Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

rugbert posted:

So if I picked up a cheap, $15 replacement on ebay where could I get it rekeyed? I would much rather have a single key for my seat, ignition, and helmet lock if I have the option.

I'd just call local locksmiths, most any should be able to do it assuming they have the tools. I brought in my ignition, picked it up the next day. They drill a hole in the side, re-set the tumbler to your key's profile, then epoxy/weld said hole shut again and boom. It's not terribly intense work.

Also, don't tell them it's a motorcycle part, just tell them that you need a lock re-keyed, they might get offput if it sounds too labor intensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Holy poo poo, you guys. If you do anything to this bike, let it be switching out the oem headlight for something better. I couldn't see a fuckin thing with the old one, it faded away like 15 feet from the drat bike. Popped in a silverstar H4 today and I can could actually see poo poo at night. Wasn't anything wrong with the oem one, either. It's just crap.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

Holy poo poo, you guys. If you do anything to this bike, let it be switching out the oem headlight for something better. I couldn't see a fuckin thing with the old one, it faded away like 15 feet from the drat bike. Popped in a silverstar H4 today and I can could actually see poo poo at night. Wasn't anything wrong with the oem one, either. It's just crap.

Do you have an amazon link for this or something? I'm getting a bunch of results for silverstar H4. I was going to look into this soon, as I can't see poo poo on dark backroads.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

This is the one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000AM8BN6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1372348522&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Technically any h4 bulb should work, since h4 is a universal designation for motorcycle headlights. The wiki has a couple more name brands that are good, I just went with the first on the list.

e: I didn't have anything better to do while drinking my coffee so I made a diagram, low beam before and after. The low on the new bulb is even better than the high on the old one, and the new high beam could probably power a solar cell. Replace ya frickin' bulbs

M42 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 27, 2013

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Thanks for the heads-up, M42. I'll do that next chance I get, I hate the current bulb and I was really hoping a new one would be better. I wonder how the difference looks to oncoming vehicles. Was changing the bulb a hassle?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Naaaah. It's a little annoying to wiggle the front fairing on and off, but changing the bulb is an absolute breeze. However, take a look at your front turn signal connection to the wiring harness - you're gonna have to disconnect them to get the front fairing off. I have connectors you can pull apart, but some people might not. Since the front fairing has to come off for a lot of other work, I'd buy some of those connectors (you want 22-16 AWG .250") and change your splice to quick disconnect while you're in there.

Both settings are brighter from the front than oem. I think it'll definitely help being visible at night.

M42 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 27, 2013

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I've done the valves (and hosed it up twice! :buddy: ) which involved removing like eeeeverything so I'm no stranger to removing the front fairing. Just wondered if I could accomplish it without doing that. Thanks though!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It is possible if you have incredibly tiny hands and a very small wrench/ratchet, but it's a huuuuge pain in the rear end and takes like 4 times as long that way. The little metal wire loop that holds the bulb in place is pretty hard to move when the light's off the bike, can't imagine how it would be if it was still under the fairing. Plus you'd get poo poo all over the bulb trying to maneuver it in, which'll cause hot spots and break it.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
FWIW, you don't have to remove the front fairing to replace the bulbs on pregens if you've got small enough hands.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I remember the pain of trying to reinsert the tach cable after my first wheelie and I don't want to go through that pain again. Removing the fairing it is.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Well, I have incredibly small lady hands, and I couldn't do it :shrug:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I have delicate programmer hands and the tach cable was a bitch so off the fairing goes. Orderin' the bulb right now. I'm thinking that with the new bulb I won't be totally screwed if I stay out past dark with my tinted visor. If it's true, you'll hear back from me. If not, you won't 'cause I'll hit a deer or something.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I guess my hands are especially babby like, or I'm just better at maintenance :smugdog:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Probably the latter!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Fifty Three posted:

I have delicate programmer hands and the tach cable was a bitch so off the fairing goes. Orderin' the bulb right now. I'm thinking that with the new bulb I won't be totally screwed if I stay out past dark with my tinted visor. If it's true, you'll hear back from me. If not, you won't 'cause I'll hit a deer or something.

You should be able to find a headlight on a shelf.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Just went on my first ride today, ever, on a real road on my 'new' '07 ninja 250. I don't know why it took me so long to get a bike. I was really nervous at first, just tooting around my parking lot, but then I decided to go for it and hit the road. Ended up riding around for a full hour and got down the basics of shifting it fairly well. Holy poo poo this thing is fun! I'm sure it's because I've never ridden before, but it seemed goddamn fast!

Observations:
-The crazy amount of room you have on the road
-How much faster it seems you are going than you actually are going
-How terrible everyone drives in cars, almost got killed by a truck in a 2 lane roundabout who decided to use both lanes at once and no signals.
-How completely, utterly useless the rearview mirrors are, I ended up just looking back instead.
-Annoying that the turn signal does not auto cancel, I had my blinker on more than Edna in her Buick.
-Till the sweat drip down my balls.

Now a question on shifting - everyone keeps telling me to slip the clutch a lot, and I feel like it's going to be hard to break the habit of never slipping/rev matching since I've been driving stick for 10 years and I never slip the clutch once I'm rolling. Is this really necessary? I didn't really think it was an issue to not slip.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's just easier to be smooth by slipping the clutch and it doesn't wear like a dry clutch so there aren't really downsides. If I'm accelerating quickly in city traffic there will be times I'll get to 3rd or 4th without ever letting the clutch out all the way. Also, when you get into tricky maneuvering situations you'll see the benefit. It's easy to just keep the revs steady where the motor is making good power and then just slipping the clutch in and out to slowly move the bike.

The clutch is your friend tho and that's what I'd focus on getting down well and smooth first, before the throttle.

Also you can still rev match on downshifts and the like, but it's just not as necessary. When learning it's easier to pop it down a gear and then slowly release the clutch so the motor spins up, but after you get some miles under your belt you'll be giving it a bit of throttle to put the revs close to where they should be just like the car.

Basically your car habits won't hurt you, the bike is the same but with the easier wet clutch. It's either the same or easier.

edit: also

Voltage posted:

Holy poo poo this thing is fun! I'm sure it's because I've never ridden before, but it seemed goddamn fast!

I love this, cause it is fast and it isn't. It seems like it cause it's as fast as econobox cars and you aren't used to riding, but really it's slow compared to other bikes. But the beauty is you get to step up to bigger bikes, and every step up is better than the last. Wait till you ride a 500, then a 650 vtwin, then a 600, then a 1000 and on and on...each one will be a "HOLY poo poo" but every time that burst of adrenaline gets less and less...

nsaP fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 28, 2013

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
So Ninja 300 for the absolute beginner, right?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Voltage posted:

-How completely, utterly useless the rearview mirrors are, I ended up just looking back instead.
I have a solution for this. Depending on which side of the road you ride on in your country, I put the mirror on the fast/passing lane side in a normal position to check that lane before passing or otherwise changing lanes. The other mirror gets tilted down and towards me to see directly behind since I don't use it at much. It looks dumb, but works pretty well.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

beergod posted:

So Ninja 300 for the absolute beginner, right?

Used bikes are better for your wallet and if you tip them over, but yeah that's a great starter bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Fifty Three posted:

Doesn't the lower part of the upper fairing (above the wheel) have 4 screws and a little section of fairing you can remove to get to the lightbulb easier?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Naw. Unless you mean the 4 screws holding the headlight assembly to the fairing stay, but those are the problem in the first place.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Voltage posted:

-Annoying that the turn signal does not auto cancel, I had my blinker on more than Edna in her Buick.

Oh my god I do this like every time I ride. I'm like the oldest of old men. I mean, like, I am anyway, but also with the turn signal thing.

Also, check your engine mount bolts! There are 3 of them, and I just discovered recently that my upper rear bolt was looser than your mom. I could turn it with one finger. I think it's a 14mm and it goes all the way through the chassis. You have to tighten the bolt head while holding the nut or v/v. I posted about it somewhere, but I think it ended up in the wrong thread.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Engine mount bolts have to be done with a torque wrench, 24 ft/lb fyi. Don't just wail on em with a regular wrench, I think they can get hosed up that way.

I rode around a little bit more with the new light. It's not quite as bright on the ground as car headlights cause you've only got one, but it's still waaaaay better than OEM.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Z3n posted:

Doesn't the lower part of the upper fairing (above the wheel) have 4 screws and a little section of fairing you can remove to get to the lightbulb easier?

Yep

M42 posted:

Engine mount bolts have to be done with a torque wrench, 24 ft/lb fyi. Don't just wail on em with a regular wrench, I think they can get hosed up that way.

I rode around a little bit more with the new light. It's not quite as bright on the ground as car headlights cause you've only got one, but it's still waaaaay better than OEM.

You can use a regular wrench if you know how tight to do it :v:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah, I tightened it with my torque wrench, at least the top rear, but for the bottom rear I need another 14mm socket and another extension. I can't get an open-end wrench anywhere near that bitch. It's tight enough for now, anyway (probably).

M42
Nov 12, 2012

M42 posted:

Naw. Unless you mean the 4 screws holding the headlight assembly to the fairing stay, but those are the problem in the first place.

I retract this statement! There actually is a removable fairing bit, it's on the inside "fold" of the front fairing. I don't know how I didn't see it before.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Does anyone know of a good digital readout to replace the instrument cluster on my 2007 ex250? Im in the process of converting my bike into a street fighter and I want/need to replace the cluster now that I've replaced the head light and removed that mounting bracket.

Im looking at an older Koso RX2 (not the bluck backlight one unfortunately) but what else is out there?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Trailtech Vapors are a common choice. Easy to set up, fairly cheap, and they've been used enough that you'd be able to find a write up specifically for the 250. Not as nice looking as the Koso, though.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Comedy option: GPX Pro

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Took out my new bike last night, absolutely loving it. Went on some super twisty back roads and got my countersteering skills down. Lots and lots of fun! I can't get enough and it's really all I can think about. Going to go out all day tomorrow for the 4th, hopefully the weather cooperates.

(beer was consumed AFTER the ride)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Rode that home for my friend yesterday. It's got a few dings on one side from being dropped in a parking lot or something similar but mechanically and cosmetically was the best one we could find. The suspension was a lot softer than the 09 I've ridden but it was still a lot of fun. His motor seemed to have a bit more kick too but that could just be in my head. I gotta get my 09 on the road again.

ed: wow didn't notice how lovely the pic was on my phone

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
The low profile front blinkers and the stock rears looks funny. Both of mine have the rears relocated to the unused spots next to the brake light. What year is it? Is that an aftermarket exhaust?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Mine is a 2007, I plan to remove the rear fender thingy and just make a plate mount from scrap metal and put the blinkers next to the tails. Stock exhaust on mine, pretty quiet, don't really care about modding it - I doubt I'll have this bike for more than a year and resale value is great so it's not work hacking it up very much.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

nsaP posted:

Rode that home for my friend yesterday. It's got a few dings on one side from being dropped in a parking lot or something similar but mechanically and cosmetically was the best one we could find. The suspension was a lot softer than the 09 I've ridden but it was still a lot of fun. His motor seemed to have a bit more kick too but that could just be in my head. I gotta get my 09 on the road again.

ed: wow didn't notice how lovely the pic was on my phone

Off the top of my head, pregens have more top end, newer ones have a bit more grunt mid-rev range.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Voltage posted:

Mine is a 2007, I plan to remove the rear fender thingy and just make a plate mount from scrap metal and put the blinkers next to the tails. Stock exhaust on mine, pretty quiet, don't really care about modding it - I doubt I'll have this bike for more than a year and resale value is great so it's not work hacking it up very much.

On mine, I modded the tailpiece so that the two red sidepods were the blinkers and it looked great. You can even get different color plastic bits if red blinkers isn't your thing. They normally go unused.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Oh where can you get different color plastic bits?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I looked and looked and couldn't really find any current valid links to places to buy them but they do exist

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, there were a couple sites that made them, but I actually can't find any now. I've definitely seen clear, yellow, and smoked though.

edit: Found some
Amber
Clear
Green :confused:

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

EX250 Type R posted:

The low profile front blinkers and the stock rears looks funny. Both of mine have the rears relocated to the unused spots next to the brake light. What year is it? Is that an aftermarket exhaust?

05 and stock I believe. Front flushes are all that's been done and I'm guessing it's cause of a drop.

• Locked thread