Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ah, I forgot about this wonderful thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
God drat it, gently caress you all for making me lose an evening.

You know what my favorite page is? This one, because it doesn't suck me into constantly hitting to the next page to relive the awesome moments.

I suspect this is the best explanation we'll get of what went down back when Reynard got captured by the court. At this point, I don't think there are any details that particularly matter any more.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Line Feed posted:

I think I can do a pretty darn good Coyote voice. I should record myself reading some lines some time. :v:

Speaking of, how come there isn't an awesome fandub of GC like there is of Cucumber Quest?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Begemot posted:

I love Gunnerkrigg robots. They're so adorably naive.
That's not naive, this is naive.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Fecha posted:

Speaking of, how come there isn't an awesome fandub of GC like there is of Cucumber Quest?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g3SMMp9pwM

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Is it just me or is the voice actress for Antimony... not very good at all? The accent feels really forced to me. Couldn't really get far into it. Shame, the animation was fine.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Isn't there a brief video somewhere of Annie speaking, with a pitch-shifted Kate Rusby snippet as the audio? That one seemed to work really well.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Blasmeister posted:

Is it just me or is the voice actress for Antimony... not very good at all? The accent feels really forced to me. Couldn't really get far into it. Shame, the animation was fine.

"Anne-timony"... really? I've been pronouncing it "Anne-ti-mony" Like alimony.

I realise now that this doesn't come across well in text but that reading just bugs me somehow. The accent also kinda sounds like someone from the continent doing an English accent, I dunno, it's odd. I can't hear even a trace of Bahnsley in there :colbert:

Checking the second one, I have no idea what the hell is up with Anja's accent. Also Kat is not Scottish in this: WORTHLESS!

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 3, 2013

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?

Elyv posted:

That's not naive, this is naive.

Man these pages have become retroactively heartbreaking

I didn't really put together until just now how that childlike naivety is really the main consistent feature of all the court robots. It's a weird contrast to their creator, who should have known better.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Heavy Zed posted:

Man these pages have become retroactively heartbreaking

I didn't really put together until just now how that childlike naivety is really the main consistent feature of all the court robots. It's a weird contrast to their creator, who should have known better.

That horrible smile in panel 3, Diego truly was a sack of poo poo. I do remember some guy claiming Jeanne deserved her fate for destroying those little robots on the shelf :psyduck:

derailed
Apr 3, 2004

As seen in your dreams!
I just finished reading 'Annie in the Forest' part 1 and I really enjoyed it. Has Tom mentioned an ETA for part 2?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hetty's nothing if not pragmatic.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ChairMaster posted:

Hetty's nothing if not pragmatic.

And completely Batshit Insane. Seriously the first, last and best thing she seems to think of is "kill something and steal its power", what was she in the forest a flipping lamprey spirit?

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 3, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey, she's just a solution-oriented thinker. Nothing wrong with that <:mad:>

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Featured in this page: close-ups of her red eyes and her boots, both of which seem eerily similar to Coyote's. Yes I am totally just barking up a tree.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 3, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh Hetty. :3:

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Starting to agree with the guy who said Hetty's boots look like Coyote's feet.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

:stare:
Jesus, Hetty.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

pandaK posted:

Featured in this page: close-ups of her red eyes and her boots, both of which seem eerily similar to Coyote's. Yes I am totally just barking up a tree.

In what way are her eyes remotely similar to Coyote's?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

pandaK posted:

Don't doll feet tend to be pretty stubby so you can take various pairs of shoes on and off without the feet getting in the way? I mean I didn't play with dolls growing up, but what I saw from my sisters collection probably wouldn't have looked super dissimilar from Hetty's.

Also Coyote is sworn not to interfere with the Court side of the river and only seems capable of coming over when the court allows it for negotiations. Somehow coming over to corrupt Reynard and also annoy the living poo poo out of some random dude seems like it would fall under the definition of interfering with stuff on the court side of the river.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Apart from being brown and having lines on them I see no similarity in the form of Hettys feet and Coyotes. The only similarity between the two is that they are both dicks. Such dicks.

Laser Cow fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 3, 2013

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

cafel posted:

Also Coyote is sworn not to interfere with the Court side of the river and only seems capable of coming over when the court allows it for negotiations. Somehow coming over to corrupt Reynard and also annoy the living poo poo out of some random dude seems like it would fall under the definition of interfering with stuff on the court side of the river.
Also, knowing the Court, there are probably dozens of detection and early warning systems that would poo poo themselves if a Fuckoff Class etheric being like Coyote crossed the border.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

cafel posted:

Also Coyote is sworn not to interfere with the Court side of the river

The exact words from Anja are "leave everyone on our side alone" -- and "our side" is ambiguous. Is it physical side, or political side? If he promised to leave Court-affiliated people alone, there's still a huge loophole in that Renard isn't Court-affiliated. He's a Forest-affiliated prisoner.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It's like she only just realised "Hey! Oh my god, you could KILL her!"

Actually, I think that's got to be one of my favourite panels.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jul 3, 2013

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

@gunnerkrigg at 3:02PM posted:

Looks like there are some more copies of Annie In The Forest available at Topatoco! http://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TO&Product_Code=GK-AITFP1&Category_Code=GK

@gunnerkrigg at 3:40PM posted:

Okay! It's sold out again. But stay tuned, because I'm getting a full reprint run made right now.

That was pretty quick.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

DontMockMySmock posted:

In what way are her eyes remotely similar to Coyote's?

They are red and scary?

cafel posted:

Don't doll feet tend to be pretty stubby so you can take various pairs of shoes on and off without the feet getting in the way? I mean I didn't play with dolls growing up, but what I saw from my sisters collection probably wouldn't have looked super dissimilar from Hetty's.

I kinda thought she was 'wearing' heels, like these:

Only Coyote-inspired. Seriously, they do seem like his legs.....

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dienes posted:

They are red and scary?
Coyote's eyes are a pupil, surrounded by white, surrounded by a blue ring, surrounded by a red ring. Hers are a pupil, surrounded by red, surrounded by white, no blue at all.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
That's a good point, Hetty! Fits with the title card of this chapter, too! :stare:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Cat Mattress posted:

The exact words from Anja are "leave everyone on our side alone" -- and "our side" is ambiguous. Is it physical side, or political side? If he promised to leave Court-affiliated people alone, there's still a huge loophole in that Renard isn't Court-affiliated. He's a Forest-affiliated prisoner.

Also note that Annie isn't Court affiliated any more, and Reynardine is her property so....

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Even if Annie and Renard don't count as Court people, I'm pretty sure the agreement would be broken if coyote started putting glass fibre in Court beds.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

A capital idea, Hetty!

If friday's comic doesn't have Renard taking wolf form and suggesting Hetty to never ever say that again, I'm gonna be a bit disappointed in him.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Splicer posted:

Coyote's eyes are a pupil, surrounded by white, surrounded by a blue ring, surrounded by a red ring. Hers are a pupil, surrounded by red, surrounded by white, no blue at all.

Her pupil also appears to have 7~8 thin points like a star...which might just be iris detail, but it looks off to me.

The Coyote connection does seem to be gaining steam, but now I'm just thinking she's someone that knows Coyote and is being used by him...or perhaps she's using him! (Yeah right.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I don't think she is Coyote directly, but she might still be one of his agents. The doll is possessed, so that body tells us nothing about who she was originally. A forest dweller? A glass-eyed person?

Probably something else entirely, but at this point there's no way to know.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
I seriously doubt that anyone directly taking barking (:haw:) orders from Coyote is going to try and goad Renard into killing his own new ambassador.

I'm gonna assume the null hypothesis here and go with Hetty independently being a bad person

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Ya, I don't see Hetty being Coyote and just flat out suggesting Renard kill Annie. I know Coyote convinced Renard to kill someone before, but the guy Renard possessed probably never even met Coyote.

Basically, I don't think Coyote would just toss aside a toy he's been enjoying so quickly. I assume Hetty is just a viscous spirit possessing that doll.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I reckon she's one of those crazy Toy Fundamentalists. She's totally in favour of killing the oppressive humans, but lacking the means/courage to do so herself, she's making do with being a really bad person and encouraging other's to do the killing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Ya, I don't see Hetty being Coyote and just flat out suggesting Renard kill Annie. I know Coyote convinced Renard to kill someone before, but the guy Renard possessed probably never even met Coyote.

Basically, I don't think Coyote would just toss aside a toy he's been enjoying so quickly. I assume Hetty is just a viscous spirit possessing that doll.

Maybe he/she knows that Renard never would and is just riling him up?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Fangz posted:

Maybe he/she knows that Renard never would and is just riling him up?

That's what I was thinking actually.

Hetty's whole thing could just be this and she's not really serious about anything...but then you look at this:

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
Yeah she seems pretty sincere and is probably a sociopath. It's not that she likes violence, but sometimes it does eliminate problems so...

I also don't think Coyote would take on a disguise and then have little clues on him about his true identity unless he wanted to be recognized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Heavy Zed posted:

Yeah she seems pretty sincere and is probably a sociopath. It's not that she likes violence, but sometimes it does eliminate problems so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vexLxzc9TWA&t=56s
Truth in the mouth of babes.