Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
I agree that $60 is a weirdly good price for the AF-S version. Test the gently caress out of it in person if you do intend to buy it.

MF 50 1.8s usually go for that much.

Renting a 85 1.4G this weekend. Trip report coming next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Miko posted:

I agree that $60 is a weirdly good price for the AF-S version. Test the gently caress out of it in person if you do intend to buy it.

MF 50 1.8s usually go for that much.

Renting a 85 1.4G this weekend. Trip report coming next week.

The ad says D and that's a good price for that, maybe the seller is an idiot. There has never been a 1.8D AF-S. Well in the sense that G implies D I guess, but the dude never said G.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
My 50mm 1.8G was 220+ NIB. Anything less than that would be a great price.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I picked up that lens, it was a 50mm 1.8D as advertised, came in the box basically looking brand new. The guy was upgrading to a full frame body.

Walked down the street after I bought it and discovered they closed down the streets for a busking festival, was pretty cool. Cross posting this one from the street photography thread to show the new lens.

Toolkit by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

No crazy bokeh pics (that I'm happy with) for now but I can't get over the difference in image quality with this new glass compared to the kit lenses I have. Best $60 I ever spent!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

So I picked up that lens, it was a 50mm 1.8D as advertised, came in the box basically looking brand new. The guy was upgrading to a full frame body.

That's a really strange reason to be selling off a 50mm lens, because it's a much better lens (general purpose) on a fullframe sensor than on a crop.
I love my 50/1.8D on an autofocus film body; great image quality and practical focal length.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Walked down the street after I bought it and discovered they closed down the streets for a busking festival, was pretty cool. Cross posting this one from the street photography thread to show the new lens.

Toolkit by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

No crazy bokeh pics (that I'm happy with) for now but I can't get over the difference in image quality with this new glass compared to the kit lenses I have. Best $60 I ever spent!

Jokes on him. FX loves that loving lens.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

He probably just got a 50/1.4 anyways when he upgraded. Duh.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

He probably just got a 50/1.4 anyways when he upgraded. Duh.

Love that .096345% more photons.

not real science

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Musket posted:

Love that .096345% more photons.

not real science

Can you quantify the bokeh, bro???

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

Can you quantify the bokeh, bro???

One is creamy, the other is glow-y :snoop:

50mm 1.2 bokey is the same as 200mm 2.8 bokey. Go Science!

Musket fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 30, 2013

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
So eBay has a d7000 body for $600 and I kinda want to impulse buy it.

Someone talk me out of this.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wario In Real Life posted:

So eBay has a d7000 body for $600 and I kinda want to impulse buy it.

Someone talk me out of this.

You can get bodies from KEH for 650 in 'ex' condition so I wouldn't gamble on eBay. Or buy my D200 so I can upgrade to a d 7k.

Miko
May 20, 2001

What current body do you have?

Alternately, DO IT.

edit: the 85mm f1.4G is mind-bendingly good.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Just buy from KEH goddammit.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Just buy from KEH goddammit.
I didn't know what "Nikon Refurbished" meant in terms of quality okay. :ohdear:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Wario In Real Life posted:

I didn't know what "Nikon Refurbished" meant in terms of quality okay. :ohdear:

It means it's perfectly fine just like anything else you're gonna find on KEH.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

And they're really good about accepting returns (and paying for return shipping) if the item you get has issues.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I'm looking to pick up an entry-level DSLR for home and work. I'd be shooting fieldwork and equipment in remote places/rough terrain and weather (no one bothers shooting the boring places). A lot of my work is site recon from the air. The "good" shots get blown up to poster size. The home stuff would be dog pics and a hiking carry.

I'm perfectly happy to go entry-level cheap, as I haven't used an SLR in 12 years. However my wife has two (old) Nikon-mount zoom lenses. They're buried in a storage locker and I couldn't say anything about the shape they're in or what they are, really.

I'd like to cap this at $800. I'd really appreciate some suggestions.

-used/refurb D90 with maybe the fixed 35mm that gets so much love here, hope I can use her old lenses?
-used/refurb D3100 with kit lenses and and just know I'd have to buy AF-S? Buy a better lens with the savings?
-something else?

I debated putting this in the "first DSLR" thread and ask about the Pentax workhorses, until wife remembered her old lenses. I won't be buying for a month or so, just feeling around now.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

rebounded posted:

I'm looking to pick up an entry-level DSLR for home and work. I'd be shooting fieldwork and equipment in remote places/rough terrain and weather (no one bothers shooting the boring places). A lot of my work is site recon from the air. The "good" shots get blown up to poster size. The home stuff would be dog pics and a hiking carry.

I'm perfectly happy to go entry-level cheap, as I haven't used an SLR in 12 years. However my wife has two (old) Nikon-mount zoom lenses. They're buried in a storage locker and I couldn't say anything about the shape they're in or what they are, really.

I'd like to cap this at $800. I'd really appreciate some suggestions.

-used/refurb D90 with maybe the fixed 35mm that gets so much love here, hope I can use her old lenses?
-used/refurb D3100 with kit lenses and and just know I'd have to buy AF-S? Buy a better lens with the savings?
-something else?

I debated putting this in the "first DSLR" thread and ask about the Pentax workhorses, until wife remembered her old lenses. I won't be buying for a month or so, just feeling around now.

Check whether the lenses are D-type or older. If they are, you will need a body with screw drive AF. A used D7k is always a good idea, as it will support basically anything.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

krooj posted:

Check whether the lenses are D-type or older. If they are, you will need a body with screw drive AF. A used D7k is always a good idea, as it will support basically anything.

Looking at amazon I see d90 for $630 and d7k for $900. At those prices it's a little tough but I'd say the d7k is $270 better than the d90. D7k has better AF, the sensor is way way ahead in terms of ISO performance, I believe the AF motor is faster/better which will matter if those lenses you have are D lenses, supports tons of old lenses, 100% viewfinder coverage, weather sealing (but not weather proof, I hiked with mine and got caught in a downpour a few weeks ago, took pictures anyway but kept it mostly under my coat and it was fine). It really depends on your budget but the d7k is a much better camera than the d90. The 35 1.8G is a bad rear end lens for the money, you should get it no matter what you get.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

You can get a used d7000 for under 600 at KEH http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-DN029991196280?r=FE

Miko
May 20, 2001

Yeah, the D7k is worth whatever you're gonna be paying more than the D90 right now.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Yeah but a D90 with 35/1.8 is practically the same price as a D7k. D90 is a solid camera, don't discount it (disclaimer: i own one).

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

If you plan on shooting any video with it, go for the D7000. The D90 is a great stills camera, but everything about the video mode is awful.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Spend the extra $$$$$ on the D7k and 35mm 1.8 as that set up will allow you to grow into it and stay with it for a fairly long time. If you cannot add $$$$$ to your budget, get a cheaper body and get the 35mm 1.8 anyways. Good glass will outlast a digital body.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just picked up a d7000 today, coming from a d200 I miss having the bigger/heavier form factor but am absolutely floored by the quality of the images it puts out. I paid $620 Canadian for a mint condition body, 3800 shutter actuations, with two 16gb 45mb/s SD cards, and all the charging stuff. I feel like that's a pretty good deal. Next up is a 35mm prime and maybe a 70-300 tamron VC.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I've had my D3200 for about 2 months, and after browsing this thread through I saw a couple great shout-outs for the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6. I have the 18-35mm kit now and it's perfect for family/general shots and the other purposes I initially bought the camera for, but I really am looking for a good complement to it when I'm out and want to zoom in effectively. (read: at all)

Does anyone have a trip report? It's perfectly priced, I just want to know if it's worth it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If the aperture limitations of your kit don't bother you, the Tamron is very good for the money.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I want to explore photography more as a hobby and want to get rid of my 5 year old P&S and get a DSLR. I have been browsing craigslist and came upon this deal:

quote:

Nikon D60 camera, 18-55 Nikon DX VR lens, 55-200 Nikon DX VR lens, manual, lens hoods, battery and charger, camera strap and case. Camera and lens are in excellent condition.
$400 with both lens or $320 with 18-55 only

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/pho/3854809622.html

Any thoughts? I'd like to stay below $600 for everything and this deal seems like it gives me more options for getting a nicer lens.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

I want to explore photography more as a hobby and want to get rid of my 5 year old P&S and get a DSLR. I have been browsing craigslist and came upon this deal:

Any thoughts? I'd like to stay below $600 for everything and this deal seems like it gives me more options for getting a nicer lens.

Thats a pretty meh deal. This is much better http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Camera-Outfits/1/sku-DN01999126744X?r=FE

The D60 is really long in the tooth.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

VarrosAnon posted:

I've had my D3200 for about 2 months, and after browsing this thread through I saw a couple great shout-outs for the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6. I have the 18-35mm kit now and it's perfect for family/general shots and the other purposes I initially bought the camera for, but I really am looking for a good complement to it when I'm out and want to zoom in effectively. (read: at all)

Does anyone have a trip report? It's perfectly priced, I just want to know if it's worth it.

Unless you're willing to spend about a grand it's the best lens in that category. I loved my 70-300 VC.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Yeah it's the best telephoto for the money that doesn't step into the f2.8 territory.

Don't get the 55-200 even if its cheaper.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Miko posted:

Yeah it's the best telephoto for the money that doesn't step into the f2.8 territory.

Don't get the 55-200 even if its cheaper.

The 55-200 is perfectly fine. It's just slow as balls and cheaply made. I wouldn't pay more than a bill for it though. That being said I loving love my Tamron 70-300.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Some questions about the nikon image optimization firmware. Do you guys use A-DL? What about long-exposure noise reduction? Are these features comparable to the equivalent lightroom features or are they significantly worse?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Some questions about the nikon image optimization firmware. Do you guys use A-DL? What about long-exposure noise reduction? Are these features comparable to the equivalent lightroom features or are they significantly worse?

Lightroom ignores all Picture Control fucntions including ADL. I usually avoided using LNR as well because i could do better in Lightroom.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

If your not in a hurry you could, eventually, get a D7000 for that kind of money

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau

VelociBacon posted:

Long-exposure noise reduction takes what's called a dark frame to capture all the inherent thermal noise in the sensor at its current temperature and exposure length, and subtracts that from the image taken. It's not something Lightroom can replace, really. It's too bad Nikon hasn't figured out that it's perfectly possible to make a good reference dark frame and scale it to the temperature and exposure length (Canon has a temperature sensor in lots of their bodies, I think, another reason they're popular with astrophotographers.)

LENR only kicks in at 1/1 and slower, so you have to decide if the increase in signal-to-noise ratio is worth waiting around twice as long between frames.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
The only tool that will 100% read NEF files with Nikon Picture Control settings like ADL/LNR and NPC Color settings is *barf* Capture NX.

They are saved into the jpg data. Shoot jpg (dont, nikon sucks at jpg).

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
So any ideas for a, uh, stuck lens? My 55-300 VR II seems to be well attached to my D5200. I can push the lens release fine but it only rotates maybe a sixteenth inch. I can take photos with it fine, it just doesn't come off.

It was a bit warm when I put the lens on but not so much that I would think heat expansion would screw things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Eegah posted:

So any ideas for a, uh, stuck lens? My 55-300 VR II seems to be well attached to my D5200. I can push the lens release fine but it only rotates maybe a sixteenth inch. I can take photos with it fine, it just doesn't come off.

It was a bit warm when I put the lens on but not so much that I would think heat expansion would screw things up.

Your release button is messed up. Take it to a shop.