Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

ChaosArgate posted:

Which route are you on? Babel's different depending on who's plan you decided to follow. The boss rush tells me you're either on Amane's route or Naoya/Kaido's.

Naoya's route.

ImpAtom posted:

The best combination of abilities is "put Holy Dance and Drain on everything."

Yeah, this is what I've been trying. It's still an incredible pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Unmature posted:

I keep finding mixed reviews of the MegaTen OVA based on the novels that came out around the same time as the first game.

Is it worth watching?

Given how terrible the novels are I can't imagine it would be salvageable. I guess if it's based around the third novel it might be marginally tolerable as the third isn't nearly as awful as the first two, though it's still pretty bad.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Atlas Hugged posted:

Naoya's route.

Yeah, this is what I've been trying. It's still an incredible pain in the rear end.
Well, it also depends a bit on what kind of demons you have. After all Holy Dance is a big drain on MP. I haven't played Overclocked but my first time through the original I relied heavily upon Tyrants and Megami demons. Were you able to fuse Amaterasu for example?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I am relying heavily on Tyrants for MP gain and Dragons for Evil Way. It just seems I'd have to spend hours grinding Macca to get the money to start fusing the right demons.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Dragons aren't as good in DS1 Original, as I recall. You lose your extra turns, and most bosses have wide area attack ranges that render the extra range meaningless. I preferred Megami for their really high magic (most demons in my party would have the maximum of 40) and Affection, which could keep everyone alive. With 40 magic, extra turns, and Holy Dance, you'd be able to nuke everything in one or two turns. On later playthroughs I did swap in some Kishin demons though for some extra damage.

Dragons however are awesome in DS2, thanks to Evil Flow.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Unmature posted:

I keep finding mixed reviews of the MegaTen OVA based on the novels that came out around the same time as the first game.

Is it worth watching?

It is the greatest love story ever told, and also a PSA about how bullying causes demons.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So are there any rumors of a release date for SMTIV in Europe? I've done some cursory searching and everyone seems confident that it is definitely coming out and in this year but I can't find any statements from Atlus saying that and definitely no concrete release date.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

thebardyspoon posted:

So are there any rumors of a release date for SMTIV in Europe? I've done some cursory searching and everyone seems confident that it is definitely coming out and in this year but I can't find any statements from Atlus saying that and definitely no concrete release date.

It's definitely coming to Europe. Release date isn't confirmed though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

Naoya's route.

If you want a somewhat less painful (but more tedious) way to beat it instead of giving up, just create a suspend save right before certain turns (the seed is randomized unlike DeSu2) until you get the result you want.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Unmature posted:

Is it worth watching?

It's worth seeing. Same with Tokyo Revelations. Bonus points if you can get the dubs, which are just delightful.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It's worth seeing. Same with Tokyo Revelations. Bonus points if you can get the dubs, which are just delightful.

They're dubbed?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The chance of SMT4 getting a midnight physical release is pretty much nil isn't it? :(

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

ChaosArgate posted:

They're dubbed?

Only Tokyo Revelation is dubbed, for whatever bizarre reason it was brought over in the late 90's.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

El Belmondo posted:

Only Tokyo Revelation is dubbed, for whatever bizarre reason it was brought over in the late 90's.

Maybe to drum up support for the game series that was building steam at the time with Persona 2.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Unmature posted:

Maybe to drum up support for the game series that was building steam at the time with Persona 2.

It has literally nothing to do with Persona or SMT, but is instead based off basically a fan-fiction manga, and Atlus USA was not involved with it at all, so it's really just a case of bizarre licensing for English dubbing.

And back in the day, the Persona series literally had no steam building in the U.S.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

El Belmondo posted:

It has literally nothing to do with Persona or SMT, but is instead based off basically a fan-fiction manga, and Atlus USA was not involved with it at all, so it's really just a case of bizarre licensing for English dubbing.

And back in the day, the Persona series literally had no steam building in the U.S.

I'm sure Unmature was making a joke.

Tokyo Revelation was dubbed along with a lot of other lovely movies/oavs that contained key elements (boobs, violence) back in the late nineties when a few companies realized they could market it with "look how extreme and edgy Japanimation is!!!" commercials.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TurnipFritter posted:

I'm sure Unmature was making a joke.

Tokyo Revelation was dubbed along with a lot of other lovely movies/oavs that contained key elements (boobs, violence) back in the late nineties when a few companies realized they could market it with "look how extreme and edgy Japanimation is!!!" commercials.

Yeah I was afraid to watch anime as a kid because of some of that marketing. I remember seeing a commercial on TV when I was younger that was something super violent and then going ~ANIME~

It's funny because these days half of all series that come out literally have no conflict, they're basically sitcoms with cutesy drawings.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah I was afraid to watch anime as a kid because of some of that marketing. I remember seeing a commercial on TV when I was younger that was something super violent and then going ~ANIME~

It's funny because these days half of all series that come out literally have no conflict, they're basically sitcoms with cutesy drawings.

Man, remember when anime was cool? Watching grainy VHS takes of Akira and Ghost in the Shell and seeing buckwild poo poo that you'd never seen before? Now its like 90% what you said and the rest is Pokemon and Naruto ripoffs. At least the stuff that comes here that you don't have to stream or pirate.

I know that's reductive and we do still get cool stuff, but you gotta dig through a looot of poo poo. That's true of any kind of media but it seems to be especially bad with anime.

I bet no one's ever made a post like this on the internet.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Unmature posted:

Man, remember when anime was cool? Watching grainy VHS takes of Akira and Ghost in the Shell and seeing buckwild poo poo that you'd never seen before? Now its like 90% what you said and the rest is Pokemon and Naruto ripoffs. At least the stuff that comes here that you don't have to stream or pirate.

I know that's reductive and we do still get cool stuff, but you gotta dig through a looot of poo poo. That's true of any kind of media but it seems to be especially bad with anime.

I bet no one's ever made a post like this on the internet.

Quiet, anime hipster.

Buy yeah, the large majority of anime is pretty trashy.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Once last piece of SMT4 DLC comes out next week (July 11th).

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just paid off my SMT4 preorder on amazon. Pretty stoked for this game also for that limited edition stuff.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Once last piece of SMT4 DLC comes out next week (July 11th).

Hopefully it'll be better than the last batch. It's not quite horse armor level but paying 350 yen to fight a single boss without even any extra areas or dungeons or whatnot is kind of a ripoff. Especially since the only reward is getting said bosses to join your party.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Genpei Turtle posted:

Hopefully it'll be better than the last batch. It's not quite horse armor level but paying 350 yen to fight a single boss without even any extra areas or dungeons or whatnot is kind of a ripoff. Especially since the only reward is getting said bosses to join your party.

I gotta ask, how much are you enjoying SMT4? I can't quite figure out the Japanese opinions, but they seem somewhat divided. I'd love to get it but I'm a bit short on cash and I'm wondering if I shouldn't wait for Monster Hunter or something.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NeilPerry posted:

I gotta ask, how much are you enjoying SMT4? I can't quite figure out the Japanese opinions, but they seem somewhat divided. I'd love to get it but I'm a bit short on cash and I'm wondering if I shouldn't wait for Monster Hunter or something.

While I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive, the itch that SMT4 scratches is probably gonna be very different than the one Monster Hunter did. They're both pretty boss games (fake edit: at least I'm hoping SMT4 is boss as gently caress), though, but if you're on a budget, you should ask yourself which one will provide you the most bang for your buck from what you usually like.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Wark Say posted:

While I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive, the itch that SMT4 scratches is probably gonna be very different than the one Monster Hunter did. They're both pretty boss games (fake edit: at least I'm hoping SMT4 is boss as gently caress), though, but if you're on a budget, you should ask yourself which one will provide you the most bang for your buck from what you usually like.

I'm pretty sure I'll prefer the combination of dialogue and action that SMT4 has to offer, since I need to work on my Japanese reading skills a bit. But on the other hand, if it's not as good as people are hoping it is, then I don't want to waste my time and money(at this point in time).

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Norns posted:

Quiet, anime hipster.

Buy yeah, the large majority of anime is pretty trashy.

What, the quarterly Kawaii Imouto series is a bad thing? :) There is a decent amount of anime coming out which varies between watchable and good. For example I really liked "Suisei no Gargantia" that just finished airing.

Anyways, can't wait for SMT IV. I am not a huge fan of the models and I really wish they cut down number of demons and went with EOIV type animations, but still greatly looking forward to the game. I should finish Soul Hackers at some point though :). Btw, for people who imported Japanese version, is there furigana by any chance (or better yet Japanese language/voices in US release)?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

AtlusUSA does not do Japanese voice options, so I can guarantee it will not be in the US release.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

oblomov posted:

Btw, for people who imported Japanese version, is there furigana by any chance (or better yet Japanese language/voices in US release)?

I bought it yesterday evening and I can confirm that there's quite a bit of furigana. I'd say it's nearly everything except really basic words, and the game is also voiced pretty heavily so it's not that big of a hassle to get through if you can't read that well yet.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Speaking as a heathen who doesn't speak Japanese, I would submit that very few companies do English dubs better than Atlus USA, and the only localization team at their level is probably 8-4.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Unmature posted:

There's quite a lot of poo poo in equal amounts back then, probably more because there was less revenue to actually create for a TV show.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Walker posted:

Speaking as a heathen who doesn't speak Japanese, I would submit that very few companies do English dubs better than Atlus USA, and the only localization team at their level is probably 8-4.

I would not put Atlus USA on a high pedestal for English dubs. Yeah, they do a good job with the actual localization, but the quality of the games voice acting varies. The quality of P3's voice acting fluctuates in quality a lot and more often than not is bad, meanwhile P4 has fantastic voice acting.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

NeilPerry posted:

I bought it yesterday evening and I can confirm that there's quite a bit of furigana. I'd say it's nearly everything except really basic words, and the game is also voiced pretty heavily so it's not that big of a hassle to get through if you can't read that well yet.

Wait, this is 3DS... Sigh... Never mind then, don't have JP region 3DS, forgot that there is a region lock unlike Vita :(. Been buying my imports on PS3 and some on Vita plus older DS ones.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I would not put Atlus USA on a high pedestal for English dubs. Yeah, they do a good job with the actual localization, but the quality of the games voice acting varies. The quality of P3's voice acting fluctuates in quality a lot and more often than not is bad, meanwhile P4 has fantastic voice acting.

Does any other Japanese company consistently have better English VAs, though? Actual question, nothing comes to mind. I would say that, barring any significant counterpoint which I haven't thought of, my point still stands if only because P4 and Catherine had such good dubs.

Then again I've not played any other SMT games besides the first and Persona 3 and 4, and I only beat the latter. I should really play Nocturne before I get excited about this barely related game :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Capcom and Platinum Games do a lot better in general with English VAs and voice acting quality (DmC notwithstanding) as of late. It's mostly because their games are made with English in mind but for the Japanese to actually do that sort of thing shows a lot of faith in western ADR Directors. Hell, Metal Gear Rising has a better localization, translation and voice acting than any other Metal Gear game, the same goes with Capcom and how good of a job they've done with turning RE from one of the game series with some of the worst voice acting to one of the series with one of the best casts. I do agree though that Atlus USA one of the few companies that localizes that still does an excellent job at it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

That's because MGR was 8-4 instead of the usual konami guys.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Genpei Turtle posted:

You're also buying access to their skill sets, I guess, which kind of makes a lot of the DLC an extension of this fella:

...some of the skills look neat (Michael has one that grants Niyari/Smirk status to one ally), and you have a few iconic ones (Sanat has Mother Earth's Feast/Gaea Rage and Phys Pierce, which I guess is kind of interesting given the title of his race), but a lot of them also appear to just be "Deal lots of Almighty damage" which, eh.

Anyway here's some more dumb New Leaf stuff I made:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest, I'm having a little trouble imagining the DLC for this being worth it unless the actual fights are really interesting. People mentioned earlier having trouble with Money and I frankly can't imagine it. Just through the course of regular playing I'm absolutely swimming in Macca and amazing skills so unless they're cool fights you really have to plan around or have interesting plot hooks, I can't see paying $2-$5 for 'em.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest, I'm having a little trouble imagining the DLC for this being worth it unless the actual fights are really interesting. People mentioned earlier having trouble with Money and I frankly can't imagine it. Just through the course of regular playing I'm absolutely swimming in Macca and amazing skills so unless they're cool fights you really have to plan around or have interesting plot hooks, I can't see paying $2-$5 for 'em.

I think the pricing for the NA stuff will be $2 at the most. That's still more than I would pay for any of it though. Maybe if some of the bonus costumes had been cooler instead of.... what they are.

At the same time, I'm pretty grateful that they didn't lock anything good away through DLC.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 6, 2013

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
I'm considering getting a second copy of SMT4 to keep sealed. Worth it or not worth it?

Keep in mind I'm the guy who own three copies of Persona 4 for absolutely no reason. (One copy I play, one sealed copy, one copy I loan out.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

That's because MGR was 8-4 instead of the usual konami guys.

Ah well, his point was proven then.