Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

fuf posted:

So DarthMod is bad? What's a good mod for Napoleon? I'm reinstalling it now. The DarthMod increased unit sizes sounded cool.

It's not "bad", it's just not the Nirvana of modding TWC seems to think it is. What it is is a glorified modpack. Admittedly well put together in a way that irons out most of the conflicts, but still just a modpack. It doesn't help that from Empire onwards, you didn't have the really big projects so his mod got bandied about as "The Mod To Have". I do give him credit for at least giving you the option to turn tracers on or off. Most modders turn them off and then refuse to allow them back in due to IMMERSION.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
A new pretty cool screenshot which all the spergs absolutely hate

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah, I hate that pretty hard. This probably means they are going return of the mummy poo poo.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 4, 2013

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Somebody out there is weeping at the lack of his precious pearly white boy Egyptians.

And that is just terrible.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Are those camels running right into a spear wall? That is pretty retarded.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Somebody out there is weeping at the lack of his precious pearly white boy Egyptians.

Hm well the soldiers were almost 100% greek at the time weren't they?

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah, I hate that pretty hard. This probably means they are going return of the mummy poo poo.
From the battle of the Nile it looked like the Egyptian army had Phalanxes and the soldiers didn't look completely ridiculous, I don't think that it will be as ridiculous as in the first rome but more that they have some vaguely ancient looking units for flavor.

PirateBob posted:

Nah, they used some native levies.

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 4, 2013

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Egypt should have elite mummy units as dlc

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

PirateBob posted:

Are those camels running right into a spear wall? That is pretty retarded.

They actually had a lot of different units of different groups. They really have the potential to be the most unique rosters in the game.

Lord Tywin posted:

From the battle of the Nile it looked like the Egyptian army had Phalanxes and the soldiers didn't look completely ridiculous, I don't think that it will be as ridiculous as in the first rome but more that they have some vaguely ancient looking units for flavor.

I would be fine with that.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The Ptolemies weren't keen on arming the native Egyptians, but they did end up doing it in the time period. They look fine. The eye makeup is the only thing that's a little wacky, but I have no idea if they still did that in Hellenic Egypt.

I'm kind of sick of the camels though. Camels always look awful. Cataphract camels is the single dumbest thing about Rome 1.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 4, 2013

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

SeanBeansShako posted:

This reminds me of that one guy in the comments of the Cleopatra video who was convinced that Ancient Egyptians were all black/negroid. In fact i think he is still at it brb.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I think just because the Ptolemies didn't like to use Egyptians in their army that you shouldn't be able to. It's not a linear game that's forced to follow history.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Trujillo posted:

I think just because the Ptolemies didn't like to use Egyptians in their army that you shouldn't be able to. It's not a linear game that's forced to follow history.

Yeah they've outright said that they went with old-Kingdom style Egyptians because it adds an interesting and unique army style to the game instead of yet more loving successor state phalanxes.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

PirateBob posted:

Most Greeks aren't "pearly white" either.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
They haven't gone with old-kingdom Egyptians at all. Look at the units from Rome 1 and compare them to the models in the screenshots.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Earwicker posted:

Most Greeks aren't "pearly white" either.

No poo poo. I didn't say they were. That's not the point. Point is they definitely didn't look like native egyptians. The armies in ptolemian egypt were mostly made up of macedonians/greeks so those who are complaining about historical inaccuracy have got a valid point. CA are arbitrarily selective about what they portray realistically and what they don't, and I can understand some frustration arising from that fact.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Another screenshot, with some badass looking Parthians.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

PirateBob posted:

CA are arbitrarily selective about what they portray realistically and what they don't

Not really arbitrary, they just go with what looks good in a game. I don't see why anybody would get frustrated, CA are really open about making their game before a historical analogue.

What's wrong with the Egyptians there, for somebody not versed in the history? Are their headdresses and stuff too stereotypically ancient Egyptian or something? Me I hope their units march like this.

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 4, 2013

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

Lord Tywin posted:

While that's neat and all, I want my pink pajamas back :colbert:

The game is looking amazing though and I am definitely going to play Parthia first, pajamas or no pajamas

Peruser fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 4, 2013

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm sure the Parthian Militia guys will have something that will be a nod to their classic over the top RTW look.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Lord Tywin posted:

If I was that second Parthian dude I'd be less worried about rallying the men behind me and more concerned with the Roman soldier five feet in front of me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lord Tywin posted:

That is pretty decent, they are still colorful, but not in the weird pajamas look way. Granted I doubt these are standard low tier infantry units.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012
Agreed on those infantrymen probably being late tier units. A bunch of Bactrian hillmen with javelins wouldn't be running around with shirts of tyrian purple. :downs:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The metal klansman at the front is a rather interesting design choice, was armour back then in the "lets make a metal party hat" phase?

Sulla
May 10, 2008

brocretin posted:

:siren::siren::torgue:DEALS SON!:torgue::siren::siren:

%25 off the PREORDER for Rome II on Greenmangaming (steam code) this weekend! (also civ 5 brave new world)

http://blog.playfire.com/2013/06/are-you-keane-for-new-code.html

This deal is still open, but I'd advise against using Rixty as a payment option. I've spent the past 3 days trying to use the code they give you after payment on the GMG site, and it always shows up as "redeemed". So I'm stuck with 50 bucks of useless Rixty credits and no RTW :(

Already opened a support ticket on the GMG site but we all know how these things always turn out...

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord Tywin posted:

The Parthian dude is a casual gamer surprised with the graphics quality of the game.

The disapointed Roman in a TWCer mad at the fact that the Parthian's helmet was only made 20 years before the game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

They haven't gone with old-kingdom Egyptians at all. Look at the units from Rome 1 and compare them to the models in the screenshots.

Well the main problem with the Egyptians in Rome 1 was that they were just a bit poo poo. Giving them some heavy infantry and spearmen is only right even if they aren't being made into a carbon-copy greek faction.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Whoah thanks for posting that deal again I thought I'd missed it.

Josef bugman posted:

The metal klansman at the front is a rather interesting design choice, was armour back then in the "lets make a metal party hat" phase?

Well the Parthians neighbored the Scythians, who were famous for their pointed metal party hats, so I don't see why not.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The cone is to deflect downward swings at your head. That's pretty dang tall though.

drat those camels in the background. drat them to hell. Those are cataphract armoured dudes on camels, what an atrocity.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The cone is to deflect downward swings at your head. That's pretty dang tall though.

drat those camels in the background. drat them to hell. Those are cataphract armoured dudes on camels, what an atrocity.

Why do you hate Camels so much?

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012
Because camels are ill-tempered, smelly, stubborn, stupid assholes probably.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Chainmail gimp masks were the pinnacle of ancient armour technology.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Space Wizard posted:

Because camels are ill-tempered, smelly, stubborn, stupid assholes probably absolutely.

There we go, but I do not think they are armoured, I think its the horsemen in front of them with armour, and the camels are just pottering around in the background.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I remember reading about players having to deal with their factions internal politics, as well as civil wars. Now, if this is applicable to Egypt, could it be possible for a pro-native regime to overthrow the Ptolemaic dynasty and restore native rule? If so, it'd make sense that the new regime would want to use traditional symbols and clothing in order to give them more legitimacy.

That's at least one way I could see CA actually having their "ancient Egyptian" style make sense.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

PBJ posted:

I remember reading about players having to deal with their factions internal politics, as well as civil wars. Now, if this is applicable to Egypt, could it be possible for a pro-native regime to overthrow the Ptolemaic dynasty and restore native rule? If so, it'd make sense that the new regime would want to use traditional symbols and clothing in order to give them more legitimacy.

That's at least one way I could see CA actually having their "ancient Egyptian" style make sense.

That would be cool, but I don't think that's what's going on. There are too many Hellenic factions and making them all similar is just poor game design so they are giving Egyptian units some flair. It's not a big deal.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

PBJ posted:

I think thats almost certain to be the Egyptian internal faction, their native troops rebelled quite a few times historically. Maybe its the native priests who'll lead it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

THS posted:

That would be cool, but I don't think that's what's going on. There are too many Hellenic factions and making them all similar is just poor game design so they are giving Egyptian units some flair. It's not a big deal.

Which is hilarious, considering the real egyptian armies were probably one of the most unique factions that existed (at the time).

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Space Wizard posted:

Because camels are ill-tempered, smelly, stubborn, stupid assholes probably.

So are goons. Are goons forbidden from the game? :colbert:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Man, those Parthians look boss. I guess it makes sense that they sort of look like Sassanids, maybe. Either way, those Egyptians look suitably silly and I expect a mod to "fix" that ASAP. I'm just hoping WAR DOGS aren't the de facto winner of all battles forever. Also, no Arcanii and flaming pigs.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Could my MacBook Air maybe potentially run this via bootcamp? It's got 4 GB RAM, intel 4000 512 MB graphics, and... 1.8 GHz intel i5 dual core processor.

gently caress parthians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Donald Kimball posted:

Could my MacBook Air maybe potentially run this via bootcamp? It's got 4 GB RAM, intel 4000 512 MB graphics, and... 1.8 GHz intel i5 dual core processor.

gently caress parthians.

I think they said they're shooting for systems that could run shogun being able to run this one reasonably as well, so if you can play shogun...