Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

My point really is that it isn't the "MO" of the firms. I absolutely agree that poo poo happens but that isn't what they set out to do. The idea of the sort of 'clock work orange' type of thug doesn't exist, that was really my point.

The fatter guy in the red isn't, it's the thin guy in the blue and the cap behind him. Watch the video again, he is blatant.

I've no idea if that guy's a provocateur or what but he's clearly hit first, being pushed twice and then shoved into the wall. They could easily have arrested the both of them for that assault and probably would have if the guy hadn't taken a swing.

Also your assertion that there's no such thing as a football thug who indiscriminately attacks people is just plain as wrong as it gets and makes me wonder if you've ever actually attended a (non-Premiership) match, because there's loving hundreds of them at every ground.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

banning football colours isn't just about violence anyway.

similarly to "no stag / hen parties" signs there's an assumption that they'll probably take drunkenness too far, be too loud, sing, take over the pub, etc that'll annoy or scare away other patrons.

(not that that's a fair assumption to tar every group with)

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Lee Rigby Murder, Swastikas, BNP & UKIP Daubed On Muslim Graves.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...26pLid%3D191739

quote:

Muslim graves have been defaced with swastikas and phrases including “Lee Rigby murder” and “white power” in a cemetery in south Wales.

The vandalism was committed on four tombstones in a predominantly Muslim area of the Newport graveyard.

The graffiti was accompanied with the initials of British National Party (BNP), the UK Independence Party (Ukip), and the National Front (NF).

A council graffiti team is still working to remove the marks - which have left the local community in shock.

Mubarak Ali, who is secretary of the Islamic Society for Wales, urged the Muslim community to remain calm, despite the grave of his relative Sardar Ali being damaged.

"I'm appealing to the Muslim community for calm and not to react in a negative or violent way to this evil incident. Obviously, people are really angry and upset, but we must remember it is a small minority of idiots who did this.

"Most people in Newport get on very well, from all different backgrounds and it's only the small minority that spoils it for the others," the 51-year-old said.

[...]

Article continues in the link and more photos aswell.

Having to debate with people on facebook about this who go (abriged/edited) "oh golly gosh this can't have been done by BNP and UKIP members most likely just some thick <slur>". :suicide:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 4, 2013

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
No you see, it was the Muslims or the Loony Lefties that did this to make EDL/UKIP look bad

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I think that a lot of big team fans who have only ever followed football since sky bought the top flight have been insulated from the realities of a poorly policed match day. Stoke has calmed down a lot since the early 2000s but I used to go to home and away games and both Cardiff and Millwall had been in clashes with Stoke so bad that they weren't allowed away fan allocations anymore. Also wearing the wrong kit into the wrong pub will cause trouble, something like a Vale strip in the wrong pubs in Stoke for instance. The idea its 'to keep the poors out' might fly for hipster bars in London but if you kept the poors out of a bar in Stoke then you have no customers at all.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Hooligans on their way to an off (arranged fight) will not wear team colours. Here in Denmark they will wear certain clothing brands like Stone Island to identify one another, but that's it - and they will never fight anyone nor included in the arrangement, barring police interference or non-coordinated ambush.

That said, yes, football fans drink, are loud and have fun. God forbid we let those people enter a party.. Seems to be the whole debacle was more about hipsters being too scared of people who are not pretentious twats not in on the proper ironic way to not party, here.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

At least they're civilized brawls in Scandinavia. I mean, just look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6wjMj24Lp0

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Tias posted:

That said, yes, football fans drink, are loud and have fun. God forbid we let those people enter a party.. Seems to be the whole debacle was more about hipsters being too scared of people who are not pretentious twats not in on the proper ironic way to not party, here.

Oh come the gently caress on. Everyone doesn't find the atmosphere of a matchday sports bar very appealing.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Ras Het posted:

Oh come the gently caress on. Everyone doesn't find the atmosphere of a matchday sports bar very appealing.

The easy solution to that 'problem' is to not go on matchdays to a sports bar then.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Total Meatlove posted:

The easy solution to that 'problem' is to not go on matchdays to a sports bar then.

.. yes, but I'm not sure how that's relevant to pubs banning club colours.

Tias
May 25, 2008

It's relevant because sports bar are sportsbar. They do not cater to people who are uncomfortable with large amounts of people shouting at the television and each other. Even if your don't own a sports bar, banning people in team colours does nothing to guarentee an rear end in a top hat-free evening, and discriminates against football fans.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
We don't really have sports bars here in the UK though do we? Not in the sense that they do in the US for example.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Serotonin posted:

We don't really have sports bars here in the UK though do we? Not in the sense that they do in the US for example.

There's a few of them, and they're loving terrible.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

Serotonin posted:

We certainly do in Sunny Croydon (tm)

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's a few of them, and they're loving terrible.

They are quite good if you want to watch some sport and have a drink in a place with some atmosphere.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Serotonin posted:

Are you saying English pubs don't have television sets and show games when they're on? If so, England isn't anything like I imagined :psyduck:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
We had one in Bristol but it shut down. Much rather watch it in a pub anyway.

Tias posted:

Are you saying English pubs don't have television sets and show games when they're on? If so, England isn't anything like I imagined :psyduck:

They do but they're not the same thing as a US-style sports bar

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

Tias posted:

No we do, I think Serotonin means bars specifically for watching sports, theres some pubs which cater to say football fans, but there aren't a huge number of pubs/bars that are sports non stop.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In more news of people being stupid, a member of the Oxford debating society has asked Stephen Yaxley-Lennon/Tommeh to participate in a debate on nationalism. Sources are unclear on whether the motion he'd table would be 'kick all the brown people out' or 'kick all the brown people out'.

quote:

Oxford University's debating society has invited controversial EDL leader Tommy Robinson to debate on nationalism amid concerns over "endangering" students.

A member of the Oxford Union tweeted Robinson saying the society would "love" to host him as a speaker, but the invitation has been met with criticism, including from the president of the student union.

Simon Blackaby, one of the prestigious society's committee members and the instigator of the invitation, received a reply from Robinson asking to swap numbers.

Simon Blackaby @SBlackaby
Simon Blackaby
@EDLTrobinson the @OxfordUnion would love to host you as a speaker. Do you have an email address so that a formal invitation can be sent?
June 28, 2013 1:03 pm via web Reply Retweet Favorite

Tommy Robinson EDL @EDLTrobinson
Tommy Robinson EDL
@SBlackaby @OxfordUnion dm me your number
June 28, 2013 1:41 pm via Twitter for iPhone Reply Retweet Favorite

Blackaby later tweeted: "I like to hear different views in a debate. If everyone thought the same the debate would be quite boring. We believe in free speech and an open and interesting debates and therefore welcome a variety of different views."

The president of the Union Parit Wacharasindhu defended the invite but admitted there were some security concerns. "The society is founded on the principle of free speech," he said. "It provides neutral arena where political views as long as they are contested.

"There will be security concerns - an issue raised by other parties - which need to be resolved. The debate format ensures his views are extensively questioned and scrutinised.

"No speakers are ever given a platform nor are their views ever endorsed by the society or any of the individuals in it."

Josh Harbourne @theoneharbourne
Josh Harbourne
@HPUKStudents We live in a democracy. People like Robinson, regardless of how acerbic others find his views, should be given a platform.
July 3, 2013 10:44 am via web Reply Retweet Favorite

Alex Etches @AnAngryAlex
Alex Etches
@theoneharbourne @HPUKStudents The ideology of Robinson is the same as the one that killed Stephen Lawrence, where is his free speech?
July 3, 2013 11:32 am via web Reply Retweet Favorite

The National Union of Students warned the presence of Robinson could "endanger" students.

"The Oxford Union is in not a students’ union and is in no way affiliated with NUS," a union spokesperson said. "NUS has a long-standing policy of providing no platform to speak at our events to representatives of the EDL and non-one from NUS would share a platform with them.

"Tommy Robinson’s views are well-known and abhorrent so providing a platform for them adds nothing to the debate and risks endangering students."

Hannah B @H_Bettsworth
Hannah B
@HPUKStudents fair enough, he'll just show himself up as an idiot. Like he does when he's on the telly.
July 3, 2013 10:55 am via Echofon Reply Retweet Favorite

Tom Rutland, president of Oxford's student union - a separate entity from the debating union - told HuffPost UK it was a "pointless stunt".

"The welfare of students is our utmost priority. Fascist speakers who spread hate and threats that extend to members of our student body, and often bring with them a rally of violent and dangerous thugs, are clearly a threat to student safety.

"There is no value in inviting or hosting hate speakers in the name of ‘free speech’ when they themselves do not believe in free speech nor a free society, and stand on a platform of oppressing people because of their race, religion, gender or sexuality. The EDL are simply the newest torchbearers of the dying but dangerous fascist movement in the UK.

"There is a place for ‘challenging views’ but no-one is going to go into the debate agreeing with Robinson, and no-one will come out supporting him.

"Similarly, though I do not deny the persuasive talents of our students, I very much doubt anyone will persuade this nasty and irrational individual of the absurdity of his position, rendering the entire stunt rather pointless."

Unite Against Fascism's joint secretary Weyman Bennett told student paper Cherwell: "I oppose the invitation to Tommy Robinson and will call a peaceful demonstration."

Robinson, whose real name is Stephen Lennon, was arrested on Saturday on suspicion of obstructing officers in East London.

The EDL was founded in 2009 as a street protest movement. It describes itself as a "human rights organization" that "protests against radical Islam's encroachment into the lives of non-Muslims".

In January this year, Oxford Union did revoke an invitation it had extended to Nick Griffin, the leader of the BNP, to debate the topic: "This house would be glad to have gay parents".

The society said the invitation wasn't authorised by senior members and that "disciplinary action" would be taken against the junior member responsible. The Union said it "does not wet to be associated with BNP in any way whatsoever" and that it "strongly disagree(s) with their views."

At least the idiot who suggested it sounds like he's going to get a kicking from the society's senior members. What, did he think the Muslim/non-white participants at previous debates were insufficiently intimidated or something?

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
Pubs and sport bars aside there has been a vilification of supporting football. I'm not a football fan myself- it leaves me cold. My mate is. We've been to a few lively demos together back in the day. He contrasted the policing of football matches and demonstrations by pointing out how loving soft and polite the police are at demos when it gets a bit rough.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Tias posted:

It's relevant because sports bar are sportsbar. They do not cater to people who are uncomfortable with large amounts of people shouting at the television and each other. Even if your don't own a sports bar, banning people in team colours does nothing to guarentee an rear end in a top hat-free evening, and discriminates against football fans.

Who does a pub that happens to have a few TVs cater towards then? Isn't that the whole point of the ban, "feel free to watch the match, but no Fan Culture"? Like, vague class considerations aside, I totally support that attitude. And I say this as someone who watches football religiously.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Darth Walrus posted:

"No speakers are ever given a platform nor are their views ever endorsed by the society or any of the individuals in it."

But... the invitation to speak is the platform, isn't it? :psyduck:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ras Het posted:

Who does a pub that happens to have a few TVs cater towards then? Isn't that the whole point of the ban, "feel free to watch the match, but no Fan Culture"? Like, vague class considerations aside, I totally support that attitude. And I say this as someone who watches football religiously.

I think "No Colours" policies are either snobbish "Ugh no working-class people in here" or in Croydon, where Palace and Millwall fans trash the place at least twice a year, although obviously that's excluding pubs in the immediate vicinity of grounds with a history of trouble who have the no colours policy for pretty sound safety reasons.

I don't think I've ever seen a pub that shows football but has a "No colours" policy outside of the aforementioned Croydon town centre though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Crashbee posted:

But... the invitation to speak is the platform, isn't it? :psyduck:

Well, yes. Unless the debate plan was to gag Yaxley-Lennon and tie him to a chair whilst the grown-ups got to debating, I guess.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

In more news of people being stupid, a member of the Oxford debating society has asked Stephen Yaxley-Lennon/Tommeh to participate in a debate on nationalism. Sources are unclear on whether the motion he'd table would be 'kick all the brown people out' or 'kick all the brown people out'.

At least the idiot who suggested it sounds like he's going to get a kicking from the society's senior members. What, did he think the Muslim/non-white participants at previous debates were insufficiently intimidated or something?

I'm loving all the grammatical errors in there. Is the HuffPo just bad at reporting, or all the Oxford Union representatives just poo poo at using proper sentences?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think "No Colours" policies are either snobbish "Ugh no working-class people in here" or in Croydon, where Palace and Millwall fans trash the place at least twice a year, although obviously that's excluding pubs in the immediate vicinity of grounds with a history of trouble who have the no colours policy for pretty sound safety reasons.

I don't think I've ever seen a pub that shows football but has a "No colours" policy outside of the aforementioned Croydon town centre though.

There's a No Colours pub in Edinburgh that I think shows football (can't check, it's also Over 25s Only) and looks to be a typical working-class football type pub. Only place I've seen do it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm loving all the grammatical errors in there. Is the HuffPo just bad at reporting, or all the Oxford Union representatives just poo poo at using proper sentences?

There's a No Colours pub in Edinburgh that I think shows football (can't check, it's also Over 25s Only) and looks to be a typical working-class football type pub. Only place I've seen do it.

Those were tweets from students that HuffPo reposted. People tend to be a bit more grammatically lazy when they're tweeting.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Could be the same situation as Croydon maybe?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Not sure if this is hilarious or tragic

http://edlnews.co.uk/index.php/latest-news/latest-news/1141-edl-s-secret-templar-group-run-by-child-rapist

Looks like high profile EDL activists are cosplaying the Crusades in the woods under the leadership of a convicted paedophile.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Serotonin posted:

http://edlnews.co.uk/index.php/latest-news/latest-news/1141-edl-s-secret-templar-group-run-by-child-rapist

Looks like high profile EDL activists are cosplaying the Crusades in the woods under the leadership of a convicted paedophile.

:downs: What are you talking about that guy is white he can't possibly be a paedophile everyone knows only muslims are paedos cos of sharia law saying they have to be and since it's impossible for white guys to be muslims that guy is clearly not a paedophile :britain:

Tias
May 25, 2008

mfcrocker posted:

We had one in Bristol but it shut down. Much rather watch it in a pub anyway.

They do but they're not the same thing as a US-style sports bar

We're talking way past each other, then. I've never been in USA, but here in Denmark, over half the bars/pubs have TVs, and will at the very least put on a game if a patron requests it. Certain establishments will make a bigger deal out of it, buying widescreens and hosting special cup evenings, but it's a pretty common idea.

Incidentally, none of these places ban team colours, and the world hasn't ended yet. Fans of hostile teams keep to their own places, or go without colours and have fun somewhere else.

Iohannes
Aug 17, 2004

FREEEEEEEEEDOM

Serotonin posted:

Slenan has been diagnosed as a psychopath, but I'm sure if we just sat him down with a cup of tea, he'd change his mind. Right, Spacedad?

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Tias posted:

We're talking way past each other, then. I've never been in USA, but here in Denmark, over half the bars/pubs have TVs, and will at the very least put on a game if a patron requests it. Certain establishments will make a bigger deal out of it, buying widescreens and hosting special cup evenings, but it's a pretty common idea.

Well, then it's basically the same as in the UK. Like someone said in most pubs the idea is "feel free to watch the game, but we don't want any trouble". Pub landlords (unless they are running a place that specifically caters to fans) generally want as much business as possible, so they try to keep a balanced atmosphere that includes fans without scaring off pretentious hipsters or whatever. Usually the balance is tipped towards the new customers and their prejudices, since the patronage of locals is somewhat more assured. It's not necessarily reflecting the landlords' personal views when they make the problematic assumption that colours = "trouble": rather, their business model. I suppose they focus on apparel because it makes loyalties really apparent, though it seems arbitrary because loudly commentating on a game and cheering for your side has the same effect, yet I've never seen anyone pull up their customers for doing that. This is all assuming it's in an area that doesn't have the precedent to justify paranoia about hooliganism.

TL;DR there is definitely classist subtext but it's not exactly simple.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Well, then it's basically the same as in the UK. Like someone said in most pubs the idea is "feel free to watch the game, but we don't want any trouble". Pub landlords (unless they are running a place that specifically caters to fans) generally want as much business as possible, so they try to keep a balanced atmosphere that includes fans without scaring off pretentious hipsters or whatever. Usually the balance is tipped towards the new customers and their prejudices, since the patronage of locals is somewhat more assured. It's not necessarily reflecting the landlords' personal views when they make the problematic assumption that colours = "trouble": rather, their business model. I suppose they focus on apparel because it makes loyalties really apparent, though it seems arbitrary because loudly commentating on a game and cheering for your side has the same effect, yet I've never seen anyone pull up their customers for doing that. This is all assuming it's in an area that doesn't have the precedent to justify paranoia about hooliganism.

TL;DR there is definitely classist subtext but it's not exactly simple.

Good, we're on the same page then! For a moment there I thought England had stopped caring about football, and then what has come of the world?

/footballchat.

So, in Denmark there's this immigrant who is actually a pedophile, convicted of raping a ten-year old - and now the racist knobs who tried to make a foothold in Århus up in arms again, arranging a demonstration last week with the help and attendance of Danish fascists formerly with the Danish Defense League. This could be bad, if they can use to mobilize a lot of the fence-sitting racists who usually won't associate themselves with the fascists, and it seems they will.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

It's not out of character for them, the Oxford debating society has a long history of inviting complete pieces of poo poo and outright fascists to speak at their debates: Nixon, Reagan, Thatcher, Jerry Falwell, Nick Griffin, NF leader and BNP founder John Tyndall, Holocaust denier David Irving, Scott Lively (Lively authored ‘The Pink Swastika’, a book blaming the holocaust on gays, and is an ardent supporter of Uganda’s planned death penalty for gays)...

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Could be the same situation as Croydon maybe?

Unless it's a team pub there's no colours in any pub or club in Glasgow. You'll rarely even get away with wearing one in a pub that's all Celtic fans as regulars, it has to be a proper team bar. That said, I've never been in a bar on any match day that didn't have a TV going with it on.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
You're more then welcome to wear your filthy Hun colours in my pub in Aberdeen, but please pay attention to the framed picture of the Gothenburg Greats over there and the sign on the wall forbidding all mention of England 1966.

The SDL were in Aberdeen today, on the 25th anniversary of the Piper Alpha disaster. They were cordoned off while their spokesperson with the heaviest Leeds (I think it was, at least) accent I've ever heard kept asking us why we were all being quiet. He may have failed to notice the massive LET US MOURN IN PEACE banner we were displaying, but oh well.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Going over the thread about New Atheism and its relationship with Islam, I've read a lot of articles about this movement's opinions on Muslims, some even-handed and some not so much. With that in mind, I really have to ask: the gently caress is Pat Condell's deal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN5TgItGWlk

He's made a Youtube video crying over the fact that no, the English Defense League aren't racists (and aren't even far-right!), and that they're being unfairly victimized by groups like UAF. :byodood:

It's really bothering me that we have people who ostensibly care so much about human rights that of course they have to criticize hateful ideologies like Islam, yet also have zero compunctions about jumping into bed with neo-nazis.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Bedlamdan posted:

Going over the thread about New Atheism and its relationship with Islam, I've read a lot of articles about this movement's opinions on Muslims, some even-handed and some not so much. With that in mind, I really have to ask: the gently caress is Pat Condell's deal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN5TgItGWlk

He's made a Youtube video crying over the fact that no, the English Defense League aren't racists (and aren't even far-right!), and that they're being unfairly victimized by groups like UAF. :byodood:

It's really bothering me that we have people who ostensibly care so much about human rights that of course they have to criticize hateful ideologies like Islam, yet also have zero compunctions about jumping into bed with neo-nazis.

Who's Pat Condell and why should we care what he thinks? The New Atheists often remind me a lot of the Men's Rights Advocates, pissing away opportunities to deal with legitimate issues and improve society in favour of attacking a group that isn't the actual cause of their problems.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Puntification posted:

Who's Pat Condell and why should we care what he thinks? The New Atheists often remind me a lot of the Men's Rights Advocates, pissing away opportunities to deal with legitimate issues and improve society in favour of attacking a group that isn't the actual cause of their problems.

If you realise that the true driver behind (most, if not all) MRAs is actually "Oh no it's very slightly less massively advantageous to be a white straight male" then the parallel becomes a bit clearer I think.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Pat Condell is like, the cleaner, less oil-on-his-genitals version of the Amazing Atheist. There's a pretty decent RationalWiki article about him.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If you realise that the true driver behind (most, if not all) MRAs is actually "Oh no it's very slightly less massively advantageous to be a white straight male" then the parallel becomes a bit clearer I think.

Are you suggesting it's massively advantageous to be an Atheist in the US? Because I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

• Locked thread