Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

i wanted a game about giant monsters loving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

drunks don't drink beer you need a bottle opener for

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
double fine delivers the lols

quote:

After crunching some numbers, Schafer and co found that Act 1 of the game wouldn’t be ready until July of next year, pushing the full game off into the distant reaches of 2015. That put them in a tough spot, as funds just didn’t allow for that kind of scope. Schafer claimed that, at this rate, they’d need to axe 75 percent of the game. Yikes. So here’s what he came up with instead:

“Going back to Kickstarter for it seemed wrong. Clearly, any overages were going to have to be paid by Double Fine, with our own money from the sales of our other games. That actually makes a lot of sense and we feel good about it. We have been making more money since we began self-publishing our games, but unfortunately it still would not be enough.”

Then we had a strange idea. What if we made some modest cuts in order to finish the first half of the game by January instead of July, and then released that finished, polished half of the game on Steam Early Access? Backers would still have the option of not looking at it, of course, but those who were sick of waiting wouldn’t have to wait any more. They could play the first half of the game in January!”

It is a pretty strange place for a multi-million dollar Kickstarter to end up, though – especially after it began with a baseline goal of just $400,000...

quality kickstartin'

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

PleasingFungus posted:

double fine delivers the lols

quality kickstartin'

maybe whine about being betrayed by your Kickstarter over in Games

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
crunching some numbers seems like a good thing to do before you make a kickstarter, but I dunno i'm probably not kickstarter executive material

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I've only kickstarted a couple things due to disaster potential

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
the only ks ive backed that turned out to be a disaster was the settlers of catan board

oh boy

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Al! posted:

maybe whine about being betrayed by your Kickstarter over in Games

luckily, I wasn't dumb enough to back it

$3.4M for a loving point and click adventure game, christ

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
"We'll split the game up into episodic content, allowing for the same amount of stuff to be delivered eventually but with a timeline that means people get to see some content sooner!" said Valve, planning Half Life 3.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i haven't had any game related kickstarters deliver. ...yet... maybe ever

music kickstarters have been 100% quick fulfillment tho

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

hubris.height posted:

i haven't had any game related kickstarters deliver. ...yet... maybe ever

music kickstarters have been 100% quick fulfillment tho

music usually means the song are written, or at least have a bit of pre-production and the kickstarter money is for studio time, promotion etc.

however, lovely local bands have cottoned on to this thinking kickstarter is a magical money well and all i can do is lol

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i think one of the reasons the game got so big was because they had to keep adding features to the game as rewards for meeting price goals. so it seems pretty likely they could bite off more than they could chew i that process. of course everyone on kick starter has no idea what they're doing.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

penus de milo posted:

"We'll split the game up into episodic content, allowing for the same amount of stuff to be delivered eventually but with a timeline that means people get to see some content sooner!" said Valve, planning Half Life 3.

"agile"

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Heresiarch posted:

this is what one of the links looks like, it's pretty convenient since you don't have to interpret a schedule, it just says when the next bus is due
idk making you click a link to load a second page to actually see the timetable seems like bad ux design

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
why doesn't your scrubby city have next bus displays at bus stops?

alternatively, how come no one's made an app for that?

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
do your buses even talk?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

WorkingPeer posted:

when was the last time you saw an accurate buss timetable

makes u think

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jony ive aces posted:

idk making you click a link to load a second page to actually see the timetable seems like bad ux design

i got a bus for the first time in ages and they had a qr code to do something similar but then you had to enter a code to see details for your stop which is a shame as if the qr code was stop-specific it would have been quite nice

the sign itself is for that specific bus stop so its not a printing thing just nobody managing the QR codes properly

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Radio Paranoia posted:

makes u think

i think those displays are real-time, using gps

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
in brisbane the more important bus stops have led displays like that

but it's not gps based so you'll see a bus tick down from "1 minute" to "due" to disappearing off the list then a few minutes later it will actually arrive

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

WorkingPeer posted:

yup

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

i wanted a game about giant loving monsters beating the poo poo out of each other not lovely anime ip vs capcom 3
they should license the beastie boys intergalactic video

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

jony ive aces posted:

in brisbane the more important bus stops have led displays like that

but it's not gps based so you'll see a bus tick down from "1 minute" to "due" to disappearing off the list then a few minutes later it will actually arrive

lol as if there's anywhere important to go in brisbane

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jony ive aces posted:

they should license the beastie boys intergalactic video

i would play the poo poo out of a game based on the video for sabotage

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

ahmeni posted:

yeah

out of brisbane

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
cairns is pretty nice tho

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

ahmeni posted:

hospitals

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

qntm posted:

"agile"

im the 'loath' column in the half-life team's retrospectives

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

goddamnedtwisto posted:

kane and lynch: vice city

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
with some saints row 3 jumping out of exploding planes stuff from the body movin video

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

kane and lynch: vice city

Kickstart that poo poo.

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Skeleton Apologist posted:

Kickstart that poo poo.

and superman that ho

Edje
Aug 31, 2006

WorkingPeer posted:

except at the start of the route when it counts down to due then vanishes whilst you glare at the driver lighting another cigarette. but lol i'd do that if all i did all day was driver in london taffic

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

WorkingPeer posted:

when i was unemployed i thought about this

Radio Paranoia posted:

makes u think

we kinda have departure leds but they're stupid inaccurate

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Boston has GPS on every bus and train sans the Green line.

There's a bunch of apps that you can get that tell you when the next 3-4 bus/trains will arrive

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

instead of arrival/departure times id like a schedule for when a homeless guy is gonna drop a deuce in the bus stops. that would be way more helpful.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
one of the guys at my stop today was wearing a red padded soft helmet

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

i prefer a football helmet with the facemask removed

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

there was at least one group that did this for apb but then the game sucked so welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

PleasureKevin posted:

i think one of the reasons the game got so big was because they had to keep adding features to the game as rewards for meeting price goals. so it seems pretty likely they could bite off more than they could chew i that process. of course everyone on kick starter has no idea what they're doing.

I thought that too, but nope, no stretch goals

they're just bad with money

penus de milo posted:

this never stopped getting funnier

(ep 2 was released a year late; ep 3, of course...)

• Locked thread