Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

What the gently caress are they doing, this is terrible. They barely showed Hansa's war and somehow hosed that up despite having all of Scandinavia on their side. Now the Novgorod guy keeps killing his army with attrition without actually finishing any sieges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Am I the only one who finds these guys who stream for Paradox (the PR guys, not Johan etc.) extremely obnoxious? They spend the whole time shouting over one another and don't seem to be all that familiar with the new mechanics or even with the basics of the game.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

RabidWeasel posted:

Am I the only one who finds these guys who stream for Paradox (the PR guys, not Johan etc.) extremely obnoxious? They spend the whole time shouting over one another and don't seem to be all that familiar with the new mechanics or even with the basics of the game.

Nope, it's part of the reason I don't normally watch these streams.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Yeah gonna stop watching this, he took a conquest mission and then didn't even include the target province in his peace deal.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
What's the Star and Crescent EU4 DLC? I can't find info on it

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Cowcatcher posted:

What's the Star and Crescent EU4 DLC? I can't find info on it

quote:

Star and Crescent- 50 new Muslim themed event pictures, as well as several new events for the Muslim nations

Sounds neat, I'd probably drop 50 cents on it if it doesn't come with a pre-order.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
The Watcher thing seems to be functioning. Thanks for all the help.

Edit: Scratch that. Played ten years, saved, and quit, and now it's crashing just after Loading Graphics. I'll worry about it tomorrow.

Golden_Zucchini fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 3, 2013

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

uPen posted:

Sounds neat, I'd probably drop 50 cents on it if it doesn't come with a pre-order.

That, along with unique cavalry graphics for some Middle Eastern cultures and some extra music, comes with the Digital Extreme edition for $5 more. (Green Man's cashback or store credit preorder bonus is $1/$2 larger than for the standard edition, though, reducing it to $3-$4 extra if you go that way.)

General preorder bonuses -- regardless of edition -- are a Hundred Years' War infantry model pack and Byzantine events and models, with two more to be revealed in August.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

RabidWeasel posted:

Nope, not at all. It depends heavily on who they have running the show at any given time but they're mostly awful.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Oh god I'm nearly done with OOB's.

After doing china, if I see the word irregular or banner again I will kill myself.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

So what are the chances they'll edit the political map colours before release? Because they look really ugly, and they must be aware of it because I always see complaints.

I mean I'm guessing they'll be a mod of it pretty quickly, but it seems like something that could quickly be fixed before release. They just seem a little too bright and shiny. Odd texture to them or something.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Rejected Fate posted:

So what are the chances they'll edit the political map colours before release? Because they look really ugly, and they must be aware of it because I always see complaints.

I mean I'm guessing they'll be a mod of it pretty quickly, but it seems like something that could quickly be fixed before release. They just seem a little too bright and shiny. Odd texture to them or something.

I also noticed that Orthodoxy is still the original brown color unlike the Byzantine purple color it was changed to in CK2.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Unless I'm imaging things the political map got darker during winter and I thought it looked better, or it was just darker for another reason at some point. It does look too bright and play doh'y but there's usually a bunch of day one color mods since that's the easiest thing in the game to change.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
How is EvW doing?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Horribly.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Top Hats Monthly posted:

How is EvW doing?

:(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
First beta version, woo!

Absolutism - Beta 0.3 for HoD 3.03!

If there are any little things, no matter how weird, report them here or Here

Orders of Battle should mostly be done. If armies seem small sometimes compared to the limit you have, you try making custom OOB's. No sorry, don't do that. Please, save yourself. Were now down to the bit's i'm gonna have a ton of trouble with provided everything I've done so far works. That being decisions, events and graphical additions such as flags and I need some religion icons too. Fun times.

Thanks for any help you bother to give, testing wise, the above, or just simply feedback.

Also, a little look at the Great Powers and the China situation.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Rejected Fate posted:

I definitely don't think the EUIV political map looks as good as CKII. I really like the more subdued and 'faded' colors of CKII.

I might 'Fed-Ex' arrow people here, but, am I the only one who is driven nuts by the fact that the EUIV terrain relief is lit from the lower right instead of from the 'correct' upper left? Really annoys me more then it (rationally) should.

quote:

Of cartography's many conventions, few are as rigorously followed as the use of upper left illumination (northwest on a north-oriented map) to portray shaded relief. When an illumination source other than the upper left is used the resulting shaded relief tends not to look right. In extreme cases relief inversion occurs, a perceptual problem whereby mountains appear as valleys and vice versa. Relief inversion is most problematic when lower right (southeast on a north-oriented map) illumination is used, when the light source is perpendicular to linear landforms, and when linear landforms are situated amidst flat surroundings. Canyons are especially susceptible to relief inversion, perhaps because most readers are accustomed to visualizing positive landforms (i.e. mountains) on map shaded relief rather than the inverted world of canyon country (figure 1).

The use of upper left illumination for cartographic shaded relief is a curious standard for depicting topography in a supposedly realistic manner. In the natural world the Sun almost never shines from northwest except during midsummer in the very highest latitudes, where few people live to witness the event. Instead, our preference for upper left illumination is largely due to ergonomical considerations and cultural preference. Because most people are right handed, when we write or draw we tend to place desk lighting above and to the left so as not to cast shadows over our work. Moreover, our work generally progresses from upper left to lower right, minimizing the possibility for smearing.

When depicting shaded relief and other 3D phenomena on a flat sheet of paper, we naturally take a cue from the lighting within our work place environment and apply shadows to the lower right sides of slopes. Centuries of depicting topography in this manner has ingrained this cartographic convention. This preference for upper left illumination/lower right shadowing pervades all of western graphical culture and can even be seen in the graphic user interface (GUI) of computers—note the upper left highlights and lower right shadows that are used to depict 3D icons and palettes. The Roman alphabet also shows this preference. It is not coincidental that we write from the upper left to lower right and that many of the lower-case letters contain their identifying characteristics on the lower right side (for example: g, h, q, b, and y).

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 3, 2013

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I have a small request. Can you use a different flag for the Republic of China, perhaps the 5 races flag?

Everyone uses the Kuomintang/Guomindang flag and it just seems lazy. The flag is also pretty specific to the Guomindang political party which didn't come into existence until around the turn of the 20th century.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I have a small request. Can you use a different flag for the Republic of China, perhaps the 5 races flag?

Everyone uses the Kuomintang/Guomindang flag and it just seems lazy. The flag is also pretty specific to the Guomindang political party which didn't come into existence until around the turn of the 20th century.

:colbert:

Westminster System posted:

Were now down to the bit's i'm gonna have a ton of trouble with provided everything I've done so far works. That being decisions, events and graphical additions such as flags and I need some religion icons too.

Haha, no, thank you for this, it'll get put in when it gets put in though, just don't get too angry if it doesn't appear for a while as flags are like last thing to do unless people hand me a ton of them correctly named at the moment.

Thanks for any help you bother to give, testing wise, the above, or just simply feedback.

:swoon:

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 4, 2013

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Fintilgin posted:

I definitely don't think the EUIV political map looks as good as CKII. I really like the more subdued and 'faded' colors of CKII.

I might 'Fed-Ex' arrow people here, but, am I the only one who is driven nuts by the fact that the EUIV terrain relief is lit from the lower right instead of from the 'correct' upper left? Really annoys me more then it (rationally) should.

It bugs me too, but the map should be easy enough to mod that someone will probably have a desaturated / flatmap mod floating around right after release. I know someone did a more extensive overhaul of the terrain heights in CK2, but something with that much depth will probably take a bit longer to appear.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Has Paradox shown off any late-game EU4 screenshots yet? There's plots and comments galore about the map already, but seeing a few late-game shots could lead to a bit more speculation about AI behavior and maybe suggest a few ways things could be tweaked.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Haha, no, thank you for this, it'll get put in when it gets put in though, just don't get too angry if it doesn't appear for a while as flags are like last thing to do unless people hand me a ton of them correctly named at the moment.

:swoon:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?504109-V2-Flags-Minefield-s-Filtered-Flags-Pack

This flag project has the 5 races flag, as well as some others that you could use. China is properly labelled too and the flags are all from periods before Victoria 2 ends. Half the Chinese flags in the base game are from 1938 onward.

There are a lot of flags in that pack too so I'm sure you could find some other good ones in there as well.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Fintilgin posted:

terrain relief shading
:spergin:

Although this did remind me that in EU Rome you could rotate and tilt the map. It's pretty much useless but I liked loving around with it anyway. I wish they'd include that in other Clausewitz engine games as an option.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

You know, I hadn't even noticed that until you pointed it out, but now I'll never be able to ignore it. I didn't really like the like of EU4's map all that much to begin with. It looks too... soft, I guess. Playdoh-y, like Trujillo said. I really like CK2's terrain map, but it feels like they've hosed it up in some way with EU4. I can't say for sure until I actually play it though.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fintilgin posted:

So that's whats been bugging me all this time. That map has been driving me nuts and I had no idea what was causing it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Turns out you can open up the world_normal_height.bmp file, invert the red and blue channels, and have the game lit from the 'proper' direction. Maybe it's subtle and 'spergy', but I think it looks better, and am totally doing the same thing first thing to EUIV.

Here's the inverted .bmp if anyone else wants it. Throw it in the map directory.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Hey guys, you know what EvW really needs at this desperate hour? A mod that extends the timeline.

Edit: Also updated my OP to reflect EvW's impeding glory.

Gorgo Primus fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 4, 2013

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

quote:

This game, the devs have said, is ideological and isn't really prepared to deal with the ultra complex world of democratic revolutions, religion and guerrilla terrorism.

:catstare:

Seems like a bit of a problem...?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

DerLeo posted:

Democracy: not an ideology. If only democracy involved calculating missile loadouts.

On mapchat, for me the apex of Paradox game maps was EU3 with mods. The move to more "realistic" maps with 3d terrain and lighting always felt more artificial than anything; it always felt more immersive to me when the map looked like something a mapmaker would have produced, like I was a minister of state looking at an actual map. Making it into actual folded graph paper was a bit much, though; they would never fold maps like that in a palace map room :colbert:

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

On mapchat, for me the apex of Paradox game maps was EU3 Victoria 2.

Fixed. I agree though, give me a flat map any-day. However it's obvious Paradox loves their terrain maps. What with always showing it off in streams and screenshots despite the fact nobody spends more than 10 seconds on it before finding the political mapmode and never going back.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

DerLeo posted:

Okay, this loving tears it. I was the last holdout still cautiously optimistic about EvW and this quote's finally broken me. Maybe I could be charitable and assume that they just mean the specific kinds of religious terrorism and democratic revolution seen in the last ten years, like al-Qaeda's terrorism or the Arab Spring, but honestly that's a weak defense. If they can't do al-Qaeda's terrorism, how could they do the bombing of the Marine barracks in Beirut? If they can't do Egypt ousting Mubarak in favor of a democratic government, how could they represent Iran overthrowing the Shah in favor of an Islamist government in 1979? They may be entirely different things with wildly different contexts in real life, but in "grand strategy game mechanics" terms there isn't much of a difference.

I'll still probably buy the game if it's just twenty-ish dollars, but only because someone has to be the thread's guinea pig, and I'm willing to jump on that grenade.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 4, 2013

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Ho do I recallll diplos in eu4 & use missionaries?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

DerLeo posted:

Every time I say "Yup EvW is garbage, no redeeming factors", they come back and hit us with another piece of magic! Revolution and guerrilla warfare are eh whatever, I'm sure the collapse of the Soviet Bloc and the Vietnam war didn't need those. I guess you can kinda circumvent religious strife by replacing religious rebels with reactionary/authoritarin rebels, but, it just seems more and more like EvW will be HoI3 with a really long timeline and more world wars. I guess if you're into that, go hogwild but it seems like the devs don't really know what the Cold War is. They seem to think it was literally just the wars fought between the end of WWII and the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

EUIV's not out yet :confused: If you mean EUIII (respectively);

you don't just wait to get more

click a province you own that has no construction underway, and has a religion different than your state religion. You may gain missionaries slowly or not at all, mouseover the missionary icon on the top of the screen to see if it's positive; slider moves to innovation tend to make you not get missionaries.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

First you stop drinking. Its not even the 4th yet.

Second you start drinking even more.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
So now my Byzantium who ate the PLC has a PU with Bohemia. This will probably end up being my largest empire excepting my France-HRE from 4.0 that I don't count because it was stupid easy to force unions on poo poo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Greetings, time traveler! Can I bother you for some lottery numbers?

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

DrProsek posted:

They seem to think it was literally just the wars fought between the end of WWII and the collapse of the Soviet Union.

But... wasn't the Cold War was the greatest social experiment in history because there were no wars?! :downs:

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
So I said I'd do spotlights right? Well..

I'm starting. These really help me think about the nations brief history and where I can expand upon them, as well as the personality "RP wise" (If you don't RP in your head in these games, what's wrongwith you?) and cores I need to add for them. As always, Feedback is what I desire.

Spotlight One!

The Roman Empire

The Extent of her primary territories:

Current claims:

Getting to know Rome:

The success of the crusades changed the course of the Byzantine Empire - and ultimately Rhomaion - forever. No longer at the whim of western mercenaries or under intense pressure from the Turks, Byzantium saw a period of unparalleled peace and stability. This time was not left idle however, successive Emperors cultivated the stability and pushed the empire's thinkers forward, forming ties with its neighbors and adapting the new technology of western europe whilst simultaneously supporting the continued eradication of corruption that threatened the heart of the Empire.

The ultimate failure of the Pope to maintain authority over western christendom opened doors for the Byzantine Empire. With the ancient territory of Tarento restored during the long peace, the sacking of Rome by Protestant forces from Prussia, Burgundy and their allies left a hole in the authority of central Italy - with Sicilies own armies shattered, the troops of Byzantium marched, rather unceremoniously and unchallenged into Naples and Rome, restoring imperial authority to these territories and quietly declaring the Roman Empire, in some manner, partially restored. The ongoing turmoil in Europe left this announcement unheeded.

The ultimate reclamation of the Crimea from the Golden Horde and the inheritance of the Georgian Throne expanded Byzantium's borders - and the collapse of the crusader state of Jerusalem to internal bickering along lines seen in Europe allowed the partition of its territories between Alexandria and Byzantium. However, this partition was not as clean as it could be - and has lead to centuries of minor conflict and tense relations in the area between the two states, something that has, despite the restoration of imperial authority over Mesopotamia, allowed the Caliphate to reform in Arabia and Persia to modernize its system of government and most worryingly, its military. Detractors proclaim the recent foray into India is a waste of resources best spent on reclaiming the Empire and protecting it from threats - and they are right, already, the Byzantine Military is at its breaking point and simply cannot be fully supported, let alone cover all the territory of the Empire from those who wish to reclaim what they perceive to be theirs. The failure of the Empire to reclaim the island of Sicily or create a reliable semblance of authority north of Rome is telling.

Byzantine Population:

In Byzantium itself, a Roman revival is ongoing. Whilst most of the population continue to speak Greek, the Roman renaissance, with its epicentre in the city of Rome itself, has given rise to a new segment of Byzantine Society. At least one in every two fighting age men now considers himself to be a Roman, rather than a Greek, despite what language he may speak, and Latin names are now required for military positions and is slowly creeping into the government itself, where the teaching of Latin has now become mandatory once more. The Greek Elite are concerned that this marks a break from tradition - a return to the decadent Roman Empire that failed the world whilst Greek culture saved the east. However, it is obvious that for the common man, the door has been opened and will not easily be closed.

Rhomaion stands at a crossroads, internal dissent brews, not just in the Empire, but throughout Europe, and if the ancient nation survives, can it's stretched resources match up to the tasks ahead? Does it continue to focus on the Middle East, India and Russia, enemies in name or past action? Or does it recognize its past legacy and begin the long arduous task to reclaiming the Empire?

Only the Emperor can decide.

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
I've poked around my Watcher mod looking for files that changed between the time I started the game and the time I saved the game and can't find anything out of place.

The mod loaded and ran fine, and when I quit without saving it loaded fine the next time as well. Only after having saved and quit did start crashing again on load, right after Loading Graphics. The messages go by too fast in vanilla for me to see what shows up then, but any ideas where to look? Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first time modding.

• Locked thread