Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

This is a sign. This thread must burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wanna know what the three overdue books were.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

CJacobs posted:

I wanna know what the three overdue books were.

How To Get What You Want: The Sane and Rational Way, volumes 1, 2, and 3.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I think maybe the boyfriend was GG Allin.

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*
I've noticed a lot of STDH has to do with working in bookstores or libraries. My theory is that Tumblr NEETs imagine that, because they're sooo special for liking reading and books, that working in a capacity that involves books in some way is a dream job and that hilarious hijinks where an archetype they dislike does STDH.

Maybe that's true about the Disney STDH. I know a lot of people that are Disney obsessed and make up stories about going to the parks more than they do and I can see them making up stories about working at a Disney store.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I worked in a library for two weeks while in school and poo poo's boring, yo. I'd be making poo poo up all day too.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

junan_paalla posted:

I worked in a library for two weeks while in school and poo poo's boring, yo. I'd be making poo poo up all day too.

Just how bored does a person have to be to imagine a woman running around using the library as a toilet?

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

Went to a cafe wearing jeans and a t-shirt, everyone there could not believe what I was wearing and was talking about it while I read my book. I was then attacked and no one helped because everyone's sexist.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
My girlfriend has worked in local libraries for years now, and they're actually not so quiet. Think about it, a big, public building, poorly staffed (quantity not quality!) and without security, in town centres. A place that alcoholics, drug addicts, unsupported mentally ill people, and all kinds of ragamuffins with nothing better to do with their time can come into at any point. and can stay as long as they like, as long as they don't cause too much trouble. My girlfriend probably has to deal with police every couple of weeks, although not so much because people literally poo poo on the floor, but more likely due to teenagers bullying each other, racist abuse, or petty theft.

Marmaduke! has a new favorite as of 09:47 on Jul 3, 2013

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

NoUU posted:

Went to a cafe wearing jeans and a t-shirt, everyone there could not believe what I was wearing and was talking about it while I read my book. I was then attacked and no one helped because everyone's sexist.

Her dad called her a feminazi? I thought that was one of those words you only see online.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

DrHerpington posted:

I've noticed a lot of STDH has to do with working in bookstores or libraries. My theory is that Tumblr NEETs imagine that, because they're sooo special for liking reading and books, that working in a capacity that involves books in some way is a dream job and that hilarious hijinks where an archetype they dislike does STDH.
What does NEET mean?

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

HEGEL CURES THESES posted:

What does NEET mean?

Not in Education, Employment or Training, basically young people who have nothing to do.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

jalopybrown posted:

Her dad called her a feminazi? I thought that was one of those words you only see online.

It is.

It looks like the thought process was, "I took a picture of myself and I want to get compliments. So how can I antagonize the people who don't like my photo?"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

vaguely posted:

Not in Education, Employment or Training, basically young people who have nothing to do.
Is "Unemployed" just not acronymy enough for them or something?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Splicer posted:

NEET includes people who aren't even studying/training. I'm not employed, but in university. Unemployed, but not a NEET.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Splicer posted:

It's so as not to conflate people who are temporarily out of a job or disabled with young people who are not seeking work.
Whoops, that was Japan and the NLEET rate. What Serperoth said.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Serperoth posted:

NEET includes people who aren't even studying/training. I'm not employed, but in university. Unemployed, but not a NEET.
While you're strictly accurate as to the meaning of the word unemployed, nobody I know would refer to a student with no job as "unemployed".
e: Ah, the internet informs me that it's one of those acronyms the UK government poo poo out by the thousands in the 90s.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

It's so as not to conflate people who are temporarily out of a job or disabled with young people who are not seeking work.
Oh, it's used as a derogatory term. I assumed it was one of those tumblr "I'm not Unemployed I'm a NEET :downs:" things.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 12:56 on Jul 3, 2013

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

NoUU posted:

gently caress you dad for not respecting the values of the French Revolution!
In STDH stories people are always cool with assault, especially when it targets women.

quote:

(Our mall is a big tourist destination. They don’t often speak English, and occasionally have translators. They are also notorious for wanting ‘new’ items ‘from the back’, even if the item is brand new.)

Me: “Hello, sir, what can I help you find?”

(The customer looks at me confused, then to his translator, who tells him what I said. The translator responds to me.)

Translator: “He would like this dress shirt in his size.”

(I measure the man, and get his dress shirt size from the wall. He removes the tissue paper, cardboard, and plastic clips that all new shirts come with. After looking at it, he drops it on to the ground.)

Translator: “He says he likes it. Can you get him one?”

Me: “So, he doesn’t want that one?”

Translator: “It’s for a gift; he wants a folded one. This one is dirty.”

(I notice an assistant manager is behind me, waiting to see if I need them to step in.)

Me: “I didn’t see anything on it when I pulled it out, but if it’s damaged, I can have a manager approve a discount for you?”

Translator: “No. He only wants a new one. He says it’s ‘ruined’ now.”

Me: “Alright, let me go see what I can do.”

(I take the shirt for reference and go to the back. I refold his shirt, exactly as they are packaged, and take it back.)

Me: “How about this one?”

(The customer looks very happily at me, and says thank you several times before wandering off to the register.)

Manager: “Was that the same shirt?”

Me: “Yep.”

Manager: “Did you clean it with a lint roller or something?”

Me: “Nope, but two can play at the bull-s*** game.”

Yes, tourists carry translators with them all the time.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
So why did this totally plausible tourist need to see the same shirt three times before knowing he wanted to buy it?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Perhaps this tourist was a multi-billionaire oil magnate. If only the salesperson had told them about Bioshock.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
As someone who used to work at a mall that got hundreds of Japanese Canadian tourists in busses on weekends, that's really not unbelievable at all.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

quote:

(Our theatre has a lecture series where authors give presentations. One presenter is a Holocaust survivor. I am very surprised to see a large and stereotypical ‘biker’ come in. He has a leather vest, sleeveless shirt, tattoos, and a beard. As the holocaust survivor is presenting, two teenage boys are being very rowdy and whispering to each other.)

Boy #1: “God! When the f*** is this going to be over?”

Boy #2: “I don’t know. Can we just go now?”

(They stand up, and attempt to leave. The biker stands up, removes his sunglasses, and addresses the teens.)

Biker: “Listen here you little s***. This sweet little old lady has gone through more s*** then you ever will in your life. I advise you to sit your little punk-a** down, and pay her the respect she deserves.”

(The boys sit down, intimidated. The biker receives a round of applause and a hug from the lecturer. I refund his ticket, and offer him free entrance to all our lectures. He’s been to each and every one since.)

People always applaud violence.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I think "biker with a heart of gold" needs to be one of the standard bingo squares.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard
I like how most of these stories boil down to, Someone was rude to me or mildly inconvenienced me so I(or our hero de jour) committed a crime, usually assault against the person. Everyone thought that was a rational response and thus applauded. I mean even in the mild ones the villain commits such a horrid act as calling the protagonist a bad name, and the response is a death threat. I'm not saying it's ok to be rude. But threats and violence are not a rational response to a faux pas. I would go as far as to say there is something wrong with anyone who thinks that it is ok.

It's not that I've never been in line and someone is being rude and I thought "I wanna punch that guy in the nose". Sure I think that. But then my brain goes, "What are you thinking, that's dumb, don't punch people in the nose" and I realize that punching someone in the nose is a terrible response. Saying "stop being a jerk or I'll punch you in the nose" is almost as bad. Implying the threat by balling your fists and staring the dude down is only a small step down from that.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Two children were bored during a speech, so they tried to leave, but a man yelled profanities at them until they sat down again. Everyone cheered.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Lap-Lem posted:

I like how most of these stories boil down to, Someone was rude to me or mildly inconvenienced me so I(or our hero de jour) committed a crime, usually assault against the person.

Reminds me of a guy I knew from the forum for a group I used to work with that does events at a convention in Florida. His story was that he was at some metal concert at a club, and he bumped into a guy who yelled at him. He saw the same guy later, tripped him, then as the guy was getting up performed a heel drop to the guy's chest. His justification? "The guy was committing assault by yelling at me, so I was defending myself". Fifteen minutes after the "assault". With a preemptive strike.

And yes, not only was he not removed from the venue, people around him clapped and cheered for his sweet judo moves.

I didn't call him out on the fact that it was STDH, but I did point out that what he did would have been considered aggravated battery.

Same forum, different thread: I mentioned how much I hate watching people at conventions try to "train" other people in fighting styles they don't understand (mostly because I'd watched a guy tell someone else to do something that would guarantee self-injury and stepped in before his "student" hurt herself), and got the following story in return (paraphrased):
"My master caught me teaching his secret sword style to another student. He told me I had to duel him with live steel as my punishment. During the duel, his sword went through my hand. We went to the emergency room after the duel and told them I got the injury working with tools."
I met that guy. He doesn't have a scar.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

jalopybrown posted:

Well, so far this is still true...

Christopher Robin
Apr 28, 2013

Lap-Lem posted:

I like how most of these stories boil down to, Someone was rude to me or mildly inconvenienced me so I(or our hero de jour) committed a crime, usually assault against the person. Everyone thought that was a rational response and thus applauded. I mean even in the mild ones the villain commits such a horrid act as calling the protagonist a bad name, and the response is a death threat. I'm not saying it's ok to be rude. But threats and violence are not a rational response to a faux pas. I would go as far as to say there is something wrong with anyone who thinks that it is ok.

It's not that I've never been in line and someone is being rude and I thought "I wanna punch that guy in the nose". Sure I think that. But then my brain goes, "What are you thinking, that's dumb, don't punch people in the nose" and I realize that punching someone in the nose is a terrible response. Saying "stop being a jerk or I'll punch you in the nose" is almost as bad. Implying the threat by balling your fists and staring the dude down is only a small step down from that.

This reminds me of that girl on tumblr who claimed she tried to intervene between some douche and his girlfriend who he was yelling at (she was crying) and he headbutted this girl and promptly got arrested for assault. She posted a picture of herself to show the black eye and rather than both eyes being totally bruised and red, she had a bit of brown smudged underneath one eye. Someone pointed this (among several other plot holes) out and she freaked out

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
If you're talking about what I think you are, she didn't freak out and someone else posted a news article about it.

Christopher Robin
Apr 28, 2013

somepartsareme posted:

If you're talking about what I think you are, she didn't freak out and someone else posted a news article about it.

Maybe it was someone else who freaked out then? It's been a really long time since I've seen anyone reblog it.

For more content: one time a girl told me a story that her friend was kidnapped but the kidnappers didn't check her so she still had her cell phone and was tweeting for help and got rescued because of her tweets.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Retter posted:

Maybe it was someone else who freaked out then? It's been a really long time since I've seen anyone reblog it.

For more content: one time a girl told me a story that her friend was kidnapped but the kidnappers didn't check her so she still had her cell phone and was tweeting for help and got rescued because of her tweets.

"And that's why if you love me you'll let me be on my cellphone during dinner, MOOOOOOM!"

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

quote:

(My husband and I wed three weeks before he leaves for Afghanistan, so we decide to postpone our honeymoon until after he comes home. A year later, we finally find time for our honeymoon and decide to go to Vegas. As we’re boarding the plane, we’ve decided to wear what we had worn for the wedding so we can arrive in style: he’s in his formal Army dress uniform, while I’m in my cocktail-length wedding dress.)

Flight Attendant: “We would now like to invite our first class passengers and any members of the military in uniform and their guests to board.”

(As we get up to board, a male passenger scoffs loudly.)

Passenger: “That’s bulls***! Why should that f** get to board first?!”

(There are gasps from the other passengers.)

Passenger: “F***ing murderer! You should be ashamed of yourself.”

(At this point, my husband and I are beet red with anger and embarrassment, but we choose to ignore this man and board the plane. After the rest of the plane has boarded, a member of the flight crew approaches us in coach.)

Flight Attendant: “Sir, ma’am: two of our passengers would like to offer you their seats in first class.”

Me: *shocked* “You’re kidding!”

Flight Attendant: “Not at all, ma’am. They’ve cleared it with us, and would like to switch seats with you before we take off, in recognition of your service.”

(As we stand up, the other passengers take interest. An older gentleman and his wife began to make their way back from first class, obviously the couple who had offered their seats to us.)

Gentleman Passenger: “Are you folks on your honeymoon?”

Husband: “Yes, sir.”

Gentleman Passenger: “Wonderful.” *in full voice, so the whole plane can hear* “My wife and I would take it as a personal favor to us if you would sit in our seats up in first class. I served in the military, as did my father, as well as two of our sons, one of whom is no longer with us. And I wanted to let you both know how proud we are to be flying with you today and for everything you’ve done for us and our country. I’m dreadfully sorry for the way you were treated when you were boarding, and we hope you enjoy the seats and have a lovely honeymoon and a wonderful life together.”

(By now, I am in tears, and the man shakes my husband’s hand while his wife gave me a big hug. We went up to first class and the gentleman and his wife took our seats in couch to applause from the whole plane and flight crew. Furthermore, the crew treated us like royalty for the whole flight. We were told upon disembarking that the people who were seated next to the passenger who had slurred us in the first place had asked to be moved away from him, and that he was given enough dirty looks and reproachful comments that he pouted for the entire flight.)

:911:

What probably happened:
My husband and I are going on our honeymoon after he served in Afghanistan. We have lovely seats on our plane. We got to board first because he's wearing his uniform. Nobody gave a poo poo, since they were too busy playing with their phones.
They gave us peanuts.

Edit: Because... :wtf:

quote:

(I work at a department store as a cashier. I also have a medical condition where I must take a heavy amount of steroids, and a side effect of this is that I’m a bit chunky. I’m ringing up a customer.)

Me: “Hi, did you find everything okay?”

Customer: “Oh, my dear, how can they force a woman in your condition to stand at a cash register all day? Your ankles must be so swollen! When are you due?”

(Suddenly, she reaches across the counter and rubs my belly, totally invading my personal space.)

Me: “In about five years, after I finish college, get married, and get a job that pays above minimum wage. I’m fat, not pregnant, lady. And I do not remember giving you permission to put your hands on my body.”

(The customer turns beet red, mumbles something, and abruptly leaves all her merchandise on the counter. I get a round of applause from the rest of the customers in line.)

Next Customer in line: “I would have hit her if I were you.”

Redrum and Coke has a new favorite as of 01:38 on Jul 4, 2013

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Eh, the snappy retort is obviously STDH, but some people really do lose all sense of social appropriateness when presented with a pregnant lady. Or a lady who looks pregnant due to steroids, I suppose.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

Crow Jane posted:

Eh, the snappy retort is obviously STDH, but some people really do lose all sense of social appropriateness when presented with a pregnant lady. Or a lady who looks pregnant due to steroids, I suppose.

Can confirm, wife currently pregnant...

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Same forum, different thread: I mentioned how much I hate watching people at conventions try to "train" other people in fighting styles they don't understand (mostly because I'd watched a guy tell someone else to do something that would guarantee self-injury and stepped in before his "student" hurt herself), and got the following story in return (paraphrased):
"My master caught me teaching his secret sword style to another student. He told me I had to duel him with live steel as my punishment. During the duel, his sword went through my hand. We went to the emergency room after the duel and told them I got the injury working with tools."
I met that guy. He doesn't have a scar.

But did you check his character sheet? It's probably right under the skill ranks in Secret Sword Style.

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*

junan_paalla posted:

A lot of people think my library job is more exciting than it is and it's not. I don't list my job on my OKC anymore because I get asked about "the most interesting stories" I've had at the library and I don't have any (the two later aren't really interesting), and get called a boring bitch. I'm not a sexy librarian nympho, there isn't sex in the stacks, don't have a thing for academics/nerds/neckbeards, etc.

I've only had two creeps.

First: while I had my back turned to get materials for a visitor, they came behind the desk, really close to me, but my boss saw on the security camera and came out and told me to go shelve boxes for a while instead. Later, she told me to be more careful.

Second: a guy tried to cross-reference a yearbook and a restricted directory to booty call old classmates. Request denied by my boss.

No violence, no threats, just lovely things that happened and only twice.

Lap-Lem posted:

The Disney "Pan Fan" I know does this poo poo all the time. I don't even hang out with her or her friends, but they're loud enough that my friends and I can hear them from the other side of class/the cafeteria/the hall. Constantly threatens: friends, enemies, even fictional characters.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Non Serviam posted:

:911:

What probably happened:
My husband and I are going on our honeymoon after he served in Afghanistan. We have lovely seats on our plane. We got to board first because he's wearing his uniform. Nobody gave a poo poo, since they were too busy playing with their phones.
They gave us peanuts.

Edit: Because... :wtf:

I'm always perplex in front of those "patriotism/military loving" stories. Are people actually like that in the US ? I don't think I've ever seen anything like that in Europe. I mean I guess most people respect soldiers but according to these stories there seems to be literally veneration towards them.

And is is actually a thing that uniformed soldiers get to board first ?

E : VVV Are you sure those aren't pilots ? :v:

Fathis Munk has a new favorite as of 10:22 on Jul 4, 2013

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Fathis Munk posted:

Not actually soldiers but everytime I'm waiting to board a plane there are always 2 people in uniform who board before anyone else, and they get to sit right at the front.

Understandably I scoff and make snide remarks as they board, and people applaud me.

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

reddit posted:

The following events, due to their nature, are only alleged to have happened: Someone resembling myself, was in a fraternity in college. Pranking was par for the course. However, it should be said, we were quite good at pranking. Usually it wasn't malicious; more so simply creative and funny. But this one time, a rival fraternity took it a little to far with us, so we were forced to whip out a trump card prank, (allegedly)....this is what what went down.
We had security cameras outside of our fraternity house. Right after school let out around the beginning of June, a rival fraternity stole our letters. And they took a poo poo in the drivers seat of my personal vehicle. We saw what fraternity was responsible. And thus, there would be hell to pay.
We threw a party that weekend and padlocked out bathroom doors shut. All peeing and making GBS threads via all patrons, was to be done into plastic five gallon buckets in plywood "stalls" we built on several porches of our triple decker. We capped 16 buckets of loving awful, & let these ferment for like a week and a half in unrelenting 90 degree heat.
One of our brother's fathers owns a pyrotechnics company that sets off 90% of the fireworks in the Northeast U.S.....so we got some of his equipment, some detonation wires, a detonator, and 16 quarter sticks of dynamite.
That Sunday night, 4 in the morning, we take 2 rented, nondescript vans (with cardboard over the plates) and take the seats out from them, load 16 buckets of fermented poo poo & piss into them with 10 of my fraternity brothers. Each of these buckets is capped, with a hole drilled in the top. Inside each bucket is a quarter stick, wired up to some det wire, wired up to a panel detonator (one where you just hit a single switch and it will set off multiple charges simultaneously).
We rolled up to their house just prior to the asscrack of dawn, cardboard over the licence plates, ski masks, all black gear, and unloaded the buckets onto their lawn and had one brother go try and pick the lock. The douche bags LEFT THE DOOR OPEN. So everyone took one or two buckets a piece and hurriedly but quietly proceeded into the house, and put at least one in every room on the ground floor. After this was done (which took all of 10 seconds, as we had lined up the buckets in the order they were wired on the lawn prior to making our entry and just kind of circled them around the ground floor.....) We went outside and emptied the gas out of an airhorn. The lights go on. We wait five seconds or so, till we hear the first, "What the gently caress..."
BANG! Every window on the ground floor of the house blows out. And everything is coated in a fine mist of fermented fecal matter, piss and wet nasty TP. We see a lone brother of theirs, stagger out the door, and fall to his knees screaming, "I can't hear, what happened....gently caress!" Covered head to toe in shitspray so dank he had changed races. We peeled out laughing our asses off. poo poo in my car? gently caress all y'all, in the rear end, with a Sequoia shaft, sideways, with no lube. Hope my poo poo tasted good......there is no way Servepro could make that like it never even happened.....

He then spent the rest of the day defending himself in the comments.

Maybe someone who knows more about this stuff could say if that's true.

NoUU has a new favorite as of 10:45 on Jul 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Fathis Munk posted:

I think the last time this came up in the thread someone confirmed that this invitation is often extended but usually declined due to most military personnel being normal people who would be embarrassed to walk up and board ahead of everyone.

All on Black has a new favorite as of 10:49 on Jul 4, 2013

• Locked thread