Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

clonedrobojesus posted:

The Humble Store doesn't have autopatching.

Using the humble store for purchase and initial download doesn't prevent you from having autopatching. It prevents people from being unable to buy your product for days on end while you rush to find a way to cope with demand (probably by using the humble store).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
It's a shame. I want to give this dude money!

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

clonedrobojesus posted:

The Humble Store doesn't have autopatching.

While that's true, if you build a no-frills launcher (which Minecraft finally just released) you can push that out to people and then the launcher can handle updates. That won't help you with the rush of people hitting your servers through the launcher though, so you're still left figuring out that bandwidth dilemma. It does get you out of handling money, so in that regard I'd guess it's quite worth it for the 5%. Does the Humble Store just take anyone who wants to be in? I'd imagine there's a bit of dealing in there somewhere, still.

GaylordButts fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 3, 2013

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Humble store doesn't fix his server being able to cope with people creating accounts on his site, generating keys, dealing with support/billing requests.

I'd rather he take the time to get stuff working as well as possible upfront. As someone who deals with customer billing issues, I'd hate to see the nightmare that would be their email inbox if 15-20k people bought the day game one, and then couldn't download it.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Rawrbomb posted:

Humble store doesn't fix his server being able to cope with people creating accounts on his site, generating keys, dealing with support/billing requests.

Opening it for pre-orders a few days in advance sure would have.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
Its probably all just an elaborate hoax to build hype anyways.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

tooooooo bad posted:

Opening it for pre-orders a few days in advance sure would have.

Not really, until you've dealt with _insane_ server requirements, you're not really prepared to deal with it.

He could do all the prep work he could hope for, but it won't matter until you see real data. Real data is never the same or as predicable as what you'd throw at a server in a test environment.

This is speaking from experience in dealing with fairly high traffic websites and dealing with some of the _insane_ traffic that they happen to deal with a few times a year.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The delay is probably just caused by half of his game's code being stolen with his laptop, and he has no off-site backups.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

The delay is probably just caused by half of his game's code being stolen with his laptop, and he has no off-site backups.

Heh, is that even still in development?

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

The demo runs terribly on my laptop but I expected that.

I think Wollay is handling this well. I can see why he would have underestimated demand, I didn't notice a whole lot of hype for Cube World until he tried to release it. This thread for example only had 4 pages of posts from Sept 2012 til yesterday.
I'd rather he take the time to make sure everything is working and everyone who already gave him money is sorted out before it opens up again. It'd suck to see the store back up only to have it go down again because 10,000 people clicked the link before I did.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Widdiful posted:

So more people with low-quality and cheap computers can play the game with a good framerate.

While I get a triple digit frame rate in most all games on high settings, I can't run Minecraft without it slowing to a crawl even using 'optifine'. Simple graphical style does not mean a game runs well even on good computers. Granted Minecraft is on Java but if something looking like that runs like that on a beast rig I don't trust anyone.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

While I get a triple digit frame rate in most all games on high settings, I can't run Minecraft without it slowing to a crawl even using 'optifine'. Simple graphical style does not mean a game runs well even on good computers. Granted Minecraft is on Java but if something looking like that runs like that on a beast rig I don't trust anyone.

Minecraft should never be used as a comparison or benchmark for how well anything runs, obliquely or otherwise.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

quote:

Wolfram von Funck @wol_lay
We have finished the new launcher.
Everyone who has the game so far should download it from the 'My Games' section.

Might be available again in the next few hours? Here's hoping.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Mini demo is back up again: https://s3.amazonaws.com/picroma/demo/CubeDemo.zip

You'll need to wait after launching it for it to render the world. The longer you wait (up until a point) the more it generates. It just spins

quote:

It's basically just a starting screen with a rotating landscape in the background. If it runs smoothly and you can see the logo and the text below it, your PC is ready for Cube World.

On many PCs where the demo doesn't start, it helps to install the latest DirectX End-User Runtime: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Some computers have an Intel/on-board video card and a dedicated video card. To make sure your computer can run Cube World smoothly, right-click the Demo/Game and hover over "Run with graphics processor" if it is there to make sure you run it off a dedicated GPU if you have one.

If the Demo is not running, the full Cube World version won't run on your PC.
. •Especially laptops with integrated Intel graphics chips are not well supported.
•On some computers the text is not visible.
•On some computers there are issues with low resolutions.

If you have trouble with the demo, please wait with buying Cube World until we have found a solution or you have found another PC on which it's running.

We're currently fixing our download/update system. We don't have an ETA for it yet. Thanks for your understanding, we're doing our best.

A PC Game
May 7, 2007
What's the pricing structure for this? If we pay the $20 for the alpha will that be all the rest of the updates forever?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think my only complaint so far in videos is that view distance seems pretty low.

Re price; 15EUR, 20USD, gets you all updates.

E: People are just yelling "CUBE WORLD!!!" to all his updates on Twitter now. :rolleyes:

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

A PC Game posted:

What's the pricing structure for this? If we pay the $20 for the alpha will that be all the rest of the updates forever?

So far its pledged to be like Minecraft, pay now, get updates for the long haul.

quote:

@wol_lay: The new launcher is necesary to fix the updating system which overloaded the site yesterday.

quote:

@wol_lay: You can also install it to a different location and copy save files if you worry about your working installation.

Edit: #cubeworld on twitter has been getting crazier as the day goes on, people are getting upset, going crazy. Its weird to watch this. I'm glad I'm not in their shoes right now.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 4, 2013

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Rawrbomb posted:

Edit: #cubeworld on twitter has been getting crazier as the day goes on, people are getting upset, going crazy. Its weird to watch this. I'm glad I'm not in their shoes right now.

I would love to be in their shoes, crazed white spoiled suburban child fans included. Once they get the store stable they will easily make more then any of us on this thread do in a year within just a few hours.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Solvency posted:

I would love to be in their shoes, crazed white spoiled suburban child fans included. Once they get the store stable they will easily make more then any of us on this thread do in a year within just a few hours.

I wouldn't want to be in their shoes as far as support/sales services goes. Something like this is what nightmares are made of, and I've already lived though something like this once. The biggest benefit for them, is that they make the profit.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, so I guess one of the reasons its taking so long is because they had to make a new launcher for the game? I'm assuming one that points to a different host than what they were using before or something.

fewyn
Apr 6, 2009

Reason posted:

Wow, so I guess one of the reasons its taking so long is because they had to make a new launcher for the game? I'm assuming one that points to a different host than what they were using before or something.

Something to that effect, I really don't think he thought the game would require this many resources so he hosted the downloads off the website and now he's had to move it to a CDN of some kind so it doesn't bring the entire house down.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Rawrbomb posted:

I wouldn't want to be in their shoes as far as support/sales services goes. Something like this is what nightmares are made of, and I've already lived though something like this once. The biggest benefit for them, is that they make the profit.

I dealt with some of that back when I worked part time jobs in high school/college, but honestly I think the fact that their problems are caused by a frothing mass of angry entitled jerks who are chomping at the bit to turn the von Funcks into millionaires puts them beyond pity.

e: And by dealt with it I mean an old lady tried to hit me in the back of the head with a brick in the parking lot because the store I was working out sold out of hard drives on Black Friday.

Sumac fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 4, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I dealt with some of that back when I worked part time jobs in high school/college, but honestly I think the fact that their problems are caused by a frothing mass of angry entitled jerks who are chomping at the bit to turn the von Funcks into millionaires puts them beyond pity.

I'm going to spend all this downtime splicing together Sound of Music and Million Dollar Baby.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

Solvency posted:

Except that that few hours came after years of hard work at no pay with no guaranteed pay off...

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

SaucyLoggins posted:

Except that that few hours came after years of hard work at no pay with no guaranteed pay off...

Yeah, that is another thing you got to consider. Besides living in Germany and thus being awake at different times than what I would assume is most of us, I believe he has a full time job he's had to juggle for the years this things been in development. So between different time zones, working with Amazon, writing a new launcher to help server side crashes from people buying and downloading the game and probably his normal job, he's probably having a hell of a time right now. :P

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Link to Picroma in the OP is typo'd, by the way. This game looks cool and I can't wait to pay for it.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Considering he was making Cube World in the time off from his job, it's amazing that Wollay got a game of this scope done in, what, two years? It's bizarre he was so adamant about not letting us pay for alpha/beta access - on one hand I get that he wanted to provide everyone a quality product, but I think his humility about his own work kind of got the best of him if the shop's instantaneous crash is indicative of anything. He probably could've straight-up quit his job sometime last year if he wanted to, but I guess he didn't realize that there were tens of thousands of people waiting to throw their money at him. :confused:

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
He's done a very slow controlled burn, and by applying Cartman's "You can't come technique" to his game, he's made people want it more. It was worsened when a few bigger youtube/twitch people got copies to play. Like a lot of other big beta's for games, everyone wants in, its worse when you can only look on. To be given a glimmer of access yourself and then to have all that dashed stirs people to want it more.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Interesting note. It's already possible to play on a server with more than 3 other people. I'm on one with 5 others at the moment, and apparently it allows for up to 24.

Cool Blue Reason fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 4, 2013

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Ugghh.... Such a tease.... I have been patiently waiting since cw first popped up but with the taste of victory this is getting unbearable...

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Cool Blue Reason posted:

Interesting note. It's already possible to play on a server with more than 3 other people. I'm on one with 5 others at the moment, and apparently it allows for up to 24.

Diggin' the knife in deeper... :smith:

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Seems they left a debug command in or something. Everytime you press O to go to the options menu, you also get 10MP. If you hold O you'll essentially have infinite MP.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
Dammit I want to play this game too now. worst part is that I'm stuck at work and desperately want to go home and attempt to buy it...

I haven't watched many streams but is there a lot of loot? As someone who has never played zelda (yes I know, I'm awful) because it never really seemed appealing (sorry!), I'm curious as to how much more this game has to offer. If I can keep looting money to buy better stuff and being able to craft my own magical armour, weapons spells etc. I'm sold!

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Don't worry about trying to buy it the shop is still down (almost 2 days now). Although hopefully wollay will be waking up soon to continue working on the issue.

From what I have seen there is quite a bit of loot, armor and weapons seem to have a rare chance of dropping off any mob. The crafting looks really neat with all the blueprints you can find, and then on top of that you can customize each of your weapons and armor by adding special pixels to it to give it different attributes.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
That's amazing, the page was blocked at work but I checked it out on my mobile just now, I'm really excited about this game all of a sudden. I guess I'm no different than the other 30 million 'fans' that popped up over the last few days :)

I'm going to obsess over the housing part of this game when it comes out. Can't wait... and I hope we get to own more than one house.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If the system for building remains the same as it was shown months ago you could build a trilion lovely shacks on the side of a mountain if you've got the parts.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The building system depends entirely on them adding shittons of cards for you to find and collect to build and decorate your fancy estate with. I don't think there are that many just yet?

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

House building isn't in the alpha at all I believe. At least, it's greyed out on the website.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Death Himself posted:

The building system depends entirely on them adding shittons of cards for you to find and collect to build and decorate your fancy estate with. I don't think there are that many just yet?

No idea how many there ended up being but housing has been move to full release/post-release, hence if it remains the same comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
The store is open again, just successfully bought it

• Locked thread