Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
Any fanfic excerpts to share?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Some additional undocumented stuff regarding the event: Possible Spoilers, tagging in case someone cares about surprises still:

There is a reward for defeating each boss, which appears to be a loot bag. These bags are called 'Genizah of the X' X being a relation to the boss you kill. One is Genizah of the Flowing Stone, another is the Genizah of the Lunar Metal. There are nine total. The contents of the bags are unknown, but I will make an educated guess on what is inside; 8 black bullions and/or a pet based off the boss.

The pets are named similar to the bags, only their title is Shem of the X.

• Pitiqtu Nasiru - Genizah/Shem of the Living Clay - Kingsmouth
  • Anzanunzu Nasiru - Genizah/Shem of the Raging Torrent - Savage Coast
  • Abnu Nasiru - Genizah/Shem of the Flowing Stone - Blue Mountain
  • Isatis Nasiru - Genizah/Shem of the Liquid Fire - Scorched Desert
  • Basi Nasiru - Genizah/Shem of the Unforgiving Sand - City of the Sun God
  • Halbu Nasiru - Genizah/Shem of the Elder Forest - Somewhere in Besieged Farmlands
  • Erbu Nasiru - Genizah/Shem of the Crawling Plague - Somewhere in Shadowy Forest
  • Kasu Nasiru - Genizah/Shem of the Frozen Truth - Somewhere in Carpathian Fangs
  • Kaspu Nasiru - Genizah/Shem of the Lunar Metal - Fusang

There are 9 pieces of new lore, located near where the bosses spawn at.

For the curious with a quick google search, Shem and Genizah appear to be Hebrew in nature. Genizah is a temporary repository. Shem is a little more open ended and could mean a few things, maybe name or descendant here.

I think I posted the mission completion texts earlier.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 5, 2013

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=71615

Morteia posted:

We’ve done this dance once already, so let’s just cut to the chase. July 5th is going to come around, and, well, I’m not going to be here anymore. That’s right, as of July 5th, I will no longer be working for Funcom or be your Community Manager.

Who the gently caress is this?

Oh, its a Community Manager with 18 total posts last month.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think Plat would have had dealings with her :lol:

And I really hope I will be able to find people on Friday to run this event stuff because that's the only time I can play during the anniversary stuff :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Reverend Dr posted:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=71615

Who the gently caress is this?

Oh, its a Community Manager with 18 total posts last month.

Last time she stepped down the pubbies clamored for a statue in Kingsmoth in her honor. Never mind the rest of the Funcom devs that lost their jobs. This community manager that barely manages the community deserves one.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

Cleretic posted:

The Dragon are hard to work with both in and out of character. Their methodology is so profoundly hosed up and overly complicated that it's hard to get a read on them in any capacity. I actually consider it a bit fortunate that they just come right out in their introduction and mark themselves as kidnapping rapists, so if all else fails there's some pretty sound evidence to hate them right there.

I guess the thing about the Dragon is they're as likely build 100 homeless shelters as they are to murder 100 homeless guys.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
I admit, trash talking Templars is fun. I spent an hour on Fusang doing it once and it was pretty entertaining. Which is probably why I was sorted into Slytherin picked Illuminati in the first place.

Bursk
Nov 12, 2007

Bank of Bursk

orcane posted:

The servers are global (actually they're in the US), there's only one game version and I think your billing address/location only determines what currency they charge you for their funbux/subscriptions.

Thanks. I got a key and entered it on my account page (I made an account a couple of weeks ago using a buddy key, but haven't been able to play yet). It was accepted fine, but the only thing I want to query is that it says 'Membership No Membership' and 'Membership valid until 2013-08-01 20:07:28'. What does this valid until date mean? What will change on that date?

Edit: Oh, right, it's this? - 'New players will get the benefits of a membership for one month. This includes use of The Time Accelerator XP buff item, a 10% discount in the store, an item of the month, and 1200 bonus points (though you will only receive the 1200 bonus points after solving 30 missions). If new users choose not to renew their membership, they will lose ongoing access to these benefits.'

Bah, and I'm not ready to start playing yet. I applied the key right away to check if it would work. I guess it's no biggie if I'd lose access to those benefits anyhow (I don't plan to subscribe).

Bursk fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 2, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Bursk posted:

Subscription Stuffs

You should be able to complete 30 missions playing casually on and off during that month, and use those bonus points to pick up either a outfit to start your pretty pretty princess career or one of the issue pack DLC's.

The other rewards are kinda meh and wont cause a loss of sleep.

Bursk
Nov 12, 2007

Bank of Bursk
Okay, thank you.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
We just had a condenser drop in Hell Eternal at the final boss!

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I hadn't realized that Luminata (the girl in the Romany camp) actually says she's been told that so many people with magic powers are showing up because Gaia is protecting herself. It was an ambient line, has that always been there?

**Enjoy your single extra bullion.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Cheston posted:

I hadn't realized that Luminata (the girl in the Romany camp) actually says she's been told that so many people with magic powers are showing up because Gaia is protecting herself. It was an ambient line, has that always been there?
Yeah I heard that when I was hanging out there the other day. She also mentions that Zaha likes girls :j: Don't remember if it was pre or post-patch though.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
drat, I won't be able to play this week - I will be on holiday till Sunday :(

I bet in the end there will be thousands of pieces of lore that will be unattainable for people because they missed these events. Kind of lame.

The1DevoidoName
Dec 3, 2004
A blackgaurd whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be.
I wanted to try this world of surreptitious sorcery.

Can someone be so good as to PM me a referral key?

VVV Thank you VVV

The1DevoidoName fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 3, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

The1DevoidoName posted:

Sent.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

The1DevoidoName posted:

Key: 3G5YJMD7V99ZK22XC776

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Need goons to kill a guardian, Kill and I found one!

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
Pet is totally random. Bag can drop pet... or green signet bag. Or bullion. or blue bag. So... funcompetence. Very pissed. Like I have time to camp 9 bosses over and over within just 5 days? Was thinking I'd be lucky to get them once.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

HughGRect posted:

Need goons to kill a guardian, Kill and I found one!

Yep yep! Get on mumble!

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
In good fashion, I'm completing the associated missions and getting cooldowns - but not actual kill credit for the achievement.

:ohdear:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Marx posted:

In good fashion, I'm completing the associated missions and getting cooldowns - but not actual kill credit for the achievement.

:ohdear:

Don't worry, all of funcom NA will likely be on vacation for the entire event, so nothing will get fixed.

Wish I could get on before tomorrow, oh well.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

GEMorris posted:

Don't worry, all of funcom NA will likely be on vacation for the entire event, so nothing will get fixed.

Wish I could get on before tomorrow, oh well.

Why do they always do events like this during vacation periods, I really don't get it.

Well, I mean, I do - they want people to play. But c'mon now.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
This is killing me waiting...

Daddar
Nov 13, 2003

What the fuck is the Internet?
I'm trying to register for the trial that I got through the email but it keeps telling me to retype the password. I've tried about 6 different passwords and it's rejecting anything I try. How do I make a freaking account for this dumb game?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

JayJay posted:

:goonsay:

Except that I have a full time job, and limited gaming hours. So I prefer to spend my TSW time killing zombies and demons, rather than learning latin, music composition and a bunch of poo poo I only need to get through for a huge XP boost to help me kill zombies and demons faster. Guess I am just non-repenting cheater scum.

I do the quest steps that are straight forward, find an abandoned car, follow a GPS, follow a map using a monocle, etc. But I sure as hell am not going to spend hours trying to figure out circuits, glyphs and obscure secret access codes.

If this is what you're playing TSW for, there really are better games for you. You're basically forgoing what makes it unique and interesting in the name of things that many other games do far better. It's a bizarre choice, to me.

Cleretic posted:

This is literally exactly how I play it.

My character's not a very nice person face-to-face, she by default hates pretty much everybody, but she's also entirely about helping out humanity, not herself; she runs a charity devoted to providing education supplies to the masses, because she thinks that proper education would solve most of the world's problems.

She's with the Illuminati for exactly this reason: They're by far the most open to actually not being a lovely person, which I admit is surprising. The trick is knowing that 'profiteering' and 'beneficial for most people' aren't actually mutually exclusive. The Illuminati are totally on board with altruistic plans, just as long as they can sneak in something they can use to some capacity in the sixth paragraph of section 17. The Templars have a vested interest in keeping everyone as far under their bootheel as possible, so they're sure as gently caress not going to help a single goddamn person out of the kindness of their hearts; the only reason they're seen as 'the good guys' is because they're the only ones with the sense to lie about it.

The Dragon are hard to work with both in and out of character. Their methodology is so profoundly hosed up and overly complicated that it's hard to get a read on them in any capacity. I actually consider it a bit fortunate that they just come right out in their introduction and mark themselves as kidnapping rapists, so if all else fails there's some pretty sound evidence to hate them right there.

The Dragon is kind of impossible to roleplay because the Dragon is a plot device. They require information and skills no player character could possibly have to accurately do their thing, which is to say, manipulation on a grand scale by way of events so small as to make their involvement imperceptible.

The Dragon are totalitarians, even moreso than the Templars, in a manner of speaking. The difference is the Dragon is determined to achieve complete control in such a way that no one is aware they're being controlled. An illusion of freedom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbinE6bx8xM

Edit: I GUESS you could roleplay a Dragon character more along the operative lines, playing up the "forget your own name, ultra zealot for the cause" angle but that's not really...something that would have much reason to interact with people so again, hard to roleplay. But again that's kind of a failing of MMORPG roleplay is you're trying to roleplay in a static environment, so you ultimately pretty much have nothing but "tavern RP" and if your concept doesn't support "tavern RP" it's a no go. Have I mentioned that MMORPG roleplaying is terrible?

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 3, 2013

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Could someone please email me a referral key (EDIT: THANKS!)

Stangg fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 3, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Did it. ATNFDHMRXNEXMHM22B83

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Man, has Funcom let ArenaNet design these bosses? There's a lot of 0s on these HP bars, if we didn't have 400-odd folks at every instance they'd be a massive pain.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Is there a way to tell where these event monsters will be in advance other then random luck?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

xanthan posted:

Is there a way to tell where these event monsters will be in advance other then random luck?

The spawn points are Scrapyard for Kingsmouth, the west coast for SC, and the Abandoned Factory for BM. Only Solomon Isle (and Fusang, so I've heard) bosses are active right now.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

xanthan posted:

You can also join the pubbie channel #anniversity. Yes they misspelled it, but there are 300+ people shouting where the monsters are currently. Its useful, if chaotic.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

Not So Fast posted:

The spawn points are Scrapyard for Kingsmouth, the west coast for SC, and the Abandoned Factory for BM. Only Solomon Isle (and Fusang, so I've heard) bosses are active right now.

And I'm pretty sure the people that say they downed fusang at the moment are lying.

Generally because they're the same people that said it was perfectly fine and totally not hard at all.

edit:

quote:

Hey Guys,

Given the issues with Fusang right now, and the fact that some players can't enter it, we will be removing Kaspu Nasiru from the Achievement "The Bigger They Are". The golem himself will remain and his current reward list will remain unchanged.

On Monday, we will also be giving out a special reward to all players that have completed this achievement by killing the other 8 golems.

Furthermore all the anniversary related lore will be lingering for a few extra weeks after the event ends. This should give everybody a chance to complete the achievement "Written in Stone".

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
So I recently reinstalled this for the anniversary. Can someone bring me up to speed on the silver and gold coins in the item store? I'm a "grandmaster" and got some bonus points to spend, but what's the silver coin stuff?

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

the panacea posted:

So I recently reinstalled this for the anniversary. Can someone bring me up to speed on the silver and gold coins in the item store? I'm a "grandmaster" and got some bonus points to spend, but what's the silver coin stuff?

The silver coins are your pool of veteran reward points, there's stuff you can buy with it.

Nothing really good but eventually who knows.

Gold coins are your funcom bux, you can use those to buy things and as a grandmaster you get a monthly stipend. You can use that to buy issues and pretty princess dressup stuff.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Daddar posted:

I'm trying to register for the trial that I got through the email but it keeps telling me to retype the password. I've tried about 6 different passwords and it's rejecting anything I try. How do I make a freaking account for this dumb game?
I think it only accepts letters and numbers, no special characters. I seem to remember having a similar problem when trying to sign up.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Ok thanks for the info. How do the account wide unlocks work? I bought 2 outfits and nothing shows up on my other characters :iiam:.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

Some of the outfits or items are gender specific, otherwise I don't know.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Marx posted:

Some of the outfits or items are gender specific, otherwise I don't know.
IIRC all of them are gender specific, even if you buy the account-wide unlocks for 25% more.

Usually you also have to get the items from "delivered items", on characters on which you didn't buy the new clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the panacea
May 10, 2008

OH come on. I thought I'd atleast get the non gender specific one's on all characters. That's total bullshit.

• Locked thread