Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
utada
Jun 6, 2006

I had the craziest dream last night. I was dancing the White Swan.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Is that Levar Burton?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Whoa, whoa, whoa. LeVar Burton has a 33-year-old son?

How loving old are you, Geordi?

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Captain Trips posted:

Cracker isn't even offensive.

When you're talking about something to eat with cheese or soup, no. Otherwise, it's just as frikkin' offensive as ANY OTHER RACIAL SLUR.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hahahahaha, no it isn't.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Brother Jonathan posted:

Have a picture of Vin Diesel on stilts eating pasta:

I do not understand why he isn't falling forward.

Unless his torso has been removed.

utada
Jun 6, 2006

I had the craziest dream last night. I was dancing the White Swan.

Effingham posted:

When you're talking about something to eat with cheese or soup, no. Otherwise, it's just as frikkin' offensive as ANY OTHER RACIAL SLUR.

:rolleyes:

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

ThatPazuzu posted:

I like this one. They all have a different but appropriate expression.

LeVar :allears:

EDIT (since while I was replying, everyone else mentioned it was LeVar Burton)

I'm not in the US right now, but are major news outlets STILL talking about this poo poo? Please tell me these are images from, like, the day after this news broke or something.

Mezzanine has a new favorite as of 05:04 on Jul 3, 2013

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Captain Trips posted:

To paraphrase Louis CK, it's pretty awesome being white. Not saying it's bad to be any other race, but white has pretty much got it made.

I'm a white middle-class straight male over 6 feet tall, I hit the Privilege Powerball.

A theme also explored in Lil Dicky's song, White Dude: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rnFlQAvk8U
Some NSFW bits. Nothing overly explicit but there are a few motions that aren't the cleanest.

But that's not an image, so here's one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
to paraphrase a comedian I can't remember the name of "If you won't even say one of the words, then that's the worst one"

e: Chris Lynch?

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
Well I'm a loving idiot. For some reason it never even crossed my mind that the pejorative "cracker" came from cracking a whip. Saltines always came to mind.

That's hardly an insult too. "Hey you used to be a powerful southern person with lots of money"

Come to think of it, most pejorative etymologys' are pretty basic (Negro) or just silly (Gringo).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I always though it was a saltine joke too. I don't think most of us know or care where it came from because it's obviously not the same thing.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Well I'm a loving idiot. For some reason it never even crossed my mind that the pejorative "cracker" came from cracking a whip. Saltines always came to mind.

That's hardly an insult too. "Hey you used to be a powerful southern person with lots of money"

Come to think of it, most pejorative etymologys' are pretty basic (Negro) or just silly (Gringo).

It actually comes from poor whites who lived in shanties called cracker boxes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It dates back to at least Elizabethan England, when it referred to a braggadocio who talks too much. From King John (Shakespeare): "What cracker is this ... that deafes our ears / With this abundance of superfluous breath?"

The poor Irish and Scottish immigrants down the eastern coast of the USA in the 18th century were called crackers because apparently they bragged about themselves or something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_cracker

IntangiblePanda
Nov 3, 2009

starkebn posted:

to paraphrase a comedian I can't remember the name of "If you won't even say one of the words, then that's the worst one"

e: Chris Lynch?

The comedian is John Mulaney, but I can't find a clip of this specific bit.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Jesus christ, that's actually heartbreaking.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski
Tim Wise thinks he's the Lorax but for black people

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME posted:

Tim Wise thinks he's the Lorax but for black people

I didn't watch the whole debate, but I've heard from people that did that Wise pretty much got more time than all the black people combined. :ironicat:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SplitSoul posted:

I didn't watch the whole debate, but I've heard from people that did that Wise pretty much got more time than all the black people combined. :ironicat:

If you're stupid enough to seriously ask if "cracker" or "friend of the family" is worse, you probably need to have a white guy explain it to you, or else you won't take it seriously.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

prefect posted:

If you're stupid enough to seriously ask if "cracker" or "friend of the family" is worse, you probably need to have a white guy explain it to you, or else you won't take it seriously.

Anyone who wouldn't listen to LeVar Burton is a lost cause. But you don't have to take my word for it.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

prefect posted:

Yeah, unfortunately some people really need it to come from a privileged ally to have any gravity.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Gyges posted:

Anyone who wouldn't listen to LeVar Burton is a lost cause. But you don't have to take my word for it.
I don't know, in Star Trek I thought he said he doesn't "see" race.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

ThatPazuzu posted:

I like this one. They all have a different but appropriate expression.

Wynton Marsalis (upper left) isn't the biggest fan of white folks.

edit: oops, thought I was in the meme thread.

Scarf has a new favorite as of 15:00 on Jul 3, 2013

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Gyges posted:

Has anyone told you that you're a wonderful person lately? Because you're a wonderful person.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Scarf posted:

Wynton Marsalis (upper left) isn't the biggest fan of white folks.

I'm white and I'm not the biggest fan of white folks.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Well if you read the internet, the only way for us to deal with the n-word is if everyone(white people) can say it without people getting offended :rolleyes:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That CNN discussion could have been solved in about 3 seconds if one of the speakers had the guts.

"Cracker. Cracker. Cracker. Ni-" -We are experiencing technical difficulties-

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Deaaaad honkey.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The thing about Levar Burton is he won't comment on the race issue until he has all the Data.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
stop debating the merits of racial slurs and post funny pictures you fuckin cholos

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
Every time I see N-word, all I can think is Louis CK saying it's just a way for white people to get away with saying friend of the family. You're saying the word. That's what words are. Sounds which stimulate the imagery within your head, you see/hear f-word, you think "gently caress".

That CNN segment would have been a billion times more wonderful if they used "C-word" instead. Also, potentially, more debate worthy.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Glad to see the Fear Factory still pumps out incredible pictures from their haunted house:

New Heisman trophy model?

Can't wait for the Photoshop thread for it to pop back up this Halloween:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

If you want to know Levar Burton's thoughts on race check out his novel Aftermath.

One of the plot points has to do with factories where white people harvest black people's skin so they can graft it on themselves to protect against UV rays now that the ozone layer is gone.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osNIBqUNrmY

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

D-Pad posted:

factories where white people harvest black people's skin so they can graft it on themselves to protect against UV rays now that the ozone layer is gone.

:psyduck:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think I'm getting PTSD from seeing that POS mascot.

Those pizzas sound gross

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Nativity In Black posted:

I'm white and I'm not the biggest fan of white folks.

What a refreshing intelligent view point! Do you maybe have a blog or tumblr I could read?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

SheepNameKiller posted:

Those pizzas sound gross

I dunno that "Mexican" one sounds kinda good, like one big giant nacho you slice up.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I love avocado but it would be pretty gross on a pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Hydrolith posted:

Jesus christ, that's actually heartbreaking.

It really is.

You would think the most preparation he'd need is slowly, and calmly informing the officer than he played Kunta Kinte in roots and hack reporters everywhere have been praying for the day that police mistreat him for the terrible headlines alone.

• Locked thread