Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

So, while I wait impatiently for the XE-1 to arrive, is there a consensus on adapters to use? Specifically, for EF and EF-S glass. I've done some research but nothing comes all that highly rated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Since EF doesn't have manual aperture control, I don't think there is a good adapter for it that I know of.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

mesc posted:

So, while I wait impatiently for the XE-1 to arrive, is there a consensus on adapters to use? Specifically, for EF and EF-S glass. I've done some research but nothing comes all that highly rated.

Forget EF, the adapters you want are for all the sweet FD/Konica/Nikon/Minolta glass.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

The Canon 50/1.4 FD is a nice lens for the price, but I've been having a lot of fun with Leica, Pentax, and Minolta lenses. Not sure how well EF/EF-S would work.

Spend $100+ for an adapter that is machined so that infinity focus really is infinity focus, or buy the cheapest Chinese adapter you can find and either deal with an infinity focus that is likely off a little, or shim it yourself.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 1, 2013

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Mightaswell posted:

Forget EF, the adapters you want are for all the sweet FD/Konica/Nikon/Minolta glass.

My wife has about 3K in Canon glass, so while I'd like to jump on board with old glass, this is what I have readily available :)

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

mesc posted:

My wife has about 3K in Canon glass, so while I'd like to jump on board with old glass, this is what I have readily available :)

Fair enough, but the electronic aperture is going to be a challenge. Metabones might sell an electronically coupled EF adapter. At least they do for NEX.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Mightaswell posted:

Fair enough, but the electronic aperture is going to be a challenge. Metabones might sell an electronically coupled EF adapter. At least they do for NEX.

They don't sell a canon to fuji adapter, at least not yet.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

mesc posted:

I'll have to look and update this post for the EF/EF-S adapter that I have (I think it is a Fotodiox). Works fine but it is more a novelty thing to me as the native X primes are small and light so the Canon lenses feel like they unbalance the camera. The smaller, plastic lenses feel the best to me and the Canon bodycap pinhole gets some use on it too.

You'll want to bring a Rebel with you or pre-set all your apertures before you go out which is what I do. Mount the glass to a Canon and set the aperture to what you want and press the DOF preview button. Hold the DOF button while removing the lens and it will stay at the set aperture.

Clumsy, but it works.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

ThisQuietReverie posted:

I'll have to look and update this post for the EF/EF-S adapter that I have (I think it is a Fotodiox). Works fine but it is more a novelty thing to me as the native X primes are small and light so the Canon lenses feel like they unbalance the camera. The smaller, plastic lenses feel the best to me and the Canon bodycap pinhole gets some use on it too.

You'll want to bring a Rebel with you or pre-set all your apertures before you go out which is what I do. Mount the glass to a Canon and set the aperture to what you want and press the DOF preview button. Hold the DOF button while removing the lens and it will stay at the set aperture.

Clumsy, but it works.

That's a remarkably massive pain in the rear end.

thetzar fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 1, 2013

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

thetzar posted:

That a remarkably massive pain in the rear end.

You can't get EF lens to work with non Canon mirrorless body nicely, period. That goes for all modern lens with no aperture ring.

You are better off just buy a 1.4 or 1.2 lens in Konica AR or FD or AIS mount.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I just picked up a GX-1 and the Panasonic 14-140mm lens. Any tips from fellow m43 owners? I'm considering getting a filter out of habit, since it was drilled into me when I was still shooting film SLR's. Any recommendations?

I was also looking at the polarized screen protectors for the LED screen. Since the camera doesn't have a VF and the screen isn't movable, I was thinking a screen protector could cut glare and make it easier to use in direct light. Any recommendations on those?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Panasonic is releasing a new version of it's m4/3 20mm: http://www.photographyblog.com/news/panasonic_lumix_g_20mm_f_1.7_ii_asph/

I hope this brings the used prices of the old one down since ~40mm is my favorite focal length (I learned digital photography with an incredibly weird Kyocera camera that I used for much longer than I should have with a 40mm equiv focal length, so 40mm just looks right to me), but I never got around to getting the 20, opting for the much cheaper and shittier Olympus 17 2.8 and the cheap and actually pretty good Panasonic 14. 2.5

EDIT:

DrakeriderCa posted:

I just picked up a GX-1 and the Panasonic 14-140mm lens. Any tips from fellow m43 owners? I'm considering getting a filter out of habit, since it was drilled into me when I was still shooting film SLR's. Any recommendations?

I actually just sold my OM-D and Oly 12mm, 45mm, 17mm, and 14-42 lenses and bought a GX1 body keeping only the Pana 14/2.5. The OM-D was terrific but I was in a lovely situation financially and I wanted something smaller anyway, the OM-D might not be that much larger, but to me it was only comfortable with the grip and the whole thing just started feeling too much like a DSLR for comfort. I was expecting the GX-1 to be a like a return to something like the E-P1 or something and lowered my expectations accordingly, but the overall image quality and responsiveness (aside from burst mode, it's horrid) is actually very comparable to the OM-D. I was pretty shocked since these bodies are going for ~$230 at Adorama, BH, etc.

Anyway, get some good prime lenses. Everyone seems to love the 20mm and since they're releasing a new one you can pre-order that if you're rich or get the previous generation (which is perfectly good according to most people) on eBay or KEH or something when the prices drop. The Olympus 12mm is an absolutely awesome lens and the first thing I'm going to rebuy once I'm in a better situation, so check that if you're into wide angles. The GX1 becomes really uncomfortable to hold with larger lenses like the Panasonic 25/1.4 so I'd stick to pancakes, a lot of this camera's appeal is it's size anyway. It just feels "right" with a pancake.

For the GX-1 specifically, turn off the blotchy noise reduction (set it to -2), the stupid resistive touch screen, and set AF to "1 Area" and leave the AF box centered (I hate multi-af systems though so if you're into this ignore me, but Panasonic's implementation of this seems especially bad and inaccurate to me sooo yeah). Turn on the level, it's great. The LVF2 viewfinder is awesome and totally worth the used price (about $130). If you have the viewfinder, turn on "Play on LCD" so hitting play brings up the last taken shot on the main LCD. If you haven't noticed you can pull the flash back to bounce it off the ceiling, Panasonic's AWB in flash shots is really nice and compared with the bounce gives really nice and natural looking indoor shots, even if the room is dark or the lighting is weird. I like to turn off "EXPO.METER" because it takes up like half the screen specifically when you're adjusting exposure compensation, or aperture/shutter, but I can see how it would be cool and useful too, so play with it and see what you like. Don't expect to use burst mode for anything useful, it's whack.

The camera's Q menu seems designed with the touchscreen in mind, it's a pain to page through the five giant fat finger sized options per page menu with the buttons, but IMO there are really only 5 options you need that don't already have a control assigned to them: Photo Style (for quick access to monochrome mode), Metering Mode, Picture Setting (aspect ratio, resolution), Quality (JPEG quality and RAW setting), Flash Adjust. When you remove everything and then go back and add only five things the menu doesn't page through the empty pages and instead loops back to the first option, making it way better to use without a touchscreen.

I like to leave FN2 as AE lock and have FN1 set to DoF preview (I think this is the default?). There is really very little else to assign to function buttons, all the camera's controls are so well assigned and layed out, everything important feels easily accessible.

Regarding a filter, anything you'd want is available in the thread sizes of most m 4/3 lenses. Panasonic and Olympus even make their own (overpriced) filters. There's nothing that you'd do differently with m4/3 cameras, they don't have built in ND filters like the x100 or Ricoh GR or something, so just apply what you liked using on film here.

d0s fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 1, 2013

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

mesc posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjust-Aper...35960%26ps%3D54

It probably wont work very well compared to buying some old rear end glass at goodwill. Just because you have access to it, doesnt make it a great idea. Ive not read any good reviews of those cheap aperture control mounts. They will work but dont expect hard stop at infinity, or great build quality. My Nikon G lens to X mount adapter was 60bux, and its trash. It does however give me use of my aperture. It does have a lot of play and the locking mechanism doesnt work.

Ive used it a handful of times and have basically stopped using it and G lenses with my XE1. The 60bux i spent on that adapter i could have bought 1 FD 50mm 1.4 and FD to X adapter, or 1 Fujinon 50mm 1.4 and adapter, or... You see the point myself and others are getting at.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

d0s posted:

Panasonic is releasing a new version of it's m4/3 20mm: http://www.photographyblog.com/news/panasonic_lumix_g_20mm_f_1.7_ii_asph/

I hope this brings the used prices of the old one down since ~40mm is my favorite focal length (I learned digital photography with an incredibly weird Kyocera camera that I used for much longer than I should have with a 40mm equiv focal length, so 40mm just looks right to me), but I never got around to getting the 20, opting for the much cheaper and shittier Olympus 17 2.8 and the cheap and actually pretty good Panasonic 14. 2.5

EDIT:

I actually just sold my OM-D and Oly 12mm, 45mm, 17mm, and 14-42 lenses and bought a GX1 body keeping only the Pana 14/2.5. The OM-D was terrific but I was in a lovely situation financially and I wanted something smaller anyway, the OM-D might not be that much larger, but to me it was only comfortable with the grip and the whole thing just started feeling too much like a DSLR for comfort. I was expecting the GX-1 to be a like a return to something like the E-P1 or something and lowered my expectations accordingly, but the overall image quality and responsiveness (aside from burst mode, it's horrid) is actually very comparable to the OM-D. I was pretty shocked since these bodies are going for ~$230 at Adorama, BH, etc.

Anyway, get some good prime lenses. Everyone seems to love the 20mm and since they're releasing a new one you can pre-order that if you're rich or get the previous generation (which is perfectly good according to most people) on eBay or KEH or something when the prices drop. The Olympus 12mm is an absolutely awesome lens and the first thing I'm going to rebuy once I'm in a better situation, so check that if you're into wide angles. The GX1 becomes really uncomfortable to hold with larger lenses like the Panasonic 25/1.4 so I'd stick to pancakes, a lot of this camera's appeal is it's size anyway. It just feels "right" with a pancake.

For the GX-1 specifically, turn off the blotchy noise reduction (set it to -2), the stupid resistive touch screen, and set AF to "1 Area" and leave the AF box centered (I hate multi-af systems though so if you're into this ignore me, but Panasonic's implementation of this seems especially bad and inaccurate to me sooo yeah). Turn on the level, it's great. The LVF2 viewfinder is awesome and totally worth the used price (about $130). If you have the viewfinder, turn on "Play on LCD" so hitting play brings up the last taken shot on the main LCD. If you haven't noticed you can pull the flash back to bounce it off the ceiling, Panasonic's AWB in flash shots is really nice and compared with the bounce gives really nice and natural looking indoor shots, even if the room is dark or the lighting is weird. I like to turn off "EXPO.METER" because it takes up like half the screen specifically when you're adjusting exposure compensation, or aperture/shutter, but I can see how it would be cool and useful too, so play with it and see what you like. Don't expect to use burst mode for anything useful, it's whack.

The camera's Q menu seems designed with the touchscreen in mind, it's a pain to page through the five giant fat finger sized options per page menu with the buttons, but IMO there are really only 5 options you need that don't already have a control assigned to them: Photo Style (for quick access to monochrome mode), Metering Mode, Picture Setting (aspect ratio, resolution), Quality (JPEG quality and RAW setting), Flash Adjust. When you remove everything and then go back and add only five things the menu doesn't page through the empty pages and instead loops back to the first option, making it way better to use without a touchscreen.

I like to leave FN2 as AE lock and have FN1 set to DoF preview (I think this is the default?). There is really very little else to assign to function buttons, all the camera's controls are so well assigned and layed out, everything important feels easily accessible.

Regarding a filter, anything you'd want is available in the thread sizes of most m 4/3 lenses. Panasonic and Olympus even make their own (overpriced) filters. There's nothing that you'd do differently with m4/3 cameras, they don't have built in ND filters like the x100 or Ricoh GR or something, so just apply what you liked using on film here.

Awesome, thanks! I've had my eye on the 20/1.7 because its so fast and it's supposed to be really sharp. I like the 40-45mm range as well, from my film days with a Spotmatic. Thanks for the recommendations on menus, I'll look at programming those pretty quick.

The super zoom fills our needs right now as a vacation camera but in the future ill be looking to pick up pancake and macro lenses to play with. One of the used 20's would be awesome for the pancake, and if I could find a Sigma 60 macro, that would be amazing.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Musket posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjust-Aper...35960%26ps%3D54

It probably wont work very well compared to buying some old rear end glass at goodwill. Just because you have access to it, doesnt make it a great idea. Ive not read any good reviews of those cheap aperture control mounts. They will work but dont expect hard stop at infinity, or great build quality. My Nikon G lens to X mount adapter was 60bux, and its trash. It does however give me use of my aperture. It does have a lot of play and the locking mechanism doesnt work.

Ive used it a handful of times and have basically stopped using it and G lenses with my XE1. The 60bux i spent on that adapter i could have bought 1 FD 50mm 1.4 and FD to X adapter, or 1 Fujinon 50mm 1.4 and adapter, or... You see the point myself and others are getting at.

Seems like more trouble than its worth, yeah. Honestly, if I want to use those lenses I'll just use one of the Canon bodies instead. I bought the XE-1 to use the native lenses anyhow, and the only real hole I'll have is for a portrait type lense. Definitely see your point there!

I'm pumped to go back to this faux-rangefinder style in general. My favorite shots ever cam from my old Contax G1 (which I will forever miss) and Konica Hexar.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

mesc posted:

Seems like more trouble than its worth, yeah. Honestly, if I want to use those lenses I'll just use one of the Canon bodies instead. I bought the XE-1 to use the native lenses anyhow, and the only real hole I'll have is for a portrait type lense. Definitely see your point there!

I'm pumped to go back to this faux-rangefinder style in general. My favorite shots ever cam from my old Contax G1 (which I will forever miss) and Konica Hexar.

I filled the role of a portrait lens with a Nikon 50mm f2 AIS and an 85mm AIS 1.8 Ive also seen some 85mm FDs for pretty cheap on the web.

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!
Any adapter portrait lenses (Around 85mm) that are recommended for the X-E1 or X-Pro1?
So far best option I found online is the Leica Tele Elmarit 90mm 2.8 or Minolta 1.7/85mm MC Rokkor

Still hunting!

ChirreD fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 1, 2013

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I've heard good things about the Contax G Sonnar 90 f2.8 and the Rokkor 85.

While on the subject of lenses to adapt, is there a decent macro lens to scratch the itch with? Preferably something under $100.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Helicity posted:

I've heard good things about the Contax G Sonnar 90 f2.8 and the Rokkor 85.

While on the subject of lenses to adapt, is there a decent macro lens to scratch the itch with? Preferably something under $100.

Reverse mounting something can work, although I've run into issues where distortion can get real bad since you're so close to the sensor (reverse mounting my pentax 50/1.4 on my OM-D nets you some wicked distortion, while on a d5000 it was perfect). My takumar 35/3.5 was pretty good reverse mounted or on a cheap set of m42 extension tubes (doesn't need much to get pretty high level of zooms).

If you want a dedicated macro, A tamron 90mm can probably be found close to 100 bucks in whatever mount you have an adapter for with a bit of hunting.

This was a 35/3.5 on about an inch of extension tubes

_6020127.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

And this was a reverse mounted 50/1.4 (mounted on a nikon, so some extra flange distance involved there).

DSC_0236.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 2, 2013

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

That's an awesome photo. It's like an insect version of a wolf with a hare in its mouth.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Got the XE-1 last night after work. Really pumped, only took a few test shots in the backyard and inside, but this'll certainly do.

DSCF0013[1] by sinaddr, on Flickr

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I love how the X100/X100s does black and white. I'd rather use the SOOC JPEGs rather than convert in post.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Massive deal on the EOS M right now. They've apparently improved the AF, so this is actually pretty tempting.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jesus christ, even if you just wanted a beater APS-C that is a pretty great deal.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I'd rather get a k-01.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Ordered one. If only i could find the ef -> ef-m adapter for $50-70 I'd buy one right away.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Massive deal on the EOS M right now. They've apparently improved the AF, so this is actually pretty tempting.

Wow, that is certainly one way to generate interest in their mediocre mirrorless.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Shmoogy posted:

Ordered one. If only i could find the ef -> ef-m adapter for $50-70 I'd buy one right away.

There were some on amazon for that price earlier today, but they've all been snaped up.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

So is this a sign of a new mirrorless camera from Canon about to come out, where they have listened to their critics and fans, and decided to release something competitive within the MILC space, or just the vultures circling overhead?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I would bet it is the latter.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So what were the complaints about the M (other than the AF, which is supposed to be better with the firmware update)?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

So what were the complaints about the M (other than the AF, which is supposed to be better with the firmware update)?

It was $850 when it was first released, with all the manual controls of a $150 point and shoot, when you could get a NEX-6 for $150 more.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Non articulating screen, no viewfinder option as well as other features left off because canon wants to keep the dinosaur aesthetic and form factor of the DSLR alive as long as they can. I guess their niche could be pricing their mirrorless like a point and shoot since it controls like one.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Costello Jello posted:

So is this a sign of a new mirrorless camera from Canon about to come out, where they have listened to their critics and fans, and decided to release something competitive within the MILC space, or just the vultures circling overhead?

They just developed sensor phase detection AF on the new 70D. I imagine they're going to use that on a new M body.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Around the time of the launch, there was a quote from a Canon representative who said that the target demographic was 'women who don't like bulky DSLRs' (or words to those effects). Compared to say the ethos of say the Fuji X range, it confirmed to a lot of people that Canon's primary consideration when developing the system wasn't "Let's make the most mind-blowing awesome device" but "Lets protect our DSLR sales". Internet forums et al are by their very nature populated by people who react vocally to the camera manufacturers holding back or prioritizing 'people who take snaps' over 'photographers'.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

That's what I paid for my GRD IV :stare:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ThisQuietReverie posted:

That's what I paid for my GRD IV :stare:

Yeah but at least you got a good camera.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Based on occasional observation of tourists with cameras in Paris, it seems like DSLRs and compact cameras are most abundant, followed by cell phones, compacts with fixed zoom lenses, people taking goddamn pictures of dark artworks with their ipads/miscellaneous tablet front cameras, and finally EVIL/MILCs dead last. Mostly I see Nikon J1 lookalikes followed by NEXs but I don't recognize every camera out there just yet.

I don't know if it's just that the digital camera market is slow to shift or if my anecdotal evidence is just worthless. It would be nice to see the NX system get more traction so the bodies improve and the lenses retain value, even if the new ones keep going on sale for relatively cheap prices (30, 45 and 50-200mm for $200 each is not bad).

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just ordered an EOS M. I am going to install magic lantern on it and use it as my exclusive time lapse body. Its funny how I can not find a refub Canon S100 for 250 and I can get a EOS M for 300.

Fuji and Canon actually share a few accessories. Both flash trigger and 2.5mm remote release are the same.

Although I have to fly this one under my wife's radar.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If I get an EOS M, it might keep me entertained long enough to wait for a good sale on the Olympus E-P5 which is what I think I really want, so I'm basically saving myself money, right?