first time someone plays a game is always kind of awkward, and not in the interesting way. You might not get the chance to make the same jokes that you really liked the first time, but the more you do it the more you'll start to notice the openings for other jokes anyway. Genuine first time reactions can be good, but only when presented in the right way. For example, when Geop did Dark Souls, he was playing blind, but he had played enough Demon's Souls that he was familiar with the controls. When Cory takes over there's a lot of really awkward "okay now how do I do this" moments that build up on each other and make it tough to watch. And yes, it's true that he's never not going to know how to play the game at all ever again, but there's still plenty of mechanics he doesn't know or isn't familiar enough with to think of in a tight spot. Those moments will be just as genuine, but less grating to people who have played the game before.

Also, while I am all for really casual commentary (I do 100% runthroughs but we never formally prepare bits or discuss what we'll talk about beforehand), it definitely helps if at least one person has facts about the game or even vaguely related to the game to talk about, just to keep the conversation going. So less notes/script and more bullet points. But really, a lot of us started out where you guys are. If you watch my Bounty Hunter LP or Addar's DK64 LP, you can really tell that we were new to this stuff. We redid a lot of the early videos multiple times, and even towards the end of DK64 there were some videos we had to redo after getting over halfway through those slugfests. I pretty much started doing LPs because it seemed like a fun way to spend my free time and do something with my friends (I also had this crazy idea about playing some game with my feet or some poo poo, but I'm sure we're all glad that didn't pan out :rolleyes:), and I feel like the casual, "let's all play fun games and talk about them" atmosphere makes for some of the best commentary I've watched. But to make it work (especially early on, when you're still figuring each other out) you have to be willing to edit yourselves, and let go of the whole "this has to be our first take" mentality.

Hope all this helps, and if you do go through with Yoshi's Island, I wish you luck in finishing before me, which I think might make me the first LPer on the forums to ever have a game LP'd twice within the time he was LPing it. :v:

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Vicas posted:

it definitely helps if at least one person has facts about the game or even vaguely related to the game to talk about, just to keep the conversation going. So less notes/script and more bullet points.

Yeah, agreed. That's one of the things about co/group commentary: if you've got someone who's really into this stuff and has a bunch of info and conversation points for everyone to latch onto, then you can keep going for a while (just be careful of having the reactions get in the way of conversation - since I do post-comm it's never come up, but live comm you gotta watch out and be careful you don't interrupt something cool)

FrancisFarterburgr
Feb 16, 2008

An evening out, and a bunch more responses!

Lizard Wizard posted:

I somehow got the impression you were going to switch off every so often. Some controller-passing could make for a nice gimmick, especially with the Yoshis' rally system and all.

Yeah I said that we would be doing that, but it seemed clear that no one here wants to see a blind LP of this game in particular, so I figured we'd probably stick with players who are more experienced in order to avoid hair-pulling among viewers. We'd probably still have some handoff between myself and Christine, as we're the two who have played a good amount of this game before. Traci hasn't played at all.

Lazyfire, I haven't had the opportunity to meet with everyone yet (we're hoping to get together Tuesday or Wednesday), but I at least am strongly considering rerecording, at least to provide more real content.

Coolguye, yeah we were talking about that amongst ourselves. I wonder how different the tastes of the crowd in this thread are in comparison to the general forum citizenry. But it really is a relief for us to hear that trying to do something simple and that has been done before isn't the worst idea ever, while we're figuring out our voice as commentators. I don't think our expectations are terribly high for this LP...like I said, we want to hammer out the kinks and determine if this is something we really want to spend our time on, and a short, simple game is what we think would work best to serve that purpose. And the only way to get better is to just try, and see what people think. Now we're trying to implement the feedback.

Vicas, you are awesome. I'm glad you chimed in, because first it gives me an opportunity to tell you that I love your LPs; Dark Souls was superbly entertaining and Super Mario 64 was hilarious and impressive. Your advice is invaluable, and I think you've really hit home the point that I've been having trouble understanding. In my head, I loved the first video because it was our first try, it was exciting and new and I had a lot of personal investment in it, all of us did. But after letting things cool off, I see what you're saying: being willing to sacrifice footage in the name of a cleaner, more entertaining final product is a better mentality.

Between Vicas and Spiffo explaining it, I really like the idea of having one person who's a little bit more prepared, with info about the game and talking points to help fill lulls, so that we don't have this panic to always have something to say. I think it will help us be a little less frenetic, along with having a player who's more familiar with the game.

Thanks to all of you, it's been an enormous help today. I apologize if I've been thick-headed or defensive...it's tough not to be when the project is personal like this. Like I said before, we'll post here again when we've taken steps towards a new video.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If I could give one piece of advice, just find a game that one or more of you guys honestly love and LP it. Don't worry if you think it's very LPable or not, don't worry about having played it recently or whatever. The fact that you care about the game will mean you will put that much extra effort into making sure you're doing it justice in showing it to others, and that'll translate to a good product.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
Though this is starting to simmer down now I'll just say that, while I didn't quite fully enjoy the first draft mostly because of the technical stuff (audio mix specifically), I do feel like your group might have a good bit of chemistry. You all sound nerdy or in to games enough to warrant sitting down together and playing and managing to be somewhat relevant. I'm glad it's not just a case of you trying to get your vaguely interested friends to sit and make jokes about games. You could have a really cool thing if you heed the advice of the sandcastle a bit more if only because the people posting think what they're saying will help you rather than drive you off the forum.

You probably will find a more accepting audience from general forum goers rather than the sandcastle regulars who get a lot of first timers and people seeking to improve and thus have grown to be very specific about advice because they've had to say it over and over (which is nice, that they still do that!). People speak with a lot of finality here because it usually only goes one of two ways: The person accepts the advice and is willing to tweak or improve or they turn in to defensive little blouses and rush back to the sanctity of YouTube.

I'd say that with a few tweaks (everyone's got you covered, I have nothing productive to add) like letting the more experienced people play most often and trying to play to the strengths of your commentary (you guys were close to being quite funny/entertaining at times before getting distracted), fixing the tech issues and perhaps having a little bit of a session plan even if you still want certain group members to go blind, having a little guideline or goal in mind for the session might help.

That wound up being a lot more :words: than I had intended but whatever. I hope to see you come back with more after you've chatted with your group.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 2, 2013

FrancisFarterburgr
Feb 16, 2008

Sundowner posted:

Though this is starting to simmer down now I'll just say that, while I didn't quite fully enjoy the first draft mostly because of the technical stuff (audio mix specifically), I do feel like your group might have a good bit of chemistry. You all sound nerdy or in to games enough to warrant sitting down together and playing and managing to be somewhat relevant. I'm glad it's not just a case of you trying to get your vaguely interested friends to sit and make jokes about games. You could have a really cool thing if you heed the advice of the sandcastle a bit more if only because the people posting think what they're saying will help you rather than drive you off the forum.

You probably will find a more accepting audience from general forum goers rather than the sandcastle regulars who get a lot of first timers and people seeking to improve and thus have grown to be very specific about advice because they've had to say it over and over (which is nice, that they still do that!). People speak with a lot of finality here because it usually only goes one of two ways: The person accepts the advice and is willing to tweak or improve or they turn in to defensive little blouses and rush back to the sanctity of YouTube.

I'd say that with a few tweaks (everyone's got you covered, I have nothing productive to add) like letting the more experienced people play most often and trying to play to the strengths of your commentary (you guys were close to being quite funny/entertaining at times before getting distracted), fixing the tech issues and perhaps having a little bit of a session plan even if you still want certain group members to go blind, having a little guideline or goal in mind for the session might help.

That wound up being a lot more :words: than I had intended but whatever. I hope to see you come back with more after you've chatted with your group.

Thanks for the kind words, and the explanation of the mentality. Can you email doubledatelp at gmail dot com? I wanted to follow up with you outside the thread, if you don't mind.

JT Jag, I think our trouble was finding a game that doesn't require a PVR that we all also love. In Yoshi's Island, we found a game that at least half the group loved and that most of us were aware of (Traci didn't have a console until I bought her a PS2 a few years back). However, game selection is still a topic for discussion...we may yet try something different.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

More of a technical advice; you appear to have recorded your video in native console resolution and encoded/uploaded it to Youtube just like that. Two things wrong with that:
1) The colorspace x264 encodes in by default doesn't do well with pixel art, so it is always a good idea to nearest-neighbor resize to double resolution in both directions before converting the colorspace to YV12.
2) In addition, Youtube's encoder hates sub-720p footage. Compare:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_QJVagZ_yY <- x240, very blurry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbRVh7dcBLk <- x480, better but still has some weird horizontal line artifacts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l98GNa68eQc <- x960, crystal clear pixels

In other words, you should upscale your video to 4x the source resolution (using PointResize() in Avisynth) before uploading it to Youtube.

It might also be a good idea to pad the video to a vertical resolution of 960 after resize due to Youtube's rigid resolutions, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Holy moly, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you so much!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I am trying to find TheDarkID's unfinished Final Fantasy X LP and am chronically bad at searching the SomethingAwful forums. Would anyone happen to have a link by any chance?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

I am trying to find TheDarkID's unfinished Final Fantasy X LP and am chronically bad at searching the SomethingAwful forums. Would anyone happen to have a link by any chance?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483148

And if you have trouble searching, it never hurts to check out the LP Master List Database: http://lparchive.org/lpmaster/

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Niggurath posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483148

And if you have trouble searching, it never hurts to check out the LP Master List Database: http://lparchive.org/lpmaster/

Muchos gracias. drat do I miss me some TDI LPs~

red mammoth
Nov 3, 2011

Stupid sexy Stalin!
I'm doing a screenshot LP of an old game called KGB/Conspiracy. It's been in the works a long while, and I'm in the editing stage. It's a bit rough at this point, but I'd like some feedback all the same.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=14104

Some notes:
The character portraits are too big, I know. What would be a good size for them?

I doubled the size of all the screenshots, using the nearest neighbor scaler. They were originally 320x200, and were way too small to see anything. Is this a good idea?

There's a problem with the in-game time. I'll edit them using Photoshop.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

red mammoth posted:

I'm doing a screenshot LP of an old game called KGB/Conspiracy. It's been in the works a long while, and I'm in the editing stage. It's a bit rough at this point, but I'd like some feedback all the same.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=14104
Bah. That will teach me to procrastinate my LP's forever (again). You could do with some commentary both in general, and about Soviet specific stuff. How many people in the LP forum are actually familiar with the Iron Felix?

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

red mammoth posted:

I'm doing a screenshot LP of an old game called KGB/Conspiracy.

1. There's no need for the space between images one after another.
2. Since the images aren't that big, it might be better to put some of them side by side

EDIT: Nevermind, the images are too big for that. It worked in the preview, though. I swear!

3. 480x300 might be a better option, especially if you want to put them side by side.

Like that.
4. I find for these adventure games, only showing off the interesting bits of text works best, so cutting down on some of the boring text like, "Nothing Special" when inspecting Belov's phone would be good.
5. Colons next to portraits are unnecessary. I don't understand why people use them when it's obvious that the next to portraits refers to them. This isn't an insult to you, so please don't take it that way.
6. Portrait sizes might be a little too big, but it's not that big of a deal.
7. I think you should add some of your own commentary to break up the monotony of the conversations. I get that it's supposed to be a first person narrative LP, so adding the main characters thoughts could be a good start.

Finally, why should the reader pay attention to your LP? This isn't a knock on your work - it's not bad. But it's pretty bland at this point, and the game seems to not be that interesting so far, even though I don't really know what's going on without some sort of introduction and we've barely seen any of it. The title is Conspiracy, so there probably is more to it. I'm stealing this line of thought from somebody else in the sandcastle a little while ago, but I think if you're going to make a narrative LP, you've got two choices. You can either make something plain-toast, and most won't remember it three months after it's done, or you've got to make it your own. It's certainly not easy: a good narrative LP is a hell of a lot harder to make than a good informative one, and it'll take a lot of work. However, if the game's plot is interesting, narrative can take a backseat and play a supplemental role, but I still think you should tweak your narrative into something more memorable.

gatz fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 7, 2013

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

I did it!
OKAY! I have changed up the video footage, so it should look much clearer.
Just thought I'd check in one more time, just to make sure I'm not forgetting something. Thank you everyone who helped me in tech and helped me here.

---------

Let's Play...

The Story:

Mega Man X Command Mission takes place in the 23rd century about 100 years after the events of other games in the Mega Man X series.

A new substance known as "Force Metal" is extracted from the debris of a small meteorite. New technology based on the metal revolutionizes the field of Reploid Engineering.

So of course the only smart thing to do was build a whole city/island centered on this new technology, mining and smelting the metal so later Mavericks can come in and take it. Let's also make sure there’s no Maverick Hunter base set on the island to protect it. I’m sure there’s some sort of Maverick invasion quota they have to fill per year.

Giga City, where the game takes place, is an artificial island in the middle of an ocean. A takeover of the island is staged by a Reploid named Epsilon, who has gathered others to his cause. They call themselves The Rebellion. What exactly they’re rebelling against is less clear.

But this assult brands him and the others with him as Mavericks, so a call is made by Colonel Redips to the Maverick Hunters for backup. This is where the story begins.

And quickly ceases to make any sense. At least it’s upholding the fine tradition of the later Megaman games.

About the Game:

Despite the game's plot being so easy to lose track of, the gameplay is pretty good. It's a turn-based RPG, which is very different for a Megaman game, with some neat mechanics thrown in to keep things interesting. I am set on finding all the items in each level, getting X and Zero's extra armors, and fighting the extra bosses.

I’ll be playing the PS2 version of this game, so I can’t collect all the extra figurines present in the game, since some can only be obtained in the GameCube version. But the GC version is for masochists who enjoy unnecessarily high encounter rates and hurting their palms trying to spin the C-stick inhumanly fast, although the graphics and sound are a tiny bit better.

About the Let’s Play:

The purpose of this LP is to show off this game to any Megaman X fan that may have missed it, and hopefully explain everything to any others who played this game and were just as confused as I was.

This is going to be a hybrid SSLP, with videos included for cutscenes.

The Chapters:

Part 1
Part 2

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Animated Reviewer posted:

Mega Man X Command stuff

What's this all about? I presume this is on my end, but it's still super loving distracting.

What you've got seems decent enough to me, besides that weird thing which is probably my fault anyway.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I say pull the trigger. Looking forward to this game.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

What's this all about? I presume this is on my end, but it's still super loving distracting.

What you've got seems decent enough to me, besides that weird thing which is probably my fault anyway.

Check your browser text encoding settings.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

Check your browser text encoding settings.

That's usually set by the webpage itself. Most commonly I've seen it when people use the weird (unicode?) directional single quotes (used by default in stuff like MS Word) instead of a normal universal apostrophe.

EDIT: My browser is using ISO-8859-1 for that page and it indeed does show up as one of the single quotes.

unfair fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 2, 2013

red mammoth
Nov 3, 2011

Stupid sexy Stalin!

Xander77 posted:

Bah. That will teach me to procrastinate my LP's forever (again). You could do with some commentary both in general, and about Soviet specific stuff. How many people in the LP forum are actually familiar with the Iron Felix?

You were working on another LP of this game? Sorry about that. Anyway, thanks for the help. I'm thinking of adding a lot more commentary to the game, and I'll add Soviet stuff.

gatz posted:

2. Since the images aren't that big, it might be better to put some of them side by side
Thanks for all the help. I'm not offended at all. Yeah, this is a pretty boring part of the game, but it doesn't last long. None of the conversations right now are necessary, actually. Just flavor text. It gets a lot more interesting from here on. I'll cut out a lot of junk, and put the more interesting junk into a bonus section. Resizing the images sounds good, too.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

red mammoth posted:

You were working on another LP of this game?
Sure, if by working you mean "thinking about possibly doing something at some point maybe, I guess". I'm pretty sure the above counts as a legal stake of my claim to that LP for seven generations (at least)

Anyways, I guess I can do some commentary in your LP, if need be.

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

I did it!
Megaman X Command Mission Post!

Thanks for all the help, everyone! The thread is now up.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

gatz posted:

I think It looks much better when images are separated by spaces.

quote:

EDIT: Nevermind, the images are too big for that. It worked in the preview, though. I swear!

3. 480x300 might be a better option, especially if you want to put them side by side.

Like that.
They look good enough that I'd rather have them larger and single file than side-by side.

Those portraits are definitely too big, though.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
You know, I've been thinking, I think I've got a relatively successful Let's Play going right now...but, there's no harm in posting my latest update, just to make sure I haven't gotten into any bad habits or anything, right? So basically, it's a sort of "alright, how am I doing so far", you know what I mean?

So here it is. The update I'd like people to read (if they're willing), is the one right below the grinding one, if you don't mind. In any case, have a nice day!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3535179&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post416647019

EDIT: Roger doger Sundowner! Thanks for telling me!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 3, 2013

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
I haven't read the post yet but just fyi, you can link directly to a post by clicking this and copying the link it puts in your address bar:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a general guidelines for starting new LP's after finishing old ones? I just finished my Shadowrun LP, (the one for sega,) and now I want to go ahead and do an LP of the one for SNES, I'm building my stuff right now, and I was planning to have a post done by tonight-ish. I was just wondering if this is breaking some sort of guideline.

Unrelated, but I definitely want to thank this thread for teaching me about lpix and rightload, which has made everything do 100x easier. I couldn't believe I was trying to use dropbox to host my pictures :blush:.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There are people that are doing multiple LPs at once, no one cares if you start another one right away.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Is there a general guidelines for starting new LP's after finishing old ones? I just finished my Shadowrun LP, (the one for sega,) and now I want to go ahead and do an LP of the one for SNES, I'm building my stuff right now, and I was planning to have a post done by tonight-ish. I was just wondering if this is breaking some sort of guideline.

Unrelated, but I definitely want to thank this thread for teaching me about lpix and rightload, which has made everything do 100x easier. I couldn't believe I was trying to use dropbox to host my pictures :blush:.
It's all really up to what you can handle; there are some people out there that have multiple LP's running at once or immediately start LP's after finishing whatever they have just finished. I would say though that if you're just doing the SNES version of Shadowrun that it'd probably be fine to just stay with the thread you already have rather than starting a new one.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Niggurath posted:

It's all really up to what you can handle; there are some people out there that have multiple LP's running at once or immediately start LP's after finishing whatever they have just finished. I would say though that if you're just doing the SNES version of Shadowrun that it'd probably be fine to just stay with the thread you already have rather than starting a new one.

Oh I didn't consider that, The two games are just really different, so I worry about having my OP be about one game then being pointed to a new OP about another game. The two versions are way different, (like Action RPG compared to a Point 'n' Click.) Even though they're different, I should still keep with my old thread?

vvv

Alright, cool thanks.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 3, 2013

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Oh I didn't consider that, The two games are just really different, so I worry about having my OP be about one game then being pointed to a new OP about another game. The two versions are way different, (like Action RPG compared to a Point 'n' Click.) Even though they're different, I should still keep with my old thread?
It's totally up to you ;) There's no rule against it and if you feel it'd be difficult to integrate it into what you already have, then I'd say just make a new thread.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Of course the one time I decide to skip the Sand Castle, I have issues.

My images look super blurry in thread. (seen here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3557876&pagenumber=1#lastpost)

but when I open them individually they look fine.

They also look fine in my Quick Reply Box, is SALR resizing the images in thread? Or does it seem somewhat blurry to you guys as well?

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Of course the one time I decide to skip the Sand Castle, I have issues.

My images look super blurry in thread. (seen here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3557876&pagenumber=1#lastpost)

but when I open them individually they look fine.

They also look fine in my Quick Reply Box, is SALR resizing the images in thread? Or does it seem somewhat blurry to you guys as well?

They look fine in thread to me. Must be your SALR resizing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I think I can guess, but I figured I should ask just in case: does the 3-month rule apply to Sandcastle posts as well? Me and a buddy are recording The Last of Us and I just figured I'd check to see if getting my stuff sorted out sooner rather than later was a possibility.

• Locked thread