Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Cream_Filling posted:

I thought that they were based on the supposition, based on some statistics I'm sure, that people very commonly get hit in the ankles and fall on top of the hood. So then they mandated a minimum distance between the top of the engine and the top of the hood, so when people get knocked onto the hood they dont hit the valve covers or whatever with their heads and break them (the heads). But then that makes the front end so tall that you're going to either fling them into something else or else run them over instead of the thing you've designed around, which is people falling on top of the hood.

I read "fling them into something" and was reminded of that old video with the train :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's just the Euro NCAP pedestrian test.

http://www.euroncap.com/Content-Web-Page/ed4ad09d-1d63-4b20-a2e3-39192518cf50/pedestrian-protection.aspx

They designed the test, carmakers have to meet it. The general idea is hit low, spread out over a large area, and make sure the head deflects off the hood rather than hit something hard.

So, the end result is a larger overhang so it can crush, monolithic grills so that the impact is spread out over the whole leg, and high hoodlines so that you don't smack the engine with your head.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Don't they have an issue with the turbos? Or am I thinking of the 335D?

I think some have wastegate issues, but every one I've heard of locally has been covered by BMW, even with extensive mods.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Some good stuff in here:
http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-plans-to-take-over-the-world-by-being-clever-646936695
But "Volkswagen also offers a lifetime timing belt with the newest engines made out of a material they wouldn't disclose to us."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Some good stuff in here:
http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-plans-to-take-over-the-world-by-being-clever-646936695
But "Volkswagen also offers a lifetime timing belt with the newest engines made out of a material they wouldn't disclose to us."

That material is kevlar, the fiat/chrysler multi-air engines use the same. I still wouldn't want a timing belt on an interference engine and sure as gently caress wouldn't run it unti the "152k mile fit, or lifetime volkswagen", regardless of what the chaps in marketing drew up.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 3, 2013

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If that material isn't a chain, then they must be shortening the 'lifetime' of their products. Why timing chains aren't more common is beyond me, especially on interference engines. Engines with timing chains are probably more expensive to produce, but they're just shifting the costs to maintenance/repairs. Timing belt jobs ain't cheap, and it especially ain't cheap when your valves meet your pistons.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

bull3964 posted:

It's just the Euro NCAP pedestrian test.

http://www.euroncap.com/Content-Web-Page/ed4ad09d-1d63-4b20-a2e3-39192518cf50/pedestrian-protection.aspx

They designed the test, carmakers have to meet it. The general idea is hit low, spread out over a large area, and make sure the head deflects off the hood rather than hit something hard.

So, the end result is a larger overhang so it can crush, monolithic grills so that the impact is spread out over the whole leg, and high hoodlines so that you don't smack the engine with your head.

Don't forget lovely lines of sight, increasing the chance of smacking into, say, a pedestrian

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Guinness posted:

If that material isn't a chain, then they must be shortening the 'lifetime' of their products. Why timing chains aren't more common is beyond me (yes I know they're more expensive).

gently caress chains, too.

Everything needs gears.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

gently caress chains, too.

Everything needs gears.

But wouldn't that be loud as hell?

Also, what is that from?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Cream_Filling posted:

But wouldn't that be loud as hell?

Also, what is that from?

It's out of an Enzo.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Guinness posted:

If that material isn't a chain, then they must be shortening the 'lifetime' of their products. Why timing chains aren't more common is beyond me, especially on interference engines. Engines with timing chains are probably more expensive to produce, but they're just shifting the costs to maintenance/repairs. Timing belt jobs ain't cheap, and it especially ain't cheap when your valves meet your pistons.

Chains aren't entirely maintenance free, the tensioners need service eventually. Belts also have lower parasitic losses as I understand it, and manufacturers are looking for efficiency wherever they can get it. I understand the aversion to belts on intereference engines. On a Miata if the belt breaks you're just waiting for a tow.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sinestro posted:

It's out of an Enzo.

Technically it's out of a Maserati MC12. Either way that assembly is inches away from the drivers ear.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Weinertron posted:

Chains aren't entirely maintenance free, the tensioners need service eventually. Belts also have lower parasitic losses as I understand it, and manufacturers are looking for efficiency wherever they can get it. I understand the aversion to belts on intereference engines. On a Miata if the belt breaks you're just waiting for a tow.

Very true, but most chains & tensioners will last to 200k+ miles (or more) without any real issues. Obviously chains can catastrophically fail as well, but it's really rare. Usually it'll become a noisy mess long before it lets go, unlike a timing belt.

My NA Miata was the only car I've owned with a timing belt, and knowing that it was non-interference offered a lot of peace of mind. It also helped knowing that a timing belt on a BP isn't a horrendous job (compared to, say, an S4).

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Guinness posted:

Very true, but most chains & tensioners will last to 200k+ miles (or more) without any real issues. Obviously chains can catastrophically fail as well, but it's really rare. Usually it'll become a noisy mess long before it lets go, unlike a timing belt.

My NA Miata was the only car I've owned with a timing belt, and knowing that it was non-interference offered a lot of peace of mind. It also helped knowing that a timing belt on a BP isn't a horrendous job (compared to, say, an S4).

Yeah a timing chain on the verge of failing has a very distinct "marbles in a can" sound that's extremely obvious to anyone within 20ft. This could last for thousands of miles.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The interval on the belt on my V50 is 150k miles. When intervals are that far apart, the cost of replacement is a really small amount of the total cost of maintenance.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Sinestro posted:

It's out of an Enzo.

The Enzo actually uses a chain.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Timing belts are cheaper, lighter, quieter and have less parasitic drag.

Timing belts for all, just engineer the car so that the t-belt can be changed in a reasonable amount of time.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

In theory timing chains are great but it seems impossible for a lot of automakers to make a decent chain tensioner ever.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

Technically it's out of a Maserati MC12. Either way that assembly is inches away from the drivers ear.

Didn't that old GM 4 cylinder they put in the Cavalier/S-10 have timing gears? There must still be thousands of those that are still not in the junkyard.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Timing belts scare me - they're like a ticking time bomb in nearly every engine that has one. Little wonder that now we know how to make quiet(er) chains and tensioners that it seems like everyone is going back to chain-based timing.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 4, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

Didn't that old GM 4 cylinder they put in the Cavalier/S-10 have timing gears? There must still be thousands of those that are still not in the junkyard.

The pushrod 2200 was timing chain.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
MINI's official statement about the photos from the previous page:

MINI posted:

Aggressive and relentless papping is something British celebrities have had to learn to live with. Members of the Royal Family, as well as actors, footballers and top models are all familiar with the sensation of being caught in uncompromising situations, and now MINI is the latest victim. Absolutely unaware and without make-up, the youngest member of our family was caught by sensationalist photographers in a highly private moment. The young one was yellow and completely defenceless. We understand the worldwide interest in our family but it is not the British way to send such unfavourable pictures around the globe.

But like a good stiff-upper-lipped Brit, MINI shall not complain, although we would like to officially state that we are not flattered. The published pictures do not reflect our good looks any way. As every celebrity knows, those extra long telephoto lenses have the devastating ability to negatively distort all surfaces, lines and angles. Therefore our advice: next time come closer to the object of desire. If that doesn’t work, don’t worry, shortly you will have the opportunity to experience the MINI up close and personal, and to take pictures from all angles.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2013/07/03/mini-uk-responds-to-f56-spy-photos/

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The pushrod 2200 was timing chain.

I was thinking of the Iron Duke.

quote:

Over the years, the Tech IV engine has proved to be a reliable, if noisy, workhorse for owners when not pushed to its limits. All 1978-1990 Iron Duke L-4's are outfitted with a micarta camshaft gear that meshes directly with a steel gear on the crankshaft (no timing chain). 1991-92 VIN R and U engines received a timing chain. The timing gear has a tendency to crumble a tooth anytime after 80,000 miles. The cam gear simply shears a tooth at startup and the engine won't start; because of the non-interference design of the engine, no further damage occurs. When the cam gear loses a tooth, the camshaft AND distributor stop rotating during engine cranking. Replacing the gear requires heating the new gear in hot oil and quickly installing it for a press fit on the cam stub.

It was unfair Japanese trade policy, CAFE regulations, and relentlessly biased liberal media coverage that eventually did GM in. :allears:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
This sure slipped under my radar. The "GT" trim of the new Mazda6 gains additional fuel economy over the already good base model with mother loving capacitors. :science:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1085353_2014-mazda6-tech-package-earns-40-mpg-highway

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Maybe it's just because of my previous choice of vehicles, but I actually like a reasonably high hood so that I can actually see where the fucker ends. Give me a Wranger/muscle-car style hood any day over poo poo you can't see any part of through the windshield. If that's good for pedestrians as well, bonus!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
That depends on a lot of different design aspects. My Toyota Space Van was trivial to park, I knew exactly where the front bumper stopped because it was 6 inches past my toes. But that car's low wedge shape was apparently designed to go through pedestrians like a combine through a corn field, at least if the corn stalks insisted in strolling into traffic since going to the corner would overburden their corny urbanite lifestyle. My dove-bar Camry, even more so, despite outstanding sight lines. But something like an older Eclipse have a perfect pedestrian-deflecting shape despite a windshield approximately 4 inches tall and a turbo hump completely obscuring view to one corner.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

TheGoatTrick posted:

More like "We know it looks bad; but please, wait until we can get our professional photography team to take amazing super high resolution photographs of such inane and trivial things as the pile count of the carpet or the detail of the bulb used in the right rear brake-light. Thanks again, and please buy our new car."

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Mazda 3 Sedan

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/03/mazda3-sedan-revealed-by-top-gear-russia/

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Devyl posted:

More like "We know it looks bad; but please, wait until we can get our professional photography team to take amazing super high resolution photographs of such inane and trivial things as the pile count of the carpet or the detail of the bulb used in the right rear brake-light. Thanks again, and please buy our new car."
They have a point, though. Look at the picture from the previous page. The car looks like it has a serious underbite and the front looks crooked, like the passenger side is longer.

Compare that to the recent pictures from gmotors. The front isn't as flat from side to side and the top and bottom elements line up better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drat that looks good.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

TheGoatTrick posted:

Apparently nobody in marketing has any idea how lenses work. Telephoto lenses are typically much more flattering. Wide angles are what distorts perspective.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

The back end doesn't look like crap this time. Nice work Mazda!

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Tacier posted:

The back end doesn't look like crap this time. Nice work Mazda!
You looked at the current Mazda 3, and the part you didn't like was the back?

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Apparently nobody in marketing has any idea how lenses work. Telephoto lenses are typically much more flattering. Wide angles are what distorts perspective.
Huh? http://cameras.about.com/od/technologies/a/What-Is-Pincushion-Distortion.htm

It looks like they tried to apply some correction too. The front fender trim is one piece but it doesn't line up right.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

TheGoatTrick posted:

They have a point, though. Look at the picture from the previous page. The car looks like it has a serious underbite and the front looks crooked, like the passenger side is longer.

Compare that to the recent pictures from gmotors. The front isn't as flat from side to side and the top and bottom elements line up better.

Oh please don't look like crap. :ohdear: I love my little MINI and quite possibly want another when the british finally over takes the german and causes some horrible problems.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Looks alright, but hate the kick on the waistline on the back door. Going to be a dark place in that back seat. Hate to be checking over my shoulder for blind spots in that car.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Snowdens Secret posted:

That depends on a lot of different design aspects. My Toyota Space Van was trivial to park, I knew exactly where the front bumper stopped because it was 6 inches past my toes. But that car's low wedge shape was apparently designed to go through pedestrians like a combine through a corn field, at least if the corn stalks insisted in strolling into traffic since going to the corner would overburden their corny urbanite lifestyle. My dove-bar Camry, even more so, despite outstanding sight lines. But something like an older Eclipse have a perfect pedestrian-deflecting shape despite a windshield approximately 4 inches tall and a turbo hump completely obscuring view to one corner.

I'd think that your toyota would have a decent chance of more or less meeting euro pedestrian standards because the whole hood is just sheet metal and the engine is further back inside the car (assuming it's mid-engine).

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You Am I posted:

Looks alright, but hate the kick on the waistline on the back door. Going to be a dark place in that back seat. Hate to be checking over my shoulder for blind spots in that car.

Adjust your mirrors right and you don't need to look over your shoulder.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

kimbo305 posted:

Some good stuff in here:

This is right up there with the sealed unit "service free" "lifetime oil" transmissions that love to grenade at about 80k miles.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I like how everyone is banging on timing belts touting "lifetime" service options when the EXACT reason why a ton of manufacturers moved to timing chains was so that they could delete that service item from the list and have an extra marketing point. The fact of the matter is, if you have a high mileage interference engine, you should have the timing system serviced regardless of belt or chain. If you don't, you're gambling.

It's 2013 people. Metal isn't the be all end all material in strength anymore. I have no trouble believing that a belt could be designed as durable as a chain at this point.

When I tore apart my 2002 WRX at 115k miles to replace the timing belt, the belt was the best thing that came out of the car. It looked pristine. What needed replacing were the pulleys that sounded like roller skate wheels and the tensioner that started leaking oil. If one of those seizes, it's not going to matter whether or not you have a chain or belt driving it, your engine is going boom regardless.

Until we move to electronically actuated valves, the timing system on a car is never going to be truly maintenance free if you keep a car much beyond 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Half the chain-driven engines out there seem to have eventual issues with tensioners or guides anyways.