Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I, TheBlobThing, with my head bowed in shame, enter the lottery for the unknown oathbreaker avatar. May god have mercy on my soul, for the oath thread shan't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

krushgroove posted:

I have also noted that WE HAVE RECIDIVISTS IN OUR MIDST! Serial Offenders! Repeat Oathbreakers! Heathens! I put it to you, good people of the Oath Thread...what shall we do with these...heretics?! (Votes must come from any participants who have completed oaths for May and June.)
If they want to regain some honor at all, they shall convert and paint a Miniature of Shame (that is, something that appropriately (thread decides) reflects the dishonor of oathbreaking. In a very silly color scheme painted to a good standard). One miniature will suffice, given that completing two is beyond their meager abilities.

...or failing that, pizza hats :v:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So just to be sure, if I have a model that's already converted but not painted, would a box art image be acceptable as the "before" photo?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Pierzak posted:

If they want to regain some honor at all, they shall convert and paint a Miniature of Shame (that is, something that appropriately (thread decides) reflects the dishonor of oathbreaking. In a very silly color scheme painted to a good standard). One miniature will suffice, given that completing two is beyond their meager abilities.

...or failing that, pizza hats :v:

I think including a picture of them in a silly hat with their Oath submission is a good way to regain honor. That or write a 100 word essay on titsmarines.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
Uh oh, I was going to coast on a weird timetable and use the oath thread as 'general' motivation to paint, but if we're talking further penalties here...

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I don't think extra penalties are necessary. That's more likely to just make people quit the thread entirely.

Of course, everyone is free to wear a pizza hat if they so choose.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think each oath breaker should devise their own fun act of contrition and tell the thread about it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

The Impaler posted:

Uh oh, I was going to coast on a weird timetable and use the oath thread as 'general' motivation to paint, but if we're talking further penalties here...

Not 'penalties', per se...

moths posted:

I think each oath breaker should devise their own fun act of contrition and tell the thread about it.

More like this ^^^

Just something fun in the general spirit of the Oath Thread. We're only talking about repeat offenders, which are 2 or 3 people I think (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!). Just somethin' to talk about!

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Dagon posted:

I, Dagon, oath 10 Games-Workshop Kroot for July

Pre primer and pre cut and swap, any green on the base is just sand and flock that will be primed over.

Since these are sniper Kroot, I cut off the extra blades and crap from their guns, and added various bipods, pouches, and sights.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Since I finished only one model last month, time to step it up a bit...

I, Lord Hypnostache, oath to paint the following in the month of July: 1 Hellhound, 1 Cyber Mastiff, 1 Chosen Chaos Space Marine, 8 Imperial Guard veterans, 1 Banner/Objective marker, 1 Commissar and one Vendetta.

EDIT: Oh, everything is made by Games Workshop. Forgot to mention that.

That's the body I'm using as a base when converting the Commissar, and those Valkyrie flier bits will be the majority of a Vendetta flier. I haven't chosen/scavenged all the bits I'm going to need for those two, so is it okay if I take WIP pictures as I build them to show the parts used?

Also, two questions just to clarify I've understood this months oath. To complete the oath, I will have to cut something, just swapping parts is not enough, right? And I must take photos before and after cutting, a photo of an uncut model for comparison is not enough, correct?

Lord Hypnostache fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 4, 2013

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

krushgroove posted:

Not 'penalties', per se...

More like this ^^^

Just something fun in the general spirit of the Oath Thread. We're only talking about repeat offenders, which are 2 or 3 people I think (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!). Just somethin' to talk about!
I think a repentance oath that can regain some of the points they missed out on is a good idea. Also, a great opportunity for comedy conversions/paintjobs.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yes - let's keep this conversation going! Let's hear everyone's thoughts. Making up a few points that were lost by not completing oaths is a good idea too.

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Also, two questions just to clarify I've understood this months oath. To complete the oath, I will have to cut something, just swapping parts is not enough, right?
The theme is called Cut And Swap, but there's some (err...a lot of) leeway, you can swap things out, for instance Forge World parts for standard parts, etc. I don't want to have it be really difficult for someone to get their Jurnal points and miss out on a chance at the Quarterly prizes, especially if they feel 'stuck' doing a model that isn't for example a GW/FW model that has easy swapping possibilities.

quote:

And I must take photos before and after cutting, a photo of an uncut model for comparison is not enough, correct?
Correct - there was a grace period for people who'd already done conversions but didn't know what the Jurnal theme is for this month, but starting today we have to have a BEFORE and AFTER picture. Even if it just means you've Blu Tac'd the standard arm in place and then you've swapped it with an alternate arm. The intent is that you're using something that makes the original model/kit/set look obviously different. The example above of changing a knife-holding hand to a pistol-holding hand is perfect.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Alright, thanks for the clarification.

RE Oath Repentance: I like the idea of making a shame model to repent, it could lead to some funny and/or awesome conversions and paintjobs. And giving a chance to regain lost points seems fair, this thread is all about getting stuff done.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

I Harkano, oath this Privateer Press Trollblood Mountain King for the month of July.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Yeah, I don't want the punishment to be mandatory, we don't want to discourage people after all - you don't want the penance, you'll just be a dishonorable oather :v: and an option to do some creative penance to regain some % of lost points would be nice. And I second the silly hat photo idea.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I, Dr. Red Ranger, do hereby oath to paint these here pictured hams (Games Workshop Chaos Terminators).

Also, Aww, it's a baby!

EDIT: Figured out how to put my name on it, and also because I don't know how to identify my things.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 4, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I, Dr. Red Ranger, do hereby oath to paint these here pictured hams.

Also, Aww, it's a baby!

We know what those are (GW Chaos Terminators), but just so you're aware we are keeping track of what companies and models are represented by the participants, so in the future please make sure to tell us what make/model your models are :)

Quest Jefferson
Mar 27, 2010
I, Quest Jefferson, oath a Kodiak Heavy Warjack and Vladimir Tzepesci, Great Prince of Umbrey for July. Both models are from Privateer Press.

What kind of Kodiak is that? I don't want some little bear paws, I want me some BEAR CLAWS!

There, that's much better.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Pierzak posted:

Yeah, I don't want the punishment to be mandatory, we don't want to discourage people after all - you don't want the penance, you'll just be a dishonorable oather :v: and an option to do some creative penance to regain some % of lost points would be nice. And I second the silly hat photo idea.

Edible Silly hats are the best hats!

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I, Mr.Booger, Oath 12 Baccus ACW confederate cav (6mm) and 1 GW Necron (28-30mm)

cutting up the necron, will add conversion pic once done.

Sword arm arm chopped off, sniper rifle turned into a SMG and added, shield removed and communications gauntlet added. also added some aerial fins, as I guess he is now a comms officer.

Mr.Booger fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 4, 2013

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Mr.Booger posted:

I, Mr.Booger, Oath 12 Baccus ACW confederate cav (6mm) and 1 GW Necron (28-30mm)

cutting up the necron, will add conversion pic once done.

I like to think the Necron is terribly confused as he stares at the miniature (:rimshot:) horsemen.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've just caught up with the thread. Apologies to everyone for not doing the prize drawings for June yet; I intended to get to them today, but I wound up working late and then had some friends unexpectedly drop by and now I need to get some shut-eye. Tomorrow I'll be going to my wife's parent's house for July 4th BBQ, but when I get home I should have a couple hours free to do the random drawings. This is going to include not only the June prizes, but also the May/June bi-monthly Ineptmule's Theme Prize, which he will announce himself once I validate the eligibility list.

Appropos of that, please check the sheet if you have any doubts as to whether I've properly credited you for one or two entries into the themed group contest, by reviewing the Bi-Monthly Prizes: May/June tab of the spreadsheet.

Quite a few of you have posted good before/after photos of your conversions. Rather than reply to every single one that I have "approved of" (not in the respect that sole.sushi approves an oath, but only in the respect that I agree you've met the requirements for documenting your conversion), please check the July 2013 tab of the spreadsheet. If you have URLs in both the blue "Conversion Before" column and the "Conversion After" column, and a 'y' in the orange "Conversion" column, then you're good.

If you don't, then either I missed something you intended to indicate was a conversion, or there was a problem of some kind.

Also, in light of krushgroove's explanation, here...

krushgroove posted:

The theme is called Cut And Swap, but there's some (err...a lot of) leeway, you can swap things out, for instance Forge World parts for standard parts, etc. I don't want to have it be really difficult for someone to get their Jurnal points and miss out on a chance at the Quarterly prizes, especially if they feel 'stuck' doing a model that isn't for example a GW/FW model that has easy swapping possibilities.

I'm now thinking that this...

YF19pilot posted:

Well, I did drill a hole to mount the machine gun on the roof, but fair is fair. And yeah, different guys with a different weapon (Italians in a German truck with Italian weaponry). I'll have the bits to do that bergepanther I posted in about a week, and I'll add that to my oath.

...probably meets the minimum. Krushgroove, do you think YF19pilot's swap of troops and a gun in the back of his military truck is sufficient to meet the monthly theme?

Finally: hey Sole.Sushi, I'm starting to get a wee bit nervous. I hope you'll have time soon to approve of the posted Oaths. If not, let me and krushgroove know, maybe we can find you an understudy.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

:siren: I, Kommando, pledge to paint this unseen Sparrowhawk Aerospace Fighter and Adder Battlemech for the month of July (by Iron Wind Metals). :siren:

Probably not doing the Jernel as extra bitz for Battletech are pretty rare.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 4, 2013

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

SHAME! DISHONOUR! A failed oath for the month of June!

I accept all responsibilities for wearing the Oathbreaker Avatar of Penitence, though this month I aim to rectify my misdeeds. For July, I, lovestick oath a Battletech Jagermech by Catalyst Games and swear to Save da Whales! for the previous month by completing my failed oath as found here.

The "Save da Whales!" part. I will fix this sick filth by completing these poor robots.

the Battletech Jagermech for the month of July.

Look at this sad, horrible model. It was the worst one I could find in my collection not to mention it is pretty awful in the game. I aim to take all of the horrible, oathbreaking tendencies inside of me and banish it into this vile plastic phylactery. As punishment for being an Oathbreaker, I will need your help in coming up with a suitable paint scheme once I finish cutting him up and sticking him back together. In addition, I'll play him in an upcoming campaign to remind me to keep painting.

Photo with timestamp all together.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

lovestick posted:

Look at this sad, horrible model. It was the worst one I could find in my collection not to mention it is pretty awful in the game. I aim to take all of the horrible, oathbreaking tendencies inside of me and banish it into this vile plastic phylactery. As punishment for being an Oathbreaker, I will need your help in coming up with a suitable paint scheme once I finish cutting him up and sticking him back together. In addition, I'll play him in an upcoming campaign to remind me to keep painting.

Paint every tile on his silly body a different vibrant colour! You can't bring him to a game without causing severe headaches and nausea.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

My god, it will look like a cross between an Eldar Harlequin and a WWI biplane. I would also like to see this penance realized.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Leperflesh posted:

Also, in light of krushgroove's explanation, here...

I'm now thinking that this...

...probably meets the minimum. Krushgroove, do you think YF19pilot's swap of troops and a gun in the back of his military truck is sufficient to meet the monthly theme?

Yeah I'd say it is fine, even if we Can’t tell tiny Germans from tiny Italians! :)

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

krushgroove posted:

Yeah I'd say it is fine, even if we Can’t tell tiny Germans from tiny Italians! :)

Okay, that's cool. I didn't want to be the guy to muddy the lines, but cool is cool. I'm still going to do the Bergepanther once I get the parts for it, so I'll at least have one model that is clearly cut & swapped.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

lovestick posted:

I, lovestick, oath to paint 8 Battletech 'Mechs for the month of June! They are 6mm scale made by Ral Partha (I think).

lovestick posted:

SHAME! DISHONOUR! A failed oath for the month of June!

I accept all responsibilities for wearing the Oathbreaker Avatar of Penitence, though this month I aim to rectify my misdeeds. For July, I, lovestick oath a Battletech Jagermech by Catalyst Games and swear to Save da Whales! for the previous month by completing my failed oath as found here.

The "Save da Whales!" part. I will fix this sick filth by completing these poor robots.

the Battletech Jagermech for the month of July.

Photo with timestamp all together.

The "Save da whales" mechs are by Iron Wind Metals, the Jagermech is by Catalyst Game Labs
Ral Partha Europe still make them and sell them but the line is a little fuzzy, and for the purposes of the Oath thread, lets just say the manufacturer is IWM.

Also, Hooray another battletech painter.

OTOH, those images are huge, didnt Leperflesh just talk about image sizes?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It was krushgroove, but the image size thing applies to the oath complete images that will go in the monthly slideshow. For my own part, I view this thread on my 22" monitor and I say, the bigger the better! My opinion on this matter is not popular though.

General forums guidelines are to TIMG anything bigger than 1024 pixels wide or something, though, so maybe do that. I think sole.sushi likes larger images for the oath shot so he can read the timestamp.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It should be painted in alternate patterns of plaid, using the little boxes as guidelines.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
I, Zhent, oath one Ravenwing Attack Bike from Games Workshop

Given the holiday, I am going to try and get this one done in 24 hours...

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Kommando posted:

Also, Hooray another battletech painter.

OTOH, those images are huge, didnt Leperflesh just talk about image sizes?

I used to love...LOVE! Battletech, it was my first tabletop wargaming experience, playing with guys who just enjoyed the idea of big robots and weren't even close to what anyone would call gaming nerds or geeks. But the models need some drastic updating, every single one is just standing stock-still - the old models that some of the GW players complain about being outdated and boring having nothing on the Battletech models.

Anyway, about the pictures, I only moan about the Oath Complete pictures, primarily to keep the playing field level when some people post pictures that are 400-600px wide and others post pictures over 3000px across. Because of the variety in the way everyone takes pictures, that could mean the equivalent of looking at a model at arm's length or looking at a model under a magnifying glass, which to me is unfair when we take all the models to the judges. As for the timestamp photos, they can be as wide as anyone wants, as long as the 'timg' tag is used.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Because I am a masochist, I, Pierzak, add the following miniatures to my July oath:

- 3 Yaogats (combi, combi/panzerfaust, sniper)
- 1 Treitak Spec-Op
- 1 Rasyat with combi rifle
- 1 Morat Vanguard that will have his combi rifle dremeled CUT AND SWAPPED for a multi sniper rifle
- 1 Morat Vanguard with HMG
- 3 Seed-Soldiers

Alle these models are made by Corvus Belli for Infinity and are in 28mm scale.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

lovestick posted:

No two adjacent panels may have the same colour

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
I'm hosting a 4th of July bbq today, but I wanted to let everyone know that TOMORROW will be the quarterly conversion prize awards time!

GET READY

(you win a box of space marine shoulder pads)

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Leperflesh posted:

Quite a few of you have posted good before/after photos of your conversions. Rather than reply to every single one that I have "approved of" (not in the respect that sole.sushi approves an oath, but only in the respect that I agree you've met the requirements for documenting your conversion), please check the July 2013 tab of the spreadsheet. If you have URLs in both the blue "Conversion Before" column and the "Conversion After" column, and a 'y' in the orange "Conversion" column, then you're good.

If you don't, then either I missed something you intended to indicate was a conversion, or there was a problem of some kind.

I'm in the spreadsheet, though I notice my intended 'after' picture is listed as 'before', my 'before' isn't listed, and I don't have an 'after' picture yet. Is this going to be okay? To make it clearer, I've already cut off the bone club, and cut and bent the arm upward. The tankard/bucket sitting on the ground in my 'after' shot will get glued on, painted, during my last step. I'd take another picture, but he's already half painted!

My original post landed after you okayed the first few folks to go through without timestamps on their 'before' pictures, but before you required it for later posters, so I seem to be in a limbo here.

Deanut Pancer posted:

No two adjacent panels may have the same colour

In a flat 2D plane, this typically means 4 colors. Godspeed. :patriot:

Rahotep75
May 21, 2012

I'm just a wild and crazy kind of god.

krushgroove posted:

:siren: FELLOW GOONS :siren:

ENTER YE THE HALL OF BROKEN OATHS

I'm an oathbreaker as well, but it looks like I got missed in this post...

In an attempt to save my honor I will also throw my name in for the Oathbreaker Avatar Deathmatch.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Rahotep75 posted:

In an attempt to save my honor I will also throw my name in for the Oathbreaker Avatar Deathmatch.

We never leave a man/woman/dolphin behind, even for the Wall of Shame! I'll edit in your failed oath as soon as I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Rahotep75 posted:

Ahem, it distinctly said 24 hours after the oathbreaker post.

Yes I know I'm petty, but I want my avatar dammit!
:colbert:

• Locked thread