Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Soul_Apparatus posted:

It seems like some components can be combined at any QL and the result is the lowwest common denominator, and other items have to be within a tight variance. How do I tell what's what? Is there any way to just drop the QL on an item?

Combinable QL ranges vary a bit, you can find all exact tradeskill recipes from AO-Universe. Also, you can go to the left hand menu -> actions -> tradeskill kit and do the combines there to avoid guesswork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul_Apparatus
Aug 20, 2007

Stuck in the Flesh

Fewd posted:

you can find all exact tradeskill recipes from AO-Universe

I did in fact follow the AO-Universe guide for making the solar-powered pistol. However it made no mention of the Auto Targeting Computer -IIR 4 having to be no more than 5 QL lowwer than the Basic Calculator. :argh:

Actually now that I look at it a little more, does the item on the left always have to be higher quality than the item on the right, give or take a couple points? In other words, does the item that you're picking up always have to be higher than the one you're dropping it on to?

Fewd posted:

Also, you can go to the left hand menu -> actions -> tradeskill kit and do the combines there to avoid guesswork

Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems like you have to have both items of the correct quality for this to be useful; it will only show you exactly what you would get with the correct components, or why two components can not be combined. But that's not helpful after-the-fact. In my case I had the wrong quality, and I had no knowledge that the qualities were incorrect until I had already wasted my credits on purchasing the wrong parts.

Ahh well, live and learn. I'm looking forward to trying to get the last pieces of this thing together tonight; it'll be all the sweeter in the end. I notice my damage in missions is falling off with the upgraded starter gun, so the leveled tinker pistol should help out quite a bit.

I'll also be building some implants to get out a bigger bot once I'm done with the pistol. There's so much to do and make. I'm tempted to turn off xp gains so I can catch up with rolling missions for nanos, implants, and trimmers.

I'm really enjoying the out-of-combat preparatory gameplay that goes in to creating your set-up. It's very complex, even right in the beginning. I can only imagine what opens up at the later title levels, let alone endgame.

Soul_Apparatus fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 8, 2013

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Missing out on the noob island solar powered pistol is... unfortunate. If my account was still active I'd gift you my favorite weapon of all time: the Red Line grenade launcher. It's the only weapon I've ever used in AO that consistently made other players say "What the hell is that thing?"

Soul_Apparatus
Aug 20, 2007

Stuck in the Flesh
I almost forgot to ask about this. I have some spacebux for their store. What should I spend them on? A yalm? Tokens? A pretty dress? Not really sure what's worth actually buying with them.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Soul_Apparatus posted:

I almost forgot to ask about this. I have some spacebux for their store. What should I spend them on? A yalm? Tokens? A pretty dress? Not really sure what's worth actually buying with them.

You mentioned buying a yalm with them in game so I'm assuming you meant veteran points?

There's actually three different kinds of paid or bonus points.

Veteran points which you get from subscription months. Those can be used at veteran terminal for some things. Most useful are the RK and SL recall beacons since they let you warp around. The cooldown is only a few minutes now instead of the long rear end time they used to be.

Paid points. I already forgot how you even get these, with money or as subscription bonus I think? Anyway, they can be used outside Newland city for cool looking vehicles, hoverboards and bunny dancer outfits.

Funcom Cumbucks. The things you buy when you're a privileged western country person who uses real money to gain advantage in a video game. Use them in the in-game shop and bow your head in shame knowing you're a horrible person.

Soul_Apparatus
Aug 20, 2007

Stuck in the Flesh
I guess I'm a horrible person, because they're spacebux for the in-game store. I got a bonus for subbing for 3 months, and you get a monthly stipend.

Thanks again for all the help last night, Fewd. You're the Gooniest! :neckbeard:

I'm also glad I finally finished that damned Tinker Pistol, so I wont have to stress out about a weapon again until it comes time to upgrade at level 39. It was a pretty good feeling. I'm reminded of a joke. "Why'd the Polack poke himself in the eye with a stick? Because it felt so good when he stopped."

Now I just get to stress out about my bot inadequacies. I think I'll be starting on a set of implants for MatCrea and SpaceTime tonight. It's a shame both of those skills are bound to the same two implants. I think Int shares some of those slots too. :argh:

Soul_Apparatus fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 10, 2013

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

A pollock is either

or

Soul_Apparatus
Aug 20, 2007

Stuck in the Flesh
Fixed as, "Polack".:airquote:

Thanks!

Edit: So I tried moving to SL last night to get in on some of that supposed better xp, after having been somewhat more serviceably equipped. I made it to Jobe from Rome, and then found the Nascense portal in Harbor. This has to be the worst portal drop-off in the history of gaming; I ended up getting mauled by some level 20 Predator-Cat-Thing, only to end up back in OmniTrade where I insured myself. I'm going to try again tonight, following this guide.

Soul_Apparatus fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 10, 2013

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Soul_Apparatus posted:

So I tried moving to SL last night to get in on some of that supposed better xp, after having been somewhat more serviceably equipped. I made it to Jobe from Rome, and then found the Nascense portal in Harbor. This has to be the worst portal drop-off in the history of gaming; I ended up getting mauled by some level 20 Predator-Cat-Thing, only to end up back in OmniTrade where I insured myself. I'm going to try again tonight, following this guide.

I don't even play regularly anymore, but didn't the recent patch upgrade XP in RK instances to SL levels?

SL used to be hands-down better XP if you could find teams. I remember doing TL6 RK team mishes with my agent recently, and poo poo, the XP from one mish now is ridiculous. They're actually viable for endgame leveling without mind-numbing grinding, so a lot of sloobs actually joined the pub teams I made.

This is good, because RK instances/mishes rock.

Soul_Apparatus
Aug 20, 2007

Stuck in the Flesh
I honestly don't know which is better. I've only read, possibly obsolete, info that says SL is better than RK. I think I prefer the mission structure since it has rewards you can semi-pick with click-saver, to over-land mob grinding in SL.

If anyone else could comment on SL vs RK xp, that would be great. :sun:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
All the activity in this thread is making me want to resub. :negative:

Which side do most goons play on? I always played clan but a change of pace could be nice.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I dunno about SL vs RK. I've done so many RK missions back in the day, and grinded about 10 1k token boards before daily missions that I become nauseous of even thinking of doing a RK mission.

Most goons are omni. There used to be an active goon org back in the day that was omni so that's where most of us drifted towards.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

uPen posted:

All the activity in this thread is making me want to resub. :negative:

Which side do most goons play on? I always played clan but a change of pace could be nice.

I'm seriously tempted, too. Dammit. Are shotgun docs still a thing? I got a Maw of the Abyss on shortly before quitting for the last time. . .

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I feel so confused at times with all the outdated information rattling inside my brainbox. So the lowest crat exp butt, baton of authority used to be a single target buff for 3% exp or something like that? Now it's a team buff with 11% exp bonus :stare:

Anyway, I started a crat alt for some reason.

Kenlon posted:

I'm seriously tempted, too. Dammit. Are shotgun docs still a thing? I got a Maw of the Abyss on shortly before quitting for the last time. . .

Maw is fine for middle levels, but I think most high level docs go for pistols these days. There's pistols called doctors right and left hands from... gently caress knows where and the top of the line are the Xan pistols. You need to raid beast for his pistols and then there's a process to upgrade those.

e: I was going to fix that butt typo but whatever, it's as correct as it gets like that.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 11, 2013

Mattress
Jun 24, 2010

Soul_Apparatus posted:

I'm also glad I finally finished that damned Tinker Pistol

Back in the day, I spent like five months getting all the crap necessary to make a Mausser Chemical Streamer as a froob. I had to outsource a ton of the actual crafting to other people, and finding the materials was crap to begin with. A few days after I actually had the completed gun, I subscribed and got a loving Perennium smg from a friend a day later.

Mattress fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 14, 2013

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
How the gently caress did it take you that long to get an MCS made.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

MCS requires like four components aside the base gun, and they can all be bought from vendor. Well actually the gun can be bought too.

Five months? Maybe AO is just that laggy :shepface:

Mattress
Jun 24, 2010
It was a combination of me having no idea what I was doing, and having zero money as a result, as well as not ever being able to find the right QL for metal plates for it.

Overall I was just poo poo at both tradeskilling and making money.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Don't know prices nowadays but as a newbie I just ran missions for concrete cushions for a while

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

mfcrocker posted:

Don't know prices nowadays but as a newbie I just ran missions for concrete cushions for a while

This is fine if you know what you're doing and you've got clicksaver and know which QL you're after. To an actual newbie trying to play AO like a regular MMO with regular crafting and tradeskills? Poor bastards will never know what hit them.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Started playing as a froob, rolled an agent. I have no idea what equipment I am supposed to be using- when I played this game as a teenager I never really knew what I was doing and just rolled missions endlessly until I burnt out.

Pretty much all the guides I've found assume that you're twinking yourself from your primary account, or are so stupidly basic they don't tell you anything beyond character creation and newb island. Does anyone know where I can find a level by level breakdown of equipment I need to be going for?

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
What level are you?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Arven posted:

Started playing as a froob, rolled an agent. I have no idea what equipment I am supposed to be using- when I played this game as a teenager I never really knew what I was doing and just rolled missions endlessly until I burnt out.

Pretty much all the guides I've found assume that you're twinking yourself from your primary account, or are so stupidly basic they don't tell you anything beyond character creation and newb island. Does anyone know where I can find a level by level breakdown of equipment I need to be going for?

Well, off the top of my head...

When I last played a non-SL agent a decade ago, X3 Yata...mutchy...something? counter sniper rifles were pretty hot poo poo for low - middle levels. I'm pretty sure this is still true. They drop from RK team mission bosses. There's also a low level dyna boss drop you could farm for, ql 40-50 barret. Perennium snipers which most people use unfortunately requires SL expansion.

And then there's the sock. Either fp fixer to buy it yourself from the fixer shop in borealis or get a fixer to buy it.

As for the rest of the armor, med suit I guess? :v:
And nelebs newbie robe from steps of madness. I don't really know what froobs use other than that. Maybe Miy armors which drop from cyborgs of all levels? There's also an agent armor set that drops in ToTW and another in IS.

Agent subforum on AO site should have detailed guides in it.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Trip report.
I'm a few months in and enjoying the game. A pile of alts: 65 adventurer, 66 martial artist, 51ish agent, 51ish fixer, 29 doctor, and a new 10 keeper. Plus a few others. All omni. Fixer and the advy are the favorites so far because of their versatility. The MA is cool, but almost too easy. I'm personally big on the soloing classes, not so much on the crowd control and pet classes.

I went to a paid account a month ago, and I'm finally checking out the extra content. It is very nice having research and perk features available. The alien perk/dailies are easy and super useful as well. Building up a good starting bank roll makes a huge difference. Being able to transfer half a million credits to a new alt gets things started a lot faster. A level 60 in the first levels of Biomare/Foremans can pull out 500,000 to 800,000 credits in an hour of credit grinding.

I had started a keeper a couple of weeks ago and hated the whole starting/newbie area in Shadowlands immensely. The xp sucks, the rewards suck, the starting weapon sucks, etc. It's also a bit overwhelming when you leave the starting area in to the first lowbie zone, Nascene.

After reading a few starting guides, I started new keeper, and immediately transferred over some credits. At level 7 I popped over to Borealis for a set of implants and generic nanos, and blew through 3 levels in a half hour upon return. With the imps and nanos, I can equip a decent 2HE sword from an SL vendor, and things are moving smoothly. Having a much better experience this time around.

Regarding SL xp vs. RK xp; an org mate gave my advy a brief tour of Nascene and Elysium, pointing out some of the places to visit. I had been working Foremans for 4k to 9k a kill on yellows that were tough. In Nascene I was killing red, level 80, hecklers for 7k to 11k a pop without much difficulty. Definitely better access for grinding xp if desired in SL. Still though, questing, and daily questing anywhere gives a ton of xp, and does not have the boredom factor of a grind. As a side note: The garden key quest in Nascene takes about 20-30 minutes. At level 51 and 62, it returned about 100k+ xp! That was enough for most of a level in both cases, and it's a quest/item you want to get anyway. At level 7 it was about 4k xp for the same amount of time. Not bad, but not quite the same. : )

Twinking is fun. Learning the basics of self-twinking is sufficient, but a little buffing assistance from other players can make a huge difference. The most important thing that I've found is to keep your weapon as high a ql as possible, above all other concerns. A ql 10-15 levels above your character level is minimum, and having a weapon 25-50 levels above is awesome.

I have not yet even touched tradeskills. There has been enough content to explore and other game systems to learn to have kept me plenty busy so far.

ShoodZ
Nov 20, 2002

Icept is my bitch
I just resubbed for some loving reason. Played it back in the beta days and on release and several years after that. Never made it to 200. If any goons are still active, please hit me up, im "ShoodZ" ingame and my fat fixer is strapped for cash

18 Dummy Juice
Apr 2, 2008
Back in as "Youngstrep". I can't figure out for the life of me why I like this game. Haven't played in 3 years, haven't spent a dime on it since loving 2001, never got a char over 100. I resurrected my lowly 48 advy...maybe with the XP buffs for all the RK instances I can finally grind long enough to see some content beyond the first floor of foremans? Also, daily missions really give you over a level's worth of experience, holy poo poo.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
They're actually talking about starting up a closed beta for the "new" engine soon.

Maybe it'll actually happen.

(Maybe pigs will fly.)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Kenlon posted:

They're actually talking about starting up a closed beta for the "new" engine soon.

Bullshit.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Alright you bastards, I'm seeing if I can recover my accounts. If so, I've got some TL5 Fixer and Doc froobs on seperate accounts about to poo poo up RK again

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I was getting really agitated and restless with all the games I've been playing, and was getting that AO itch. I didn't feel like doing the four-boxing trader/crat/mp/engineer thing, thought about resubbing my 170s Fixer. Then 7 pages of this thread that went back 18 months. Not so itchy anymore.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Got the game installed fine and whatnot, trying to find out what the hell email address i used for my doctors account

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
In as Galladro and/or Galv, fixer and doc in their 180s omni side

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Got myself azure pants and a PoP today :woop:

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Kenlon posted:

(Maybe pigs will fly.)

Looks like you are right. They officially announced it today on their forums. Beta test incoming.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=607346

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Peechka posted:

Looks like you are right. They officially announced it today on their forums. Beta test incoming.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=607346

Well I hope they invite me so I can see this 'new engine' they've spent the last ~6 years on instead of making a new game.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My main account has long since lapsed and I don't think froobs can get in on this.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
Account hasn't been active for years buuut:

quote:

Success
Upgrade Account
Subscription upgraded

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I'm not going to believe this does a thing except make the grass greener until I see it with my own eyes.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
holy gently caress holy gently caress holy gently caress holy gently caress

It's the end of the goddamned world. Is this a thing that is seriously going to happen? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
no way

• Locked thread