Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

DrHub posted:

Hi! Im a long time lurker here, and just bought my first saltwater all in one tank.

Crapy cell shot after 4 week.

I need help identifying stuff on my live rock.

I really like your aquascaping in this tank. Very nice.

Second one is definitely a paly. The first one also looks to me like an encrusting monti - maybe a spongodes of some sort? It's always hard to tell in these pics. In any case, whatever it is, it's a pretty cool hitchhiker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrHub
Jun 21, 2012
Thank you, it was pretty hard finding the right rock and then cut them and glue them together without sacrificing stability.

I will take better picture next week with a proper camera.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

First one looks like porites since the polyps are smaller and closer together than montipora. Welcome to the budget-what's-a-budget saltwater club!

DrHub
Jun 21, 2012

Wandering Orange posted:

First one looks like porites since the polyps are smaller and closer together than montipora. Welcome to the budget-what's-a-budget saltwater club!

I checked other porites picture and its definitely that. Pretty awesome to see it like that now, when I bough the live rock it was almost all white. Life always find a way!

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I'm setting up the plumbing myself on this new tank and I've got a question about my durso.

I was told to start with 7" for the straight pipe but that seems to short. How much should I raise this thing? Basically where should the bottom of the 90 elbow be?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The water has to drop from the top of the overflow to the hole in the elbow. So unless you want the water making a ton of noise, yes I would raise it.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
I just found an aiptasia in my tank. I looked around very, very carefully. I lifted up rocks and checked everywhere and found a second one as well. They had to have come from reefcleaners.org as a refresher of snails is the only thing I've added in over 4 months. What would be the recommended course of action for two small aiptasias?

DrHub
Jun 21, 2012

U.S. Barryl posted:

I just found an aiptasia in my tank. I looked around very, very carefully. I lifted up rocks and checked everywhere and found a second one as well. They had to have come from reefcleaners.org as a refresher of snails is the only thing I've added in over 4 months. What would be the recommended course of action for two small aiptasias?

A pepermint shrimp should do the job.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
Yeah. I guess I have room for another shrimp. Now to find a legit peppermint shrimp without paying crazy shipping fees...

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

U.S. Barryl posted:

Yeah. I guess I have room for another shrimp. Now to find a legit peppermint shrimp without paying crazy shipping fees...

I've never seen a peppermint eat an aiptasia in a tank. YMMV, but I'd just cover them with kalk paste or aiptasia x them. Two aiptasia isn't worth introducing another animal to the tank if you have to think about it.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

visuvius posted:

I'm setting up the plumbing myself on this new tank and I've got a question about my durso.

I was told to start with 7" for the straight pipe but that seems to short. How much should I raise this thing? Basically where should the bottom of the 90 elbow be?

I would shoot for middle of the Tee being 1/4" to 1/2" below the overflow for the Durso.

How many holes/bulkheads are available, in total? Any chance you can dedicate one for a drain and one for emergency drain per the Herbie method? Guaranteed silent drain system along with redundancy/safety.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Wandering Orange posted:

I would shoot for middle of the Tee being 1/4" to 1/2" below the overflow for the Durso.

How many holes/bulkheads are available, in total? Any chance you can dedicate one for a drain and one for emergency drain per the Herbie method? Guaranteed silent drain system along with redundancy/safety.

Yeah I had wanted a Herbie setup but the tank was are drilled with a single 1.5" drain in the corner.

I suppose since I'm not gluing the straight pipe into the bulkhead ill just play with it.

Does it matter in which side I place the skimmer and return pump in this sump?

visuvius fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 28, 2013

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Skimmer in with filter sock as it needs a steady water level; return pump in other section. In regards to locating the return pump, it's cheaper to add hose/pipe on a drain line than a pumped return line since gravity is free.

I wonder if you could run a 3/4" pipe inside a 1.5" pipe for emergency + valved drain system... Too late for math, I'll run numbers tomorrow.

Edit:
So I guess this could actually work. I'm on my phone so no mspaint diagrams but imagine a section of 3/4" schedule 40 PVC inside 1.5" sch40 PVC running from top of overflow through bulkhead and into sump. The inner pipe is the emergency drain and is taller than the main drain, the outer pipe. There's some extra plumbing underneath to separate the two streams but that's easy. A spacer at top keeps everything centered and could act as a strainer.

3/4" inside 1.5" would work but is not safe - the emergency drain can't keep up. It's roughly 400 GPH versus 800 GPH, emergency versus main drain.

1" inside 1.5" would work and is safe: 600 GPH versus 450 GPH, emerg vs main.

And now I actually am done with the maths.

Wandering Orange fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 28, 2013

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Haha thanks for the reply man. That's a good idea that I hadn't considered. I think I might see how loud the durso is first and if its not working out ill try the pipe within a pipe.

So as long as the skimmer is wherever the drain is and there is a constant water level, it doesn't matter whether I use the larger or smaller side of the sump?

visuvius fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 28, 2013

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

U.S. Barryl posted:

I recommend this..

:clint:

On a serious note. My tank is in need of a skimmer upgrade, thinking about the Reef Octopus 4. Any other suggestions for a good skimmer with ~100 gal capacity?

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

visuvius posted:

Haha thanks for the reply man. That's a good idea that I hadn't considered. I think I might see how loud the durso is first and if its not working out ill try the pipe within a pipe.

So as long as the skimmer is wherever the drain is and there is a constant water level, it doesn't matter whether I use the larger or smaller side of the sump?

Your system will be able to handle more evaporation if you use the larger section for the return pump. Other than that it is just a matter of what fits where and is easily removed for maintenance.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Henchman 21 posted:

I recommend this..

:clint:

On a serious note. My tank is in need of a skimmer upgrade, thinking about the Reef Octopus 4. Any other suggestions for a good skimmer with ~100 gal capacity?

I have an NAC 3.5, I imagine the NAC6 would do just as good a job in larger quantities.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

SaNChEzZ posted:

I have an NAC 3.5, I imagine the NAC6 would do just as good a job in larger quantities.

That's a really nice skimmer but I ended up getting the RO, because I could get it locally, and I got $20 off on it.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Hello, I have too much spare time and money. I understand you guys can help.

I have read too many guides to trust what the fish store guys are selling, so I wanted to ask what is the best (I understand this translates to expensive in saltwater terms) way to get to a 80-100 gallon reef tank midterm goal (1-2 years?). I expect to have to DIY the final LED light setup, but that's all I am planning on right now. I can DIY other stuff, but I have to work up enough giveadamn first before I get out the saws & glue.

I expect I need to build a timeline, but I don't know what I'm looking at. The only targets I have right now are to have inverts, tangs and tomato clowns. I wanted to avoid coral for now, until I have the fish happy. I don't want to have to rebuy hardware though.

Initially, my reefer friend has recommended just trawling craigslist for something with hardware & stand in the $5/gal range. Petco is also doing their $1/gal sale. I was looking in the 20-30 gallon range. This would get my startup tank, which eventually would transition to a quarantine, frag tank, or sump.

Any recommendations on hardware for this path? I don't really know the good brands yet.

Edit: holy cow tangs need a huge tank. 100 is borderline.

Vaporware fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 2, 2013

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

Vaporware posted:

I have read too many guides to trust what the fish store guys are selling, so I wanted to ask what is the best (I understand this translates to expensive in saltwater terms) way to get to a 80-100 gallon reef tank midterm goal (1-2 years?). I expect to have to DIY the final LED light setup, but that's all I am planning on right now. I can DIY other stuff, but I have to work up enough giveadamn first before I get out the saws & glue.

I expect I need to build a timeline, but I don't know what I'm looking at. The only targets I have right now are to have inverts, tangs and tomato clowns. I wanted to avoid coral for now, until I have the fish happy. I don't want to have to rebuy hardware though.

Initially, my reefer friend has recommended just trawling craigslist for something with hardware & stand in the $5/gal range. Petco is also doing their $1/gal sale. I was looking in the 20-30 gallon range. This would get my startup tank, which eventually would transition to a quarantine, frag tank, or sump.

Any recommendations on hardware for this path? I don't really know the good brands yet.

First off, a 30 gallon aquarium is too small to responsibly keep a tang in. They do best in larger tanks with lots of open space to swim around in. Exactly how much open space depends on which species of tang you get as some of them grow to be quite large. But for a yellow tang, which are inexpensive and commonly stocked, most people recommend no smaller than a 55 gallon aquarium. Of course, people can and do put them in smaller aquariums but it is generally frowned upon.

Secondly, as far as equipment is concerned you can go elaborate or simple; it's really a personal decision and probably illuminates your personality or some such nonsense. If you love complexity and expensive toys, you'll probably want to go with the "Berlin method", basically a light, a sump, with a protein skimmer and a reactor or two at minimum. If you love the idea that a simple elegant solution is the best; then you'll most likely gyrate towards the "Natural method" or some variant. In which case, you'll need a light and a pile of live rock and live sand and maybe someplace (like an Aquaclear 400) to put some activated carbon and a phosphate remover like iron oxide or aluminum oxide.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Vaporware posted:

Edit: holy cow tangs need a huge tank. 100 is borderline.
I usually point people to this excellent saltwater aquarium run-through, if you haven't seen it already: http://www.melevsreef.com/tanks.html

Figure out which fish (and/or coral) you want to keep in this first tank and how much room they'll need; I would avoid tangs altogether until you have a large tank and decent experience with the hobby. If you have the space, a 40 breeder is the perfect beginner's tank and is part of the Petco $1/gal sale. Building the stand yourself is one of the most common DIY projects and will give you much more room to work with for equipment & supplies.

zhuangcg described the simple versus elaborate equipment setup well. In the long term, an 'elaborate' setup with a sump will be easier to maintain due to the extra space but it does require additional planning for plumbing.

Have patience and ask lots of questions!

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Cooking rocks rocks rocks...

Mainly just running them for a few days to make sure they aren't going to leach any ammonia into the water before I add them to the display tank. I said I wasn't going to dick around with my scape anymore for a while but I lied.

Also super psyched for my Happy Coral delivery tomorrow. :woop:

Also also we really need an updated OP

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 3, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The freshwater guys started a new thread, we could probably stand a new one too.

Also thirding or fourthing a 40gal breeder.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Saltwater Aquariums: empty wallets and small animals glued to rocks

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

New thread time?

If you guys wanna colab on an OP I'll contribute :D

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
As an aside, I'd never thought gluing little animals to rocks would be so expensive.

Here's a more macabre take on the title:

Gluing little animals to the bones of other, less fortunate, little animals.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 3, 2013

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

The new freshwater OP is excellent; we could use the same basic format although there might be trouble keeping it short.

Tank
- Display
- Sump & Equipment
Fish
- Reef safe
- FOWLR only
Coral
- ?Break it up by type or difficulty?
Inverts
Algae & Macros
Retailers & Forums
Troubleshooting & FAQ

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Just got the ok from khelmar to start up a new thread, if you guys want to contribute shoot me an email with some reliable info and I'll start compiling it all and hopefully have it ready to go hopefully by the weekend.

Kickstand85@gmail.com

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 3, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Just tossing thoughts out there for now, but I think at this point there's probably more reliable/accepted/useful information on a lot of saltwater things floating out there than there is for freshwater, though granted it's been a couple years since I've looked around for fresh. I think this is more to do with the way more science-lab-y feel of the saltwater hobby so people are more likely to have more well-documented experimentation (though, groupthink and snakeoil, etc.).

What we might do better with is build the op around a concise collection of best practices advice and good links, such as to the overbuilt-reliable 2x4 tankstand diagram, the reefcentral saltmix chemistry thread, the nano-reef list of fish for a nano/pico, the reefcleaners list of nuisance algae, etc., along with some commentary on those resources.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 3, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
On the topic of stands, I've seen a lot of really built up with lots of 2x4s, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ffely-t4iw takes another approach though. use of the dado joints is interesting and saves a lot of space vs adding more 2x4s for support, but I'm not sure about the strength

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/132956-the-ultimate-id-thread-before-you-post-whats-this-look-here/

That's my vote for OP material as far as ID's goes. We could also contribute pictures of our tanks and setups as I think we're all sort of different in a way as far as plumbing, lighting and stuff goes.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
When I realized the FW thread needed a reboot, I picked a few people from the thread who obviously knew their poo poo and made a Google document thingy. It turned out pretty drat well, so I think you guys are on the right track. Just make sure you have enough good people so it turns out well, even if someone leaves the project like I did because my life went to poo poo right after I started the project. I had 4 people working on it, SW is obviously more complicated, so you'll probably want a few more.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

api call girl posted:

What we might do better with is build the op around a concise collection of best practices advice and good links, such as to the overbuilt-reliable 2x4 tankstand diagram, the reefcentral saltmix chemistry thread, the nano-reef list of fish for a nano/pico, the reefcleaners list of nuisance algae, etc., along with some commentary on those resources.

Yeah this would definitely be better than reinventing the wheel. Lets get a collection of good links and whatnot together and go from there? Also I think we should have one or two of our best shots each in the OP just to showcase the kind of stuff thats out there and is possible.

Pretty much all of Randy Holmes-Farley's articles should be linked. I'm trying to find them but I think the site might be down -- I believe a bunch of his stuff is on advancedaquarist.com.

Also, BRS's video collection is actually pretty good and well done. They go through and explain a lot of pretty in depth stuff.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
I agree that is probably the best way to approach it.

Subject change, what the gently caress is this?

It was growing between two rocks and I have no clue what it is.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
It's a sponge. Around here we have this really nice-looking yellow stuff that runs up and down in rock veins, looks pretty as hell.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Henchman 21 posted:

Sponge. I've got a bunch of the same. Pretty hardy from what I can tell, and seems to do best in places with very regular, moderate flow. I've got a bunch of it growing on the heater and pipe in my overflow.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Henchman 21 posted:

Looks like the sponges that grow in the dark areas of my sump. I call them snot sponges.

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

Maybe I'm too soft or sensitive here.
I was reading about cyanobacteria and as it turns out: cyanobacteria is often considered to be the evolutionary link between bacteria and algae, cyanobacteria are one of the oldest forms of life on earth and date back at least 3.5 billion years. These organisms produce oxygen as a byproduct of photosynthesis, and scientists believe that if it weren't for this microscopic organism, there would be no blue skies on Earth.
So basically I have to kill an ancient life form that essentially created the world as we know now it. Greeeat! SW is a tough gig, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
And you're killing them by the billion.

• Locked thread