Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Spotted at the beach today.

edit: Also saw a Delorean last night. I see an assload of awesome cars around here tbh - saw a late-50's Corvette driving around today, saw some kind of 50's sedan yesterday... It's actually probably not related to the fact that Laguna Seca is about ten minutes away since nobody would drive any of these cars there. There are a few M3's floating around though.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I played the gently caress out of this game in the arcade when I was in Korea.

It sure as hell wasn't this loving cool, however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I-a5onDg7s

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I always adored that they actually got accurate engine sounds for each car, even differentiating between the protagonist's N/A 86 and a turbocharged one that shows up later on.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Carteret posted:

I played the gently caress out of this game in the arcade when I was in Korea.

It sure as hell wasn't this loving cool, however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I-a5onDg7s

We have a couple hidden around Vegas. Used to work at a Namco arcade in ~art school~ and it was probably the most fun arcade game there, until some rear end in a top hat broke the wheel servos intentionally to get mad quick oversteer.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Das Volk posted:

I love the hilarious lyrics to the songs in that series, and yes it deserves recognition for being technically correct.

Occasionally technically correct. Some of the stuff they do in it is well beyond any sort of logic, eg the "gutter hover" trick.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I think the worst example of dramatic movie shifting is Transporter 3 where Jadon Statham keeps slamming his automatic Audi in to gear.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
No, the worst is in Days of Thunder when Tom Cruise shifts at Daytona, and anyone who knows even the slightest about NASCAR knows that you only shift at Daytona going into the pits or coming out.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Darko posted:

I hate this in movies so much. People "win" races by going up one gear in practically any car film with a race. The "worst" example of this was probably Fast and the Furious 5, when they did the Charger drag race, all had identical cars, and somehow, getting a ridiculous jump at the start meant nothing because he apparently shifted up five gears after his launch too quickly or something.*

* although, from an aesthetic standpoint, a character dramatically upshifting does work pretty well

It's funnier when they do this in automatic cars though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa5BDiCgBAw

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

This is a proper shift:

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Deeters posted:

This is a proper shift:

It's called archeology, gramps, someone's gotta pay the bills.

in_absentia
Feb 6, 2008

LYNCHINGS ARE WHAT GIVE THE SOUTH ITS CHARM!
:3:
(not a bigot)

VikingSkull posted:

No, the worst is in Days of Thunder when Tom Cruise shifts at Daytona, and anyone who knows even the slightest about NASCAR knows that you only shift at Daytona going into the pits or coming out.

"I'm gonna drop the hammer!!"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Deeters posted:

This is a proper shift:

:hfive:

EVERYBODY DRIFTS HERE, ALL THE TIME! IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO DRIVE STRAIGHT!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Deeters posted:

This is a proper shift:

Ah, so that's how you get a 7th gen corolla to drift

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Fucknag posted:

I always adored that they actually got accurate engine sounds for each car, even differentiating between the protagonist's N/A 86 and a turbocharged one that shows up later on.

Except the loving WRX. They did not get accurate engine sounds for it. I was very disappointed. :negative:

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Fucknag posted:

:hfive:

EVERYBODY DRIFTS HERE, ALL THE TIME! IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO DRIVE STRAIGHT!

Watched Overdrift years ago, but when our group got an AE86 the owner talked me into watching Initial D and I simply can't do it without thinking about "throwing it all away for the drift."

Having 2 RHDs in the group is really, really cool.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

This thing is pretty - any idea on year?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I don't think Jack Daniels are aged at all. Are they?

dandaman
Dec 30, 2005

Saw this at work today. Thing was flawless.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Fayez Butts posted:

You have to age whiskey to get that amber color. Otherwise it'd be white lightning or moonshine.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Friar Zucchini posted:

edit: Also saw a Delorean last night.

Someone around here likes to drive their Delorean around on the weekends; I occasionally see it when I'm out taking photos. A few months ago it was broken down by the side of the road. :haw:

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

BlackMK4 posted:

This thing is pretty - any idea on year?

It's a 67-72, I would guess 70-71 based on the grill but I might be wrong about that.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

atomicthumbs posted:

Someone around here likes to drive their Delorean around on the weekends; I occasionally see it when I'm out taking photos. A few months ago it was broken down by the side of the road. :haw:

I'm sorry, where's the crying Lady Liberty and/or bald eagle?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Valt posted:

It's a 67-72, I would guess 70-71 based on the grill but I might be wrong about that.

Assuming the grille hasn't been mixed-and-matched, it's a '71 or '72. The fact that the bumper is correct for the grille and that it's a five-lug truck says it's really a '71/'72, or someone paying attention when year-swapping.

Also, I really like that wheel/tire/"stance" package. Give that thing at least enough paint to cover the primer and it'd look perfect.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 3, 2013

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
I took a friend visiting from out of state to Triple X Rootbeer in Issaquah earlier today and ran across these beauties;

Top one is a (edit, thanks Q_res!) '49 Ford Coupe, Ford Galaxie 500 and then a Ford Fairlane. They all sounded so good, especially the Galaxie :allears:

Tanz-Kommandant fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 3, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

Assuming the grille hasn't been mixed-and-matched, it's a '71 or '72. The fact that the bumper is correct for the grille and that it's a five-lug truck says it's really a '71/'72, or someone paying attention when year-swapping.

Also, I really like that wheel/tire/"stance" package. Give that thing at least enough paint to cover the primer and it'd look perfect.

Valt posted:

Thank you guys :) I was never an older truck fan at all, but drat that thing is seriously good looking. Wow.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Thank you guys :) I was never an older truck fan at all, but drat that thing is seriously good looking. Wow.

They make great project trucks too. Parts are absurdly cheap and plentiful.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

IOwnCalculus posted:

This picture is making me really want an old Chevy in my life.

Real bad.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

Fayez Butts posted:

I have unloaded trucks of spent jack barrels. First they are cut in half to not be used again, then they weep whiskey out of the charcoal fired barrels in transit. Oh for a drop of that extra woody liquid gold :sigh:

You've seen them in gardens and such.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fayez Butts posted:

It's aged at least 4 years, but they don't print it on the bottle for some reason.

Tastes like rear end compared to real whisky, anyway.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Top one is a Hudson (Hornet?), Ford Galaxie 500 and then a Ford Fairlane. They all sounded so good, especially the Galaxie :allears:
Top one is a '49 Ford

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

burtonos posted:

I have unloaded trucks of spent jack barrels. First they are cut in half to not be used again, then they weep whiskey out of the charcoal fired barrels in transit. Oh for a drop of that extra woody liquid gold :sigh:

You've seen them in gardens and such.

Actually, one of the distillers is actually selling the woody stuff now.

http://www.jimbeam.com/devils-cut

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I was browsing around the old auto trader when I came across this gem.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201305216871312

(apologies for the small pics, check the ad for big)

It might qualify for the other thread if I weren't sure it was a 100% pure 80s factory Porsche interior.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

:barf: Pasha

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

in_absentia posted:

"I'm gonna drop the hammer!!"

No you're not!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Wow, a young and thin John C. Reilly

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

KozmoNaut posted:

It's aged at least 4 years, but they don't print it on the bottle for some reason.

Tastes like rear end compared to real whisky, anyway.

Jack Daniels is aged 7 years. That's why it's called number 7.

Awesome car stuff: I still love the Mazda Furai concept

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

You Am I posted:

I'd forgotten he and Merle from Walking Dead were in that movie.

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!
I love looking at old car advertisements, mainly for lower-end stuff. It's always cool to see cars in their prime that you now really only see as beat-up daily-drivers.

I picked up some old German magazines at a thrift store. Scanned the nice car pictures:

And something extra I found online:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

You Am I posted:

Speaking of, here's the car Kurt Busch is driving at Daytona in the Nationwide race this Friday night