Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah, I kind of find it hard to feel bad for a moron who thought joking about shooting up a school was a good idea. And if he's seriously so addicted to LoL he hadn't heard of Sandy Hook like his dad claims, that's seriously unhealthy levels of addiction, so maybe this'll wake him up to the real world a little.

Yeah, but 8 years is kinda really goddamn harsh. I can see the police investigating, and MAYBE some sort of misdemeanour charge, but locking this kid away for an incredibly dumb statement is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
It is also worth noting that since this was a felony conviction the kid will probably not be able to get a job more skilled than 'widget turner' for about 5-8 years after he finally gets out.

I'm all for people being less douchy online, and if we want to start hitting people with civil violations for being massive dickholes I might be on board with that. But an entire phase of this kid's life is forfeit because he made a bad joke and someone didn't know what 'lol jk' meant.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

That's been happening for years outside of games. There was a guy in Maryland who got hit with felony charges for saying on a message board he wanted to "slap the poo poo" out of mayor of Baltimore Martin O'Malley. They used state resources to track him down and arrest him for threatening a public official.

It's the same kind of deal. At some point, you have to be a little careful about what you say to people who very well might overact so much that they call the famed internet police on you. :v:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Zaodai posted:

That's been happening for years outside of games. There was a guy in Maryland who got hit with felony charges for saying on a message board he wanted to "slap the poo poo" out of mayor of Baltimore Martin O'Malley. They used state resources to track him down and arrest him for threatening a public official.

It's the same kind of deal. At some point, you have to be a little careful about what you say to people who very well might overact so much that they call the famed internet police on you. :v:

They're no longer a myth perpetuated by angry net users, which is pretty alarming!

Coolguye posted:

It is also worth noting that since this was a felony conviction the kid will probably not be able to get a job more skilled than 'widget turner' for about 5-8 years after he finally gets out.

I'm all for people being less douchy online, and if we want to start hitting people with civil violations for being massive dickholes I might be on board with that. But an entire phase of this kid's life is forfeit because he made a bad joke and someone didn't know what 'lol jk' meant.

League of Legends has started a horrible trend, but really, how someone acts on the internet should not be and often is not indicative of how they are in real life. To be given a felony conviction over a video game comment is utter crap and nobody exercised any critical thought when they made this arrest, it's just a "well if we don't do something then we'll be crucified later!" moment that gets dropped in a lap here then it's dropped in a lap somewhere else and it continues.

There was the issue of a French player making a comment in an official match on Starcraft 2, saying he had abused/had sex with a 14-year old girl. Obviously, very offensive to a lot of people, and it got him booted quickly but nobody pursued an outrageous lawsuit against him.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 30, 2013

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Lunethex posted:

League of Legends has started a horrible trend, but really, how someone acts on the internet should not be and often is not indicative of how they are in real life.

It is, however, pretty indicative of their true nature when they (think they) won't face any public consequences for what they say or do via anonymity or privacy.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Coolguye posted:

"Widget turner" is a pretty big upgrade from "amateur(but I swear I'll be pro someday!) LoL player", lets not get too ambitious for him.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

It is, however, pretty indicative of their true nature when they (think they) won't face any public consequences for what they say or do via anonymity or privacy.

I've said plenty of stupid poo poo over my past 15 years on the internet. Some of which could likely of gotten me arrested in today's climate. Anonymity is an powerful thing, it turns us into assholes or saints.
We're going down a slope, were half the things done in this thread will one day be considered against the law because it some form of cyber bullying bullshit(or worse yet a threat again a persons life, cause you know poo poo talking), because we decided to play an video game the way we wanted too, and someone else was Q_Q because it involved making them Q_Q, despite the fact it was with in the game's design to begin with.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Inco posted:

Yeah, but 8 years is kinda really goddamn harsh. I can see the police investigating, and MAYBE some sort of misdemeanour charge, but locking this kid away for an incredibly dumb statement is insane.

Yeah, this. Ten or fifteen years ago I would see the worst thing coming of this is that they arrest him and hold him overnight and toss his room to check and see if he has weapons or a diary with a list of people to kill or something actually serious, then let him go on a misdemeanor charge like "creating a public disturbance" or something and give him 100 hours of community service.

Make a public example out of him but slap him with something that's deferred adjudication so once he does his time and learns his lesson it gets wiped off his record.

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

Big Daddy Skar posted:

We also took over and marginalized one of the biggest clans that existed even back to AOL Battletech House Liao/Cappellan Confederation to the consternation of their leader the great Shitler Metro.

This sounds interesting/hilarious, care to elaborate?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Vivick posted:

This sounds interesting/hilarious, care to elaborate?

There's still some work in progress on this one - I'm sure someone can post the full saga when it's all done and dusted though.
One of the Word goons has actually put together a timeline of key events in the last 12 months of mwo. Don't have the link handy, but it's prominently posted in the wol forums if anyone wants it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

There's still some work in progress on this one - I'm sure someone can post the full saga when it's all done and dusted though.
One of the Word goons has actually put together a timeline of key events in the last 12 months of mwo. Don't have the link handy, but it's prominently posted in the wol forums if anyone wants it.

How often does WoL auth get purged? I haven't been on in like six months, but had access at one point.

Edit: I'm dumb I can just go loving try it. Yay I still have auth

http://www.timetoast.com/timelines/the-history-of-internet-stompy-robots/

Here's a publicly available thing

Magres fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 30, 2013

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'm so sad the night of furry rage isn't on there. It was a meltdown of epic proportions.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Inco posted:

Does anyone have any actual information on this case, beyond 'guy is reported for making statements, police investigate him and now he's facing 8 years as a result, family says "not mah boy!"'

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

So, there's been a recently found TF2 server crash exploit which basically involves two Spies with different Sappers looking at Sentry gun at the same time. It's extremely easy to do and will probably be patched out by tomorrow.

Last night, after a failed attempt at a PUG with goons, the rest of us who hadn't left decided to go around and execute this glitch. We started out small, hitting a pony server, then a trade and idle server. Someone had the bright idea to find someone streaming TF2 on twitch and ruining his day. We managed to find the perfect victim, a small-time twitch superstar-wannabe who was spending most of his stream time messing around on a Mario Kart server bragging about his 8-core AMD he spent $900 on. Because he was streaming, it was recorded, which you can find here.

The video starts with him telling this Mario Kart server about his steam group and trying to rally everyone to kill the Headless Horsemann. We start to enter the server at around 5 minutes in, and we manage to crash it at about 9. He starts worrying about his ~*cores running at 100%*~. After a little bit, he gets the bright idea to go to his own personal server, and is kind enough to publicly disclose the IP. We immediately hop on and crash it. Twice. He starts flipping out and blaming the server company until one of his brown-noser friends points out the exploit. Really, his reactions to everything are well worth watching.

The guy who ratted us out also posted a screenshot of us in the act:

At 41 minutes he says that we probably were crashing his server because we were JEALOUS of his crazy twitch viewer count (he had like 10 viewers, including us). A little bit later he goes back on his server and we go back in, not even doing the exploit, but just running around making him paranoid. After he fails to kick us from his own server, we crash it again. There's nothing really interesting after that however.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Constable Lemon posted:

So, there's been a recently found TF2 server crash exploit which basically involves two Spies with different Sappers looking at Sentry gun at the same time. It's extremely easy to do and will probably be patched out by tomorrow.

Wow, that guy is an insufferable bitch. Good job on griefing him, wish I was around for it.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 30, 2013

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Probably the best moment was "these three FUCKERS are doing so they can CRASH the server." "So... why don't you just kick them?" Then silence as he tries to figure out how to run his server while Goons crash it again.

Good work fellas, this man's inability to come to grips with his own incompetence is beautiful.

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 30, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Streamers with stupid fake vocal tics are the worst, you did the world a service.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I love how when you guys are crashing his personal server he is spectating one of the spies while it happens.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Thanks for posting about that TF2 glitch, me and some friends got together and crashed a bunch of brony and trade servers.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Constable Lemon posted:

Because he was streaming, it was recorded, which you can find here.

Wow, these guys sound like the biggest goonlords ever and dude deserved to have his poo poo crashed for thinking people want to listen to his friend looking for used keyboards.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
$100 was too much, but $80 (plus shipping) was ok. :suicide:

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
A friend recently linked me to this video, and I was reminded of the aggressive EOD bot videos posted a while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8qy1Bf7DJM

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Wouldn't 99% of EOD bot griefing be nerfed if the game was patched to add falling damage to them? Hope they don't though, it's so much fun to watch the little bots take down people with their little blowtorch thingy.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Battlefield 3 stream trolling returns.

Zelmarked, the MAV troll, takes it away by showing us a massive hypocrite who can't help but refer to everyone else as a kid and everyone he hates as "fags." Also Zelmarked gets into this guy's head so well he starts teamkilling and griefing his own team in the servers he plays in an effort to get back at Zelmarked!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Lunethex posted:

Zelmarked, the MAV troll, takes it away by showing us a massive hypocrite who can't help but refer to everyone else as a kid and everyone he hates as "fags." Also Zelmarked gets into this guy's head so well he starts teamkilling and griefing his own team in the servers he plays in an effort to get back at Zelmarked!

The C4 kill around 14:45 is amazing. Have watched a few of this guy's videos. They're great.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That is just so much gold.

Dude is so hypocritical about other people being fat nerds he might need to have a rethink of his sexuality.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

That is just so much gold.

Dude is so hypocritical about other people being fat nerds he might need to have a rethink of his sexuality.

Seriously, him calling other people fat nerds is so hypocritical it's hilarious.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Oh god drat, the bit with the chips approaches cinematic genius.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

At some point he stopped even trying to teamkill the MAV user and just tried to destroy his own team's plane that was taking off with the AA gun. What the hell.

There's too many perfect moments to mention so I'll just point out the part where he picks his nose in the last two seconds

Orv
May 4, 2011

sleeptalker posted:

Oh god drat, the bit with the chips approaches cinematic genius.

It's almost like he's self-aware. Almost.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Lunethex posted:

I lost it when he was calling Zelmarked a fat lard while chomping down on some potato chips.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Sammus posted:

Seriously, him calling other people fat nerds is so hypocritical it's hilarious.
Then come the harsh attacks on the griefer's youtube statistics. Ouch. That must sting for a wannabe internet-star troll streamer.

And what a boring thing it must be to watch someone else fly MAVs play battlefield for hours.

Maybe I'm just paranoid (for valid reasons) but who would want to record/broadcast themselves talking like an xbox gamer? Anonymity is nice to hide behind if you're going to call someone a fat gay baby nerd, until someone sends a link to your boss and/or remixes it and sends (fake) death threats with your voice.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
In between casual sexism and furious homophobia, the esteemed alpha male emits a righteous belch, shoves a finger proudly up his nose, and finally shovels a fistful of greasy chips into his maw.
"Faggots," he mumbles to himself. "They're all faggots out to get me. Fat loving vagina-having faggots."

The way he just spits out slurs has made me realize that people seriously use "human being" as an insult a lot less than they did even a few years ago, though. Not this guy though. He's sticking to his guns.
You can tell when a stupid person thinks up something they think is really, really clever because they'll repeat it over and over. "Put on your big boy pants! Be a big boy! Get up and be a big boy! Put on your big boy pants!"

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011
I always just assumed that the people that call other people faggots online were literally 12. Now I can only assume they're mentally 12. Its just such a disconnect to see a grown loving man message "lol owned", "fuckkkin scrub" and "faggggg" while referring to everyone else as a kid.

Anyways here's renowned youtube TF2 player STAR secretly messing with his friend who is trying to record his own TF2 footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKsW2g0NZMs

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

In between casual sexism and furious homophobia, the esteemed alpha male emits a righteous belch, shoves a finger proudly up his nose, and finally shovels a fistful of greasy chips into his maw.
"Faggots," he mumbles to himself. "They're all faggots out to get me. Fat loving vagina-having faggots."

The way he just spits out slurs has made me realize that people seriously use "human being" as an insult a lot less than they did even a few years ago, though. Not this guy though. He's sticking to his guns.
You can tell when a stupid person thinks up something they think is really, really clever because they'll repeat it over and over. "Put on your big boy pants! Be a big boy! Get up and be a big boy! Put on your big boy pants!"
Can you flag Twitch accounts for doing this crap under anything? Because watching his man-baby 12 year old meltdown video over his account getting blocked would hilarious. :allears:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Croccers posted:

Can you flag Twitch accounts for doing this crap under anything? Because watching his man-baby 12 year old meltdown video over his account getting blocked would hilarious. :allears:

If he got blocked you couldn't see him rage. :eng99:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Croccers posted:

Under the little gear icon in the lower left, there's a "Report" function. It doesn't guarantee anything will be done to them, but it'll get them reviewed. Twitch takes a lot of their poo poo seriously once they get a complaint. I remember people being up in arms when one guy couldn't stream for a month and lost his partnered status because he said he was going to show his ballsack on stream at some unspecified point in the future, and may or may not have been joking.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Zaodai posted:

Under the little gear icon in the lower left, there's a "Report" function. It doesn't guarantee anything will be done to them, but it'll get them reviewed. Twitch takes a lot of their poo poo seriously once they get a complaint. I remember people being up in arms when one guy couldn't stream for a month and lost his partnered status because he said he was going to show his ballsack on stream at some unspecified point in the future, and may or may not have been joking.

One of the notoriously bad moba streamers (gullin89) has gotten banned and unbanned over stuff like this at least 3 times now. One of the times involved a goon conning him into opening his streaming software's settings on stream, exposing his stream key. The stream was quickly hijacked by gay porn from the 70s.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

bucketmouse posted:

One of the times involved a goon conning him into opening his streaming software's settings on stream, exposing his stream key. The stream was quickly hijacked by gay porn from the 70s.

Now that is a quality grief!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've saved 20 gigs of only the finest gay porn for just these kinds of occasions.

• Locked thread