Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

si
Apr 26, 2004

Yakattak posted:

I've had mine wired up like Slow is Fast for over a year and they've been fine.

Fair enough - my experience is with an 09 Legacy, which I believe the horn fuse was 7.5A - and the supertones popped it almost immediately. Which wasn't all that odd, a pair of supertones draws ~12A. Possible the horn circuit is on a heavier fuse in the Impreza (though I think my RS is also a 7.5A). It's definitely higher than the wiring is intended for though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You can cheat on the wire rating and get away with it since the horn usually has a low duty cycle.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
How much of a pain is it to swap the shift bushings on a 08+ wrx? I am looking at the kartboy short shift combo or just the shifter. It appears the rear bushing is easy in relation to the one at the other end of the linkage. Can it be done without a lift or is that a pain on the rear end. Anything else to look at doing while I am there if I do the bushings? Any thoughts on other shifters?

Jamal, I don't have PM, but if we can mutually benefit you can reach me at pezzinoj on the Google mail service.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Aflicted posted:

How much of a pain is it to swap the shift bushings on a 08+ wrx? I am looking at the kartboy short shift combo or just the shifter. It appears the rear bushing is easy in relation to the one at the other end of the linkage. Can it be done without a lift or is that a pain on the rear end. Anything else to look at doing while I am there if I do the bushings? Any thoughts on other shifters?

Jamal, I don't have PM, but if we can mutually benefit you can reach me at pezzinoj on the Google mail service.

If it's anything like the 02, it's like three bolts and the whole linkage comes out and you can do the whole job on the bench. otherwise you're hating yourself as you try to gt a snap ring on the shifter as you contort around the driveshaft.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

si posted:

Fair enough - my experience is with an 09 Legacy, which I believe the horn fuse was 7.5A - and the supertones popped it almost immediately. Which wasn't all that odd, a pair of supertones draws ~12A. Possible the horn circuit is on a heavier fuse in the Impreza (though I think my RS is also a 7.5A). It's definitely higher than the wiring is intended for though.

Yeah, I mean I've just considered getting this: http://www.subimods.com/subimods-hella-horn-harness-kit.html they're a local company for me and I want to support them but $40 for something I could do myself...

si
Apr 26, 2004

Yakattak posted:

Yeah, I mean I've just considered getting this: http://www.subimods.com/subimods-hella-horn-harness-kit.html they're a local company for me and I want to support them but $40 for something I could do myself...

Oh, I would not recommend the Subimods hella harness.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/subimods-hella-harness-sanity-check-170362.html?t=170362&highlight=subimods+hella

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Could be unrelated but in the install guide it says they now include a 5 pin relay. I think that was directly related to that post if you look at Subimods direct replies to the thread.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

I picked up my new 2013 SWP wagon 8 days ago after putting in an order 30 days prior to that.

Of course nothing good in Houston can last based on the number of paper plated cars I've seen with huge dents and other body damage. I guess my time finally came yesterday in heavy traffic when a big rig had a sidewall failure and let 3/4ths of a tire into the front of my car. With cars all around me and no where to go all I could do was hit the brakes and pray I wasn't about to get rear ended. By the time I hit the tire it had flipped on to its side so luckily it got sucked under the car instead of coming into the windshield.

Seems like the crack is pretty minor but it also looks like I may have damaged the plastic under engine tray. *sigh*

White is my favorite color for the wagon.

lovely music aside, I feel like this guy did a pretty good job with black (and some red) accents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i_w945dS8w

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Aflicted posted:

Not a pain at all. With basic tools and a lift/jacks, it'll take you maybe 30min to drop the entire assembly, remove/replace, lube and reassemble. I hope you have a good pair of circlip pliers, that'll make or break you during the shift lever swap. Tom's (mr kartboy himself) work is quality, don't fret.

Also, while you're down there, it wouldn't hurt to look at replacing the tranny mount, and tranny crossmember bushings.

Edit: Linux Nazi, what part of socal are you in? I'm pretty sure I saw you at S3. :ese:
2nd edit: herp derp, didn't realize that wasn't your video. :downs:

McSpatula fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 30, 2013

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
Eastern SoCal, around the Phoenix area :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Where would the evap purge solenoid be located on an '03 Impreza? It keeps throwing a recurring p0457 whenever the tank gets below "completely full." No problems filling up so I doubt it's the vent. I found what I think is the evap purge valve but can't see where the big hose that feeds it runs to. All the internet photo guides seem to be for WRXes. I'm guessing the only place left for it would be under/behind the alt.

Is there a way to force the car to run the test so I can listen for a vacuum leak or something? FreeSSM?

edit: The FSM says that the purge solenoid is located at the underside of the intake manifold. Makes sense. I have no idea how to diagnose it except to throw a new part at it.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 2, 2013

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
What would it take to swap this into a 2004 WRX?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-05-SUBAR...5552084&vxp=mtr

I assume I would need an ECU of some type. Would it run on a USDM ECU long enough to pass smog? (NH Smog is really easy to pass as long as ECU shows ready on 2 items) Would I need an aftermarket ECU maybe?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
There's no way an EJ20G is a 99-05 engine. They went to the EJ20K in 96ish and then rolled out the EJ207 in 2001ish, which is what you actually want (will run on its own JDM ECU and you only have to add a handful - I think four - extra wires for AVCS on an '04 WRX). For a Subaru tractor motor, it revs to the loving moon, Alice.

The electrical part of the swap is easy, and so is the mechanical swap - with some fuckery with hose clearance for the power steering pulley, throttle cable clearance for the AC pulley, and air conditioning hardlines around the TMIC area, based on people I know who've done an EJ207 swap. EJ207s are still cable throttle, etc. You will probably want to have the ECU retuned for our poo poo North American gas.

I don't have an answer for you on obd2 monitors but I assume it should be able to pass that test.

Here's an EJ207 swap my friend Jon did into his own '04 WRX (with wiring advice that NASIOC gets wrong, quelle surprise) http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=32374.0

quote:

Inspected the belt and cam gears. They appear to be in good condition. Cam gears have additional giggly bits on top of them for the AVCS. Or at least that's what you're meant to believe. Under there is actually a tiny japanese wizard that creates torque in exchange for blurry videos of octopuses. Sick.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 2, 2013

si
Apr 26, 2004
Fixin dese:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You must have the ECU retuned for our poo poo North American gas.

I have an answer for you on obd2 monitors: You will fail them almost everywhere. Most states emissions gear won't talk to JDM OBD2 ECUs (any year).

Somewhere over on NASIOC there's a list of places that people have hit gear that successfully communicates with the japanese OBD2 ECUs, but it's a very, very small list.

On the bright side, you can run a V7 or V8 EJ207 with your US ECU without much issue. You'll need to get it tuned to run the motor well enough for emissions, then you can just swap it out (plug n play) for the tuned japanese ECU which will run the motor properly (AVCS and the like).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You will probably want to have the ECU retuned for our poo poo North American gas.

Not sure if the EJ207 requires something different but my EJ20K (with what I'm assuming is a fairly aggressive ecu with a stock 15psi) actually runs great on Chevron 94 octane, 0% ethanol here in Canada. The particular RON of this gas is actually above the 100 RON recommended by FHI for these engines. I'm not sure what options there are in the states (I've heard there are less, and what options you have almost always have up to 10% ethanol) but here in Canada anyways it's certainly doable.

Daslog, IMO for the money you're better off grabbing a motor from a newer USDM STi. It'll be easier to tune, have more potential, replacement parts are easy to get, etc. I'm already running into slight issues even trying to find out which spark plugs my EJ20K came with and I shudder to think about how much of a pain it might be to find a replacement alternator etc.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

there is literally no reason to run a JDM motor besides a 207. The 207 is plug and play + 4 wires. Everything else is old, questionable, and finicky to wire. Not worth your time unless you paid like 100 bucks for it or something.

Either get a 100 dollar 2.2 bottom end like we keep telling you, or there is a 1500 dollar wrx for sale in NH, or find a 2.0 short block and call it a day.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Slow is Fast posted:

there is literally no reason to run a JDM motor besides a 207. The 207 is plug and play + 4 wires. Everything else is old, questionable, and finicky to wire. Not worth your time unless you paid like 100 bucks for it or something.

Either get a 100 dollar 2.2 bottom end like we keep telling you, or there is a 1500 dollar wrx for sale in NH, or find a 2.0 short block and call it a day.

Fair enough. I saw the cheap price and was interested.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
And Ive done a 207 swap as well.

Its roughly $5k to get it all done right.

Not a cheap option, but im at 320 at the wheels completely stock except for a tune on 91 octane.

Just find a random junkyard 205 to throw at it, sell it and move on.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
$350 for the block. New pistons and go?

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/pts/3897942052.html

or this?

http://nh.craigslist.org/pts/3889425671.html

Maybe I'm insane?

daslog fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 2, 2013

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Can't you just put a new engine on your wife's $20/week payment plan? :homebrew:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Sockington posted:

Can't you just put a new engine on your wife's $20/week payment plan? :homebrew:

I promised her a new kitchen before anymore car stuff, so I have to do this behind her back...

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

What was wrong with the one you had again? Is it totally missing? I forget. I bet those are both from cars with spun bearings.

Can you get a pull out of a crash? At least you know it was running.

on a different note, I need a bunch of parts to get my 02 wrx into saleable condition.
My headlights are crap, and Id like to just buy new ones. They don't list any on rockauto, where do people get new ones?
e: there they are, you just select impreza instead of wrx. My question still stands I guess, they are $130 each on rockauto.

Same with the foglights, the oem ones are all broken and look bad, Which hella's do people replace the existing ones with?

blindjoe fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 2, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
There might be an eBay seller offering Depo lights for bugeyes. I've put Depos into a few cars and they've always been much cheaper than dealer and usually pretty good quality.

Just don't get the ricey projector ones.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

There might be an eBay seller offering Depo lights for bugeyes. I've put Depos into a few cars and they've always been much cheaper than dealer and usually pretty good quality.

Just don't get the ricey projector ones.

Thats perfect. $140 for both, though they are the black inside ones.

si
Apr 26, 2004

blindjoe posted:

Thats perfect. $140 for both, though they are the black inside ones.

Just list blacked out as a feature. It's desirable anyhow.

You can get Hella 500FFs and brackets to convert them, but you'll need like $50 worth of brackets and $70 worth of lights, + wiring.

Edit: Here's direct links
http://www.rallylights.com/vehicle-type/imports/subaru/hl29012-bracket-to-mount-hella-500-in-subaru-impreza-wrx-99-03-pair.html
http://www.rallylights.com/all/lights/driving-fog/500ff-free-form-auxiliary-lamp-kit.html

Note: It's not direct swap, you have to do some bumper drilling to fit these.

si fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 2, 2013

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

This is the kartboy bracket to mount 500s in the bugeye fog location.

There is no reason you can't DIY a knock off. Hella 500s fit in the stock fog location no problem.

si
Apr 26, 2004

Slow is Fast posted:

This is the kartboy bracket to mount 500s in the bugeye fog location.

There is no reason you can't DIY a knock off. Hella 500s fit in the stock fog location no problem.

They fit, but you need to drill out the bumper behind the main mounting bolt for the fog. There's a metal plate insert into the bumper that it screws into. The main bolt of the Hella is larger and in the center, and there's no opening for it in the stock plate. It's just a matter of drilling a like 1.25" hole behind the main bolt to allow for clearance.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
This is helpful, but may be moot anyways. The stockers from the depo guys are $130.

If I can find any hellas with a rear mount instead of top mount, ill go with those, but for looking nice for sale I bet the stockers will be fine.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

daslog posted:

I promised her a new kitchen before anymore car stuff, so I have to do this behind her back...

What if you found an rear end-packed H6 Legacy? :clint:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Did about 10 miles on a smooth gravel mountain road tonight. Sooo much fun. I tend to forget because I hardly every drive my car and it's not really comfortable around town. Nice to remind myself why I do this stuff.

MasterOfDemons
Mar 15, 2003

Custom phone cases, clocks, lighters and much more. Message me for details!
Just want to shoot a big thanks to OP, I placed my part order with him last Sunday, received them Monday(UPS was delayed due to the storms in the area) and got some time to have them installed yesterday. Normally I'd do myself but between lack of space and the loss of tools from the hurricane, I figured it was easier to go to a local shop that specializes in Subaru.

I ordered the Invidia Q300 Catback, Kartboy Short Throwshifter with bushings, Cobb Red/Black Shift knob and the StopTech Stage 2 Brake Kit(Rotors, Pads and Stainless Brake lines).

Exhaust has a great sound to it, not loud and obnoxious but still deep. I'll be placing an order for a down pipe within the next month or so as well.

The short throw is incredible, I can't believe the difference from the stock, it's nowhere near as sloppy during a shift.

And the brakes are excellent, not sure if that's because it was about that time for a change or if it's because of the new parts, could be both.

I'll definitely be doing further business with the OP in upcoming months.

Here's some pictures of before and after.
Before:

After:

Bonus: My almost 11 month old who loves Daddys car.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

blindjoe posted:

And Ive done a 207 swap as well.

Its roughly $5k to get it all done right.

Not a cheap option, but im at 320 at the wheels completely stock except for a tune on 91 octane.

Just find a random junkyard 205 to throw at it, sell it and move on.

Does this mean you regret putting in the EJ207?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

daslog posted:

Does this mean you regret putting in the EJ207?

No, this is how the car should have come from the factory. It is super smooth, and has just enough power.
The AVCS gives it the low end that is necessary when puttering around town.
That said, the car is going up for sale, but that's because I am old and cheap more than any fault of the car.
Im going to get an old man SUV or minivan or something with a chumpcar for fun.

You were looking for the cheapest option it seemed. The JDM option is much more expensive.
Especially when you add in all the new parts you should put on while you are there.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

blindjoe posted:

No, this is how the car should have come from the factory. It is super smooth, and has just enough power.
The AVCS gives it the low end that is necessary when puttering around town.
That said, the car is going up for sale, but that's because I am old and cheap more than any fault of the car.
Im going to get an old man SUV or minivan or something with a chumpcar for fun.

You were looking for the cheapest option it seemed. The JDM option is much more expensive.
Especially when you add in all the new parts you should put on while you are there.

That makes sense. I too am old, but I have a Forester to handle the old man tasks. Where did you buy your engine from?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

daslog posted:

That makes sense. I too am old, but I have a Forester to handle the old man tasks. Where did you buy your engine from?

I got it from JDM Nagoya on nasioc. I think they are all pretty much the same, I just got it from him as there was a local guy who also just picked one up and his was good.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How much oil should piston slap really be burning? I had to add a quart after 3k KMs. I have forged pistons in an ej20 which basically means it's as bad as it's going to get from my understanding. I can't see any oil leaks so I'm a bit confused. I've never noticed the car to smell like it's burning oil and certainly theres never been any white smoke out the back.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Piston slap is just the sound of the skirts hitting the walls and shouldn't really cause that much more oil consumption. That is more to do with how well the rings seal, which can still be good with a fair amount of p/w clearance.

There are basically only a few places oil can go:
-past the rings
-through the turbo seals
-out the pcv system
-through a leaking gasket/seal like valve seals, cam seals, rear main, oil pan etc.

So with a bad ring seal you have two problems. 1- oil is coming past the rings and into the cylinder and getting burned, and 2- combustion gasses are going past the rings and causing excessive crankcase pressure. This pushes oil through the pcv system and into the intake where it then gets burned. It also inhibits the turbo's oil drain so you will have oil coming out of there too. This is also what happens with a cracked ringland, which is fairly common on a 2.5 turbo.

That's kind of a lot of consumption but I wouldn't call it excessive. First thing would be to determine where the oil is going. A leakdown test is the best thing to do, but it has to be done right, which I don't see very often. This will tell you exactly what is not sealing in the combustion chamber and by how much. Healthy is 4-6% going past the rings and nothing coming through the valves. You can also pull the downpipe and check to see if the turbine wheel is wet with oil and if there is excessive shaft play.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Can anyone recommend a car cover that will actually stay on in the wind and doesn't cost more than $100?

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.
So my wife came home today and said "I saw smoke and smelled something weird from the engine." I checked it out and saw this:

Can anybody see anything more than a torn boot there? What should I look for to make sure the actual part is ok if I just replace the boot? It's an auto 08 Outback 2.5i.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

The Jabberwocky posted:

So my wife came home today and said "I saw smoke and smelled something weird from the engine." I checked it out and saw this:

Can anybody see anything more than a torn boot there? What should I look for to make sure the actual part is ok if I just replace the boot? It's an auto 08 Outback 2.5i.

That's pretty classic torn boot.