Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
So what about following up at applying for jobs at the hospital? You realize patient transport is just like pushing carts, only there are people on them, right?

On the other hand I really don't want to read headlines about 5 people being killed in a gurney pileup in the hallway by Radiology :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Benny, How much do you weigh?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Thora posted:

So what about following up at applying for jobs at the hospital? You realize patient transport is just like pushing carts, only there are people on them, right?

On the other hand I really don't want to read headlines about 5 people being killed in a gurney pileup in the hallway by Radiology :ohdear:
Actually, I have an interview on Friday with the California Pizza Kitchen I applied to a while back. When I talked to them last the manager told me to call back during the summer. I called today and he set an interview up on the busiest day for a pizza place to be open. It's a start to a second job.

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating
Benny, why do you blantely ignore the questions we as you. Your not gonna get out of this pickle unless you 100% honest with us...

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Jizznastics posted:

Benny, why do you blantely ignore the questions we as you. Your not gonna get out of this pickle unless you 100% honest with us...
Okay, okay. I'm overweight. There. I'm sensitive about it.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Think of many of the best jobs, Benny. Have you ever seen a fat doing them?? I think we've touched on some real progress here. I think you know what you need to do next for your job search.

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating
Benny stop right there, first off that's your problem. Fat is not a physical thing, its a mental conditions. There are plenty of fat dudes who get laid so much because they don't act fat. First off, you will need to get you confidence up. Start by looking in the mirror and saying out lowed all the things you think are wrong with your physical appearance. One you do this, you will realize that all those things you just said are only minor little things that no one barely notices anyway. Its all about how you carry yourself benny. Don't think that because your overweight it means you are not a good looking chap. I bet you are if you dress good and carry yourself with the "I'm the coolest dude" attitude. There are little things you can do to get you confidence up as well. You can do things like give dirt looks to random people or flip off cars, then you feel good because you know that they are to scared to confront you.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

Actually, I have an interview on Friday with the California Pizza Kitchen

Ok awesome* but what about following up with the hospital? Hospital jobs pay better, have vertical AND horizontal movement (read: you can get into a clerical position super fast if you are flexible and show a modicum of smarts), and you get fairly regular raises including cost of living.

You are really good at dodging questions and answering what wasn't asked. Too bad those aren't marketable skills.

*not really

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
Actually a food service job might be pretty good for Benny, so long as he works in the kitchen.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Grin and Tonic posted:

Actually a food service job might be pretty good for Benny, so long as he works in the kitchen.

If I recall correctly, he was already fired from a pizza place for doing things too slowly.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Morby posted:

If I recall correctly, he was already fired from a pizza place for doing things too slowly.

Warehouse was too slow. The food place was for whacking the owner's wife in the head with a metal tray and telling the head chef that his way of doing stuff was dangerous, and Bennys was better.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
Second Image National does not appear to be a scam firm. They do records management.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

Masonity posted:

Warehouse was too slow. The food place was for whacking the owner's wife in the head with a metal tray and telling the head chef that his way of doing stuff was dangerous, and Bennys was better.

Oh lord, I completely forgot about that. Yeah, nevermind, Benny.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Benny, do you ride your bike to and from the Target job?

A little exercise each day will help your self-esteem and your health immensely.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Masonity posted:

Thanks! His wacky misadventures are hard to keep up with.

Benny, how far along are you in your 90 day probationary period?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Uncle Salty posted:

Benny, do you ride your bike to and from the Target job?

A little exercise each day will help your self-esteem and your health immensely.

I'm not sure which of my scenarios is funnier, a scam job turning Benny down, or a genuine job (as it seems was the case) with an interviewer desperately trying to kickstart a conversation as opposed to question answer question answer and being met with a stone wall of silence as Benny took the attempts to be rhetorical questions.

Obdicut posted:

Second Image National does not appear to be a scam firm. They do records management.

Do you want to see him dead? I don't think the trolley pusher who causes pileups and scratches the bosses car should be allowed on a bike.

But seriously Benny...

If someone here routinely gives interviews, would you do a skype interview with them? It's pretty drat clear your resume is not the problem, it's the rest of you that's not up to scratch.

And I mean a full interview, in what you'd wear, doing what you'd do, no "if it was real" excuses...

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Morby posted:

I worked at a Round Table on campus but when the campus closed for summer, the place did too. I know my way around a pizza kitchen.

Morby posted:

Thanks! His wacky misadventures are hard to keep up with.

Benny, how far along are you in your 90 day probationary period?
I think it should be ending soon. I'll ask.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Obdicut posted:

Yes, that whole story now seems beyond weird knowing that this is a legit firm providing legit if overpriced services. I don't know if the guy interviewing Benny was just a flake, or if Benny misread him.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yes, that whole story now seems beyond weird knowing that this is a legit firm providing legit if overpriced services. I don't know if the guy interviewing Benny was just a flake, or if Benny misread him.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Benny probably misread him, but it's absolutely true that there are simply people who do not know how to interview well.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Palisader posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Benny probably misread him, but it's absolutely true that there are simply people who do not know how to interview well.

Thora posted:

You are really good at dodging questions and answering what wasn't asked. Too bad those aren't marketable skills.

:ms: as to why he gets interviews, but not offers.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

I know my way around a pizza kitchen.
Glad all that college education was worth it.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

Dr. Lariat posted:

Glad all that college education was worth it.

I wonder if people said this sort of thing about "highschool education" back before everyone in the middle class became expected to go to college.

"What a waste of time to finish high school, I could have been making pizza full time for years!"

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Safe and Secure! posted:

I wonder if people said this sort of thing about "highschool education" back before everyone in the middle class became expected to go to college.

"What a waste of time to finish high school, I could have been making pizza full time for years!"

Possibly, but on the other hand, how many thousands of dollars in unbankruptable debt did you get into for your GED back then? :v:

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Masonity posted:

Oh yes, the dish rag controversy. That went on for, what, four pages? Man, this thread has had some good times.

Benny, I'm still rooting for you! Good luck with your second job application!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Thora posted:

They were when he was interning with the local governor's campaign or whatever the gently caress it was.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
How much do you weigh Benny?

As a follow up, what do you do in a typical non-work day.

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating
This is important, because you might not actually be over weight by any real measure, you just might have suck at being confident or what ever.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon

Benny the Snake posted:

I worked at a Round Table on campus but when the campus closed for summer, the place did too. I know my way around a pizza kitchen.

Well, 90 day probation period minus the amount of days you have worked. Not tough to figure out.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

Welp today was orientation. I've got my own nametag and everything. Even my Target discount card. There's a lot of small benefits to working with Target, but most of all I'm very happy to have this job. Next week I begin parking lot and cashier training.

May 3rd.

So add 90 days, and that's August 1st.

You have 4 weeks to go. Yet

Benny the Snake posted:

And

Benny the Snake posted:

Tried to screw a co worker, and work knows
Get pissy about working late shifts or Sundays or whatever
Call in sick with a hangover as an excuse to get out of work
About to go in and demand a set shift pattern to get a second job

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

Actually, I have an interview on Friday with the California Pizza Kitchen I applied to a while back. When I talked to them last the manager told me to call back during the summer. I called today and he set an interview up on the busiest day for a pizza place to be open. It's a start to a second job.

Benny, I know it's been pointed out several times, but if you want to boost your earnings, you should really try out some freelance writing work for Textbroker or similar. It won't interfere with your work at Target, and it'll be be a good way to keep yourself in the habit of writing and get some practice. Many of the assignments available are brief and require minimal research, so you can crank a few out when you've got time and be done with it. The rates aren't terrible either, considering the amount of effort required - you can usually find 400 word jobs for $4 and finish in less than 30 minutes. At that rate, you could match what you're earning now, without the difficulty of coordinating two different part-time work schedules. I suspect that this kind of unstructured, flexible work would be a challenge for you, but it'd be a good way to practice some self-discipline, and at least you can't be fired for loving up. Commit to spending a certain number of hours per day on the site, finding and completing jobs.

Like I said before, I think job hunting right now is putting the cart before the horse, especially when it comes to openings that are only lateral moves (e.g. California Pizza Kitchen vs. Target). You won't be better off financially or intellectually for making pizza instead of pushing carts. One thing at a time. Focus on getting through your probationary period at Target and building a good reputation for yourself internally. Look at internal opportunities to pick up more hours or train for new roles. Don't go searching for other hourly, low-skill jobs when you haven't mastered the one that you have yet.

And please don't waste your income on resume services. You've gotten plenty of constructive advice for free from this thread, and if you're getting as many interviews as you say, there is NOTHING wrong with your resume. If it's not as many interviews as you'd like, that probably has much more to do with the economy, the marketability of your degree, your lack of professional work experience, or some other thing related to content that can't be fixed by rewriting. You're doing OK as far as interview invitations go, all things considered. You are loving up IN the interview somehow, and that's what you should spend your time investigating. A counselor might be able to work on this with you. A friend or relative who has experience interviewing job candidates could be an immense help to you if they're willing to do some mock interviews with you and provide feedback.

EDIT: And if there's no one around who can help with this, I'm more than happy to get on Skype with you for a couple of hours and run through this. Not as good as in-person interview practice, but better than nothing. I did a lot of work recruiting and interviewing new interns and analysts at my old banking job, so I can definitely give you pointers.

PurePerfection fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 5, 2013

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Benny, your writing style, it's like what a stupid person thinks a smart person sounds like.

PurePerfection posted:

A friend or relative who has experience interviewing job candidates could be an immense help to you if they're willing to do some mock interviews with you and provide feedback.

This is good advice, Benny, you need to find a grown-up to help you out with this stuff. This should have happened a long time ago, a mentor should have taught you how to interview for, and get, a job. Maybe this was a failure of our nation's education system, or your idiot parents, or maybe someone did try but you were sidetracked thinking about who would win if Spiderman fought Captain America in a cage match. None of that matters now though, find a friend or uncle or aunt who has found moderate success in life to give you advice.

This thread may provide you some useful advice, but it's main purpose now is to serve as a medium to call you a fat moron who wastes his meager earnings on comic books, movies, and forum avatar changes.

Extra Large Marge fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 5, 2013

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Arian_Samurai posted:

who would win if Spiderman fought Captain America in a cage match.

I feel sorry for the Target shopper whose car ends up with a cart-shaped dent tonight while Benny daydreams about this epic battle.

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating
Benny, do you hang out any friends like outside of videogames and forums and whatever else kind of poo poo.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Benny the Snake posted:

True. I guess I've developed this misconception: I've invested so much time and money into my degree so I need to find something that will be worth that time and investment. But right now that's neither here nor there. The main objective is to find a job regardless of what kind of work it is. I'm going to go through a lot of humbling and gain a new sense of perspective out of this.

I genuinely feel bad for you. I'm approaching my 30s, and have so many friends that went to college, and so many friends that can't find work. I'm doing OK without it, every time I regret it I find a story like yours and then realize I'm better off without it.
One of them has a BA in English. She's babysitting at a daycare center. She was in the Amity program, and taught english in Japan for a few years. She came back here to try again, could not find work, and is going back to Japan in the Jet program. It's worth looking at. They do not want you really to know Japanese at all.

Try looking at hospitals too, there are lots of office positions, secretarial, medical records, data entry and such. Or even entry level IT stuff, help desk. There are positions that pays better than pizza shops.

I think I saw in a post you looked at staffing agencies too?

You could always look at blue collar work too. Join a union. My brother does ductworking, and he is making bank. The unions are evil as gently caress, but they will train you and get you working.

Edit: I'm not going to fault you OP either. I know so many people who finished college, now all they do is protest about the "system". One of them, her father even bought her a house for her and her husband. Her husband delivers pizzas part time. They both go out and protest on a regular basis. That's much worse than feeling a little bit of entitlement because you got your degree, and playing video games.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 7, 2013

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

The main objective is to find a job regardless of what kind of work it is.

You have a job. Try to excel in it. When you can work full time pushing carts with one hand and handing out flyers with another, it is time to move on.

Why did you pursue exact degree you have now? Was it because you leaned towards it or outside influence?
If it is latter, write this investment off as "expenses due to life lesson learned" and spend some time thinking what would be the best course for your life.

Also, you don't need a degree to be an awesome professional. So having inappropriate degree should have no impact on changing profession (you push carts now, right?).

When negotiating for a position and getting questions like: "You have english major and are applying for a mechanic position? How come?"
You can answer that degree is a proof of your ability to start and finish a project. Nothing is left half done even if the end result doesn't satisfy you.
This is how you build credibility.

If you are serious about literature, try getting a tutoring position (it was suggested before in this thread). That will give you both, portfolio and some income. Focus on portfolio, income comes second (even if you think another way around).

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Edit: I'm not going to fault you OP either. I know so many people who finished college, now all they do is protest about the "system". One of them, her father even bought her a house for her and her husband. Her husband delivers pizzas part time. They both go out and protest on a regular basis. That's much worse than feeling a little bit of entitlement because you got your degree, and playing video games.

I dunno, I can see why someone who feels that they did everything they were supposed to do in order to be successful in life and comes out instead with enormous debt, very few job prospects and the inability to afford a place to live without help would be pretty angry. Not to mention the studies they have done that indicate that people who enter the job market during an economic downturn are disadvantaged for their whole lives because of it, because they are always lagging behind and are less able to take advantage of opportunities than those who entered during times of prosperity.

If people feel "entitled" because they got a degree, it's because that's the expectation that's placed on people in our current society. Kids in school are made to feel that they need to go to college and get a degree to be successful and that getting a degree will lead to some kind of salary paying job. It may not be true, and is certainly not true right now, but for almost everyone who earns a degree there's a lot of time and a certain amount of effort that goes into it and I don't think it's "entitlement" to expect that you aren't putting in that time and effort for nothing.

As for Benny, the city of Chino PD is looking for a typist: http://www.cityofchino.org/index.aspx?recordid=241&page=221

It's only part time but looks like it pays better than Target and is more of a clerical job if you're looking to go more in that direction.

I think you also really should be saving up for a car. Since you can live with your parents, I would put a car above moving out. Where you are, it's going to be much easier to find a job if you can drive. Your job search will totally open up if you can commute to Orange County and Riverside and then if you find a job you like and are doing well there, you can think about moving somewhere near your job.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Lowly posted:

I dunno, I can see why someone who feels that they did everything they were supposed to do in order to be successful in life and comes out instead with enormous debt, very few job prospects and the inability to afford a place to live without help would be pretty angry. Not to mention the studies they have done that indicate that people who enter the job market during an economic downturn are disadvantaged for their whole lives because of it, because they are always lagging behind and are less able to take advantage of opportunities than those who entered during times of prosperity.

If people feel "entitled" because they got a degree, it's because that's the expectation that's placed on people in our current society. Kids in school are made to feel that they need to go to college and get a degree to be successful and that getting a degree will lead to some kind of salary paying job. It may not be true, and is certainly not true right now, but for almost everyone who earns a degree there's a lot of time and a certain amount of effort that goes into it and I don't think it's "entitlement" to expect that you aren't putting in that time and effort for nothing.

As for Benny, the city of Chino PD is looking for a typist: http://www.cityofchino.org/index.aspx?recordid=241&page=221

It's only part time but looks like it pays better than Target and is more of a clerical job if you're looking to go more in that direction.

I think you also really should be saving up for a car. Since you can live with your parents, I would put a car above moving out. Where you are, it's going to be much easier to find a job if you can drive. Your job search will totally open up if you can commute to Orange County and Riverside and then if you find a job you like and are doing well there, you can think about moving somewhere near your job.
Hey thanks for the link. I'm actually going to City of Chino tomorrow for my psych services so I'll have an application and resume ready to drop off over there.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Yes everyone should be grateful for their lovely part-time jobs and just rely on handouts from their parents. Going out to protest and try to change things is basically the worst thing you can do.

Dorky
Mar 10, 2012
I come back because there's been 300+ posts since I last checked, and it seems things are still going slowly and a bit frustratingly.

Benny, did you have that interview with California Pizza Kitchen yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Dr_Amazing posted:

Yes everyone should be grateful for their lovely part-time jobs and just rely on handouts from their parents. Going out to protest and try to change things is basically the worst thing you can do.
This is like Adulting 101 to a lot of people. 'Things are terrible! I guess I just have to knuckle down and accept it like a grown up!'

• Locked thread