Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elec posted:

Oh and to add on to what I said about 9 and Amarant, I think it might be more acceptable to me in 8 to have non-essential characters because the focus is clearly meant to be on just those few characters, whereas 9, even though it may drop some characters' threads, everyone else has a rather satisfying arc.

I gotcha, I see now.

Personally I've always found that Amarant has a surprising amount of development as he goes from "rear end in a top hat with a score to settle" to "rear end in a top hat with a heart of gold"--embodied in how at the end he's shown to care about his new friends, but he's still a gruff fucker--but while he gets development, he's kinda throwaway and the plot would move at the same pace had he never joined up.

Freya, now that's a character I take issue with. A lot of folks seem to misremember her (or at least I think it seems like this is the case) as being a strong woman role. Really she's just a clingy, unchanging, one-dimensional cutout who, in every scene after Burmecia, seems like she has to shoehorn in a line about MY FRATLEY, whether it's outloud or (thinking to herself). In contrast to Amarant changing and growing due to his interactions with the party, her ending is that she hooks back up with Fratley. She doesn't care that he's completely lost his memory, she just wants him and never gets over that. It's really kinda creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I don't really mind her ending up dedicated to Fratley at the end, because I've loved somebody enough to do something like that and the bittersweet "this person has forgotten me and my development is moving on" is kind of a cliche, but she could've been more three-dimensional and nuanced a character and developed a more subtle and mature attitude about it or something. Devotion doesn't make somebody weak and obsession with the right thing for the right reasons isn't even necessarily bad, she's just not well-written and disappears from the limelight pretty quickly. It's too static.

Baku fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 4, 2013

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
On the other hand, she's got a pretty bitchin' character design and Dragoons are cool and she's the easiest character to make overpowered.

But yeah, her character development was weak. Still, I think you can be a "strong female character" while still being deeply in love with someone. She still travels the world on her own, is an accomplished warrior in her own right, has a strong sense of duty to protect her homeland, and can keep up with "the boys" just fine. She's no Rosa, whose entire purpose was to follow Cecil around like a puppy.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 4, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Freya is just a complete waste of a character. She completely vanishes from the plot so early on that it barely matters. She's just there to fill out your character roster. Quina remains plot-relevant longer than Freya does.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mazed posted:

That godawful engrish buttrock is what truly made that fight. :allears:

I speak with only partial irony. It was just goofy as hell in every way, but the last real battle in FFX was sincerely enjoyable for what it was.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Otherworld_%28Theme%29

It was sung by a native English speaker :v: although lyrics were written by a Japanese speaker and the growling didn't help.

Man I'm so psyched to replay FFX, for some reason I have a lot more nostalgia for it than the PS1/SNES games. Maybe it's because I can't replay it on like 5 different devices

ImpAtom posted:

Freya is just a complete waste of a character. She completely vanishes from the plot so early on that it barely matters. She's just there to fill out your character roster. Quina remains plot-relevant longer than Freya does.

Amarant

Pope on fire
May 12, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Otherworld_%28Theme%29

It was sung by a native English speaker :v: although lyrics were written by a Japanese speaker and the growling didn't help.

Man I'm so psyched to replay FFX, for some reason I have a lot more nostalgia for it than the PS1/SNES games. Maybe it's because I can't replay it on like 5 different devices

Amarant

Probably because FFX had a pretty great plot. I like the difference between the Japanese edition and the Western one of the final scene, with Tidus disappearing and Yuna thanks him, instead of saying I love you.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Freya would have had more development had she gotten over Ratley and tried to jump Zidane's bones. That isn't a good thing.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Final Fantasy VII just got rerereleased on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/39140/

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Petiso posted:

Final Fantasy VII just got rerereleased on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/39140/

Word of warning, this version of the game has DRM and requires you to log in with a Square-Enix or Facebook account. You will also need to get a separate mod to fix the sound to be like the PS1 version, the synth voices are not as good in the PC release.

Also for some reason its US$16 in Australia.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Is it just a rerelease of the lovely PC port? I remember if you play that at anything but the native resolution for the FMVs which is something stupid like 480x360 it crashes when the Weapons appear. This is after that hour-long cutscene where Cloud flips out so you have to go through a boss fight and then all that stuff again. It was, of course, under "known issues" on their site FAQ and never got fixed.

This is why calling the PC port lovely is not opinion but objective fact.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

I gotcha, I see now.

Personally I've always found that Amarant has a surprising amount of development as he goes from "rear end in a top hat with a score to settle" to "rear end in a top hat with a heart of gold"--embodied in how at the end he's shown to care about his new friends, but he's still a gruff fucker--but while he gets development, he's kinda throwaway and the plot would move at the same pace had he never joined up.

Freya, now that's a character I take issue with. A lot of folks seem to misremember her (or at least I think it seems like this is the case) as being a strong woman role. Really she's just a clingy, unchanging, one-dimensional cutout who, in every scene after Burmecia, seems like she has to shoehorn in a line about MY FRATLEY, whether it's outloud or (thinking to herself). In contrast to Amarant changing and growing due to his interactions with the party, her ending is that she hooks back up with Fratley. She doesn't care that he's completely lost his memory, she just wants him and never gets over that. It's really kinda creepy.

Watching Amarant and Freya's ATE in Treno in Disc 3, Zidane rescuing Amarant in Ipsen's Castle, and then the Fire Shrine scene, it's actually pretty cool. He still comes really late and you're barely forced to use him outside of very brief parts in Iifa Tree, Ipsen's Castle and Pandemonium, so he's so easily forgettable. On the other hand, I feel giving him excessive spotlight would make him a turn-off extremely quickly. Maybe swap his and Freya's roles somewhat - give Freya the late development and have Amarant's big character development in the first two discs, then let him fade into the background.

Makepeace
Mar 28, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

Is it just a rerelease of the lovely PC port? I remember if you play that at anything but the native resolution for the FMVs which is something stupid like 480x360 it crashes when the Weapons appear. This is after that hour-long cutscene where Cloud flips out so you have to go through a boss fight and then all that stuff again. It was, of course, under "known issues" on their site FAQ and never got fixed.

This is why calling the PC port lovely is not opinion but objective fact.

I am unsure if this is the same port, in the steam features list it says it is optimized for the latest hardware etc. They have also added a couple new features such as some character booster where you can upgrade your characters HP and MP if the game is too hard for you, which in turn removes from the quintessential final fantasy experience of grinding mobs until your a high enough level for the boss. I would just like to think that if they are going to tag these features on they would at least allow the game to run at modern resolutions etc.

Why can't they release a PC port like this for FF IX, I would love to run through that agin and last time I tried my PS1 crapped out!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It is a rerelease of the old PC port that fixes game-crashing bugs and poo poo and makes it run at all on modern OSes and has chievers. It doesn't have new content or any sick advantages (aside from mods people have made I guess???) over the PSX version or anything like that.

Basically it's workmanlike for people who want to play Final Fantasy 7 and don't have a working Playstation or Playstation 3 or whatever but it's not like the FFX HD thing or even like the Advance versions of SNES games. There's no real value-add or incentive for somebody who can play the game another way and you have to gently caress with their stupid Square-Enix ID thing even on Steam apparently.

Baku fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 4, 2013

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jul 14, 2017

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Jesto posted:

Doesn't this version of FF7 have lovely music compared to the original PSX version? I heard that complaint popping up a lot a year ago.

What benefits does this version have over what you can play on any emulator? You can optimize the poo poo out of the game graphically and musically on an emulator, you can enter any gameshark codes you want, you can savestate anywhere you want, you can frameskip to get through boring parts and you can add mods to the game. So is this just an altogether inferior product to what you can do with your old FF7 disc in your PC?

Edit: It apparently requires either a Facebook account or a Square-Enix account to allow you to play the game, if the FF7 Steam forums are any indication. Avoid this poo poo at all costs.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/39140/discussions/0/846958001156504606/

It just requires you to login one time, then you can play it offline if you want to, at least according to your link.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Christ, why is having to login to Facebook such a problem for people?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Probably because it's unnecessary and doesn't benefit us at all. It only takes a few seconds, but I understand why people react negatively to every roadblock between them and the games they buy.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

1st AD posted:

Christ, why is having to login to Facebook such a problem for people?

Some people don't have or want a facebook account.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dauntasa posted:

Some people don't have or want a facebook account.

I have a facebook account and I don't want gaming services throwing poo poo all over it usually

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

I have a facebook account and I don't want gaming services throwing poo poo all over it usually

"THE AWESOME GHOST has defeated GUARD SCORPION! Share this with your friends!"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Plus it's just outright silly to have that sort of DRM (or any DRM at all for that matter) on a port of a 15+ year old game. The people that would pirate it have already done so long ago!

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Then make a throw away SE account?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

New LR trailer. Woop woop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt5Zz3augD4

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's still needless, insulting steps you shouldn't have to take to play a game. 99% of games on steam don't require that type of bullshit to function and a port of a fifteen year old, offline-only game is hardly the type that does need such verification.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

A Steampunk Gent posted:

It's still needless, insulting steps you shouldn't have to take to play a game. 99% of games on steam don't require that type of bullshit to function and a port of a fifteen year old, offline-only game is hardly the type that does need such verification.

It doesn't use Steam DRM. If it did, you'd have to log into your Steam account at least once to play it.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Oh gently caress Fang's back. Let's hope she ditched Vanille somewhere in crystal limbo.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Fang being back is awesome, but I'm kinda curious as to what's up with Serah being both alive and evil.

Beating up Noel's gonna be so drat fun from the looks of things too, wow.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I started 13-2 right after beating 13 and never finished it because I burned out but drat I guess I missed a lot because this story has gone off the rails.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

AlmightyBob posted:

I started 13-2 right after beating 13 and never finished it because I burned out but drat I guess I missed a lot because this story has gone off the rails.

The ending to 13-2 is pretty incredible and really sets the tone for Lightning Returns.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Rueish posted:

The ending to 13-2 is pretty incredible and really sets the tone for Lightning Returns.

I'll get back to it eventually, maybe next year. The problem is I'm one of those people that will have to start over after not playing it for a while.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Hell yes Fang! Hopefully she'll get more lines than in FFXIII-2. This is looking better and better!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Skip to 24:50 and you get some more footage as well.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

ImpAtom posted:

My problem with Freya is that she doesn't have a personality. Nothing she does or says is interesting. At the start of disc 3, she sticks with Zidane's crew to track down Kuja. She doesn't say why but you can assume it's for revenge since Kuja helped extinguish most of her race. There's just no emotion behind it. Does she want vengeance? Does she want to kill Kuja so he can't harm others like he did with the Burmecians? The player is never told this. Freya is so bland.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Freya would have had more development had she gotten over Ratley and tried to jump Zidane's bones. That isn't a good thing.

This, except replace "tried to jump Zidane's bones" with "tried to kill Beatrix".

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Salvage. Your stats and abilities get torn down and you have to travel around to rebuild them.

I guess I can see that, but I hardly think Salvage was inspired by it. For one thing, the bosses in Ultimecia's castle were for unlocking battle commands not actual stats and equipment slots like in Salvage.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

There's a LOT of things that could have been better than a teenager love story with a military academy that is basically just like Japanese high school. Having a main character with Aspergers' was pretty progressive, though.

I don't mind teenage love stories but yeah, they could have done a lot more with the whole Garden thing. We already see what psychological wrecks Squall and Seifer are thanks to spending most of their lives in a military facility and they should have focused more on that. Cid and Edea, while well-intentioned, were raising children as living weapon. This inevitably had pretty bad repercussions as their destined hero was an antisocial wreck and one of their prized students was seduced to the dark side.

But nope, gently caress that poo poo. All the trauma and lack of therapy can be cured by....nothing at all it seems. Cid is just Robin Williams and not even creepy Robin Williams. He's just a kind old man who broughtup these kids with an ulterior motive he only told them about when they were so far in that they had no choice but to go along with it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Except a bunch of orphans being brought up in a military academy as hired killers is never once suggested to be psychologically harmful or the cause of Squall's assholishness. It's not that they should've focused "more" on it- they never mention it at all.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think it's one of those situations where the implication is really hosed up (namely, that raising child soldiers is great, everyone is just doing it wrong) but the people who made the material are just not intelligent or insightful enough to realize what they're saying.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 4, 2013

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Yeah, that's a lot of inference going on. Squall's rear end in a top hat behavior was attributed almost entirely to being abandoned by Ellone.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Terper posted:

Skip to 24:50 and you get some more footage as well.

I like how quickly you can block attacks if you have the ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SpazmasterX posted:

I guess I can see that, but I hardly think Salvage was inspired by it. For one thing, the bosses in Ultimecia's castle were for unlocking battle commands not actual stats and equipment slots like in Salvage.

It's never been said, but I saw influence there. Either way, I think both are rad as hell.