Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Oasx posted:

I will never understand the desire to make all these tiny wallets that can't hold any coins. I find a normal wallet just fine since it actually allows me to carry stuff..

Just go with aussie solution (thanks to all the kangaroos that sacrificed their life and balls)

Why agonize over something new, when nature already provides a solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

etalian posted:

Just go with aussie solution (thanks to all the kangaroos that sacrificed their life and balls)

Why agonize over something new, when nature already provides a solution?

I unironocally want one of those as a dice bag.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

7thBatallion posted:

The aussie posters also had some great stories about how in the outback the truck nutz are actually real nutz from poor Mr. Kangaroo.

It's considered a sort of good luck charm for driver.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

7thBatallion posted:

eBay has you covered. And it's only $30 which I'm guessing is probably cheaper than those lovely minimalist wallets from Kickstarter.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cyberia posted:

eBay has you covered. And it's only $30 which I'm guessing is probably cheaper than those lovely minimalist wallets from Kickstarter.

We sell these as a secondary market item. Kangaroos are not caught for their scrotum.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
But for any visiting Americans, you're welcome to catch your own pair. But respect the traditions of our country and do it armed only with a bowie knife.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

WebDog posted:

But for any visiting Americans, you're welcome to catch your own pair. But respect the traditions of our country and do it armed only with a bowie knife.

Can I use a folding machete?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Real men hunt with a didgeridoo. Sort of like clubbing baby seals, expect a little more difficult.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Duck and Cover posted:

Real men hunt with a didgeridoo. Sort of like clubbing baby seals, expect a little more difficult.

Hunting Kangaroo is like hunting baby seals if the baby seas were also armed with clubs.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

dijon du jour posted:

Hunting Kangaroo is like hunting baby seals if the baby seas were also armed with clubs.

Shame on you for warning wannabe amateur kangaroo hunters.

Duck and Cover has a new favorite as of 08:01 on Jul 3, 2013

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Shame on you for warning wannabe amateur kangaroo hunters
No worries, it's only the joeys that are like that, kangaroos totally mellow with age.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I know I'm contributing to a stupid derail but one of the primary reasons behind the glass back was for (multiple kinds of) antenna reception.

That's also the entire reason behind the black plastic panels on the original iPhone/most iPod touch models/cellular-enabled iPads and part of the logic behind the plastic shells on the 3g/3gs.

Someone at Apple (probably Jobs and/or Ive) wanted something fancier than plastic for the 4 and they went with glass to arguably positive results- since the number of people who've owned one of these phones without incident is probably several orders of magnitude larger than the number of people who've shattered theirs (yeah yeah, protective cases and whatever...).

This is also why the iPhone 5 has those ceramic/glass panels in the back. There are antennas behind them.

The glass was the best. The 4/S looked slick as hell compared to the 5 which scratches up like a razor from 7 years ago. They were durable as hell too. Just don't throw them at a brick wall when you are mad at your boyfriend or drop them in a toilet and you are probably good.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Xandu posted:

You put coins in your wallet?!

Mercury Hat posted:

They're really common outside of the US where you have to carry $1 or £1 coins, they'll have a zippered compartment for them. In practice, they just make your wallet exceptionally heavy and bulky.

I hadn't actually considered that perhaps the US didn't use many coins. Here in Denmark a wallet without room for coins would be pretty much useless.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Oasx posted:

I hadn't actually considered that perhaps the US didn't use many coins. Here in Denmark a wallet without room for coins would be pretty much useless.

Here in the States coins are used for whatever is due that is not an even dollar or paying for bus fare, and typically go in a front pocket with housekeys, a couple receipts, and whatever else you need to hold on to.

Hell, we have machines made specifically for taking hundreds of dollars worth of loose change that floats between car seats, the laundry room, under couch cushions, as well as whatever change containers we have around and converting it into gift cards. We use lots of coins, we just hate bringing them with us so it sort of piles up.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Uh, everyone knows the appropriate way to hunt kangaroo is by engaging them in fisticuffs. Marquess of Queensberry rules, of course.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Oasx posted:

Everyone needs coins for swimming pool lockers and supermarket trolleys.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

These rubber band wallets seem cool in theory but a hassle to use when you actually need to purchase anything. Unless you have the order of your cards memorized, I don't see how it's better than a regular wallet. ~minimalism~

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Box of Bunnies posted:

Uh, everyone knows the appropriate way to hunt kangaroo is by engaging them in fisticuffs. Marquess of Queensberry rules, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TRNXfdPGzc

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Just sent my Kickstarter in for approval, and have gotten good feedback and am thinking its looking really nice. Launch is getting me anxious.

I'm buying banner ads for SA, some serious and some more lighthearted, but does anyone have any general advice in how to get my name out there? Such as what sites to buy ads on. I've contacted basically everyone there is to contact by mail and by email, and am going to keep doing so.

I know theres a thread for advice, and I've been following it- however the advice I'm asking from you all is not how to make it great... instead it is how to make it not suck in the ways most people fall into suckage.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

Rapdawg posted:

Just sent my Kickstarter in for approval, and have gotten good feedback and am thinking its looking really nice. Launch is getting me anxious.

I'm buying banner ads for SA, some serious and some more lighthearted, but does anyone have any general advice in how to get my name out there? Such as what sites to buy ads on. I've contacted basically everyone there is to contact by mail and by email, and am going to keep doing so.

I know theres a thread for advice, and I've been following it- however the advice I'm asking from you all is not how to make it great... instead it is how to make it not suck in the ways most people fall into suckage.

My only piece of advice is please do not do the "oh hey didn't see you there" turn towards camera bullshit that like 3/4 of the Kickstarters I have seen have in their pitch video.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Rapdawg posted:

What is your project?

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)

Rapdawg posted:

Ctrl+F the following: steampunk, zombies, wallet, post-apocalyptic, webcomic, iAccessory.

If nothing turns up, I'd say you're on the right track!

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

b0red posted:

These rubber band wallets seem cool in theory but a hassle to use when you actually need to purchase anything. Unless you have the order of your cards memorized, I don't see how it's better than a regular wallet. ~minimalism~

I use one and I have an order everything goes in. It's not better, it just suits me better. And all in all its about the same size of my old wallet, just more durable.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

judge reinhold posted:

We understand this is something that has never been done but in 1492 Christopher Columbus went out into the sea and everybody told him he was going to fall off the end of the world but with his risk and passion we now know the earth is round and without his will and guts we would not be where we are today. The point i am trying to make nothing is risk free 16 years ago there was no internet but one man changed that. HEDY LAMARR was a actresses in the 1930's she came up with guided torpedoes for world war 2 she called and called the US army, government but no one listened because she was beauty and she was a actresses. My point is no one can understand vision if it was the 1930's are 1492 would kickstarter be a place to support like Hedy Lamarr and Christopher Columbus

I miss the sheer passion Realgamersgrind had for this project. Too many of the bad kickstarters are all :geno: "I have an idea. Give me money."

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I decided to archive binge the Good Kickstarters thread in PYF, and found this posted on the first page: Ravaged. It's long since funded, but it's an absolutely pure slice of "Remember when games were good? Back before the casuals?" :smug:

Some choice quotes:

Dawn Games posted:

As video game developers we often get pulled into the land of publishers. While its good to have someone backing your game, it also tends to focus games towards trends...

The game is called Ravaged, a post-apocalyptic vehicular first-person shooter.

Yes, tell me about how your post-apocalyptic multiplayer FPS boldly defies industry trends.

Dawn Games posted:

Why is this different from other first person shooters?

Focus on Fun...

Because nobody else is trying to make shooters that are fun.

Dawn Games posted:

Skill is Needed

Vehicles and weapons require skill to use, noobs beware!

So what you're saying is that I probably don't want to buy your game, considering that every player at the start is a noob. Got it.

I really really hate this whole attitude, and this Kickstarter is it distilled and refined. The whole thing sounds nothing like developers with an actual idea of how the game's systems will work, it comes off more like a bunch of 15 year olds fantasizing about :pcgaming:the perfect game:pcgaming: that isn't for the smelly casuals.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The average critic score on MetaCritic for it is 64, and the user score is even lower at 57. :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rapdawg posted:

Edit your video. Get somebody who knows what they're doing to edit your video.

Show the entire video and kickstarter page to somebody :siren: BEFORE LAUNCHING IT :siren:, and get all their comments and take those into consideration, remake the page accordingly. Maybe repeat this a few times.

The more polished everything is at launch, the better off you'll be.

Edit all of the text you write, make sure it all flows well. Get people to read it, and make revisions. Just like College.

Break up your text into neat paragraphs and use either pictures or graphics to break them up. Its pleasing to the eye and draws attention. If people see a wall of text, they go "TLDR" nowadays.

Don't try to be ironic or awkward or do anything ridiculous in your video. Get to the point very quickly. You can be funny if you are funny, but again, test this on an audience. Make sure it works, else just cut it.

If at ALL possible, have a product ready to show off before you even START, or a prototype. If that is infeasible for the project, have as much work as you can show off, some kind of a portfolio of work that is similar, show that you're not some random internet jackoff or I'm going to assume you're a random internet jackoff who has no clue how much money X is going to cost to make and is going to piss it all down the drain.

If you can't take the time to go through all the above ^ You shouldn't be launching a Kickstarter. Imagine you were about to go interview on Dragon's Den or American Inventor or whatever. Try to imagine the counter-arguments people will have, and have responses ready for them.

Good luck.
Maybe you could post some of it here and we could make fun of it for you, so you know what to remove?

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Jul 3, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The average critic score on MetaCritic for it is 64, and the user score is even lower at 57. :v:

Holy poo poo, I never even thought to check. That's loving magical. :allears:

Here's some great user reviews:

Seryin posted:

[2/10]

This game appealed to me in various ways. I am a huge fan of the post-apocalyptic theme and competitive shooters. The map environments are well detailed and are interesting to explore. However, this game just feels awful. The controls and gunplay are extremely awkward. Besides the fact that the game just feels wrong, there is also absolutely NO playerbase to mention. At any given time I can log in and fine anywhere from 1-15 people playing. Also, the START match button on the menu has been broken for months and the developers have done nothing except tell you to use the browse feature instead. This game also frequently crashes on me.

Overall, this game really has no unique or interesting value to it. It is a very weak developed shooter with lots of broken features and no playerbase.
If the developers of Ravaged could at least take the time to fix a major bug present at the main menu, maybe I wouldn't rate the game as low as I am. But as of right now, Ravaged is by far one of the worst games I have purchased, ever.

Darth Revan posted:

[2/10]

I have to say, before you read on, I played only for 28 minutes. If this is an issue for you, ignore it, but I promise I have a really good reasons for it.

For gameplay? Oh god no. First off one of the major things I thought this game was about was the vehicles. Turns out, they're terrible. They drive absolutely horrible and defy physics sometimes. The sounds produced by the vehicles are alright, but just end up producing an annoying buzz after so long. The weapons are just silly. Most of the time the recoil either is absent totally, or is so large isn't not even funny. It's also funny how when you ADS, there is next to no recoil, while in third person mode, it's very large. The weapons aren't balanced either, as the M4 kills super fast, the snipers are trash (literally, they don't even work), and the pistols are just as good as any pistol in any game. Maps are alright. They got lazy at some points, when you go to a stair you just magically teleport to the top of them, you can get stuck in many parts.. it's just horribly put together.

Again, 28 minutes, not that long, but I just couldn't take it after using my M4 to blast my way to their spawn and camp them while my team just gathers gas cans.

JackLantern101 posted:

[0/10]

This game must have gotten a lot of padded reviews. This game is far below average in every aspect. A few features of the main menu are even completely broken at the moment. And even though they kindly acknowledge the problem in the forums, nothing has been done to fix it for months. I have nothing against the developers, in fact go buy it! Just so you can see what I mean. This game is bad AND broken. The community is not just small but completely hostile and cruel. Exploiting. Spawn-killing. I mean the people who support this game are either developers, developers friends and family, or kids who snagged this game for 90% off on Steam and cant afford a real game.

Psygnosis posted:

[10/10]

Ravaged is one of the most fun Multiplayer game played that "reboot" games like Battlefield 1942 / Battlefield 2 / Desert Combat. In this game the Skill of the players really matters with all the stuff around, like weapons, vehicles, helicopters, pre-fire, reflex, etc etc. - also you will need to cooperate to win a Match. If you go Lonewolf or the team goes completely random, you lose the match in a couple of Minutes. Yeah there are some bugs in the game, but the game got HIGH potentials for the Competitive zone and the Developers support the Community, not like the other SH that doesn't care about the Community ( " shut up and give us the money " style ). People who complain about this game and give 0 Score it's because they probably sucked at this game and/or they are noob. Reading people that said " omg this game sucks because you can't hit " - " omg this game sucks because i can't fly with the helicopter " - just ignore them, since the Heli is the HARDEST vehicle to use in Ravaged and need lot of time on It and the part for the Hits, well, get aim and you will get Kills. The Sniper Rifle have the Bullet Drop and with 2 Hits in the body kills, 1 in the head (headshot) one-shot, from distances you need to calibrate the shot and pre-fire it (ie: if u shoot the bullet doesn't hit in that instant moment like actual noob cod games). Don't forget that the 2Dawn Team release TOTALLY FREE DLC, with new weapons, vehicles, maps and game modes - i repeat : FREE and with the lot of Feedbacks they receive, the game will be more balanced and the bugs will be no more, with the help of the community. To end : You are a Noob (and it's not an offense, once we were it too) ? You don't have Skills ? You can't drive vehicles since they also need skills ? You don't like vehicle based games ? You can't Hit ? Well, this game IS NOT for you, so better jump in a moar easy game ppl =)

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
This is an IndieGoGo someone made because they got banned from the Something Awful Forums and they want to raise the money for another account.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/free-peta-fund/

:psyduck:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
What are they asking for $500 for? Doesn't a basic account with all the trimmings (platinum, archives, no-ads, and an avatar) only cost $40? Or are they just thinking ahead and trying to have money saved up for the next 12 times they're banned?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Well Manicured Man posted:

What are they asking for $500 for? Doesn't a basic account with all the trimmings (platinum, archives, no-ads, and an avatar) only cost $40? Or are they just thinking ahead and trying to have money saved up for the next 12 times they're banned?

I think $500 dollars is the minimum they will let you do. It's flexible funding though so though so who knows maybe he'll get it!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Well Manicured Man posted:

CapitalistPig posted:

This is an IndieGoGo someone made because they got banned from the Something Awful Forums and they want to raise the money for another account.

What the gently caress are you guys talking about? My account cost like $700 bucks. I'd like to know where this guy is getting SA accounts so cheap.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I went to check what the ban was for. Low effort posting in a mafia thread in TG

quote:

it's 8:12 a.m. on july 3 and i'm posting. post psot posty post psot psot post post i'm sorry, busb, fronz & stoutfish. if my replacement happens to replace out feel free to contact me and i'll step back in. except fronz because we talked about your game. :O

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Honestly I'm not sure if it's some kind of joke or something, I'm almost tempted to donate.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
If the money gate is intended to keep horrible idiots out, well, there's one case where it very clearly did its job.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The campaign has raised $5, making it technically halfway to completion.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

CapitalistPig posted:

Kyoon parachute account funding method detected.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

This just launched: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/928181610/as-worlds-collide-international-spy-thriller-featu?ref=recently_launched

Somebody wants $7000 to make a lovely spy thriller. The video's pretty great, if you enjoy watching probably-competent actors struggle through a fucktacularly bad script.

vvvvv

Nnep posted:

I get a porn vibe. Should just scrap the original plan and go with what feels right.

You got that too?

DStecks has a new favorite as of 06:21 on Jul 4, 2013

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
I get a porn vibe. Should just scrap the original plan and go with what feels right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

DStecks posted:

I decided to archive binge the Good Kickstarters thread in PYF, and found this posted on the first page: Ravaged. It's long since funded, but it's an absolutely pure slice of "Remember when games were good? Back before the casuals?" :smug:
I was a backer on that, since I enjoyed the last couple of Battlefield games (before 3, I guess). It's actually a pretty neat idea of a game, especially the focus being more heavily on vehicles. Nothing particularly groundbreaking, but it had potential. Except that they didn't even loving bother with any servers within an exceptionally long stone's throw of Asia for ages, making it totally unplayable for me, and then when some did open up nearby, the netcode still sucked poo poo. Plus the controls were crap, the resolution settings were weird and drat near impossible to actually get right for some reason, and basically no-one bothered playing it because eh, another online shooter, BFW.

Assuming this works, this should be basically all you ever need from Ravaged:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8jNkAAM9gU&t=100s

e: And in other news, the three main characters from "The Good Guys" have been revealed. Kind of. If you can actually make anything out apart from tits, muscles, black people.

sub supau has a new favorite as of 07:23 on Jul 4, 2013